Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jaysus😦

Looks like a florist, 'attached’ to the Árus got a jolly to Oz!

Paid for by John Q Taxpayer.

Can this be true ……… what was her role… how was she described on the list of traveling officials.

Very disturbing, in my opinion.

If this is the big reveal tonight to try to bring down MDH, then he has it in the bag.

Much ado about nothing. I think although the florist, she was listed on the trip as assistant to Mrs Higgins...nothing much to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McCullagh moderating tonight’s Pres Debate

Wonder if the lad is up to it , hasn’t exactly lit things up on Prime Time.

Lot of eyebrow raising will be the order of the day, I would presume, mixed with a wooden presentation style.

Hope it goes well though.

gmisk wrote: »
    Do you have a link please?

I’ll try to find one, just on Drivetime a few minutes ago, mate.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3290012/michael-d-higgins-australia-visit-floral-arranger/

And away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

JMNolan wrote: »
    PARK LIFE Questions surround President Michael D Higgins’ State visit to Australia in 2017 as it emerges his ‘gifted floral arranger’ flew to Oz with official delegation

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3290012/michael-d-higgins-australia-visit-floral-arranger/

Thats hilarious so much for all the BS in this thread about qualifications for the job, seems to me its a nice little retirement home for politicians at the end of their career looking for a nice few perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Nothing on the six one, is there an election?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,835 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

NIMAN wrote: »
    If this is the big reveal tonight to try to bring down MDH, then he has it in the bag.

Much ado about nothing. I think although the florist, she was listed on the trip as assistant to Mrs Higgins...nothing much to see here.

Jaysus, could the Sun have gotten any more mentions of 'flower arranger' into that article?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Casey attacked the official ethnic status

Attacked? Come on now. Questioned it. Criticised it maybe. Disagreed with it. Sure we're all allowed to have opinions are we not? Many question, criticise and disagree with it. Not like we had a chance to take a democratic vote on it and express ourselves at the polls anyway.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Attacked? Come on now. Questioned it. Criticised it maybe. Disagreed with it. Sure we're all allowed to have opinions are we not? Many question, criticise and disagree with it. Not like we had a chance to take a democratic vote on it and express ourselves at the polls anyway.

He undermined it. That is an attack on it by my book.

Casey was simply wrong on the equality angle.

Had he said that they had too many entitlements or that there were issues with some of them that were being ignored by government. No problem.
    But to generalise as a public rep the way he did was inexcusable. We have had too much of this on this island and Casey, as a northern Catholic should be aware of that, which leads me to believe it was a premeditated incitement to hatred.

Your not allowed question the sacred cow of the day, you know how us Irish love putting things on pedestals.

Worked well for the Catholic Church what could go wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Nothing on the six one, is there an election?

We must have missed the memo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah nothing there really, really scrapping the barrel to find dirt on Michael D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Calhoun wrote: »
    Well thats what we all should agree but you know how they are, they are using the ethnic status to push for additional rights.

A tactic seen in other jurisdictions,
    its not just enough to be equal but because poor me the victim they need that extra leg up rights.

In this case it just so happens they want to be able to treat animals like **** legally and they want to be able to rock up to any land and not be moved on.

So yah ethnic status on its own means nothing but if you expect me to believe that the same people who came out and said that they are now fearful to live in Ireland because they were called on their BS would not use this to their advantage your having a laugh.

With Casey we draw the line in the sand and say that in a republic this isn't good enough. Don't mind those trying to convince you that it means nothing as they aren't that honest as seen in this thread.

Could you elaborate on this please? What additional rights are they looking for and what other jurisdictions have had similar experiences? Thanks

Wouldn’t think so NI, I’d like to know exactly what her role was, was she on any other trips, what did she actually do whilst in OZ and NZ.

The key would be was she on any of the other long haul trips?

As a lad who was ponying up the expenses I would like to get a good bit more clarity on this, would you not, or would you rather be told to ‘jog on’ nothing to see here.

Uhmmmm...interesting......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thats hilarious so much for all the BS in this thread about qualifications for the job, seems to me its a nice little retirement home for politicians at the end of their career looking for a nice few perks.

Sad really. He's beginning to appear like a little Louis XIV.

Wouldn’t think so NI, I’d like to know exactly what her role was, was she on any other trips, what did she actually do whilst in OZ and NZ.

Which part of 'assistant to Sabina Higgins' is causing a problem?

I doubt you'll get much more of an answer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He undermined it. That is an attack on it by my book.

Casey was simply wrong on the equality angle.

Had he said that they had too many entitlements or that there were issues with some of them that were being ignored by government. No problem.
    But to generalise as a public rep the way he did was inexcusable. We have had too much of this on this island and Casey, as a northern Catholic should be aware of that, which leads me to believe it was a premeditated incitement to hatred.

Still banging the drum I see.
    Casey won't be President but he did succeed in highlighting the issue that not one other politician had the balls to highlight. Fair play to him. He has the nation talking about entitlement and criminality. For that he has succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Sabina probably called him in for a bit of How's your President.

I thought the first lady’s sex life was not allowed to be discussed during the presidential race. Even Google have amended the suggested search terms, with affairs no longer appearing allegedly.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Still banging the drum I see.
    Casey won't be President but he did succeed in highlighting the issue that not one other politician had the balls to highlight. Fair play to him. He has the nation talking about entitlement and criminality. For that he has succeeded.

Casey knows what he did, because of the fickleness of the particular mob that has gotten behind him (those who believe in the same generalisations) he couldn't retract becaus he would be gone.
    Instead he tried to have it both ways, claim vociferously that he didn't want to be elected on the basis of what he said (how fooking inane and cowardly is that?) but that he still believed what he said.

Anyone who wants this guy to be president or who gets in the Pied Piper style mob behind him is going to look very stupid.

Personally I am hoping it is tonight, but if not tonight it is inevitable.

Could you elaborate on this please? What additional rights are they looking for and what other jurisdictions have had similar experiences? Thanks

The are looking for rights around animal welfare and tresspassing laws to be changed for them.

Didn't mean travellers in other jurisdictions but minority groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

Unqualified?? The only qualifications you need are 1) be an Irish citizen and 2) be over 35. He qualifies on both counts.

er...no.
    You kind of need to have an understanding of constitutional law. If not, you may as well make the atorny general the President

• Advertisement

The are looking for rights around animal welfare and tresspassing laws to be changed for them.

Any group can look for rights. It is whether they get over and above other citizens is the point. They are not 'more equal' than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

jmayo wrote: »
    Well whilst I am disinclined from responding to you, especially so when I see the first person to thank your post is someone whom I have on ignore for quite a while now, I will try one last time.

I bare no responsibility for - or interest in - who does or does not thank my posts. Your decision to respond is your own.
    You see once again you jump to shouting BIGOT, and accuse others of spewing bile.

Disliking people because they are members of a particular minority group is the very definition of being a bigot.
    Are you denying bile has been spewed on this thread?
    If so I would worry considering some of the things that have been posted here you find acceptable.

Can you argue all of those statements do not in anyway apply to a huge number of travellers?

Good luck convincing people that uneducated does not apply when the stats back up the fact most travellers leave school before age of 15 or 16.

Good luck trying to convince people that travellers are civilised when you see bare knuckle boxing and faction fights being used to settle inter family feuds or close to riots and murders at events such as weddings and funerals.

And it isn't some isolated events, there is a huge reason why venues do not want to host traveller events.

Most of our grandparents left school before the age of 15 - indeed a lot of them never had any secondary education at all. You must think little of them so...

Lads pucking the ****e out each other - with a crowd around them baying - well l I never. We must have a enormous Traveller population in that case as that kind of thing can be seen in many urban centers on a Saturday night.

Actually, tbh, if two grown consenting adults want to puck the crap out of each other I think that's their own business. If they did it in a cage they could earn millions and people would be mad pay-per-viewing it.
    Of course to you they are bigots and racist just because they don't want their establishment wrecked and someone possibly severely injured.
    Cos hen parties and stag do are models of polite decorum.

BTW here are some numbers for you, they appear to have only 2,000 employed out of a census population of 30,000.
    There are probably more than 30,000 because they are not the best or most reliable at filling out census forms.
    Now those unemployed stats would point to a few things and one would be more than a little surprised that for some folks with such high unemployment levels they have such a range of new vehicles and can spend such amounts on family events.

That bit in italics is pure supposition so can be safely ignored.
    'Appear to be' so you actually have no idea... again,Supposition.

I wonder if it could be Travellers have difficulty securing employment... gee. Do you think the bigotry we have seen on display here might carry over into employers and result in Travellers being refused jobs because they are Travellers???

Surely not. :eek:

There are Arts and Humanities and then there are bullshyte.
    Well there are engineers and there are roundabout designers. Each to their skill set eh.
    BTW I have always had a very keen interest in history and thus know the difference between a real fascist and what you would term one i.e. someone like me that hasn't bent over backwards for every minority group that claims we owe them this that and the other.

Who mentioned fascists?
    But as it happens you don't get to define who history deems as fascist (keen interest notwithstanding). Historians get to do that.
    Step one : do they make statements that would be considered right-wing.
    Step two : do they rant about minorities making claims but gloss over any discrimination.
    And yes there have been some renowned traveller musicians, but you leapt to one mighty conclusion in your claims.

Not according to the traditional Irish musicians I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Proof?

Any new opinion polls released today lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Casey knows what he did, because of the fickleness of the particular mob that has gotten behind him (those who believe in the same generalisations) he couldn't retract becaus he would be gone.
    Instead he tried to have it both ways, claim vociferously that he didn't want to be elected on the basis of what he said (how fooking inane and cowardly is that?) but that he still believed what he said.

Anyone who wants this guy to be president or who gets in the Pied Piper style mob behind him is going to look very stupid.

Personally I am hoping it is tonight, but if not tonight it is inevitable.

You are fond of grneralisations and downright inaccuracies yourself. The “mob” that have gotten behold him have been energized by hearing someone in the public eye telling the truth. Do you really think all the other candidates would be delighted to have a halting site built beside their home? Gavin Duffy?

He objected to being labeled a racist for stating that people should be treated equally. The media double speak is incredible. He objects to a Taoiseach of a minority government and leader of a party who didn’t provide an alternative candidate, telling the electorate who to vote for and not vote for.

You never answered the question as to why you are so invested in the presidential race and who you are supporting?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Any group can look for rights. It is whether they get over and above other citizens is the point. They are not 'more equal' than you.

So if the Travellers get their stables and grazing land are they not being favoured over others?
    You can't have it both ways.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You are fond of grneralisations and downright inaccuracies yourself. The “mob” that have gotten behold him have been energized by hearing someone in the public eye telling the truth. Do you really think all the other candidates would be delighted to have a halting site built beside their home? Gavin Duffy?

He objected to being labeled a racist for stating that people should be treated equally. The media double speak is incredible. He objects to a Taoiseach of a minority government and leader of a party who didn’t provide an alternative candidate, telling the electorate who to vote for and not vote for.

You never answered the question as to why you are so invested in the presidential race and who you are supporting?

He DIDN'T speak the truth. We are all equal, if we aren't tell us what extra RIGHTS travellers have.

Yes, travellers have entitlements some others don't have, but then older people have extra entitlements that I don't have, special needs people have entitlements I don't have as do disabled people, as do people with medical cards etc etc etc.

Jesus, would some of you people look at the difference between a right and an entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Why should we fund the travellers chosen lifestyle? If they choose to lead that life, best of luck to them. But I shouldn't have to pay for it

So if the Travellers get their stables and grazing land are they not being favoured over others?
    You can't have it both ways.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: People get stuff all the time that others don't get.

And I thought the news de jour was that they aren't getting the stables and land.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes::rolleyes: People get stuff all the time that others don't get.

And I thought the news de jour was that they aren't getting the stables and land.

Well thank Casey for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement