Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I hope he goes for the Dail. That'll sort em out. No more potholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Danzy wrote: »
    It is only in the last 20 years that people have started to say Travellers are a different ethnic group in Ireland.

Its deeply bizarre, refuted by science and divisive..

This is because, in the last 20 years (but especially in the last 2/3), "feelings" and social media-led virtue signalling and groupthink have started to not just dominate but dictate social policy and agendas.

We're in a situation now where opinion/feels > objective facts and realities, and it's starting to really damage the fabric of societies as it gains more traction, and (ironically?) cause more division by its very nature than anything else and this is because most of it is American-led - a country that has been and is deeply divided by racial lines and economic divides for generations... but where these long-standing issues are being copy/pasted onto cultures (like ours) where they have no place or basis for existing.

It's actually a pivotal and dangerous time we are living in from a social and cultural perspective, and many of these issues aren't being decided at the ballot box or parliament, but by online witch-hunts and bored mainstream media reposting stuff without concern for fact or context and thus legitimising it in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No. You're wrong. For the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Rather than just highlighting the problem, I’d like to hear Casey propose a solution to the Traveller issue; e.g. total elimination of the Traveller way of life.

The amount of misinformation out there is very frustrating; on the one hand, we’re subjected to people like John Connors and Margaret Cash ranting about their lot in life. Then science (e.g. that RCSI document) tells us that much of the health and mortality issues stem from the high levels of inbreeding. What’s the answer to that? Forced settlement. These people are not Native Americans or Eskimos; they are just Irish people misbehaving.

This is just one situation that I know, but a close neighbour who is a settled traveller, is married to someone outside his community and he has beaten her to within an inch of her life more than once, plus she has a scar from a previous attack from a knife, not a good sample of possible assimilation

Another one locally and well known nationally also beat the sh1te out of a ex-girlfriend of his on a regular basis, again someone outside his culture

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

464298.png

I took a snapshot of this a couple of days ago. That ain't a word of a lie, sad to say.

Neale sounds like a dangerous man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Maybe if people stopped playing the 'oppressed by liberal lefties' card and got out and lobbied their TD's or elect new ones to represent them properly, things might change.
    But again, I suspect they won't because that requires effort.

It hard to do so when people are playing the "i virtue signal to feel good" card, followed up by their next move of actively trying to ruin some one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Calhoun wrote: »
    It hard to do so when people are playing the "i virtue signal to feel good" card, followed up by their next move of actively trying to ruin some one.

I don't even know what that means, but it seems to be the convenient hidey hole for 'can't be arsed enough'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't even know what that means, but it seems to be the convenient hidey hole for 'can't be arsed enough'.

You know exactly what it means :), i suppose though you aren't as dangerous as others. At 56 you probably would go down a more formal route and contact a TD ect, its the younger generation that take great pride in ruining people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Try_harder wrote: »
    As a graduate of that fine institution Michael D was still a common sight on campus in my time. He had time for everyone and a great man to listen to.

i loved mdh's lectures in UCG in the 80's. he was a pleasure to listen to and so knowledgeable. i still respect him and tbh any one of us would enjoy the spoils of office should we be in that situation. Why not? he did not ask for the salary it was the stated salary and the expenses are decided for him by civil servants so the expense money is there in place.

he has received all visiting heads of state in a correct way even his dogs are statesman like ....... I will vote for him and give Casey my number 2 vote as a protest on the way the the un elected half indian leo varaker disregards me as a working person and a tax payer. He controls the media and all the politics and i m sure he'd hate a halting site in his castleknock bachelor pad but he'll say he'd love one . Wouldnt you love to see the travellers rock up to all the leftys houses !!! Soon see martial law enforced and probably guns too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Danzy wrote: »
    It is only in the last 20 years that people have started to say Travellers are a different ethnic group in Ireland.

Its deeply bizarre, refuted by science and divisive..

This is because, in the last 20 years (but especially in the last 2/3), "feelings" and social media-led virtue signalling and groupthink have started to not just dominate but dictate social policy and agendas.

We're in a situation now where opinion/feels > objective facts and realities, and it's starting to really damage the fabric of societies as it gains more traction, and (ironically?) cause more division by its very nature than anything else and this is because most of it is American-led - a country that has been and is deeply divided by racial lines and economic divides for generations... but where these long-standing issues are being copy/pasted onto cultures (like ours) where they have no place or basis for existing.

It's actually a pivotal and dangerous time we are living in from a social and cultural perspective, and many of these issues aren't being decided at the ballot box or parliament, but by online witch-hunts and bored mainstream media reposting stuff without concern for fact or context and thus legitimising it in the process.
    That exact argument is used by both sides in various debates.
    Terms like "mob" and "witch hunt" are bandied about far too easily. Plenty of people would describe this online anger with welfare and travellers as a mob and a witch hunt.
    Seems to me there are mobs everywhere these days. The joys of social media

• Advertisement

You know exactly what it means :), i suppose though you aren't as dangerous as others. At 56 you probably would go down a more formal route and contact a TD ect, its the younger generation that take great pride in ruining people.

Older.

Youger are learning from them.

Older generation ruined this Country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Suckit wrote: »
    Older.

Youger are learning from them.

Older generation ruined this Country.

Everything you have is because of the previous generations.

doylefe wrote: »
    Everything you have is because of the previous generations.

After I typed it, thought about it.

But...........

The last generation were nasty (as were the crowd before them, and the crowd before them, and the crowd...... ok).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Generalisation is usually unhelpful in these discussions.

There are good and bad in every generation.

Don't tell me what I know please. I understand the words but I don't know what it means in effect.

Can you explain how it functions as a thing? Is it just some handy buzz phrase to describe somebody objecting to something you agree with?

elperello wrote: »
    Generalisation is usually unhelpful in these discussions.

There are good and bad in every generation.

But generationalisation?

:pac:

Even as I typed I knew it was probably a waste of time.
    Ce'st la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fairly decent article surrounding the learjet to Belfast conundrum.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1005717/

Basically says that the jet has been used (or misused depending on your point of view) by various political representatives over the years to go between here and Belfast, but in light of the collapse of the Celtic tiger, to their credit, Enda and Leo shyed away from using it.

However, they seem to dismiss any notion that the jets use over the years was ever anything to do with security, and more of a time saving exercise.

They also place a lot of emphasis on the PSNI, and the BBC correspondent who apparently has fairly well connected sources from within the PSNI, right to the top.
    Add to the mix the report of BBC Northern Ireland’s Security Correspondent Vincent Kearney, someone with access to PSNI officers from operational level right up to its No 3, Alan Todd, the No 2 Deputy Chief Constable Steven Martin and its boss, Chief Constable, George Hamilton.

Vincent quotes a PSNI source as saying: "It would be inconceivable that the President of Ireland would not have been afforded security if it had been requested."

The articles basically saying MDH was spoofing, without actually saying it.

Not sure why he wanted to tell a tall tale that was going to be so easily debunked.

MDH does not decide his own security detail, someone else does that.
    All he does is exactly what he is told.
    ' we are driving to Belfast '
    ' we ate flying to Belfast '
    Those are not his decisions.
    Those decisions come from the department of foreign affairs & the department of justice.
    Nothing to do with him.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    MDH does not decide his own security detail, someone else does that.
    All he does is exactly what he is told.
    ' we are driving to Belfast '
    ' we ate flying to Belfast '
    Those are not his decisions.
    Those decisions come from the department of foreign affairs & the department of justice.
    Nothing to do with him.

Who said he did?

He did however decide to tell the security story, the PSNI decided to contradict it.

Maybe he'll clarify in detail at a later date, but I reckon even placing a few bob on Casey is a better bet than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Miggledy Higgens,
    Miggledy Higgens,
    Miggledy Higgens,

Miggledy Higgens,
    Miggledy Higgens,
    Miggledy Higgens,

Yes, very good but it's bedtime.

Who said he did?

He did however decide to tell the security story, the PSNI decided to contradict it.

Maybe he'll clarify in detail at a later date, but I reckon even placing a few bob on Casey is a better bet than that.

We went through all this earlier.

The PSNI did not contradict MDH.
    What you are calling contradiction came from "sources" whose agenda we don't know.
    You know that our security make the final call on these matters not the PSNI.
    That's the way it always was and always will be.
    They should not and will not disclose their rationale.

Don't get the love for MDH at all.. a pontificating, hypocritical career politician who for some reason in the last 7 years has been transformed in the public eye as some sort of lovable wee leprechaun-like figure.

He came off very badly in the debate last week I thought, raised more questions than he answered and I think his reelection will be more the result of apathy towards the whole contest and the poor opposition (Casey aside who has impressed more and more in the last week or so) than any sort of actual vote of confidence.

I'd imagine a low turnout and Casey to come second in the results.

He came off very badly in the debate last week I thought, raised more questions than he answered

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Don't get the love for MDH at all.. a pontificating, hypocritical career politician who for some reason in the last 7 years has been transformed in the public eye as some sort of lovable wee leprechaun-like figure.

He came off very badly in the debate last week I thought, raised more questions than he answered and I think his reelection will be more the result of apathy towards the whole contest and the poor opposition (Casey aside who has impressed more and more in the last week or so) than any sort of actual vote of confidence.

Yeah the girlfriend was saying all the flack mdh was getting about his expenses was a bit much. I agreed that people where getting worked up about the wrong stuff. Like his admiration for Castro, Che Guevara & Ortega. She didn't realise who they were or why they are real monsters but sure it's his expenses we have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

defo. as i have already stated he has made the guts of 5 million in his career. he had a 20 euro a head fundraiser in galway last week ffs. hes a millionaire and landlord who tries to pawn himself off as ordinary man , he was also just running the once . liar . he will win easily but it wont be with my vote

elperello wrote: »
    We went through all this earlier.

The PSNI did not contradict MDH.
    What you are calling contradiction came from "sources" whose agenda we don't know.
    You know that our security make the final call on these matters not the PSNI.
    That's the way it always was and always will be.
    They should not and will not disclose their rationale.

The fly in your ointment being that Higgins specifically said it was the PSNI who advised him, this would be the same PSNI who would come out and publicly contradict him (despite your claims to the contrary)

He blamed the PSNI for not being able to provide security from the Border.

• Advertisement

Such as?

I've read enough of your comments here, and the answers by others to questions like this, that I won't be engaging. Plus it's bedtime :)

But feel free to read back over the last few pages for your answers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement