Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

jmayo wrote: »

So let me guess we should not vote for him because he won't get many votes.
    Conversely we could argue why vote for micheal D as he will get loads of votes ?

Ah yes revert to argument how a vote for Casey is wasted because he ultimately can't do anything as president.

Again we could turn that on it's head and say a vote for miceal D is wasted because he can't do anything as president either.
    Did I once say that? lol
    People can vote for whoever they like...it is kind of the point of voting, we live in a democracy (despite what some posters seem to say on here...)
    In my opinion MDH has done a good job as president, you seem to think Casey would do a better one.
    Based on what? Him stating travellers shouldnt have any special status (I agree with that btw) - he will have zero power to change this. The other things he seems to have come out with are nonsensical rubbish, mostly vague notions about the diaspora, he doesnt seem to have any clear idea of what the role of president involves, his main tactic seems to be to fling mud and hope some sticks (the attack ad with regards the dogs was bizarre) he would clearly be better of running as a TD I have no doubt he would get a fair whack of votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You assume that the bold part is a good thing ?????

And for every Eastern European immigrant who works their bollocks off, there are plenty more from other parts of the world who do not.

FYI - the Turkish barber shop in my town is known to be a front for say "unsavoury activities".

I think any form of diversity that would dilute the home grown xenophobia you display would be a great thing.

I'd hate if the Irish in the UK, US, Canada or Australia were subject to the same sentiment you display

As joeytheparrot would tell you it is probably Thorntons recycling next door that is causing all that rubbish.

The real laugh here is how long someone with that posters sexual preference would last in a traveller encampment much like how long they would last in the company of another one of their cause cause celebres.

So let me guess we should not vote for him because he won't get many votes.
    Conversely we could argue why vote for micheal D as he will get loads of votes ?

Ah yes revert to argument how a vote for Casey is wasted because he ultimately can't do anything as president.

Again we could turn that on it's head and say a vote for miceal D is wasted because he can't do anything as president either.
    Well apart from take the jet on little trips around Ireland. :D

Ehh that trip to court re being found in car with loads of stolen loot down in Wexford was brought up on threads here by a few posters, myself included, about the homeless campaigner when people were falling over themselves to fawn over her and her supposedly awful situation.

That's what I meant J. It was the original (now locked) Cash thread that brought it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

unless you are voting for bilbo, any one other than PC is a waste of a vote IMO, at least a vote for him, will be an anti establishment vote and could actually see him winning it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I think any form of diversity that would dilute the home grown xenophobia you display would be a great thing.

I'd hate if the Irish in the UK, US, Canada or Australia were subject to the same sentiment you display

ANY form of diversity ? FGM ? Segregated areas in Colleges (seen that before) ?

No go areas for women ? Dilution and removal of hard earned rights for women and the LGBT community ?

How ignorant a post you made there. Ashamed for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So what? These are people coming here to make a better life for themselves in much the same way generations of Irish have in the UK, Aus and the US.

They're coming over here and adding to the diversity of culture, and contributing. The fact you mention barber shops demonstrates they're here to work and be part of society.

I'm all for Casey and his war on the scroungers, but if he targets the immigrants my conscience couldn't allow me vote for him

Here's his take on immigrants.
    He also told RTs Six One that Ireland was a melting pot with a 120,000 people from Poland and tens of thousands of people from all over Europe.

He said it was wonderful that there was such a diverse community, which represented the future of Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

You have Rte journalists coming on TV last night running through the figures as per polls taken before caseys comments. If they don't have a recent poll, they should say that and say that things have moved on a lot since last poll but no, they still call out the figures with case at the bottom on 2 percent.
    If I had gone on holidays to some random corrupt state and observed what I'm seeing here, I would be thinking how mad it all way and wondering why the people were stating by and not complaining. Hopefully the real poll will set things straight.
    I'm saying casey will get 20 percent plus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Sizeable Polish and Eastern European community in my town - workers to a man, graft like there's no tomorrow and grateful for their opportunity here.

More of them please!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Ah yes either another worried supporter of one of the main party candidates or one of the crusaders for social liberation i.e. supporter of the usual luvvies like travellers, the permanently unemployed (also see travellers), the perennial criminals (also see travellers), bogus asylum seekers and refugees, muslim non conformists, make up your own gender today, etc.

Ah yes lets allude to some of the go to points as to why not to vote for the most honest speaking candidate.

When you can't argue the point and inconvenient headlines appear such as very public homeless campaigner and traveller visits court yet again, then you have to turn to some of the go to statements.

1. you are a bit thick, actually you are very thick.
    2. he is a one issue candidate so why vote for him.
    3. sure why vote for him as he will only get 5% of the vote.
    4. sure it doesn't matter anyway because he can't change anything as president.
    5. oh and you are a racist like Casey.

Now have I left anyone out ?

I have noticed the same slant on numerous posts from all the anti Casey posters.

Ehh I will vote no 1 for him and I have a honours degree and masters in engineering.
    And I know quite a few other university degree people who will do likewise.
    Of course maybe if I did a degree in some social studies or gender studies course with subsequent taxpayer funded job I might vote differently. :rolleyes:

There is a 6th courtesy of this creep.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108422067&postcount=4581

rovertom wrote: »
    You have Rte journalists coming on TV last night running through the figures as per polls taken before caseys comments. If they don't have a recent poll, they should say that and say that things have moved on a lot since last poll but no, they still call out the figures with case at the bottom on 2 percent.
    If I had gone on holidays to some random corrupt state and observed what I'm seeing here, I would be thinking how mad it all way and wondering why the people were stating by and not complaining. Hopefully the real poll will set things straight.
    I'm saying casey will get 20 percent plus.
    Casey might get decent first preferences in Donegal, limerick etc, but I honestly dont see it in Dublin, I highly doubt he will get much over 10/12%, still pretty impressive considering where his numbers came from, maybe other politicians will look at some of the good points he has made (RE Travellers, long term dole etc) and actually try and do something about them....you never know :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Did that RTE interview take place before or after his comments on the travellers? Genuinely asking as I didn't see it.

Did that RTE interview take place before or after his comments on the travellers? Genuinely asking as I didn't see it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/presidential-election/2018/1017/1004716-presidential-election/

Think it was that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

He isn't allowed to do a mini election. Broadcasters have to operate under very tight regulation on these things.

I don’t know what point you are trying to make. The fact is there is a media bias towards MDH. This isn’t surprising given how the government have rewarded the media with further tax breaks in the past budget. One good turn deserves another.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

gmisk wrote: »
    Casey might get decent first preferences in Donegal, limerick etc, but I honestly dont see it in Dublin, I highly doubt he will get much over 10/12%, still pretty impressive considering where his numbers came from, maybe other politicians will look at some of the good points he has made (RE Travellers, long term dole etc) and actually try and do something about them....you never know :D

he has already done far more by speaking a truth than the rest have this campaign! the rest of them are a total waste of space, its the reason I may not vote in the general election. If all of them are running on a platform of more of the same, dont speak the truth, dont get anything done... F**K them. I can be happy in the knowledge I voted for non of them...

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I don’t know what point you are trying to make. The fact is there is a media bias towards MDH. This isn’t surprising given how the government have rewarded the media with further tax breaks in the past budget. One good turn deserves another.

wouldnt PC be far better for them? the hobbit wont generate years of headlines and debate. PC might well do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

NIMAN wrote: »
    @ JohnnyDogs, You got decent odds there, I hope you lift a pile !!

I'd agree with your last comment. I think the media will do their best tonight to make him last as bad as possible. After all, they need to protect their darling MDH. And PC isn't the most eloquent of men. Not a great orator.

Casey going from 500/1 to 40/1 to win is very telling. Bookies normally aren't too far off the mark.

If they go all out and gang up on him it will backfire.
    So what? These are people coming here to make a better life for themselves in much the same way generations of Irish have in the UK, Aus and the US.

They're coming over here and adding to the diversity of culture, and contributing. The fact you mention barber shops demonstrates they're here to work and be part of society.

I'm all for Casey and his war on the scroungers, but if he targets the immigrants my conscience couldn't allow me vote for him

There are immigrants and there are immigrants.
    The Eastern Europeans that are here are working and usually working hard.
    I have known quite a few Chinese here and whilst they are supposedly here as students some were holding down two jobs and working very hard indeed.

Then we have the likes of Pamela Izevbekhai chancing her arm to stay in a social welfare Western European country and we have the class of "immigrant" that have turned up in Germany who really are in for the nice social welfare provided lifestyle.
    A lot of the latter that made to Germany and are coming across the Med every other day do not have any skills and do not have the language to actually get a job here.

I am not allowed discuss …

Can I first apologies for the balls up I made of the opinion tables above. Can someone check something for me though? I retrieved the info from wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_presidential_election,_2018

If you click the citation link on the final one (last day of polling 17 Oct) it brings you to the Irish times that also has a publishing date of Wed 17 October @ 5am. Then it goes on to say that the info is from the previous Wed, Thu & Fri.

Am I reading that correctly? Has someone listed it on wiki in a misleading way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

ANY form of diversity ? FGM ? Segregated areas in Colleges (seen that before) ?

No go areas for women ? Dilution and removal of hard earned rights for women and the LGBT community ?

How ignorant a post you made there. Ashamed for you.

You're deliberately misinterpreting my point.

If you view an argument in favour of diversity as being the same as opposing women's rights (to pick just one of the bat**** crazy interpretations you arrived at), it's probably more down to your own prejudice

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Idbatterim wrote: »
    wouldnt PC be far better for them? the hobbit wont generate years of headlines and debate. PC might well do that...

Would the Irish media use the same tactics as used by the American media against Trump if Casey got elected.
    Throw as much dirt as possible from day one, hoping some will stick.
    They would be seriously pissed off if their "boy" lost. It would be a real slap in face for them. All their hijacking of public opinion being rejected.
    It would be fascinating to observe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Can I first apologies for the balls up I made of the opinion tables above. Can someone check something for me though? I retrieved the info from wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_presidential_election,_2018

If you click the citation link on the final one (last day of polling 17 Oct) it brings you to the Irish times that also has a publishing date of Wed 17 October @ 5am. Then it goes on to say that the info is from the previous Wed, Thu & Fri.

Am I reading that correctly? Has someone listed it on wiki in a misleading way?

What you said looks correct to me, which means the data was collected before all but the first radio debate.

• Advertisement

quintana76 wrote: »
    Would the Irish media use the same tactics as used by the American media against Trump if Casey got elected.
    They would be seriously pissed off if their "boy" lost. It would be a real slap in face for them. All their hijacking of public opinion being rejected.
    Ah now in fairness you dont have to dig too far to get dirt on Trump, he has done and said some seriously dodgy things.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    What you said looks correct to me, which means the data was collected before all but the first radio debate.

Thanks. I have no idea how to amend wiki.

quintana76 wrote: »

exactly, I cant deal with living in a state that represents one voice only! no change, dont have an opinion unless its the liberal lefts! We might as well be living in China with the censorship and control! That *(£$*(£*$£*$"£ Varadkar is the epitome of whats wrong with this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Thanks. I have no idea how to amend wiki.

I dont want to know, the temptation would be too strong.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    unless you are voting for bilbo, any one other than PC is a waste of a vote IMO, at least a vote for him, will be an anti establishment vote and could actually see him winning it...

This assumes anti-establishment is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This assumes anti-establishment is a good thing

Seemingly most voters don't really think so as two establishment parties are running the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

gmisk wrote: »
    Ah now in fairness you dont have to dig too far to get dirt on Trump, he has done and said some seriously dodgy things.

The general public saw what the democrats aided by the fawning media tried to do with Trumps nominee to the supreme court. It opened an awful lot of lies to the bias of the media.

Crazy Blaisey Ford was the least credible person I have ever seen and yet she got hours and hours of airtime to air her fantasy. I didnt agree with Trump jeering at her as its not Presidential behaviour but his jeering was effective and the media were never going to point out that none of what she said would ever be grounds for a Court Case.

Michael Higgins is getting a very easy ride on the expenses, they Presidential expenses have risen and the Public Accounts Committee called the Secretary General of the Finance Department before it to discuss the bill for Michael Ds tenure. The Secretary General said the Office of the president was not answerable to the Dail and in this case who is watching the pennies in the ARAS. You cant go around lecturing and speaking eloquently about the homeless and deprived travellers and then jet yourself off to Belfast in a private jet.

The optics dont look good.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/presidential-expenses-annual-allowance-of-317-000-is-not-audited-1.3640646

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hadn't realised that Michael D Moneybags has already ruled himself out of the final debate. Absolutely pathetic.

Tonight’s debate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hadn't realised that Michael D Moneybags has already ruled himself out of the final debate. Absolutely pathetic.

He will be attending tonight

This is an absolute lie and has to be the most blatant and pathetic attempt at disinformation ive seen so far. You yourself are pathetic for attempting to spread such horsetripe.

Edit: didnt realise virgin one were actually having another debate as can find zero publicity regarding it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement