Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Prez elections are brilliant for throwing up the unexpected. I suppose it's because it is so focused on a handful of candidates as opposed to hundreds in the Dail elections.

I am enjoying it anyway for better or for worse. And no doubt we have Mr. Casey to thank for opening up the can of worms, might make the other candidates use similar tactics. The people need a voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Ah c'mon now,over the years there have been several attempts to "properly enforce" various regulations at some of these sites,all ending in abject failure.

Could you expand upon your definition of "proper",to perhaps give the thread a flavour of where you see the problem,and eventually,any solution that might serve a purpose ?

I would first of all be sending a few gardai and co co officials to study sites that are well kept and why.

Clearly it can be done. A mixture of enablement and enforcement and education.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm all for open debate - but he went too far on that Ryanair Flight .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is that literally just on the side of the road!?

Yes. The other one I posted is too. Spotless too. See, they aren't all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

milennial wrote: »
    @breakingnews911
    gavin duffy to drop an expenditure bombshell on michael Higgins on tomorows debate
    is this the end of president higgins

paddy power is sh1tting brix

I always thought it would be the revelation of a certain long hidden personal peccadillo that would have torpedoed the Higgins campaign.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

Casey 56 percent
    MDH 29 percent

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

gavin duffy to drop an expenditure bombshell on michael Higgins on tomorows debate
    is this the end of president higgins

paddy power is sh1tting brix

Can't find a source for that. 'Fake news' from yourself I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I always thought it would be the revelation of a certain long hidden personal peccadillo that would have torpedoed the Higgins campaign.

Never will be mentioned. EVAH. But we all know don't we.... wink. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

Not usually one for the betting but might be of some use sticking a few quid onto Casey now with these poll results with him being at 40/1.

I still think it's likely MDH will win with Casey seeing a good increase in support and help spark a debate in the media / public over the fact that many do share his concerns / thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

jbkenn wrote: »
    Limerick Leader newspaper are running an online poll at the moment, https://www.limerickleader.ie/poll/home/343353/leader-poll-who-are-you-voting-for-in-the-upcoming-presidential-election.htmlinteresting results so far.
    Peter Casey 53%
    Michael D 31%
    The change divided by the rest

Limerick city and county is one of the worst affected county’s from traveller crime with the Dundon’s etc so no surprise there .

The main parties before the next general election will have to revisit their head in the sand approach to traveller crime as this matter is not going away .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Have to laugh at the people trying to tell us that a vote for Casey, even if elected is pointless, because it won't change anything.......

What change will take place if MDH is given a free pass to waltz the corridors of the Phoenix park reciting poetry for another 7 years :confused:

Bit hypocritical, no?

None. That's the point. :confused::confused::confused:

Let Casey (or you, or whoever) pick an election where if they win they can do something about what they speak about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

rovertom wrote: »
    Casey 56 percent
    MDH 29 percent

what is this ?

chances of being alive in 10 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

hurler32 wrote: »
    Limerick city and county is one of the worst affected county’s from traveller crime with the Dundon’s etc so no surprise there .

The main parties before the next general election will have to revisit their head in the sand approach to traveller crime as this matter is not going away .

Not so sure about that, anyone I know from Limerick is pretty pleased how the city has cleaned up in the last number of years. This could represent a more national trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

The Prez elections are brilliant for throwing up the unexpected. I suppose it's because it is so focused on a handful of candidates as opposed to hundreds in the Dail elections.

I am enjoying it anyway for better or for worse. And no doubt we have Mr. Casey to thank for opening up the can of worms, might make the other candidates use similar tactics. The people need a voice.

I did enjoy the last presidential election, and did not think anything would come near
    But, this one tops it,
    I am glad P Casey stayed in the running, before all this controversy he was my number one, and since then he defiantly is my number one.

Poor Michael D is getting a scorching, but he did say he was in it for the one only stint in the last election, should have stuck to his promise then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

leo the liar and all the brown nosers above in RTE think we're a load of thicks below in the country

Why on earth would they think such a thing?
    peter casey will put manners on them and i hope he re-opens spike island and sends all of rte and the sycophants in rte out there

Yes, that's definitely within the president's purview.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I would first of all be sending a few gardai and co co officials to study sites that are well kept and why.

Clearly it can be done. A mixture of enablement and enforcement and education.

Send Gardai to the well kept sites....Why ?

I find it had to understand why the GARDAI would need to interest themselves with the Law Abiding sector of the community,whilst on several sites,the local Gards have first to secure top-cover before entering.

Would this be the meaning of "enablement" in your context ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Now we await the claims of Russia interfering in the election :D

Bloodthirsty dictator who has no problem murdering his own citizens?? Surely Mickey D is a fan??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Send Gardai to the well kept sites....Why ?

I find it had to understand why the GARDAI would need to interest themselves with the Law Abiding sector of the community,whilst on several sites,the local Gards have first to secure top-cover before entering.

Would this be the meaning of "enablement" in your context ?

Clearly it is possible to keep sites clean.

Send the Gardai and LA officials to learn from the LA's that run those sites.

I would imagine it is a mixture of enforcement, education on what is expected and enabling them to look after the sites. Gardai need training in dealing with what is a community suspicious of them and they themselves admit that is a huge problem.

What would you do by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Michael D to be shown laundering for the Kinahans via expenses, involved in wet work as well. Drops to 55% support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Danzy wrote: »
    Michael D to be shown laundering for the Kinahans via expenses, involved in wet work as well. Drops to 55% support

Well....he's the right size to get in and out of tight places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

AnneFrank wrote: »
    He will get the uneducated vote only, never a chance to win or even compete,but he's got publicity which is all he wanted, bang for his buck in terms of campaign spend.

The uneducated vote, oh dear.
    Fianna Fáil, Fianna Gael, Labour Party, trade unions, RTÉ all with the snouts in the taxpayer trough trying to get us to vote for the highly educated snout of mickey D!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Maybe the Gards could just go in and clean the sites themselves Francie?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Clearly it is possible to keep sites clean.

I would imagine it is a mixture of enforcement, education on what is expected and enabling them to look after the sites. Gardai need training in dealing with what is a community suspicious of them and they themselves admit that is a huge problem.

What would you do by the way?

Would be a great job for Pavee Point workers.
    They could educate as they clean.
    Please suggest this to Martin Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

enricoh wrote: »
    The uneducated vote, oh dear.
    Fianna Fáil, Fianna Gael, Labour Party, trade unions, RTÉ all with the snouts in the taxpayer trough trying to get us to vote for the highly educated snout of mickey D!

Yeah.....as somebody who left school after the Inter Cert ("A" in English though) I'm happy enough to align myself with the Uneducated camp.I don't feel any less Franked for it either.

Peter Casey No 1 :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I do believe Peter Casey has some very good points when it comes to traveller culture. They do illegally camp (trespass) and the vast majority of them do not contribute to the taxman's purse. The situation in Tipperary is an unmitigated disgrace to all the genuine people waiting to be housed all over the country.
    Let's be brutally honest here, not one of these candidates would buy a house anywhere near a halting site and anyone who's ever lived in close proximity to one could tell you why. It does no one any good, including the travellers themselves, to bury their heads in the sand and pretend there aren't major issues within the travelling community.

I won't be giving Casey my No.1 simply because of his views on abortion, however I do think some of his points have merit and I reckon his showing in the election may surprise some come Friday. He won't win, but it may prompt a frank and honest debate on traveller culture within the media....or maybe not. It does seem to be a particularly untouchable subject amongst the political class. It would be nice if it became less so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Philosophy Zombie

Danzy wrote: »

Are you getting mixed up with Bertie Ahern's deceased mate - Jim Mansfield?!

All rotten to the core tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

What's the story with did or did not MD Higgs object to a halting site back in the 60's?????
    Haven't seen anything 'bout it since the "debate"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

They don't own the land (I think Wicklow Co. Council might - it used to be a road) - it's an 'illegal' halting site, but they've been there so long (and keep it so tidy) that nobody seems to mind.

Another tidy one here.

So they are living on someone else's land without paying rent ??

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Maybe the Gards could just go in and clean the sites themselves Francie?

I know a couple sites, and I can honestly say, they are well kept, very neat and clean,
    The people that live on them are there a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

lalababa wrote: »
    What's the story with did or did not MD Higgs object to a halting site back in the 60's?????
    Haven't seen anything 'bout it since the "debate"

Scratch that: I see he was confused with someone with a similar name. And MDH didn't object.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement