Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    and as Casey has made comments I'd tend to largely agree with (not so much the disporia angle but certainly on the traveller and welfare state issues), and as he's been almost universally vilified and attacked for those - IMO entirely reasonable and justifiable - remarks, he appeals to me from that perspective too..

I think this Casey things highlights the gulf between the media and the man on the street.

I have not personally heard a single person disagree with Caseys comments - not one single person, yet the media have him portrayed as some foaming at the mouth bigot.

I'm delighted he said what he did - I'm sick and tired of the hypocrisy and the pandering to the like of John Connor and Pavee Point - over-publicised mouth pieces for a "culture" which is essentially parasitic and should be just allowed to die of natural causes - so what if you've always done "X" the world changes, we all need to change with it or we'd still be hunther gatherers.

Sponging, thieving, littering and fighting is not a culture worth preserving. "But we used to travel from town to town, mending pots and pans!" So fúcking what, we throw them out now and get new ones, time to find a new trade! We USED to put kids up chimneys and live in indentured servitude - we moved on, it was good for us!

30,000 travellers in Ireland and look at the trouble they cause and the money they cost. We could take in a million refugees for the price and they would actually benefit us as a whole.

It's time to call a spade a spade!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭enricoh

I get a good laugh out of the calling out videos on YouTube!
    thats literally it though. It's one thing more than I can say about the roma gypsies - they need to up their game!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

smokingman wrote: »
    Has everyone turned into dumb as f*** Americans all of a sudden or are we forgetting WE are Irish?!
    Yeah, cos we have a great history of electing politicians who are out to do great public service, are honest, don't operate parish-pump policies etc?

Ireland is as corrupt as they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

tretorn wrote: »
    Imagine pretending you have spinal injuries to make money, these people are sbsolutely disgusting.

I wonder what antics like that cost MIBI on a yearly basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So someone utterly unqualified for the job of President says something crazy and all of a sudden he's a contender?!

Has everyone turned into dumb as f*** Americans all of a sudden or are we forgetting WE are Irish?!

Unqualified?? The only qualifications you need are 1) be an Irish citizen and 2) be over 35. He qualifies on both counts.

• Advertisement

Imagine pretending you have spinal injuries to make money, these people are sbsolutely disgusting.

To be fair to travellers on this one, there are plenty of normal Irish people who pull insurance scams on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think this Casey things highlights the gulf between the media and the man on the street.

I have not personally heard a single person disagree with Caseys comments - not one single person, yet the media have him portrayed as some foaming at the mouth bigot.

:) Can you link to some examples of that please?
    I'm delighted he said what he did - I'm sick and tired of the hypocrisy and the pandering to the like of John Connor and Pavee Point - over-publicised mouth pieces for a "culture" which is essentially parasitic and should be just allowed to die of natural causes - so what if you've always done "X" the world changes, we all need to change with it or we'd still be hunther gatherers.

Sponging, thieving, littering and fighting is not a culture worth preserving. "But we used to travel from town to town, mending pots and pans!" So fúcking what, we USED to put kids up chimneys and live in indentured servitude - we moved on!

30,000 travellers in Ireland and look at the trouble they cause and the money they cost. We could take in a million refugees for the price and they would actually benefit us as a whole.

It's time to call a spade a spade!

Apparently, to 'call a spade a spade' the argument here is that he didn't say any of that at all, at all - he merely objected to their ethnic minority status.

I have been arguing that that is what he wanted to incite and you have just shown the success of what he said. It's ok, you aren't the first. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be fair to travellers on this one, there are plenty of normal Irish people who pull insurance scams on a daily basis.

True. Self enrichment by pulling a fast one is a not unknown Irish trait. We see this nearly every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

NIMAN wrote: »

Yes, thats true but to be fair other non travellers committing insurance fraud arent claiming ethnic minority status.

And if they arent travellers the authorities will make sure they face the consequences of their crimes. The travelkers stick two fingers up while they rack up convictions. The convictions mean nothing to them because they dont work and never intend to work so convictions wont affect non existent employment records.
    The four women in the linked srticle could have forty children between them so no matter what they do all they will get is a lecture.

Margaret Cash has demonstrated the traveller lifestyle and mentality to us.
    She shamelessly posts her lifestyle of facebook and to her fellow travellers its normal.
    Margaret Cashes children will do exactly what dhe does and none of the multitude of financial iniatives spent on travellers has made a difference in the almost thirty years Cash has spent on this earth, her children will reach thirty years of age too and be in the exact same situation as their mother.
    The people earning a crust in the defence and promotion of travellers rights know this, there work is pointless but it pays a good wage and its permanent and pensionable. No one is going to question outcomes because thats racist.
    We have been advised of one positive thing about traveller culture(Irish music)Is there anything else?

The media really showed their true colours when the story broke. I have yet to see any of them ask her to elaborate (or investigate) on how she ended up with eviction notices on two properties. Miriam O’Callaghan asked her why she left school at such a young age and she said if she left because of all the drugs at school. It turns out (based on the Penney’s case last week), that she was taking drugs anyway. But Miriam tells her she’s a great Mum even though she has 37 convictions and at the time was awaiting trial for NO38.

Telling everyone she is single Mum but lo and behold as soon as her husband is released on bail awaiting trial for a vicious crime, he’s back with her and once again nobody bats an eyelid. FWIW, I’m sceptical about the whole he was seeing another woman bit and we’ve split up bit due to the fact she has her married name once again on her FB profile.

There are so many more worthwhile families who are struggling with this housing crisis and the media have served them an injustice by making Margaret Cash the poster girl. The media are so out of touch with public sentiment as their reporting of Peter Casey last week showed. My vote on Friday is as much a protest at them as it is at the politicians who will soon be calling around looking for my general election vote.

GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I do find it funny how basically everything he says is what's been preached on AH in the last six months. It's almost like he reads the forum.

Are you there, Paddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Unqualified?? The only qualifications you need are 1) be an Irish citizen and 2) be over 35. He qualifies on both counts.

I think not being a self serving asshole who can actually string to words together might be considered a qualification too.

Everytime ive heard casey speak he is as coherent as trump and everything ive learned of the man leads me to believe he only cares about increasing his own wealth and personal image and will do whatever it takes to achieve those goals.

Also since one of the main responsibilities of the role is defender of the constitution i think simply having read it enough to understand it might be a good requirement and I honestly believe none of the candidates bar Higgins and maybe Ni Riada have done this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The media really showed their true colours when the story broke. I have yet to see any of them ask her to elaborate (or investigate) on how she ended up with eviction notices on two properties. Miriam O’Callaghan asked her why she left school at such a young age and she said if she left because of all the drugs at school. It turns out (based on the Penney’s case last week), that she was taking drugs anyway. But Miriam tells her she’s a great Mum even though she has 37 convictions and at the time was awaiting trial for NO38.

Telling everyone she is single Mum but lo and behold as soon as her husband is released on bail awaiting trial for a vicious crime, he’s back with her and once again nobody bats an eyelid. FWIW, I’m sceptical about the whole he was seeing another woman bit and we’ve split up bit due to the fact she has her married name once again on her FB profile.

There are so many more worthwhile families who are struggling with this housing crisis and the media have served them an injustice by making Margaret Cash the poster girl. The media are so out of touch with public sentiment as their reporting of Peter Casey last week showed. My vote on Friday is as much a protest at them as it is at the politicians who will soon be calling around looking for my general election vote.

GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!

If the media have not been disclosing all of this stuff how do you know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And a ****ton of cash. Running a campaign isn't cheap.

If the media have not been disclosing all of this stuff how do you know about it?

The 37 conviction part only came out with the Penney’s case. The story about being in the car with the stolen goods was found by a poster on here. It was reported as a stand-alone article when it eventually went to court but was never brought up again when she found infamy.

Poster certainly didnt get the information from the media.

I would like to know Cashes renting history. I would suspect a large percentage of the homeless are homeless because of their anti social behaviour but this is never dwelt on.

Margaret Cash should be asked why she has so many children when she hasnt the means to rear them other than depending on welfare payments. She should be asked about future family planning now as seven children with both parents unemployable is beyond most right thinking oeoples comphrehension.
    She should also be asked why she stole clothes from Penneys when she is being adequately funded by the state to clothe her family, does she realise those of us who pay for our shopping are paying for her stolen shopping through increased prices to cover stock loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

So someone utterly unqualified for the job of President says something crazy and all of a sudden he's a contender?!

This is brilliant, posts like this make the suggestions by the dragons that doing the job for free is a legitimate tactic.

What they both do is show a complete disrespect for the job that you can meet some criteria that the regular person cannot.

The beauty of the presidential process is that in theory just about anyone is qualified to run (within the parameters ).

Calhoun wrote: »
    The beauty of the presidential process is that in theory just about anyone is qualified to run (within the parameters ).

Anyone is qualified to have kids, it doesn't mean everyone should,

Ironically I think that also might literally be the argument made by many on here regarding margaret cash

Poster certainly didnt get the information from the media.

I would like to know Cashes renting history. I would suspect a large percentage of the homeless are homeless because of their anti social behaviour but this is never dwelt on.

Margaret Cash should be asked why she has so many children when she hasnt the means to rear them other than depending on welfare payments. She should be asked about future family planning now as seven children with both parents unemployable is beyond most right thinking oeoples comphrehension.
    She should also be asked why she stole clothes from Penneys when she is being adequately funded by the state to clothe her family, does she realise those of us who pay for our shopping are paying for her stolen shopping through increased prices to cover stock loss.

Who are you expecting to ask these questions?

The likes of Miriam, Claire Byrne, Ryan Turbidy, Ray D'arcy, the Indo?

They don't want to, doesn't fit into their narrative and agenda.

The likes of Niall Boylan or George Hook, or Peter Casey will ask them, but the hoards will accuse them of being racists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

VinLieger wrote: »
    Anyone is qualified to have kids, it doesn't mean everyone should,

Ironically I think that also might literally be the argument made by many on here regarding margaret cash

I love the changing of goal posts to suit narrative , having it so visible just makes it all the better.

The many people who have bern waiting for the media to adk the relevant questions will be the ones voting for Peter Casey.
    Any normal person who is getting nothing from the state except child benefit is going to ask why has Margaret Cash had so many children. The taxpayer have the right to expect the media to ask this question because Cadh is screaming that the taxpayer, ie the gubbermint isnt looking after her.
    Its clear to the onlooker that she is being entirely funded from the cradle to the grave and there is didly squat the taxpayer can do about this.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I love the changing of goal posts to suit narrative , having it so visible just makes it all the better.

What goalposts? Its called an analogy.

Btw I agree with a lot of what casey said I just don't think he is fit to represent the country as compared to Higgins.

And like what you said virtually anyone is qualified to run for president as long as they are over 35 but that doesn't mean just anyone would do the job well.

Do you understand the point I was trying to make now or do you need it spelled out letter by letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

When is the next poll out?

VinLieger wrote: »
    What goalposts? Its called an analogy.

Btw I agree with a lot of what casey said I just don't think he is fit to represent the country as compared to Higgins.

And like what you said virtually anyone is qualified to run for president as long as they are over 35 but that doesn't mean just anyone would do the job well.

Do you understand the point I was trying to make now or do you need it spelled out letter by letter?

If any, ANY, of the other candidates had taken just a small bit of time last week to gauge what the public were actually thinking rather than just go “Casey is a bold bold man” then the debate right now could have been so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Casey now 4/1 in betting without mdh

KevIRL wrote: »

yup with Sean G at evens and Ni Riada at 13/8 so both still ahead.

Will all be flipped on its head when the next poll is released

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

KevIRL wrote: »

I've already 15e on him, @ 16-1.

I reckon he's with another 100 at those odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

jjmcclure wrote: »
    When is the next poll out?
    NEVER!

Its the media suppressing them so they dont show the Casey wave of support....soaring from 2%....to probably about 8% at my guess :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

enricoh wrote: »
    I get a good laugh out of the calling out videos on YouTube!
    thats literally it though. It's one thing more than I can say about the roma gypsies - they need to up their game!

Actually that is the one part of their "culture" that needs to be preserved - it is comedy gold, up there with the best of Monty Python or the Fast Show:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement