Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PAYE + Non-PAYE earnings + PPS Number, Form 12

• 17-10-2018 8:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm mostly a PAYE earner, over €48k, but recently developed a very cheap website (a once-off sideline, mostly a favour) for someone receiving a public funded grant for it. The invoice is €1200, and the grant issuer wants an invoice with full personal details, PPS number and VAT number (don't have one).

Will I have to complete a Form 12 Tax Return and declare the €1200? If I do will I be hit with at least 50% tax? Would I have to do so by October 31st? Had I realised this I would have charged a bit more for this 'favour'.

What would happen if I didn't fill in a Form 12?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 arriba

Yes, you would need to complete the Form 12 to include the non-PAYE income as it is a taxable income. Tax due would be 40% (because you're in the 40% tax bracket) plus the USC. If this income was this year, complete the 2018 Form 12 once you receive the P60 from your PAYE employer next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

The cheque was handed over and lodged this week, Oct. 15th. So I should wait until next year to report the €1200? Would I be able to gather receipts which might relate to those earnings, to claim back? Like cost of website hosting, wordpress theme purchase, relevant software? Can I submit receipts of all these and claim them against the €1200 specifically?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. New to non-PAYE earnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cojobt wrote: »
    The cheque was handed over and lodged this week, Oct. 15th. So I should wait until next year to report the €1200? Would I be able to gather receipts which might relate to those earnings, to claim back? Like cost of website hosting, wordpress theme purchase, relevant software? Can I submit receipts of all these and claim them against the €1200 specifically?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. New to non-PAYE earnings.

Yes. This years earning are reported next year.

You don't submit receipts to Revenue. But you do prepare yourself some accounts showing your income less expenses.

What you pay tax of 40% + USC + PRSI on is the profit ie income less expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

Yes. This years earning are reported next year.

You don't submit receipts to Revenue. But you do prepare yourself some accounts showing your income less expenses.

What you pay tax of 40% + USC + PRSI on is the profit ie income less expenses.

Ok, thank you. How do I prove expenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

cojobt wrote: »
    Ok, thank you. How do I prove expenses?

With receipts, but you only need to produce then if audited.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Can the OP able avail of the earned income tax credit? (I've posted a related query on another thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

CGI_3 wrote: »
    Can the OP able avail of the earned income tax credit? (I've posted a related query on another thread)

They are already a PAYE worker and you can claim only one, either EI Credit or PAYE credit whichever is able to be used more. With salary of €48K they are using the €1,650 already.

Advertisement