Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He won't win but the traction he is gaining sends a clear message to the media class. If they continue to pretend that the public have no issue with "Wrong Think" issues, it will explode in their face in a way they couldn't have imagined.

I'd say he could have a chance next time but he'll be blocked by the council's, TDs and senators. The sentiment won't go away though

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

naughtb4 wrote: »
    There is no hope at all of him winning. To be honest thats half the fun of it

Michael D Higgens is the default choice of many (not saying that all are only voting him as default) and that will get him over the line with at least 30% to spare

I don’t care if he wins or not.

All I care about is contributing to his percentage. Hopefully if he gets a high enough percentage vote, some politicians will start realizing that there is strong feelings among the working population that the government is treating us like second class citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

He won't win but the traction he is gaining sends a clear message to the media class. If they continue to pretend that the public have no issue with "Wrong Think" issues, it will explode in their face in a way they couldn't have imagined.

I'd say he could have a chance next time but he'll be blocked by the council's, TDs and senators. The sentiment won't go away though
    Yeah some very good points there ! We just don’t need more establishment wasters in there, they offer nothing! They are blocking and stymying change and debate ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah some very good points there ! We just don’t need more establishment wasters in there, they offer nothing! They are blocking and stymying change and debate ...

If the 'establishment' are worried about him, the best place for him is the Aras. They can totally control everything he says.

If we are gonna get all conspiratorial, let's keep it real! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The media and elites didn't 'predict' anything. Casey 'polled' at 2% because that is the percentage that said they would vote for him.

Anyone who has studied recent Irish media history, as I am positive sure Casey's team have, would know the touchstones that will bring out a certain vocal mob. Joe Duffy has them tattooed at this stage probably.
    'Tavellers' being one of those touchstones. Anyone who saw the hate, inhumanity and bile uttered when the Carrickmines fire happened would know what an emotive subject it is.
    Contrary to the rubbish spouted that these issues NEVER get an airing and that Casey is doing some sort of favour to 'de man', these issues frequently get 'aired'.
    The problem is those airing them have no implementable solutions.
    Once again, oxygen has been given to those who have nothing to offer but hate and prejudice.

The elites conspired to try to avoid Michael D from having to seek a mandate from the people for another 7 years on the gravy train, despite committing to not seeking a second term. It’s unprecedented that Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil, Labour, smaller parties and many independents are supporting the incumbent president. His coverage in the media has been sycophantic right down to shameless recent plugs for the children’s book “The Presidents Cat”. He is a wishy washy lovely dovey adored by the media and right on PC brigade.

You talk about solutions?
    The solutions that the elite have offered the traveling community since the foundation of the state have failed both travelers and the settled community. Maybe a different way to approach the issue or even an honest debate about the issue would be a welcome breath of fresh air at this stage.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

CASEY! CASEY! CASEY!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If the 'establishment' are worried about him, the best place for him is the Aras. They can totally control everything he says.

If we are gonna get all conspiratorial, let's keep it real! :D
    That or somebody with a brain realizes that there are people out there who not being represented by any party in Ireland and creates one which will get into the Dail, and WILL make an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

cournioni wrote: »
    I don’t care if he wins or not.

All I care about is contributing to his percentage. Hopefully if he gets a high enough percentage vote, some politicians will start realizing that there is strong feelings among the working population that the government is treating us like second class citizens.

That's the thing though.Politicians will do or say anything to get a vote and conversely will avoid saying anything that won't get votes.

If Peter Casey gets a high enough percentage at this election watch how many politicians will take the same approach come general election time.

I had no interest in this nonsense election till Casey started speaking out.I have now though and will give him my No.1 vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The other candidates must be rightly pissed off now, Paddy last in the race is getting all the attention.

Although the story is deflecting from criticism at the incumbent, so MDH must be happy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

He won't win but the traction he is gaining sends a clear message to the media class.

Any polls out yet? - last one I saw last week he was still on 2% - which doesn't seem to reflect his sudden popularity on social media at all.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    His coverage in the media has been sycophantic

Pure nonsense. The only thing being talked about is his expenses. Again on the prime news slot of the day, he was being questioned about it.

You are mixing up how he is treated as President with how he is being treated as a candidate.

I agree that it was wrong that FF and FG chickened out of running a candidate, but that wasn't out of love or regard for MDH, it was their own fear of losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

ozmo wrote: »
    Any polls out yet? - last one I saw last week he was still on 2% - which doesn't seem to reflect his sudden popularity on social media at all.

All of the Polls were taken before he raised the traveller issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The people comparing Casey to trump are truly deluded. Casey has said nothing that isn't true.

Pure nonsense. The only thing being talked about is his expenses. Again on the prime news slot of the day, he was being questioned about it.

You are mixing up how he is treated as President with how he is being treated as a candidate.

I agree that it was wrong that FF and FG chickened out of running a candidate, but that wasn't out of love or regard for MDH, it was their own fear of losing.

I think it was more to do with thinking that the prize isn't worth much politically and both want to keep their money for fighting a general election which could come at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Are there any hashtags going about on twitter at the moment - in the week of the campaign for Casey?

Something like #i'mvotingforpeter

Is it hard to get one trending? Be a kick in the goolies for the usual social media set who use twitter to run things :D

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    The people comparing Casey to trump are truly deluded. Casey has said nothing that isn't true.

Not quite true, he did say that MDH objected to traveller site in the 60s in Galway, but that was a different Michael Higgins.

Joe duffy now is inviting callers to state who they are voting for, live on air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

If Casey is elected I hope he puts Padraig Nally on the council of state.

Dr Brown wrote: »
    If Casey is elected I hope he puts Padraig Nally on the council of state.

I feel we should have an national day to celebrate Nally

Joe is on the 4th caller now, still no mention of anyone voting Casey.
    Maybe the goodwill toward him is confined to boards.ie?

EDIT: 4th caller says she is supporting Casey on the statements he made on the carry on of the Thurles issue and the amount of families living in little one room hotels.

• Advertisement

Joe is on the 4th caller now, still no mention of anyone voting Casey.
    Maybe the goodwill toward him is confined to boards.ie?

EDIT: 4th caller says she is supporting Casey on the statements he made on the carry on of the Thurles issue and the amount of families living in little one room hotels.

Don't RTE have to provide balance?

Not quite true, he did say that MDH objected to traveller site in the 60s in Galway, but that was a different Michael Higgins.

A mistake if you are in fact correct. It shows a lack of teasing out the details at worst. What about the lie's from everyone on the debate saying they'd be ok with a halting site near their homes.

Amazed that Duffy's listeners are not really favouring Casey. Not a good sign.

A mistake if you are in fact correct. It shows a lack of teasing out the details at worst. What about the lie's from everyone on the debate saying they'd be ok with a halting site near their homes.

How do you know they are lies?

How do you know they are lies?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Don't RTE have to provide balance?

Theoretically, in practice not really, certainly not as far as Joe Duffy goes. There's a certain amount of stage managing who they let on air. I certainly wouldn't take it as any kind of reflection of public opinion, it's entertainment first and foremost.

Noleen not quite getting what a 'weakness' is. :) Not a great ad for those voting for Casey in fairness.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yep, it figures that you don't have an answer. Casey thought he could lie about it though. At least you didn't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Of course they are liars and the best way to test their lies is to propose a halting site near where they live.

The reason halting sites are not built is not lackof money, its the determination of residents in every electroral area not to allow traveller accommodation near them.

There are millions of euros earmarked for halting sites remaining unspent. Some local authorities havent built a halting site in ten years.

The policy now seems to be to outbid working people for budget houses and then stick travelling families in them and to hell with the suffering imposed on neighbours. I used to give to the Simon Community before I realised they were buying houses for over three hundred thousand euros and installing travellers in them. The travellers upset all their neighbours and a lot of them time the houses were left empty anyway. Travellers dont really want houses because with houses comes responsibility so building houses for them is a waste of time and money. The travellers in Tipperary are using the stables as an excuse for not moving into the houses, even if they get stables or grazing or whatever the infantile demand is they still wont move in, they will probably demand disturbance money too for moving across the road and they will also want space to bring their caravans and space for their numerous residents to pull in with caravans too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The media and elites didn't 'predict' anything. Casey 'polled' at 2% because that is the percentage that said they would vote for him.

Anyone who has studied recent Irish media history, as I am positive sure Casey's team have, would know the touchstones that will bring out a certain vocal mob. Joe Duffy has them tattooed at this stage probably.
    'Tavellers' being one of those touchstones. Anyone who saw the hate, inhumanity and bile uttered when the Carrickmines fire happened would know what an emotive subject it is.
    Contrary to the rubbish spouted that these issues NEVER get an airing and that Casey is doing some sort of favour to 'de man', these issues frequently get 'aired'.
    The problem is those airing them have no implementable solutions.
    Once again, oxygen has been given to those who have nothing to offer but hate and prejudice.

I don't know, it is nothing like the hate and prejudice spouted by Sinn Fein politicians over the decades of the Troubles, and which still hasn't gone away in the way that they celebrate with loafs of bread on their heads and treat the likes of Mairia Cahill. For all the alleged talk about hate, inhumanity and bile, there is nothing being done to members of the travelling community like the 87 punishment beatings handed out up North in the last year, something our republican brethern bear a large share of responsibility for fostering that kind of culture over decades:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/campaign-exposes-northern-ireland-paramilitary-attacks-1.3665297

There are some who would want to stop throwing stones from their glasshouses.

What would be most interesting in this election would be Liadh finishing fourth or fifth, behind at least Gallagher, Casey and Higgins. Where would that leave the strategists in Sinn Fein who have attached their wagon to the underpriviliged bandwagon of entitlement?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement