Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As I keep telling my U.16 team nobody remembers who was second.
    But in this case second would be a kick in the hole to the establishment and it would be attained on the "traveller" factor which needs to be debated.

PS
    It was in the last debate in 2011 that Gallagher was targeted with the grenade.

There wasn't 50% or more between him and Higgins though. If one of them has a grenade for Higgins they better hope it doesn't go off in their face. There is 70% of love out there for the man.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    He won't apologise.. He's built his entire campaign in the last few days on sticking by his principles, even if they're unpopular with the established media and political figures.

I think he wasn't prepared for the reality of the race he entered, and the reaction from high profile groups to his own (I think sincere) opinions on the issues put to him - he strikes me as a man who just answers a question directly rather than trying to spin it like say our current Taoiseach.

For that reason I, perhaps innocently, am inclined to believe that he was prepared to quit on Friday night, but went home and the support from his family, friends and the flood of emails he says he received made him reconsider.

And got his interview and letter sorted for the Sunday papers. Yeh ok, we believe you Peter.
    Stunt written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There wasn't 50% or more between him and Higgins though. If one of them has a grenade for Higgins they better hope it doesn't go off in their face. There is 70% of love out there for the man.

And he'll win but I don't expect them to give him an easy ride. I also wouldn't be surprised if he didn't turn up at all to avoid the grenade if his lead is so big.

And he'll win but I don't expect them to give him an easy ride. I also wouldn't be surprised if he didn't turn up at all to avoid the grenade if his lead is so big.

Well as of now he is doing it, but not the last one.
    Gallagher on a sticky wicket now because he has opted himself out of the last one too. And he needs it. Bit of a foolish move again from Seanie.

The podcast where Casey spoke his mind has severely backfired on whoever thought they'd run with it in an attempt to damage him.

I'm really enjoying our political and media overlords trying to get the toothpaste back in the tube.

I truly believe Casey's in with a genuine shot now, if the general consensus on the radio text in programmes, and social media platforms are anything to go by.

Wasn't even 100% on voting at all, but thanks to the unashamed demonisation of this man (and the Taoiseach trying to influence how people vote) got me over the line.

Casey will get my number 1early on Friday morning.

Which podcast is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Love? That's a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And got his interview and letter sorted for the Sunday papers. Yeh ok, we believe you Peter.
    Stunt written all over it.

Francie, let's be honest here.. No matter what the guy says or does, it's not going to be enough for you.. And that's your perogative of course.

But you're not his audience. It's the people who are undecided or who are tired of the same old business as usual cozy cartel politics that are responding to him.

Myself I knew practically nothing about the man until a few weeks ago other than he was on Dragon's Den Ireland (which I don't watch as I prefer the UK version). I don't rate MDH at all for reasons I've outlined previously, and so I would have probably voted Gallagher if at all to be honest.

But as Gallagher has done nothing really to convince me, and as Casey has made comments I'd tend to largely agree with (not so much the disporia angle but certainly on the traveller and welfare state issues), and as he's been almost universally vilified and attacked for those - IMO entirely reasonable and justifiable - remarks, he appeals to me from that perspective too.
    I'm equally on record here as being tired of the social media witch hunts, and right on group think that preaches tolerance and acceptance (... but only if you're on message!) and so I respect that he's standing by his positions despite the loud and vocal attacks and attempts to shout him down.

As I said above, I also like the fact that he's not a rehearsed, populist career politician who is trying to tell me what I should think about him or any issue, while treating me like an idiot by saying that black is white.

For those reasons he'll be getting my vote anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Well I have asked several times what 'actual' extra rights they have that you and I don't have or other settled people on welfare etc don't have. And nobody has been able to tell me. This is what Casey claimed btw.

And the statement that 'travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land' is wholly incorrect too.

The extra rights they have are completely undefined in law.
    It's the fact they know they can get away with not paying road tax, getting caught by the guards and nothing happening.
    It's the fact they can stick down 100m of tarmac and pay no tax but claim jsa or disability at the same time, and again nothing happens to them.
    It's the fact they can keep collecting people's waste, depositing it in the likes of labre park near balyfermot, then getting council sponsored outreach groups to clean up the waste, all the time laughing and shouting how it'll be filled back up by the Monday of the bank holiday boss!
    They've no respect for society as they aren't asked to partake in society, which is pretty much down to the likes of you Francie.
    Your apologising for them is excusing them. It's not helping.
    By the way I don't limit this to travelers only, it applies to allot of unemployed scroungers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Well as of now he is doing it, but not the last one.
    Gallagher on a sticky wicket now because he has opted himself out of the last one too. And he needs it. Bit of a foolish move again from Seanie.

300 posts! You seem very invested in this election. So apart from opposing Peter Casey are you actively supporting Michael D Higgins or another candidate?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I don't think Casey has the brains to have calculated all this out,

But from talking to guys in my area - builders, taxi men , pub owners , fathers with kids without houses.

Travelers have been called out on their unacceptable behavior.

Refusing a house in Ireland in 2018 - is about the worst PR stunt in the history of PR.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It'll be interesting to see if the Limerick Leader's poll gets much publicity tomorrow. There's a few studies that show polling influences results.

This is a pretty good election for one study: Boomerang and Bandwagon.

The Boomerang is basically complacency in supporters of a runaway leader. Some supporters don't bother voting because "ah sure they'll romp home".

The Bandwagon is when an outsider gathers a gain in momentum and sleeping supporters are more inclined to bother to vote.

I wouldn't hold too much faith in the LL's poll as it's probably reactionary divilment:). But if it gets much publicity it could tighten the margins in what was, and still is, a one horse race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Well I have asked several times what 'actual' extra rights they have that you and I don't have or other settled people on welfare etc don't have. And nobody has been able to tell me.

Besides being recognised as a distinct minority race, with the protections afforded to minorities, there's

Housing (Traveller Accommodation) Act, 1998

and funding going towards inclusive measures (distinct from integration, which is no longer seen as a priority)

Funding going towards things like attempting to provide remediation between feuding traveler families, or promotion of traveler culture.

Travelers predominantly don't work, yet largely seem to live beyond their means. I think we can all add 2 and 2 together in relation to that.

They never get pulled up for animal cruelty, for tax evasion, racketeering. They are only occasionally pulled up for trespass and organised crime (and they've kicked up blue murder about trespass).

Everyone tiptoes around them. All politicians, all public bodies, constantly look out to make sure that travelers aren't marginalized, whilst accepting the Traveler stance that they don't want to be part of Irish society. Even preventing under-age marriage was deemed 'anti-traveller'.
    And the statement that 'travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land' is wholly incorrect too.

So they bought and own the land then? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

There are some people posting here who are bigoted and some who are uneducated in the facts they are talking about.

Would you be happy for a large halting site to be opened next to your house?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    He won't apologise.. He's built his entire campaign in the last few days on sticking by his principles, even if they're unpopular with the established media and political figures.

I think he wasn't prepared for the reality of the race he entered, and the reaction from high profile groups to his own (I think sincere) opinions on the issues put to him - he strikes me as a man who just answers a question directly rather than trying to spin it like say our current Taoiseach.

For that reason I, perhaps innocently, am inclined to believe that he was prepared to quit on Friday night, but went home and the support from his family, friends and the flood of emails he says he received made him reconsider.

My husband saw him last Friday morning in his local cafe. He sat on his own for his breakfast and apart from his phone hopping and saying hello if someone said hello to him, my husband said he looked like a man who just wanted to enjoy his breakfast in peace. He was afforded that courtesy.

I believe he was overwhelmed by it all and I don’t blame him for wanting to take some down time. I also believe that he received a considerable amount of emails and texts of support (I emailed him) and he then saw that the stance that the media had taken wasn’t a true reflection of how the public felt.

If you’re reading this Peter, best of luck tonight and on Friday.

Besides being recognised as a distinct minority race, with the protections afforded to minorities, there's

Housing (Traveller Accommodation) Act, 1998

and funding going towards inclusive measures (distinct from integration, which is no longer seen as a priority)

Funding going towards things like attempting to provide remediation between feuding traveler families, or promotion of traveler culture.

Travelers predominantly don't work, yet largely seem to live beyond their means. I think we can all add 2 and 2 together in relation to that.

They never get pulled up for animal cruelty, for tax evasion, racketeering. They are only occasionally pulled up for trespass and organised crime (and they've kicked up blue murder about trespass).

Everyone tiptoes around them. All politicians, all public bodies, constantly look out to make sure that travelers aren't marginalized, whilst accepting the Traveler stance that they don't want to be part of Irish society. Even preventing under-age marriage was deemed 'anti-traveller'.

Those are not extra 'right's' over and above others. In fact if you examine that act they are measures to give them the same status as everyone else and protect them.

And how does an Act of 1998 show that SEMS which was only given a year ago gave them more rights? :rolleyes:
    So they bought and own the land then? :rolleyes:

74% of Travellers are in housing. It was a cheap generalisation designed to whip up hate imo.

LiamoSail wrote: »

There is one 300 yrds away. Already said it, it has caused no more trouble than some of the pubs here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

There is one 300 yrds away. Already said it, it has caused no more trouble than some of the pubs here.

How many of its occupants trudge down the streets to factories, building sites, shops or offices every morning?
    Apart from the social office or the post office that is?

Edward M wrote: »
    How many of its occupants trudge down the streets to factories, building sites, shops or offices every morning?
    Apart from the social office or the post office that is?

No idea. Not many I would say. Traveller unemployment is extremely high and always has been.
    It's one of the issue there is with the traveller community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

LiamoSail wrote: »

Thats a stupid question on here, as it was on the PK live debate with the candidates.

Stupid because everyone will say YES cos they know its an easy answer which makes them look all inclusive and like a great person.

When in reality most who say YES are lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

So someone utterly unqualified for the job of President says something crazy and all of a sudden he's a contender?!

Has everyone turned into dumb as f*** Americans all of a sudden or are we forgetting WE are Irish?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There’s a reason why it’s almost impossible to build a bar in a residential area. Comparing a pub to a halting site for trouble speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

hurler32 wrote: »

Another facet of their culture that we could do without.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There’s a reason why it’s almost impossible to build a bar in a residential area. Comparing a pub to a halting site for trouble speaks volumes.

:confused::confused: Sorry, no idea what you mean there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

hurler32 wrote: »

So these folk have been ordered by a judge to pay cost of €100k.

We all know that ain't going to happen, so what will actually happen them? Will they all be jailed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Margaret Cash has demonstrated the traveller lifestyle and mentality to us.
    She shamelessly posts her lifestyle of facebook and to her fellow travellers its normal.
    Margaret Cashes children will do exactly what dhe does and none of the multitude of financial iniatives spent on travellers has made a difference in the almost thirty years Cash has spent on this earth, her children will reach thirty years of age too and be in the exact same situation as their mother.
    The people earning a crust in the defence and promotion of travellers rights know this, their work is pointless but it pays a good wage and its permanent and pensionable. No one is going to question outcomes because thats racist.
    We have been advised of one positive thing about traveller culture(Irish music)Is there anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

smokingman wrote: »
    Has everyone turned into dumb as f*** Americans all of a sudden or are we forgetting WE are Irish?!

The state of that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

NIMAN wrote: »
    So these folk have been ordered by a judge to pay cost of €100k.

We all know that ain't going to happen, so what will actually happen them? Will they all be jailed?

I see the husband of the model was one of the gang who terrorised a family in clonmel. The householder managed to call the Gardai and they could hear very young children screaming as they heard their Dad being tortured by seven thugs. Husband of model got fourteen years, he is probably out soon snd God help rural Ireland when he is.
    Imagine pretending you have spinal injuries to make money, these people are sbsolutely disgusting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement