Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Whatever you do, don't acknowledge the fact that not all Travellers are bad.

I have done so before many times actually. Too many think criticism equals hatred/bigotry/racism. It doesn't.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Another thread, another boat load of people like rabid dogs ready to get the digs in at travellers and tar them all as horrendous criminals. Then, on the flip side, you have the same people over and over who'll defend them no matter what they do. It's all getting very repetitive. There's a such thing as middle ground here folks.
    Just on this. Anyone who boots a dog around is a knacker in my book. That's the vernacular I'd use, akin to scumbag/dirtbird etc. If I heard someone non chalantly just describing any given Traveller as a knacker, they'd be the type of person I'd generally avoid. So there's a little gauge of my moral compass. Not a bad bloke, just happen to use words a little different to you.
    I abhor anyone who'll write a child off because of his parents and if any of my mates openly called travellers "knackers" I wouldn't let it slide, I hate that casual slur getting free reign.
    I actually agree with you. I wouldn't discriminate against any singular chap or lady, settled or Traveller. I give everyone, and I mean everyone, the benefit of the doubt until they give me a reason not to. I include so called marginalised folks in that including Roma, drug addicts, homeless or whoever. Have met kind murderers and junkies and everything in my line of work, believe it or don't!
    I do have real life encounters with them, as it happens, every single day I go to work. So you can keep your guarantee. If you read my post , it says that there's people ready to foam at the mouth to put them down (all of them) and then I said , on the flip side, there's those headcases who defend them down to the ground even when they're acting the complete scumbag. There's a middle ground between calling for all Travellers to be shot and excusing their well documented and known scandalous behaviour.
    I fcuking DESPISE racists and bigots. If anyone uttered the word n*gger viscously near me, I'd remove myself from their company. If someone casually refers to travellers as knackers, I automatically like them a hell of a lot less. However, I think the reputation that travellers have isn't just made up out of nowhere.
    Said it before and I'll say it again. I can absolutely understand why a publican wouldn't be keen on hosting a Traveller wedding. The reputation didn't come from nowhere.

On the other hand, my heart goes out to any traveller lad or lady who simply wants to just be a normal member of society and get a job or study. Automatically put down before you're even given a shot. Imagine how hard that is.
    Good post. There's always a middle ground. I work with plenty of Travellers and have great time for them and their families. However I work in a jail so they're not there for being good either. Basically, take everyone as you find them would be my advice but at the same time, I can understand why a publican might feel uneasy booking a Traveller wedding.

Outrageous, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Calhoun wrote: »
    He has called people that don't have the same opinion as him uneducated and bigoted/racist.

It's the go to tactic these days... We've seen the same with Brexit, and the migration crisis to name but two.

Rather than counter points they disagree with through rational argument and evidence to support their position, they throw their toys out of the pram and resort to petty insults.

<insert Principal Skinner "no, it's the children who are wrong" pic here>

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He has called people that don't have the same opinion as him uneducated and bigoted/racist.

I didn't call anyone racist, I haven't used that word at all.

There are some people posting here who are bigoted and some who are uneducated in the facts they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

looksee wrote: »
    And no matter how you argue it, none of that is a good reason for voting for a particular person to be president of the country.

Well then maybe I didn't add, I found Casey's truthfulness refreshing, (especially when he called the others out on their " disingenuous-ness" ref a halting site on their doorsteps.

And I firmly believe that MDH is a shyster, who is merely milking the system, only in multiples of what the aforementioned average traveller would.

Casey and LNR were the only two candidates in the race imo.

But Casey just pipped her.

So it's a yes from me for Casey. Louie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's the go to tactic these days... We've seen the same with Brexit, and the migration crisis to name but two.

Rather than counter points they disagree with through rational argument and evidence to support their position, they throw their toys out of the pram and resort to petty insults.

<insert Principal Skinner "no, it's the children who are wrong" pic here>

I am no angel either to be fair, as the forum is a little bit more casual we are all guilty of indirectly implying things to arguments we don't agree with.

I just feel the labels of bigots and racist ect generally are used to shut down discussion and have a stigma that sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I am no angel either to be fair, as the forum is a little bit more casual we are all guilty of indirectly implying things to arguments we don't agree with.

I just feel the labels of bigots and racist ect generally are used to shut down discussion and have a stigma that sticks.

And homophobia allegations.

But that is indeed the point.. When unable to debate rationally and defend your position with logical, verifiable arguments, resort to insults and name calling.

If that doesn't work (as it never does), attempt to shut down the discussion entirely by provoking others to where they look like the bad guy.

Mission accomplished... Although thankfully, it seems that the majority are tired of being told what's "acceptable" or not, and are starting to say enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

MDH will win, but in fairness the big question is for SF. Liadh Ni Riada is not moving anywhere in the polls AFAIS. But she is not alone there either. It is MDH for the win anyway no matter what.

Just wondered what to think. Casey has set the cat amongst the pigeons for sure, and fair play to him for making this election interesting. Will not impact on the result, but it has for sure given us all a bit of entertainment and debate.

Can you imagine this election if he hadn't said what he did, which was quite honest and truthful anyway. At least he said it.

Would have been so bloody boring. At least now we have a bit of craic coming our way. Even if MDH wins which he will, but it might not be the plain sailing he expected either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I have done so before many times actually. Too many think criticism equals hatred/bigotry/racism. It doesn't.

I'm sorry, I was wrong to target that post at you specifically. I found it a bit frustrating that people had literally asked for examples of Travellers who keep their surroundings tidy, and then responded negatively when some examples were provided. But no, it was unnecessarily snippy of me.

I wouldn't be so sure that MDH is as certain to win as he was a month ago, or even a week ago.

It's hard to gauge the true level of support Casey is getting in recent days given every mainstream party and media outlet is actively hostile to him (it was telling for example that after his interview on Newstalk breakfast this morning, the usual comment about a flood of texts from listeners was made.. But no indication as to the content of those texts).

It would certainly seem though from word of mouth and social media that there's been a big upswing in his favour. He may turn out to be a rallying point for those who have had enough of being told how rosy things are while they are struggling, and what they should even think, by the likes of Leo and his media cheerleaders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Well then maybe I didn't add, I found Casey's truthfulness refreshing, (especially when he called the others out on their " disingenuous-ness" ref a halting site on their doorsteps.

And I firmly believe that MDH is a shyster, who is merely milking the system, only in multiples of what the aforementioned average traveller would.

Casey and LNR were the only two candidates in the race imo.

But Casey just pipped her.

So it's a yes from me for Casey. Louie?

Was that the case from the beginning or just since Casey's recent statements?
    I must admit to being tempted to give him my number 1, but on reflection, I think though his stance is tempting I won't give him my no 1 anyway.
    LNR is also a non runner for me.
    Because of her good work with pieta house I will be torn between JF and because I know him fairly well SG.
    MDH is too old and I feel he has had his day and term, I was never fond of him politically anyway, so no vote from me again.
    GD is not my cup of tea, so as to practice my right to vote, not because I believe there is any exemplary candidate, I will toss between JF and SG for 1 and 2 and stop there.

Edward M wrote: »
    Was that the case from the beginning or just since Casey's recent statements?
    I must admit to being tempted to give him my number 1, but on reflection, I think though his stance is tempting I won't give him my no 1 anyway.
    LNR is also a non runner for me.
    Because of her good work with pieta house I will be torn between JF and because I know him fairly well SG.
    MDH is too old and I feel he has had his day and term, I was never fond of him politically anyway, so no vote from me again.
    GD is not my cup of tea, so as to practice my right to vote, not because I believe there is any exemplary candidate, I will toss between JF and SG for 1 and 2 and stop there.

The other candidates (including Gallagher who was seen as the main contender until a fortnight ago) must be going mad with the events of the last 2 weeks.

They've completely fallen off the radar - even in the media - for most people as the focus rapidly becomes Casey v Higgins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

The other candidates (including Gallagher who was seen as the main contender until a fortnight ago) must be going mad with the events of the last 2 weeks.

They've completely fallen off the radar - even in the media - for most people as the focus rapidly becomes Casey v Higgins

I'd like to see Casey in the dail, I d love to see the interactions between him and the bleeding hearts on the hard left, he could be a great voice against both them and some pathetic half arsed govt policies and budgets.
    If I had him in my constituency for that, he'd get my vote.

Edward M wrote: »
    I'd like to see Casey in the dail, I d love to see the interactions between him and the bleeding hearts on the hard left, he could be a great voice against both them and some pathetic half arsed govt policies and budgets.
    If I had him in my constituency for that, he'd get my vote.

How do you know that?
    He is aligned to the SDLP (at least he keeps sharing their tweets) we know what he thinks of travellers, he has some vague welfare criticisms, and the diaspora something something.

How do you know he has anything else to offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Very defeatist Spanish eyes. Give him the vote. I think it could be close! I’ll be in tears of joy if he wins. A watershed moment for this banana republic!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That might be the focus in the media, but I think most people would be very surprised if he comes second at this stage...even a swing from 2 to maybe 12% would be pretty unlikely I would think. I think maybe 6 or 7% at most.
    If he does I think that says more about the quality of opposition than anything, pretty embarassing field.

How do you know that?
    He is aligned to the SDLP (at least he keeps sharing their tweets) we know what he thinks of travellers, he has some vague welfare criticisms, and the diaspora something something.

That single comment is more than anything I’ve ever heard Bilbo contribute !

How do you know that?

Your (repeated!) attempts to marginalise him notwithstanding, I dare say he offers more than a career politician who seems to have gotten a bit too fond of his unexpected retirement plan (because remember, Gallagher pretty much had him beat last time before the twitter scandal).

I'd rather listen to Casey than another 7 years of smug, hypocritical intellectualism from the incumbent

Your (repeated!) attempts to marginalise him notwithstanding, I dare say he offers more than a career politician who seems to have gotten a bit too fond of his unexpected retirement plan (because remember, Gallagher pretty much had him beat last time before the twitter scandal).

I'd rather listen to Casey than another 7 years of smug, hypocritical intellectualism from the incumbent

That is your perogrative and something you can look forward to.

Doesn't really answer the question I asked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I dunno as much as Casey has gotten allot of publicity, i think that going from 1% to beating MDH is a bit to far. I hope he gets the % to cover his expenses and to make a point but i dont think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

I cannot believe that poster is so prolific. But hey, it's his sad life. Who am I to judge, just find it amazing that someone has so much time to post. But hey, maybe others use his log in and do it for him also on shift. :pac:

Hello

I dunno as much as Casey has gotten allot of publicity, i think that going from 1% to beating MDH is a bit to far. I hope he gets the % to cover his expenses and to make a point but i dont think so.

No one thought Brexit would pass or Trump would be elected either remember.

(and for the usual suspects, no I'm not comparing him to Trump.. Just pointing out that there's a noticeable shift away from establishment politics in general these days)

This is the best entertainment I’ve had since the 2016’s euros and I’ve been to Vegas since! Peter Casey #1. I barely ever drink midweek any more. I’ll be cracking open a beer watching this “debate” tomorrow. Hopefully when the going gets tough tomorrow , bilbo doesn’t just put on the ring and dissapear and we actually have a debate. Would be cheaper than the government jet though I suppose!

No one thought Brexit would pass or Trump would be elected either remember.

(and for the usual suspects, no I'm not comparing him to Trump.. Just pointing out that there's a noticeable shift away from establishment politics in general these days)
    They aren't really a comparison for a start they were only 2 options in those, here there are 6.
    Also the Brexit polls and presidential polls were close at points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Idbatterim wrote: »
    This is the best entertainment I’ve had since the 2016’s euros and I’ve been to Vegas since! Peter Casey #1. I barely ever drink midweek any more. I’ll be cracking open a beer watching this “debate” tomorrow. Hopefully bilbo doesn’t just put on the ring and dissapear!

He has to:

Not pussy out and try to "appeal" to as many people as possible.

Not apologize.

Not try and play to the P.C crowd.

Speak the truth as he sees it.

If he does that, he'll do fine.

He has to:

Not pussy out and try to "appeal" to as many people as possible.

Not apologize.

Not try and play to the P.C crowd.

Speak the truth as he sees it.

If he does that, he'll do fine.
    What percentage of the vote would you classify as fine for him?
    I honestly don't see him getting much above 6 or 7%

gmisk wrote: »
    They aren't really a comparison for a start they were only 2 options in those, here there are 6.
    Also the Brexit polls and presidential polls were close at points.

At this point, there are really only 2 candidates remaining

How close the final count will be remains to be seen of course, but if that Limerick newspaper poll posted earlier is anything to go by, it might not be the "sure thing" for MDH that everyone expected even a fortnight ago.

gmisk wrote: »
    What percentage of the vote would you classify as fine for him?
    I honestly don't see him getting much above 6 or 7%

I havent spoken to one person who isn’t voting for him! The rest are a waste of a vote. I know I’m having a laugh at this, but the results of decades of only morons to vote for and populist spineless morons now. The cost and damage is too high...

How close the final count will be remains to be seen of course, but if that Limerick newspaper poll posted earlier is anything to go by, it might not be the "sure thing" for MDH that everyone expected even a fortnight ago.
    Who are the two you consider to be candidates?
    If you are saying casey I honestly don't see it.
    It would be a shock if he finished second...well to me anyway. Id think Sean Gallagher might scrape it.
    Do you have a link to Limerick poll? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Limerick are more likely to be behind Casey.

I work in retail, and their are 5 people who when I see them coming. My job is to try and reduce how much stock I'm going to loose. But I will certainly lose stock and there is nothing I can do about it. No amount of security can watch groups who split up.

They all live out on Childers Road, and there are many other retailers who suffer when they get visited by these folks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement