Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

NIMAN wrote: »
    If anything, someone like Casey might actually bring more jobs here, especially to rural parts of the country as he is campaigning for rural Ireland.

If he has contacts like he says he has, maybe a foreign trip here and there, speak to the right people who are looking to set up somewhere, you never know.

Who have you in mind for setting up in a rural location in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Try_harder wrote: »

I think this might have been the original point he was trying to make as he commented on it during the podcast.

I think the media etc just focused on the traveler element and it took off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

gmisk wrote: »
    Did I ever claim he has? Come on lol

Look the president is a figurehead, imo casey would be an embarrassment, Michael D is the opposite like he has shown up til now

Michael D is by far the best candidate of the lot for the job. He has proven over the last 7 years that he can do it successfully and represents the country well.

Having said that, I'm voting for Casey. A message needs to be sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

gmisk wrote: »
    Did I ever claim he has? Come on lol

Look the president is a figurehead, imo casey would be an embarrassment, Michael D is the opposite like he has shown up til now

What exactly has Michael D done for 7 years? Take out the robbing the tax payer

He has done nothing, shown up for rugby match’s etc and that’s it.....he is an embarrassment to the Irish people

Imagine landing at event after election and everyone looking at him saying “didn’t you say it was only a 1 term” and he looks back and says “ahh don’t worry the Irish people are clowns and I just changed my mind and they didn’t care”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No-one. Why, should I have?

Casey himself has set up in rural Donegal. What's to stop others from doing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Look folks, can we all accept that none of the candidates can do anything about major issues affecting the country. They can talk all they want in their little 60sec clips on debates about homelessness, suicide, hospital waiting lists, whatever, but they can do next to nothing to fix any major issue.

They are only a figure head for 7 years.
    this is why Casey is the perfect safety valve. he allows the nation to vent it's trump/brexit/orban frustration without putting him into a position of power

• Registered Users Posts: 32,778 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Michael D is by far the best candidate of the lot for the job. He has proven over the last 7 years that he can do it successfully and represents the country well.

Having said that, I'm voting for Casey. A message needs to be sent
    That message being?
    If it's that travellers don't in general contribute to society I agree, but thats not what we are voting on. I think the majority of people hold that belief anyway.

We are voting for president and as you say Michael D is the best candidate. So I will be voting for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

There's loads of businesses that could set up in any part of Ireland, asking to name a specific one is a bit disingenuous.
    Take centerparcs in south Longford as an example, over 1000 jobs to be created there next year when the project is completed not to mention the amount of work created by its construction.

• Advertisement

No-one. Why, should I have?

Casey himself has set up in rural Donegal. What's to stop others from doing the same?

Em, a viable workforce, infrastructure, broadband network...

What business is it? How many does it employ?

Shefwedfan wrote: »

He has done nothing, shown up for rugby match’s etc and that’s it.....he is an embarrassment to the Irish people

Imagine landing at event after election and everyone looking at him saying “didn’t you say it was only a 1 term” and he looks back and says “ahh don’t worry the Irish people are clowns and I just changed my mind and they didn’t care”

He is far from an embarrassment. He knows how to speak & behave. He understands protocol & what you should & should not say.
    He can host the queen of England & engage in conversation with her.
    He has travelled the world as a representative for Ireland & has never done or said anything controversial.
    That's the job, he has done it well.
    He is head & shoulders above any of the other candidates & they know it.

Voting for Casey because he believes certain things about travellers is ridiculous. Maybe all the candidates think the same but they have enough cop on to know not to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,778 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Take out the robbing the tax payer?

He has done what the presidents role entails and done it well, how exactly is he an embarrassment? What has he done to embarrass Ireland?

Edward M wrote: »
    There's loads of businesses that could set up in any part of Ireland, asking to name a specific one is a bit disingenuous.
    Take centerparcs in south Longford as an example, over 1000 jobs to be created there next year when the project is completed not to mention the amount of work created by its construction.

How many centerparcs can we set up in rural ireland? Whats the saturation figure?

Most of these jobs would be low end hospitality jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How many centerparcs can we set up in rural ireland? Whats the saturation figure?

And some people may take great pride in having one of those jobs, rather than be unemployed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

bubblypop wrote: »
    He is far from an embarrassment. He knows how to speak & behave. He understands protocol & what you should & should not say.
    He can host the queen of England & engage in conversation with her.
    He has travelled the world as a representative for Ireland & has never done or said anything controversial.
    That's the job, he has done it well.
    He is head & shoulders above any of the other candidates & they know it.

Voting for Casey because he believes certain things about travellers is ridiculous. Maybe all the candidates think the same but they have enough cop on to know not to say it.

Absolutely.
    A vote for Casey is a vote by disenfranchised dunderheads who like to piss and moan but do absolutely nothing constructive to actually contribute anything useful or constructive to the situation.

And some people may take great pride in having one of those jobs, rather than be unemployed

No doubt but you need a mix so people can get a mortgage etc

I think there are plenty of unemployed people in rural parts of the country who might have a different opinion of such a job than yourself.

There is decent broadband in some parts of rural Ireland, its not completely devoid of all infrastructure despite what you might think.

As for Casey's company, no idea how many it employs. But at least its there, and there could be plenty more like it, even if it only employs a couple of dozen, there's no reason why there can't be plenty of other small companies like it scattered all across rural parts. Not everything needs to be based in Dublin city you know.

I think there are plenty of unemployed people in rural parts of the country who might have a different opinion of such a job than yourself.

There is decent broadband in some parts of rural Ireland, its not completely devoid of all infrastructure despite what you might think.

As for Casey's company, no idea how many it employs. But at least its there, and there could be plenty more like it, even if it only employs a couple of dozen, there's no reason why there can't be plenty of other small companies like it scattered all across rural parts. Not everything needs to be based in Dublin city you know.

I live in rural Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I’ve heard of a lot of people saying ”I’ll give him my number two”. People need to be very careful. The PR system is fantastic but it’s not setup for protest voting.

In 1990 Brian Lenihan was odds on favorite and actually had 4% more 1st preference votes than Mary Robinson.

As much as I agree with Casey’s opinions and find his honesty refreshing, I much prefer a candidate of Michael Ds calibre for the role of President.

• Advertisement

That was just an example.
    Going on your mindset you'd think rural Ireland was dead and buried, a waste land.
    There are areas with high speed broadband as well, it's just not everywhere, but if the location is picked with the right type of services for the needs of the specific industry, then there are countless locations that can fit the needs of many industries.
    I'll just post my own county, you can go on any county's website and see what's available.
    https://www.localenterprise.ie/Cavan/Enterprise-Development/Cavan%20as%20a%20Business%20Location/I

I live in rural Ireland

Then I don't understand what you're arguing for/against then.

Edward M wrote: »
    That was just an example.
    Going on your mindset you'd think rural Ireland was dead and buried, a waste land.
    There are areas with high speed broadband as well, it's just not everywhere, but if the location is picked with the right type of services for the needs of the specific industry, then there are countless locations that can fit the needs of many industries.
    I'll just post my own county, you can go on any county's website and see what's available.
    https://www.localenterprise.ie/Cavan/Enterprise-Development/Cavan%20as%20a%20Business%20Location/I

Quinn country. How did that work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Em, a viable workforce, infrastructure, broadband network...l

Well Casey is the candidate for rural broadband, never shuts up about it. The rest of them have hobby horses too but not this

Says the government strategy is a waste of hundreds of millions of euro and he has a better solution that involves 25mbs over 4G but I don’t understand the technical details

Then I don't understand what you're arguing for/against then.

I understand the infrastructure that is necessary to attract viable high end jobs to a locality.

Quinn country. How did that work out?

Ah I'll leave you with it, you're being disingenuous!

I understand the infrastructure that is necessary to attract viable high end jobs to a locality.

Many jobs in the future will not need any physical infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

No doubt but you need a mix so people can get a mortgage etc

Most people who will work there live locally
    Housing is cheap in longford

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Most people who will work there live locally
    Housing is cheap in longford

As it is in Donegal.

I'd guess that a couple employed in Peter Casey's Donegal business would be able to afford a house easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I’ve heard of a lot of people saying ”I’ll give him my number two”. People need to be very careful. The PR system is fantastic but it’s not setup for protest voting.

In 1990 Brian Lenihan was odds on favorite and actually had 4% more 1st preference votes than Mary Robinson.

As much as I agree with Casey’s opinions and find his honesty refreshing, I much prefer a candidate of Michael Ds calibre for the role of President.

Higgins is 68% ahead of him

I think he's safe, he's the default choice of people and will win at a canter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement