Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I hope Prime Time actually keeps them on topic and it doesn't degenerate into some nonsense about government policy that has nothing to do with the presidency.

The are all soapboxing and going massively OT.

Maybe a particularly strict boards.ie moderator should host!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

VinLieger wrote: »
    He will be attending tonight

This is an absolute lie and has to be the most blatant and pathetic attempt at disinformation ive seen so far. You yourself are pathetic for attempting to spread such horsetripe.

Edit: didnt realise virgin one were actually having another debate as can find zero publicity regarding it

I see a lot of backwards wheels spinning, yet no apology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ten Pin wrote: »
    All candidates on Prime Time tonight (no audience).

https://www.rte.ie/news/presidential-election/2018/1017/1004805-television-debate-aras/

MDH not going on TV3 tomorrow night, and Gallagher foolishly won't either, Gallagher needs to stand on his own 2 feet and ignore what MDH is or isn't doing.

Although if there's any hint of Casey gaining after tonight then both MDH and Gallagher may have no choice and turn up tomorrow. Be funny to see them skulking around the TV3 grounds in case the other turns up unannounced!

Gallagher is attending. Jeez, are people in here getting their news by carrier pigeon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

He will be attending tonight

This is an absolute lie and has to be the most blatant and pathetic attempt at disinformation ive seen so far. You yourself are pathetic for attempting to spread such horsetripe.

Edit: didnt realise virgin one were actually having another debate as can find zero publicity regarding it

Think you forgot the apology there?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Edit. Sorry incorrect post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Gallagher has said he will be appearing on all televised debates, so that leaves MDH looking like the odd one out.

Me?

I'd want to be there to defend myself, it'll look like Higgins is hiding imo.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/gallagher-does-uturn-with-days-to-go-says-he-will-participate-in-all-remaining-presidential-debates-37449508.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What goalposts? Its called an analogy.

Btw I agree with a lot of what casey said I just don't think he is fit to represent the country as compared to Higgins.

And like what you said virtually anyone is qualified to run for president as long as they are over 35 but that doesn't mean just anyone would do the job well.

Do you understand the point I was trying to make now or do you need it spelled out letter by letter?

Perhaps a second preference ...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

Memo to RTÉ from the government -
    Go handy on mickey D and nail Casey on anything at all tonight. The rubber stamp is inked and awaits the tv licence increase!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

elperello wrote: »
    Seemingly most voters don't really think so as two establishment parties are running the country.

those two parties are seen as the least **** options!

Gallagher has said he will be appearing on all televised debates, so that leaves MDH looking like the odd one out.

Me?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/gallagher-does-uturn-with-days-to-go-says-he-will-participate-in-all-remaining-presidential-debates-37449508.html
    maybe he is going on a journey, the last time bilbo went on a journey, he never returned! Here's hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Idbatterim wrote: »
    those two parties are seen as the least **** options!

But... result of last GE.
    But... opinion polls.

elperello wrote: »
    But... result of last GE.
    But... opinion polls.

how many people that vote for those clowns, in fact any of them. Are genuinely happy to vote for them and have confidence in them?

What's with the delay in releasing the latest polls I wonder?

What time were they released on the 16th (this day last week)?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Me?

Gallagher has already missed at least one....
    Also MDH released a schedule at the start of October with all he would be appearing on.

gmisk wrote: »
    Gallagher has already missed at least one....
    Also MDH released a schedule at the start of October with all he would be appearing on.

That's more than he's done for his audited accounts.

He'll release them in November apparently, after this pesky election no doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

What's with the delay in releasing the latest polls I wonder?

What time were they released on the 16th (this day last week)?

Probably not getting the results they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Una Mullally: Peter Casey's views on Travellers are embarrassing

I know it's behind the paywall but reading the comments on the Irish Times FB page are interesting

I don't think Una got the response she wanted

Majority of posts agreeing with Casey

Idbatterim wrote: »
    how many people that vote for those clowns, in fact any of them. Are genuinely happy to vote for them and have confidence in them?

That I don't know.
    However it is worrying if the people are electing Governments they have no confidence in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Anything Crooked Michael says to Peter Casey tonight will get the full treatment from the social media stooges. "The President just put Peter Casey in his place, and people loved it".

Twitter will highlight anything Pro-MDH and and negative for PC.

Peter Casey needs a "You'd be in Jail" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the way the media have portrayed Casey is actually a bit of a joke.

I'm 99% sure that I saw a quote from Casey regarding the 8th Amendment referendum in which he said something along the lines of 'put it this way, I think Ireland did the right thing'. However, the past few days they have portrayed him as being anti abortion by twisting another comment he made, and I can find no trace of the earlier comment I thought I had seen from him.

As well as that, portraying him as a racist for speaking out against welfare spongers and not including the comments he made about Ireland being a 'melting pot' ??? The media couldn't be making it any clearer that Miggeldy is their only man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

That's more than he's done for his audited accounts.

He'll release them in November apparently, after this pesky election no doubt

It beggars belief. A man that has already been caught out lying is asking us to vote for him first and then he promises to come clean. 45 years is too long to be a politician. He is completely out of touch.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah yes either another worried supporter of one of the main party candidates or one of the crusaders for social liberation i.e. supporter of the usual luvvies like travellers, the permanently unemployed (also see travellers), the perennial criminals (also see travellers), bogus asylum seekers and refugees, muslim non conformists, make up your own gender today, etc.

Ehh I will vote no 1 for him and I have a honours degree and masters in engineering.
    And I know quite a few other university degree people who will do likewise.
    Of course maybe if I did a degree in some social studies or gender studies course with subsequent taxpayer funded job I might vote differently. :rolleyes:

Want vinegar for that chip on your shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Who the President is is largely irrelevant. Were Peter Casey to win or come second, going from 1% to 15+% purely on the basis of his anti-scrounged rhetoric, it would send a huge message to all parties ahead of the next general election.

The ordinary working people are sick of picking up the tab for the scroungers. Not the pensioners, not those on disability, the scroungers. There's a significant number of votes in it for any party prepared to address this issue. Given the populist nature of Irish politics, you can be sure someone will

Yes.

Although note that those over 65 do get three tax reliefs that they don't really need.

Also note that many on DA are well able to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Una Mullally: Peter Casey's views on Travellers are embarrassing

I know it's behind the paywall but reading the comments on the Irish Times FB page are interesting

I don't think Una got the response she wanted

Majority of posts agreeing with Casey
    Id have loved to have read those comments but I'm not giving the IT any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,541 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This article is in my local paper. Very lefty lefty guy. I find people are really getting sick of this attitude.
    Good riddance to Peter Casey, Ireland’s Micro-Trump
    Whether he meant to or not, presidential candidate Peter Casey should not be forgiven for the racial hate he stirred up in the bloodpot of human hearts, writes Donal O’Keeffe.
    A retired public servant said to me: “D’you know something, I’d nearly be tempted to vote for yer man Peter Casey. He’s the only one telling the truth about the Travellers.” (He didn’t say 'Travellers'.)
    Last week, presidential candidate Peter Casey denied the ethnicity of Travellers, and claimed Travellers do not play a full part in Irish society. He went to Tipperary to visit a housing development in Thurles into which Travelling people are refusing to move, because they say, the site does not have sufficient grazing for their horses. Casey linked their refusal to the homelessness crisis, despite Travellers being eight times more likely to be homeless than settled people.
    It is astonishing how suddenly some become interested in homelessness when it can be weaponised against other equally vulnerable people. By the way, do you know who never does that? Brother Kevin. Sister Stan. Father Peter. The Simon Community. People with a proven record for caring for homeless people.
    While in Thurles, Casey refused to meet with protesters. He later claimed he hadn’t known Travellers’ ethnicity had been recognised in Irish law, before pretending to suspend his campaign so he could play golf for the weekend.

“I did not know about the ethnic status. There are so many things going on.”

In the Irish Examiner, Elaine Loughlin made the point that Casey’s ignorance of Irish law disqualifies him to be president at least as much as his appalling comments and his temperament do; but I would argue that what Casey has done has repercussions far beyond the presidential campaign.

Just as Donald Trump has emboldened racists, misogynists and homophobes in the United States, Casey has enflamed anti-Traveller sentiments here, and given cover to those who, until now, were afraid to spew their bigotry.

“He’s the only one who’ll stand up to them.” “They get everything for nothing and fair f**ks to Casey for telling it like it is.” “He’s only saying what everyone else is afraid to say.”

All week long, I heard the same sentiment. Casey had become a hero to the sort of people who moan about political correctness, and who say things like “Things have gone too far the other way nowadays”, as though they long for a return to the good old days of institutionalised abuse, marital ban, marital rape, 'gay-bashing', sexual abuse, moving statues, Kerry Babies, the Eighth Amendment, John Charles McQuaid, the 1932 Eucharistic Congress, industrial schools, Magdalene Laundries, and Mother and Baby Homes.

Speaking on Saturday with Cormac Ó hEadhra on RTÉ Radio 1, Travellers’ rights activist Catherine Coffey O’Brien, pointed out that Casey is campaigning for the position of guardian of our Constitution, while making simultaneously comments that enable anti-Traveller sentiment.

“What Peter Casey did was he caused social division. He caused massive damage when it came to the relations between both communities.

“Peter Casey has brought gutter politics into the presidency.”

Travellers experience multiple barriers to the right to adequate education, healthcare and housing. Councils deliberately under-spend Traveller accommodation funding to see it cut the following year, while 12% of Travellers remain ghettoised in dangerously overcrowded sites. Less than 1% of Travellers go on to third level education.

Traveller children have an infant mortality rate four times that of the general population. Life expectancy for a male Traveller is 61.7 years, 15.1 years fewer than other Irishmen. Female Traveller life expectancy is 70.1, 11.5 years lower than for other Irishwomen. Suicide rates are six times that of the wider community, accounting for one in 11 Traveller deaths.

Funding to Traveller services were cut by up to 90% in the recession and, as 'Travelling with Austerity' highlights, the range of cuts to Traveller services were disproportionate to the type of austerity the rest of Irish society faced.

Last week, I found myself thinking again of one of the coincidences of the twentieth century, when one of America’s greatest poets, human rights advocates and political activists found himself renting from a racist landlord, the father of the man who would one day become the 45th President of the United States.

“I suppose Old Man Trump knows just how much racial hate he stirred up in the bloodpot of human hearts when he drawed that colour line here at his eighteen hundred family project,” wrote Woody Guthrie in 1951, when he realised that Fred Trump was actively discriminating against Black tenants. Trump was a profiteer who took Federal funding to build colour-blind housing projects and then denied Black people access.

Two years ago, Will Kaufman, a professor of American literature and culture at the University of Central Lancashire, discovered that in December 1950, Guthrie had signed a lease at Trump’s Beach Haven apartment complex in Brooklyn. Soon, Kaufman says, Guthrie was “lamenting the bigotry that pervaded his new, lily-white neighbourhood.”

Woody Guthrie died in 1967, and in the 1970s, the US Justice Department sued the Trumps, accusing them of discriminating against Black people. When a settlement was eventually reached, Trump Management noted the agreement did not constitute an admission of guilt.

“Woody was always championing those who didn’t have a voice, who didn’t have any money, who didn’t have any power,” Professor Kaufman says. “There’s no doubt that he would have had maximum contempt for Donald Trump, even without the issue of race.”

I think Woody Guthrie would have recognised Peter Casey for what he is: a Micro-Trump who will, minus his deposit, slink back to America with the phrase 'former presidential candidate' on his CV, a man who enabled bigotry in Ireland, just as Fred Trump and his son did in the US.

Good riddance to you, Peter Casey. It will take years, to paraphrase Woody Guthrie, to undo the racial hate you have stirred up in the bloodpot of Irish hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

vonlars wrote: »
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the way the media have portrayed Casey is actually a bit of a joke.

I'm 99% sure that I saw a quote from Casey regarding the 8th Amendment referendum in which he said something along the lines of 'put it this way, I think Ireland did the right thing'. However, the past few days they have portrayed him as being anti abortion by twisting another comment he made, and I can find no trace of the earlier comment I thought I had seen from him.

As well as that, portraying him as a racist for speaking out against welfare spongers and not including the comments he made about Ireland being a 'melting pot' ??? The media couldn't be making it any clearer that Miggeldy is their only man.

I find it fascinating in a way. Propaganda in action.

The Irish Times was once a very well respected publication in this country.

Quote - "This article is in my local paper. Very lefty lefty guy. I find people are really getting sick of this attitude. "

Thanks for sharing that.
    An interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

https://twitter.com/CaseyPeterJ/status/1054271429401890816

So now Peter is angry that there are non-Irish dog breeds in the Aras. First travellers now it's dogs he hates.

It's such a weird American political attack style advert and with the American narrator, you'd wonder just who is behind his campaign at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Want vinegar for that chip on your shoulder?

Oh what a pity comeback. :rolleyes:

Care to argue the points rather than have a personal pop at me?

I notice you didn't bother even replying to my post 3636 which called you out on your statements about how travellers are grossly misrepresented.

Or do you seriously subscribe to theory that hacking the shyte out of each other at family events like weddings and funerals does indeed past for civilised behaviour?

But I guess you will come back with such gems as "travellers (like the fureys) kept traditional Irish music alive".
    This article is in my local paper. Very lefty lefty guy. I find people are really getting sick of this attitude.

A load of unadulterated horseshyte would be the best description, full of references to Trump to try draw inferences.
    With the amount of conclusions that fooker has leaped to, he should be in the Olympics long jump or triple jump.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

https://twitter.com/CaseyPeterJ/status/1054271429401890816

So now Peter is angry that there are non-Irish dog breeds in the Aras. First travellers now it's dogs he hates.

It's such a weird American political attack style advert and with the American narrator, you'd wonder just who is behind his campaign at this stage.

has to be Trump

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement