Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone recently switched from pc to mac?

Options
  • 16-10-2018 11:44pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Getting a new laptop in work and we now get the option of a macbook pro. I've generally been anti apple, I don't like the iphone and love android, but seriously considering the move for my work laptop - as it will only be for basic stuff like email, office and web etc. I'm just sick of slow and buggy windows - but mainly I think the macbook pro is a really beautiful piece of hardware. I'm just worried there will be things about mac os that will drive me nuts.

I did have a mac many years ago but I used it exclusively for audio stuff - which it is brilliant as it 'just works' when on windows you are constantly messing with drivers etc. However a few things drove me mad on the mac. It was 10 years ago and I'm sure things have changed, but I remember the general file management being a lot more annoying. One thing I remember was when I clicked to open and view and image, I could not simply use the arrow keys to scroll through the other images in the folder, I had to close and open the other one. That's ridiculous. It's things like this that will drive me bananas.

Has anyone here made the change and how did it go? Any main downsides I should know about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a Macbook, boot Windows. Great hardware, software compatibility.

PS: Only applies to work bought stuff as they'll replace it when it breaks. Apples engineering and anti repair policies are really really ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

I have used both and depending on the applications you use for work (some not available for Mac) I would always pick the mac.

I used my MacBook Air for 6 years and still looks new even after 400+ flights, still get 5 hours Battery, only 2 times got the Mac blue screen, never have driver problems and it just opens and works.

I changed jobs and now have a Dell, it drives me nuts! Driver Problems, Dock Problems, Windows Update breaking things, Battery was meant to be 10 hours currently getting 6.5 after 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

MacOS is a lovely user experience. I've pretty much totally moved to it over the past 6 months, bar my gaming rig (Windows) and I also run Linux (PCLinuxOS and Debian) on a couple of backup machines. As eusap said, Mac machines just seem to work without any aggro. Very few long restarts for updates for example, unlike Windows. Good battery life and high quality hardware. Never had to deal with Apple for a repair or anything, mind you.Heard that can be a bit irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Go for it. Android user so not very pro apple but for user experience they can not be beaten. Not that it matters to you but longevity can't be matched by windows in my experience. Typing this on a late 2013 MacBook Pro that's had 1100 battery cycles, and is still running as smoothly as the day I got it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I watched a few videos and the multi touch gestures on the trackpad look fantastic - I love that type of excellent usability. Do any of these work with the mouse as well? One thing that I think is silly is that there is no proper doc or port replicator. The guys in work have a huge web of cables and adaptors to get two monitors working, then network, power etc. Bit ridiculous no? I have a Lenovo and one USB type C able is all I need. Any other downsides I should know about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Get a dell xps, put a dual boot for windows and apple ios.

The XPS is every bit as good if not better than a mac hardware wise but it's cheaper.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Since this is from work I get two options, a lenovo or a mac. I don't have the chocie to get anything else like a Dell.

I might get mac os on a vm just to try it though..

Advertisement