Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Over 3k posts on this thread alone discussing one of enda"s moronic ideas, and parting gift with his two fingers raised as he rode off into the sunset.

It's all he will be ever be remembered for

elperello wrote: »
    I know a few people who attended MDH's lectures.

I wish some of them were here to tell you how much regard they had for him.

In a good or a bad way?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,542 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In a good or a bad way?

I know people who encountered him at work and the reviews were mixed and some would have being his fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's all he will be ever be remembered for

That and 'Two Pint Man' and 'Armed guards and soldiers defending ATMs' and, 'Paddy likes to go mad'.

Yep. Enda left some legacy behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know people who encountered him at work and the reviews were mixed and some would have being his fans.

I t is expected that 3rd level students will apply critical analysis to all aspects of their education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

joe40 wrote: »
    The work was for security upgrade, perfectly reasonable.

"The Office of Public Works (OPW) has carried out upgrading works on President Michael D Higgins’s private family home in Galway, it has emerged."

Just talking to somebody there, they say that this is the house that he has rented out. Why would he need to have it upgraded if he's not even going to be living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is spoiling a vote not the same as abstaining essentially?
    No it isn't as that vote cannot be placed on somebody else's pile.

If you 'don't vote' essentially you are voting for the winner, whoever that may be.
    Abstaining increases the proportion of votes for the most popular candidate or party, while using a protest vote against the popular candidate or party can shrink a margin of victory.

I t is expected that 3rd level students will apply critical analysis to all aspects of their education.

The people I know severed him in hotels/resteraunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Vote Casey. Annoy virtue signalling Leo et al.

It is normal for a security survey to be carried out in these situations.

Ultimately the installation of security hardware will reduce the cost of the Gardai in terms of personnel hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

"The Office of Public Works (OPW) has carried out upgrading works on President Michael D Higgins’s private family home in Galway, it has emerged."

Just talking to somebody there, they say that this is the house that he has rented out. Why would he need to have it upgraded if he's not even going to be living there.

Game changer if this is in anyway true

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Christ, I hope he's OK.

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment.

Talking to who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Explains his diminutive physique I guess.

Shows the need for security I guess.

It's getting surreal now folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mikemac2 wrote: »
    He suspended his campaign on Friday and said he’d consider his position over the weekend

To get into the Sunday papers he must have given his new decision early on Saturday.

I dunno, seems a bit contrived to me like a band walking off stage and returning for an encore. Maybe his team found a clever way to get into the Sunday papers and it worked

The whole "I am taking a weekend off thing" was nonsense designed to keep him in headlines.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    By initiating anger and hostility towards others. The intention may not be to cause violence but that may be the outcome.

I politely called someone out on not giving up their seat for a 95 year old woman the other day on the Luas.

The man became quite aggressive....So did the great Granny as she said she is not 'that' old.

It was a prelude to a full blown riot that day...on the luas

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The whole "I am taking a weekend off thing" was nonsense designed to keep him in headlines.

He is minimising the amount of time he has to defend these remarks and being asked what his solutions are. Because as we see here, there are very few that have any solutions. Plenty of sensationalised 'plague' comments but no solutions.
    Watch him try and run from this issue by trumpeting something else the mob is 'petrified' about.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't know who the people in the travelling community are voting for on Friday but going by their Facebook pages. It's not Peter or Michael. Just from what I've seen.

I would say like the settled community they are not a hive mind. I am guessing a lot would vote for Ni Riada as Gerry Adams and Mary Lou McDonald went to recent Carrickmines events. A lot will vote for Higgins because he was always a strong advocate for them in Galway and he held a reception to celebrate their ethnic status. I'd say Freeman might get some votes off some of them because they have quite a strong Catholic culture and disproportionate suicide rates. I dont think Duffy or Gallagher will get many votes from them and Casey... well.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I would say like the settled community they are not a hive mind. I am guessing a lot would vote for Ni Riada as Gerry Adams and Mary Lou McDonald went to recent Carrickmines events. A lot will vote for Higgins because he was always a strong advocate for them in Galway and he held a reception to celebrate their ethnic status. I'd say Freeman might get some votes off some of them because they have quite a strong Catholic culture and disproportionate suicide rates. I dont think Duffy or Gallagher will get many votes from them and Casey... well.

Yes, Ni Riada makes sense.
    I was just surprised by the back lash that I saw towards Higgins on their social media pages.
    Not over generalising but the travellers I know never seem to be into voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

He is minimising the amount of time he has to defend these remarks and being asked what his solutions are. Because as we see here, there are very few that have any solutions. Plenty of sensationalised 'plague' comments but no solutions.
    Watch him try and run from this issue by trumpeting something else the mob is 'petrified' about.

I don't think he's ran from this issue to date. In contrast, I actually think he's ran with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Great to see Casey still in the race and highlighting the welfare state issues.
    As he's not in Govt he can do no more than highlight it, not his job to find solutions unless he runs for the Dail in the GE.
    The issues he has highlighted are the burning issues for many hence the attempts to down him by Leo, crazy lefties, the media and party hacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

bubblypop wrote: »
    But what do you expect the president to do about those things?
    All candidates might think the same as you but a president knows when to keep their mouth shut.
    Surely the Irish president is the president of everyone living here? Not just ones who pay tax.

The president can do very little about those issues but tbh I don't care.

I'm 45 and i've never claimed a days welfare in my life. I currently live in a country where the government are taking more and more off me to fund the lifestyle of people who contribute nothing.

I'm sick of it and I just don't care anymore..

If voting for Casey annoys Leo then i'll vote for Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Rennaws wrote: »
    The president can do very little about those issues but tbh I don't care.

I'm 45 and i've never claimed a days welfare in my life. I currently live in a country where the government are taking more and more off me to fund the lifestyle of people who contribute nothing.

I'm sick of it and I just don't care anymore..

If voting for Casey annoys Leo then i'll vote for Casey.

Can't really go wrong with a protest vote in this election.
    The Brits had a protest vote and ended up leaving the EU. The Americans elected Trump.
    This protest vote even if it is practically impossible that it will be successful will have no direct consequences for people so its a great opportunity to give two fingers to the establishment which seems to be getting more and more clueless as to the travails of the ordinary working people.
    Even a half decent fraction of the vote going to PC would send a bit of a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Rennaws wrote: »
    The fact that Casey has the balls to stand up and say what he actually thinks is the reason he’s getting my vote. That and the fact that I share his views on travellers and our overly generous welfare state..

Giving Leo the liar a bloody nose is just the icing on the cake...

When Taoiseach Varadkar stuck said nose into the debate it rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way. I'd say it's at least made a few go from undecided/unmotivated to actually going out and casting a vote... just not in the way he wanted.

And again.

Nonsense? You wanna talk nonsense? Nonsense is your baseless claim that settled people are entering Traveller sites to do their dumping. You've been called out on it so many times and you don't have the backbone to even respond to it.

See this link for those who want a good laugh.

You have no credibility here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I know a few people who attended MDH's lectures.

I wish some of them were here to tell you how much regard they had for him.

As a graduate of that fine institution Michael D was still a common sight on campus in my time. He had time for everyone and a great man to listen to.

I would say like the settled community they are not a hive mind.

Unless they're dumping rubbish in Traveller sites, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No solutions! WTF.

Get tax inspectors into every ‘halting site’ in the country, examine sources of income, look for tax history, investigate the income sources and the taxes paid or not paid.

Same way as everyone else can be investigated if required by the Rev.

That would be a fairly good start, then examine welfare payments, school attendance records same as everyone else . Match up recipients with actual people.

There’s two good solutions for starters...and there’s more.:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement