Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Central Heating Best Practise

Options
  • 16-10-2018 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I am wondering what is the best way run our central heating. In our house we have Zone 1 (Downstairs) and Zone 2 (Upstairs), as well as this we have thermostats in the living room and main bedroom.

Is it best to set the heating to come on a few times throughout the day or leave it on and let it cut out once it reaches the temperature that the thermostats are set to?

Up to now we have used the timers to have it come on twice a day but I am wondering is this the most efficient way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What kind of house do you have? How well insulated is it? No point having the heating coming on if you aren't there during the day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Jimmy_Cork wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am wondering what is the best way run our central heating. In our house we have Zone 1 (Downstairs) and Zone 2 (Upstairs), as well as this we have thermostats in the living room and main bedroom.

Is it best to set the heating to come on a few times throughout the day or leave it on and let it cut out once it reaches the temperature that the thermostats are set to?

Up to now we have used the timers to have it come on twice a day but I am wondering is this the most efficient way.
    Yes, so long as it's comfortable like that. There isn't much use in having it come on for such short periods that the place is cold. Also just heat the zones that are needed and keep doors closed.

There is always a battle between comfort and economy.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jimmy_Cork

Effects wrote: »
    What kind of house do you have? How well insulated is it? No point having the heating coming on if you aren't there during the day.

We are living in a 4 bed detached house, Its timber framed and pretty well insulated. We generally have it come on half an hour before we get up for an hour and again in the evening for an hour. I am just wondering if this is the best way of doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

No matter what you do, you cannot run it cheaper that the way your doing it, unless you want more heat of course

Advertisement