Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What Peter Casey said was unacceptable.

But there is a serious conversation for the travelling community to have about being responsible for their own actions. Yes they need to be responsible for their own ethnic group , if they want to be considered a normal part of the community.

I've been to a number of building sites over the last year - and small builders are tormented by them coming on site, stealing very expensive tools.
    I've been approached by them - and if you are soft they intimidate you , if you are hard they stand up to you and come back. What the f*** are they doing on a site in the first place. It is pure intimidation.

And before anyone says - how do you know they are travelers , lads come on , you know when you are dealing with a traveler.

Now there are a few that are out for a decent days work - but at the end of the day, they turn up walk on site without any permission ppe and unmarked vans.

My own view is the government need a policy to make it illegal to provide any service without a government tag or company markings on van.
    Guys in the trades would love this and it would clear all this up .

Also - if they are taking scarp - it is total uncontrolled waste disposal. This is environmentally disastrous , particularly when they are melting plastics in uncontrolled fires.

Was told at weekend , that there are car dealers in Tipperary that need to buy Christmas presents for the local travelers kids, if you don't buy - your business it at risk over the Christmas - 100 % true story.

What Casey said was unacceptable - but the behavior of a significant minority of travelers is not acceptable. If kids grow up in that environment , it is no wonder they end up in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

CASEY NO 1

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

e40bef8e535cbf984b2247c33f7f83d4.png

A debate between Margaret and Peter Casey? Now that's something I'd like to see.

qYhorlr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

lalababa wrote: »
    Scratch that: I see he was confused with someone with a similar name. And MDH didn't object.

Source please?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Clearly it is possible to keep sites clean.

Send the Gardai and LA officials to learn from the LA's that run those sites.

I would imagine it is a mixture of enforcement, education on what is expected and enabling them to look after the sites. Gardai need training in dealing with what is a community suspicious of them and they themselves admit that is a huge problem.

What would you do by the way?

I would firstly establish very firmly that the Rule of Law exists throughout the State.
    I would clearly advise the deviant site occupiers of a time limit after which,their place would be put right,with anything left over being incinerated,at the owners expense.

The Gardai do indeed require new training regimes,not for a group which has very decidedly set themselves apart from general society,but instead for the entireity of Irelands population.

However,as the Ethnicity issue has shown,loudly proclaiming one's difference from mainstream society,and advancing,at every opportunity a succession of excuses for non conformism should not be pandered to...which brings us neatly back to Casey's original anti-racist point.

There are more than enough "Special One's" knocking around to last us a lifetime,without manufacturing more of the class ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Are you getting mixed up with Bertie Ahern's deceased mate - Jim Mansfield?!

All rotten to the core tbh.

If we even knew the smallest details between Jim Mansfield, FF and Haughey, it woukd rock the state to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    e40bef8e535cbf984b2247c33f7f83d4.png

A debate between Margaret and Peter Casey? Now that's something I'd like to see.

qYhorlr.png

It is not P Caseys fault that people are doing this to her, it is just ignorance on their side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

naughtb4 wrote: »
    So they are living on someone else's land without paying rent ??

;)

They keep it so tidy, maybe the council should be paying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Danzy wrote: »
    If we even knew the smallest details between Jim Mansfield, FF and Haughey, it woukd rock the state to the core.

An unattended airfield with no customs or any Garda attention

Tons of cocaine

That kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I would firstly establish very firmly that the Rule of Law exists throughout the State.
    I would clearly advise the deviant site occupiers of a time limit after which,their place would be put right,with anything left over being incinerated,at the owners expense.

The Gardai do indeed require new training regimes,not for a group which has very decidedly set themselves apart from general society,but instead for the entireity of Irelands population.

However,as the Ethnicity issue has shown,loudly proclaiming one's difference from mainstream society,and advancing,at every opportunity a succession of excuses for non conformism should not be pandered to...which brings us neatly back to Casey's original anti-racist point.

There are more than enough "Special One's" knocking around to last us a lifetime,without manufacturing more of the class ?

I’m sure if I pile waste and rubbish around my property that the guards will take the time to educate me about litter :)

There again I’m not special so I’ll probably just end up in court...

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

AlekSmart wrote: »

SEMS is all about inclusiveness and parity of esteem. It is not a mechanism to separate them further.
    Those inter-acting with a community that is distrustful and suspicious and regardless of all the preaching, very embittered and ghettoised need training in dealing with them in a productive way, that gets the best results for all of us.

Sending in the bulldozers, (to synopsise your solution) will only make things worse even if you get pleasure from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Casey needs to absolutely nail him tomorrow night on his expenses and his son living in a house that was upgraded at the taxpayers expense.

Laying into the scroungers on the dole was just the icing on the cake!

I think it's going to be close. Hope people get out and support him on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm all for open debate - but he went too far on that Ryanair Flight .

A bit too subtle there, but hits the spot. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

I do believe Peter Casey has some very good points when it comes to traveller culture. They do illegally camp (trespass) and the vast majority of them do not contribute to the taxman's purse. The situation in Tipperary is an unmitigated disgrace to all the genuine people waiting to be housed all over the country.
    Let's be brutally honest here, not one of these candidates would buy a house anywhere near a halting site and anyone who's ever lived in close proximity to one could tell you why. It does no one any good, including the travellers themselves, to bury their heads in the sand and pretend there aren't major issues within the travelling community.

I won't be giving Casey my No.1 simply because of his views on abortion, however I do think some of his points have merit and I reckon his showing in the election may surprise some come Friday. He won't win, but it may prompt a frank and honest debate on traveller culture within the media....or maybe not. It does seem to be a particularly untouchable subject amongst the political class. It would be nice if it became less so.

And hopefully a talk about our many welfare reward schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Casey needs to absolutely nail him tomorrow night on his expenses and his son living in a house that was upgraded at the taxpayers expense.

Laying into the scroungers on the dole was just the icing on the cake!

I think it's going to be close. Hope people get out and support him on Friday.

I doubt it will be close at all really. MDH will win handsomely but questions will be asked during his second tenure, you know... the one that he said he would never want.

Let MDH win and ask the questions then. Be like the Thundering Disgrace episode. I hope it keeps MDH on his little toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Im just finishing my poem, any ideas?
    Speak out and branded a racist 'Oh Crikey!'
    Ok so, you go live next door to a.........

A bit too subtle there, but hits the spot. Hilarious.

Casey on way back to Dublin to fight on for fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the biggest travesty yet if he doesnt get it, we cant decide on Taoiseach, we can decide on one figure head! Casey will keep the spotlight on all the farces we face here if he gets in for years! What will MDH do for us, give some idiots a cute warm fuzzy feeling, as he's some leprechaun / hobbit cross?

That snake varadkar the worlds largest populist, might change track, when he sees the kite changing direction!

They take us for fools here and we are, they do as they will, against the will of a people, the silent majority and we sit back and take it, while those traitors, self serving parasites, line their pockets and laugh at us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Idbatterim wrote: »

They take us for fools here and we are, they do as they will, against the will of a people, the silent majority and we sit back and take it, while those traitors, self serving parasites, line their pockets and laugh at us!

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. - H. L. Mencken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Casey on way back to Dublin to fight on for fans.

That man is disgusting, racist, and ignorant,
    She is a beautiful looking lady.

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. - H. L. Mencken

I dont think any of us here, want the rats we have, with not ONE moderate voice in politics other than Casey! Tax payers seen as something that should be bled dry and not heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Casey will keep the spotlight on all the farces we face here if he gets in for years! What will MDH do for us, give some idiots a cute warm fuzzy feeling, as he's some leprechaun / hobbit cross?

So he is lying again then? Because he said he will observe the rules and restrictions of the presidency. Which is basically to say what the government want him to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Opinions and debate get shut down so quickly these days under the guise of political correctness. Terms like ant-Semite, racist, misogynist, homophobe are bandied about all too easily. Free speech is under attack.

Interesting piece in the examiner below. Refreshing to see a journalist willing to discuss and admit the part her profession is playing in all of this. Ironically it is in relation to the Blasphemy Referendum.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/blasphemy-referendum-beware-of-unwelcome-consequences-877225.html

So he is lying again then? Because he said he will observe the rules and restrictions of the presidency. Which is basically to say what the government want him to say.

cant see that happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They keep it so tidy, maybe the council should be paying them.

I wouldn't pay them but I'd probably nominate them for an award and maybe give them medals that say ''Congratulations for not wrecking the land you decided to occupy''

goat2 wrote: »
    That man is disgusting, racist, and ignorant,
    She is a beautiful looking lady.

I'd say he is just mentally ill to be honest
    or an ethnic minority

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Im just finishing my poem, any ideas?

Speak out and branded a racist 'Oh Crikey!'
    Ok so, you go live next door to a
    Presidential Leprechaun named Mikey.

Was listening to Casey today

He is a bit batty to be honest and early signs of cognitive issues.

Absolutely shocked how successful he has been - and has to be part luck.

He looked like a total clown going down there with his wife and BMW.

If it wasn't for traveler issue he would be still at 1 or 2 % , he has nothing to offer and all the dragons are complete useless delusional idiots to be honest.

It is unfortunate Michael D is too old. Darkness into Light one had merit , but for one putting forward a mental health face - she was way too cranky at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Omackeral wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay them but I'd probably nominate them for an award and maybe give them medals that say ''Congratulations for not wrecking the land you decided to occupy''

Whatever you do, don't acknowledge the fact that not all Travellers are bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement