Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Id have loved to have read those comments but I'm not giving the IT any money.

Reading the comments is free

Just reading the article is behind the paywall

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

This article is in my local paper. Very lefty lefty guy. I find people are really getting sick of this attitude.

Good riddance to Peter Casey, Ireland’s Micro-Trump
    Whether he meant to or not, presidential candidate Peter Casey should not be forgiven for the racial hate he stirred up in the bloodpot of human hearts, writes Donal O’Keeffe.

Donal O'Keeffe is perhaps one of the most insufferable people ever. The majority of his twitter is currently dedicated to discrediting Casey.

A lot of those I follow on Twitter are the 'repeal' gang, and I can't believe how many of them (almost 100%) are horrified by Casey's comments. I tweeted my opinion on it the other day and was lynched. It's incredible to see and I genuinely think it's some sort of mob mentality, ie We all fought together for A therefore we must all fight together for B, when half of them couldn't put together a decent argument behind half the things they stand up for. It's the same on both sides. There's some idea that you have to be either liberal or conservative, you can't have views in the middle and you absolutely CANNOT agree with someone with whom you have disagreed with on a previous issue.

So much for the days of free thinking, never mind free speech :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://twitter.com/CaseyPeterJ/status/1054271429401890816

So now Peter is angry that there are non-Irish dog breeds in the Aras. First travellers now it's dogs he hates.

It's such a weird American political attack style advert and with the American narrator, you'd wonder just who is behind his campaign at this stage.

Those ads are so bad somebody must have hacked him.

He couldn't be that stupid...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Una Mullally: Peter Casey's views on Travellers are embarrassing

I know it's behind the paywall but reading the comments on the Irish Times FB page are interesting

I don't think Una got the response she wanted

Majority of posts agreeing with Casey

This makes me so happy. Have no time for her and her identity politics.

Collette Browne is another one too. Donal O'Keeffe the worst of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Idbatterim wrote: »
    exactly, I cant deal with living in a state that represents one voice only! no change, dont have an opinion unless its the liberal lefts! We might as well be living in China with the censorship and control! That *(£$*(£*$£*$"£ Varadkar is the epitome of whats wrong with this country!

not reporting what you want to hear isn't censorship. there are guidelines in place in terms of radio and tv in relation to impartiality. there is no bann on opinion that deviates from that of main stream media, which is designed to sell a product. there are plenty of options open and availible to read many different opinions on a subject. social media, online forums, bloggers, people can also set up their own news paper if they have the funds and believe there is a demand for their take on matters.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This is the crux of it for most people, this is the true feelings from not just this guy but most in the media at the moment. If you do not agree with them you are labelled with one of the below and your opinion is instantly discounted.

"Just as Donald Trump has emboldened racists, misogynists and homophobes in the United States, Casey has enflamed anti-Traveller sentiments here, and given cover to those who, until now, were afraid to spew their bigotry."

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Well as you're not going to answer I'll tell you, they're there to try and protect land that has  been previously used as an illegal campsite by folk, and try and prevent them from regaining access.

Stating it is not bigotry, bigotry in this instance is the new word to hide behind when awkward truths are pointed out.

We all know that Johnny, we KNOW there are issues.

However somebody using a cheap generalisation that all travellers do that is what we are discussing.
    You seem able to handwave it away because 'accidentally' it happens to let you have a go at travellers too.

A biased and quite sinister ploy on Casey's part here.  It shouldn't be tolerated.
    Then deal with the issues. Thats what people are asking for and sometime soon please.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I just hope no-one tells Peter about German Sheppards or, god forbid, Border Collies. He'll go into nuclear meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,910 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Calhoun wrote: »
    This is the crux of it for most people, this is the true feelings from not just this guy but most in the media at the moment. If you do not agree with them you are labelled with one of the below and your opinion is instantly discounted.

"Just as Donald Trump has emboldened racists, misogynists and homophobes in the United States, Casey has enflamed anti-Traveller sentiments here, and given cover to those who, until now, were afraid to spew their bigotry."

You're free to agree with them or else you're intolerant. I have no issue with traveller customs and traditions, I do take issue with their criminality and the travellers who have assaulted me (literally) in the course of my work and the double standards of "racism" (I've on more than one occasion witnessed traveller's ridicule black people by describing them as "monkeys" and "N*****s").
    Travellers need to get the own house in order.
    I'm all for them having their cultural freedom but that doesn't extend to exemption from the law.

Glazers Out!

So now Peter is angry that there are non-Irish dog breeds in the Aras. First travellers now it's dogs he hates.

It's such a weird American political attack style advert and with the American narrator, you'd wonder just who is behind his campaign at this stage.

I'm looking for a good reason to not vote for MDH but I've yet to find one.

What has Peter Casey got? He doesn't like travelers. Now this video? Embarrassing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Here's his take on immigrants.

He also told RTEs Six One that Ireland was a melting pot with a 120,000 people from Poland and tens of thousands of people from all over Europe.

He said it was wonderful that there was such a diverse community, which represented the future of Ireland.

Yet you still have deluded posters, or possibly sh*t-stirrers, such as AnneFrank comparing him to Joseph Goebbels. Dirty, ignorant tactics.

nullzero wrote: »
    You're free to agree with them or else you're intolerant. I have no issue with traveller customs and traditions, I do take issue with their criminality and the travellers who have assaulted me (literally) in the course of my work and the double standards of "racism" (I've on more than one occasion witnessed traveller's ridicule black people by describing them as "monkeys" and "N*****s").
    I'm all for them having their cultural freedom but that doesn't extend to exemption from the law.

Don't disagree with any of this, but I just don't see what any of it has to do with the Presidential Election.

Casey can't do anything about any of this, and if he really wanted to, he'd stand as TD. It honestly seems to me like he's just trying to appeal to people's anger and cynically exploit it without having any possible solutions or suggestions other than 'I don't like travellers and if you don't, vote for me.'

And now apparently he doesn't like dogs that don't have Irish in their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

vonlars wrote: »
    Donal O'Keeffe is perhaps one of the most insufferable people ever. The majority of his twitter is currently dedicated to discrediting Casey.

A lot of those I follow on Twitter are the 'repeal' gang, and I can't believe how many of them (almost 100%) are horrified by Casey's comments. I tweeted my opinion on it the other day and was lynched. It's incredible to see and I genuinely think it's some sort of mob mentality, ie We all fought together for A therefore we must all fight together for B, when half of them couldn't put together a decent argument behind half the things they stand up for. It's the same on both sides. There's some idea that you have to be either liberal or conservative, you can't have views in the middle and you absolutely CANNOT agree with someone with whom you have disagreed with on a previous issue.

So much for the days of free thinking, never mind free speech :rolleyes:

Ehhh I believed and supported repeal 8th, marriage equality, but I fully support Peter Casey's comments.
    In fact I think they were being mild.

And no that doesn't mean I want to gas anyone or throw anyone in concentration camps, it means I want responsibility, I want an admission that a lot of travellers are career criminals disregarding the laws of the land and I want the end to this entitlement shyteology that has grown hugely in Ireland over past few decades.

And the fact that anyone that questions the situation is now labelled a racist, a bad person, a right winger is infuriating.

Lots of money has been thrown at travellers over the years and even with cuts there is still lots of money given with nothing in return.

FFS houses were built for them in Tipperary, but no that is not good enough they want a mini farm.

Where the fook do these people get this sense of entiltement from and where the fook do the so called "do gooders" get off with telling ordinary decent hardworking taxpayers that they have no right to complain about how this is how their taxes should be wasted.

And in that article above the muppet blamed the lack of travellers in education on society and the fact there aren't more supports for them is bullcr** when teachers can tell you it is travellers themselves who do not want it.

I am not allowed discuss …

Hadn't realised that Michael D Moneybags has already ruled himself out of the final debate. Absolutely pathetic.

He also ruled himself out of a second presidential election so he might just show up anyway!

Sure wasn't it Margaret Cash who said on facebook she was dissapointed that it was foreigners looting lidl at Christmas lol. You also look at the likes of Connors who is hard line pro-choice, which was funny because all the left turned on him during the 8th and he called them all racists.

What i find funny about O'Keefe and his ilk is that they don't really have any respect for the democratic process unless it suits their agenda. Like right now they are currently trying to dismantle the 04 referendum on children born in Ireland to foreign parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Casey now into 33/1 to win. Still at 4/1 for second to mdh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

That's pretty bloody poor to be honest. Was there really nothing else?

FWIW I've no problems with Miggeldy getting his dogs groomed regularly, they are part of the household and as such should be representative, would look a lot worse if the dogs were flea ridden and mangy and there was hair all over the gaff.

Having said that 10.000 does seems more than a little excessive, we usually pay about 50 for dogs of similar size and coat.

I see a lot of backwards wheels spinning, yet no apology.

And still thanked by the usual type because it goes against their narrative. That's extra pathetic.

wexie wrote: »
    That's pretty bloody poor to be honest. Was there really nothing else?

FWIW I've no problems with Miggeldy getting his dogs groomed regularly, they are part of the household and as such should be representative, would look a lot worse if the dogs were flea ridden and mangy and there was hair all over the gaff.

Having said that 10.000 does seems more than a little excessive, we usually pay about 50 for dogs of similar size and coat.

Stuff like this stands on its own and originally was why i was supporting MHD. However the media has been trying their hardest to force a member to quit and we even have the leader of the country trying to exert influence in a democratic process.

When i compare the two i have to ask which is the lesser evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

jmayo wrote: »
    Oh what a pity comeback. :rolleyes:

Care to argue the points rather than have a personal pop at me?

I notice you didn't bother even replying to my post 3636 which called you out on your statements about how travellers are grossly misrepresented.

Or do you seriously subscribe to theory that hacking the shyte out of each other at family events like weddings and funerals does indeed past for civilised behaviour?

But I guess you will come back with such gems as "travellers (like the fureys) kept traditional Irish music alive".

A load of unadulterated horseshyte would be the best description, full of references to Trump to try draw inferences.
    With the amount of conclusions that fooker has leaped to, he should be in the Olympics long jump or triple jump.

Your post was a rant. A rant against those who do not share your bigotry.
    They're all wrong except me Ma - poor me. The lefty, arty types are ruining everything with their talk of treating all human beings with dignity and telling me I shouldn't spew bile at those I don't like - poor me.

Did Casey say we should all be treated equally??? Doesn't that include keeping a civil tongue in your head when talking about other human beings? Or don't Travellers count as fellow human beings?

Was there one thing on your list that non-Travellers are not guilty of?
    No.

When, however, such terminology is used to describe all members of a particular group - discriminating without discriminating as it were - then history shows us where that can lead.
    But perhaps History is too much of a social science for you given you seem to have an issue with the Arts and Humanities as fields of study.

As for your pop about the Fureys - that was in response to a specific question.
    Many, world renowned, traditional Irish musicians are Travellers.

• Advertisement

First travellers now it's dogs he hates.

He said that Travellers are no different to the rest of us, that they should be treated the same. How's that hate? Go on. Yeah, it's not. It's literally a call for equality.

PiercingSmoothApe-small.gif

°°°°°

Don't disagree with any of this, but I just don't see what any of it has to do with the Presidential Election.

Casey can't do anything about any of this, and if he really wanted to, he'd stand as TD. It honestly seems to me like he's just trying to appeal to people's anger and cynically exploit it without having any possible solutions or suggestions other than 'I don't like travellers and if you don't, vote for me.'

To be honest this thread has more to do with travellers and their position in Irish society than the election of lame duck figure head president.
    If people are voting for somebody because of their perceived intolerance perhaps staying away from the ballot would be better.
    This election hasn't engaged me in any way, and the Casey controversy in my mind is more of a side show.
    What it has demonstrated is that in Ireland 2018 having any sort of opinion that strays from the new politically correct norm is suicide by public opinion. Casey's remarks weren't particularly terrible in isolation, travellers are Irish and aren't distinct from the rest of us racially and we're a part of the settled community until supposedly Cromwells time which isn't a huge amount of time ago.
    I have had numerous altercations with travellers and have been the victim of assault by them and have stood ground against them and to me anything that further removes them from greater Irish society only serves to increase the divisions between travellers and the rest of us.
    The longer we see each other in terms of separate entities there will never be a workable relationship between the two groupings.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Please show where Peter Casey said he didn't like travellers?

Agree on the dog bit though, no need to stop to that level of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehhh I believed and supported repeal 8th, marriage equality, but I fully support Peter Casey's comments.
    In fact I think they were being mild.

And no that doesn't mean I want to gas anyone or throw anyone in concentration camps, it means I want responsibility, I want an admission that a lot of travellers are career criminals disregarding the laws of the land and I want the end to this entitlement shyteology that has grown hugely in Ireland over past few decades.

And the fact that anyone that questions the situation is now labelled a racist, a bad person, a right winger is infuriating.

Lots of money has been thrown at travellers over the years and even with cuts there is still lots of money given with nothing in return.

FFS houses were built for them in Tipperary, but no that is not good enough they want a mini farm.

Where the fook do these people get this sense of entiltement from and where the fook do the so called "do gooders" get off with telling ordinary decent hardworking taxpayers that they have no right to complain about how this is how their taxes should be wasted.

And in that article above the muppet blamed the lack of travellers in education on society and the fact there aren't more supports for them is bullcr** when teachers can tell you it is travellers themselves who do not want it.

I'm completely with you on all of that. I voted for repeal and marriage equality too and also believe Casey is being mild.

The thing is people such as McGuirk and Mills have come out in favour of Casey. And as such, the Donal O'Keeffe et al brigade are coming out with the 'because McGuirk agrees with it, we have to disagree with it' argument.

It's just something that has annoyed me a lot over the last few days. People not being able to stand up for themselves and back up their viewpoint with any argument stronger than that they dislike the people who have come out in favour of Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

But but but where's Francie gone ...

But but but where's Francie gone ...

Sabina probably called him in for a bit of How's your President.

What it has demonstrated is that in Ireland 2018 having any sort of opinion that strays from the new politically correct norm is suicide by public opinion. Casey's r

Can't agree with that at all. Peter Casey wasn't even remotely in the Presidential race until that stage, he was the third bloke from Dragon's Den and in terms of the race was at the absolute bottom with no-one even talking about him.

That's changed entirely now and while I don't think he stands a chance of being elected, I'd put money on him finishing third and getting a hell of a lot more in terms of votes than the 2% he was polling.

°°°°°

Can't agree with that at all. Peter Casey wasn't even remotely in the Presidential race until that stage, he was the third bloke from Dragon's Den and in terms of the race was at the absolute bottom with no-one even talking about him.

That's changed entirely now and while I don't think he stands a chance of being elected, I'd put money on him finishing third and getting a hell of a lot more in terms of votes than the 2% he was polling.

Does he get to be second reserve president? Maybe he'll get a run out if Michael D does his hamstring.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

This idea trying to be pushed by some of Casey being a kind of 'plucky underdog' doesn't really cut it on here does it? With the poll saying he'll receive more votes than all of the other candidates combined, and 90% of the posts on here desperately shilling for him and outraged when there are any negative stories about him, it's a bit of a stretch.

Nobody has to attack Peter Casey, he's doing a grand job at taking himself down. People simply have to quote the man and point out the ridiculous uneducated nature of his statements.

A lot of these statements have been spammed across Irish forums in the past few months. Usually by anti-Irish posters, clueless about Irish culture, Irish people, Irish history and Irish politics.

We've never had a candidate attack so many Irish people before. The end result, is that Peter Casey is the most anti-Irish presidential candidate we've had in the history of the state. Whoever is currently whispering in his hear, is slowly pushing him to the edge of the cliff at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

KevIRL wrote: »
    Casey now into 33/1 to win. Still at 4/1 for second to mdh.

Got in for 2nd when it was 16/1.

All of the online polls I've seen show him doing very well and the bookies odds have shifted from expecting him to come last to 4th.

I still think he'll come second.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement