Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daughters Sock Irritation

• 17-10-2018 7:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Ok sooooo

My 5.5 year old diva has decided all her socks feel incomfy and throws a tantrum every morning when she puts them on ( that they are uncomfy , not feeling nice etc) was thinking would seamless socks be the answer ?

I co-parent with her mother and she has the same exact issue over there , must note her brother is nearly 8 and no such issues

Help as im losing the will to live with this one :)

Not really but i wanna help her

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Buy seamless socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

Ok sooooo

My 5.5 year old diva has decided all her socks feel incomfy and throws a tantrum every morning when she puts them on ( that they are uncomfy , not feeling nice etc) was thinking would seamless socks be the answer ?

I co-parent with her mother and she has the same exact issue over there , must note her brother is nearly 8 and no such issues

Help as im losing the will to live with this one :)

Not really but i wanna help her

I don't have a solution for you but you are not alone on this problem. my 5 year old is the same and its been going on for a few years. and its not just socks. she seems to have a problem with most clothes. she does seem to be improving but there was a time where there was hysterics with most of her clothes.
    I gave up buying clothes for her as she would never wear anything new. there is 2 pairs of leggings that she will wear which are aged 3-4 and look like 3/4 lengths as they're too small.
    it used to stress me out but I don't worry about it. her hysterics with clothes is definitely easing off but its taken 2 years. shes happy and healthy otherwise and if she wants to wear leggings too short for her I let her on.

regarding your sock issue my daughter liked to wear socks(again) that were a bit small on her. they were like a 2nd skin. there was no looseness at all. shes wearing normal socks now but she puts her shoe on straight away if she doesn't like the socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Any merit in taking her out on a special shopping trip to choose her own socks? Just you and her,
    no siblings allowed. Make a big deal over how special the socks are. Or trying to source socks themed to her favourite Disney or tv characters?

Would she wear tights instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Any merit in taking her out on a special shopping trip to choose her own socks? Just you and her,
    no siblings allowed. Make a big deal over how special the socks are. Or trying to source socks themed to her favourite Disney or tv characters?

Would she wear tights instead?

Done and done

No amount of bribing works with this one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Sounds like a sensory issue of some sort.

Does she wear tights? Might be a solution, to wear tights under her trousers, she might just not like the sensation/movement of the top of the sock on her shin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you change the washing powder, get her to help buy it, put all the socks in the machine etc. Some can make anyone uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

This is a quite common sensory issue. I know two young girls with same problem, it has gotten better as they get older. You will just have to find a fabric and style she likes and get loads of them. Seams, tags,zips, shiny threads, buttons can all be problematic too. Cotton is the most comfortable material if you can get socks made from that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ah yeah, it's a sensory thing.We have BIG issues wih tags and things being "scratchy" or "too hot".One day something will be fine, the next she's losing her reason over a tag and demanding in a increasingly high pitched tone to "cut it off, cut it off!"(the tag obviously).It's very common.You wil have to shop around and find a type of sock that suits her.Are they school socks that are the issue?Because if not, maybe trainer liners (you know, short sports socks)might work.Sometimes going for a more expensive brand works, as the material in the cheaper brands like penneys etc can be a bit rough and "scratchy".I definitely find proper cotton everything is better for my older one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have you tried bamboo socks.. Might work alot of them dont have massive seams or maybe try some socks like these https://www.mimitoys.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=socks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bonniek

Could you turn them inside out so the seam is on the outside?

• Advertisement
Advertisement