Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Joan Freeman just go home and stop wasting everybody's time.

Taking a salary the guts of 100,000 from a charity.. such a vocation.

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is ridiculous, it assumes that Michael D. Higgins can't lie. He is human and a politician, that means he is a practiced liar.

Just because he said it was security concerns doesn't mean he was automatically telling him the truth. It is amazing the way that Higgins supporters fawn over his words and treat him as someone more special than a not-very-good politician.

So, you are saying he is a liar?
    Do you have any proof of his lies? What has he lied about?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I don't think that example proves they are receiving special treatment as a result of being an ethnic minority

I don't believe that any other group could get away with refusing houses because they didn't have stables. I'm not saying that the traveller group in Tipperary got their way (time will tell), but the fact that they would request this is emboldened by their ethnic status. They will use their culture and status as a bargaining tool. We will see many more examples of this type of thing in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Michael D, winning easy just by saying & doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

RTE letting them all talk, joan, gavin, sean, watch him now...... dont like pikeys do you peter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Joan : irrelevant
    Liadh: thinks she's important but a joke
    Michael D: if he was a foot taller and 20 years younger he'd be getting slaughtered
    Gallagher: arrogant FFer, irrelevant but penny hasn't dropped yet
    Casey: doesn't give a bollox
    Duffy: a bollox

That's all folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

hawkwing wrote: »
    I'd say you would eat a traveller's sh1t:confused:

This is the type of person Casey incited. ^
    I hope this post is left here as a testament to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Gavin Duffy...weak.

Michael D. didn’t show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I'm not saying that the traveller group in Tipperary got their way (time will tell), but the fact that they would request this is emboldened by their ethnic status.

Being Doctor Who again. Their claim is they had a long-standing agreement with Tipp council for some sort of facilities for their horses. How's that anything to do with their being "emboldened" by much more recent recognition as an ethnic group?

If anything, it sounds a lot more like TCC being "emboldened" by an appeal to nasty populist anti-Traveller outrage to renege on that agreement. (If what's reported as being agreed is accurate.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

bubblypop wrote: »
    So, you are saying he is a liar?
    Do you have any proof of his lies? What has he lied about?

How dare anyone suggest he's lying.

Security issue
    Liaison with PSNI

Called out very publicly on both these claims.....

Tonight it turns out it was to save time.

You know if he had of just said something along the lines of " my travel arrangements are taken care off by my security team, and I have little to no influence in that" there'd not have been a whisper since, right?

• Advertisement

This is the type of person Casey incited. ^
    I hope this post is left here as a testament to him.

He was only playing you at your own game. And you know it

I don't believe that any other group could get away with refusing houses because they didn't have stables. I'm not saying that the traveller group in Tipperary got their way (time will tell), but the fact that they would request this is emboldened by their ethnic status. They will use their culture and status as a bargaining tool. We will see many more examples of this type of thing in time.

You have made that connection that they are demanding this because of their ethnic minority status. Is there any proof that being an ethnic minority in Ireland makes you more equal than others.

I think you’ll find I predicted it back around 1730.

Regrettably seems I was correct.

The predictable part here is Bren marking his own homework, as per.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Being Doctor Who again. Their claim is they had a long-standing agreement with Tipp council for some sort of facilities for their horses. How's that anything to do with their being "emboldened" by much more recent recognition as an ethnic group?

If anything, it sounds a lot more like TCC being "emboldened" by an appeal to nasty populist anti-Traveller outrage to renege on that agreement. (If what's reported as being agreed is accurate.)

I couldn't care less about what they claim. They refused free houses because they were not give stables. Gees. Can't see the wood for the trees!

Security issue
    Liaison with PSNI

You know if he had of just said something along the lines of " my travel arrangements are taken care off by my security team, and I have little to no influence in that" there'd not have been a whisper since, right?

True.
    That's probably what he should have said!

He was only playing you at your own game. And you know it

With respect, I have debated the issues here robustly, but with some decency I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,540 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Security issue
    Liaison with PSNI

Certain people are Michael D fans and they'll always defend him in my experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Just goes to show these people throw 'isms' around like confetti

Casey: Travellers should be treated equally, the same as everyone else
    The Panel: Racist
    Casey: I will set up a panel of all young women and my wife to advise me in different areas e.g. disability
    Panel: Tumbleweed rolls by

Bahaha Vote Casey No.1 !!

Lackey wrote: »
    Just goes to show these people throw 'isms' around like confetti

Casey: Travellers should be treated equally, the same as everyone else
    The Panel: Racist
    Casey: I will set up a panel of all young women and my wife to advise me in different areas e.g. disability
    Panel: Tumbleweed rolls by

Bahaha Vote Casey No.1 !!

The man's a clown, but i got 50c @ 500/1 so VOTE CASEY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Joan Freeman just go home and stop wasting everybody's time.

Taking a salary the guts of 100,000 from a charity.. such a vocation.

I'm no Joan Freenman fan, I know nothing of her but I see no issue with the CEO (or equivalent role) of a charity earning €100k.

That's what a decent CEO will cost. Granted you could get the role filled for €30k/yr, or on a voluntary basis, but you won't attract the the calibre of candidate with the education, experience and expertise necessary to manage and direct a large organisation to its potential.

According to wiki, Freeman has a masters in psychology, founded and grew Pieta House and presumably has considerable experience. €100k seems a fair salary for that calibre of qualification and experience

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    While I agree somewhat with his comments regarding the traveller community, I find his video regarding MDH dogs to be extremely embarrassing, can't take him seriously after seeing that. Honestly who came up with that, green lit it, produced it and then said yeah, that's good!

Traditionally, people who "agree somewhat" with comments disparaging Travellers elect some local councillor or TD that has the small bit of brains needed to parlay them into some sort of semi-deniable "not in my back yard" protestations about them.

To vote for someone spouting crass vacuities on topic, running for a position not able to do anything about it, would be illogical even on its own nasty little terms. Which could almost be subtitle for this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I couldn't care less about what they claim. They refused free houses because they were not give stables. Gees. Can't see the wood for the trees!

All the negative comments started pilling on because of the entitlement over the site in Tipp not before. If you think about it up until the referendum on the 8th there was a very pro Traveller push in the media ect.

Folk are now changing the narrative because it suits them, as it makes it easier to paint those they disagree with in a negative light .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'm no Joan Freenman fan, I know nothing of her but I see no issue with the CEO (or equivalent role) of a charity earning €100k.

That's what a decent CEO will cost. Granted you could get the role filled for €30k/yr, or on a voluntary basis, but you won't attract the the calibre of candidate with the education, experience and expertise necessary to manage and direct a large organisation to its potential.

According to wiki, Freeman has a masters in psychology, founded and grew Pieta House and presumably has considerable experience. €100k seems a fair salary for that calibre of qualification and experience

The HSE is full of wastes of space on 100k who should be doing a lot of the work left to charities to do.

Calhoun wrote: »
    All the negative comments started pilling on because of the entitlement over the site in Tipp not before. If you think about it up until the referendum on the 8th there was a very pro Traveller push in the media ect.

Folk are now changing the narrative because it suits them, as it makes it easier to paint those they disagree with in a negative light .

Lads, the issue is dead. Peter got found out, When challenged, as predicted, he couldn't defend his position. When he started blabbering about 'benefits' he got rightly ridiculed for talking ****e.

You have made that connection that they are demanding this because of their ethnic minority status. Is there any proof that being an ethnic minority in Ireland makes you more equal than others.

Proof? Let's not deal in such absolutes here. Terms like ethnic minority are all about semantics. And that means subtle power. I heard Martin Collins of Pavee Point refer to Casey as a racist the other night on the news. Not prejudiced or intolerant, but racist. I think any Nigerians watching this must have had a good laugh at some Irish white man say that another Irish white man was racist toward his group. That's the kind of claim you can make with ethnic minority status I would say.

So if councils refuse the wishes of travellers and fear being branded a racist as a result, for example, then their minority status is very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

alaimacerc wrote: »
    The predictable part here is Bren marking his own homework, as per.

Attack the post, not the poster.

Where did I see that written down, I wonder……………

(Was I wrong,but :D)

Lads, the issue is dead. Peter got found out, When challenged, as predicted, he couldn't defend his position. When he started blabbering about 'benefits' he got rightly ridiculed for talking ****e.

You still dont get it, he isnt a great orator like tony blair, he isnt an opportunist like donald trump, he is a bumbling fool who simply said what every normal person thinks, then he got dragged across the coals by the media and politicians

eeepaulo wrote: »
    You still dont get it, he isnt a great orator like tony blair, he isnt an opportunist like donald trump, he is a bumbling fool who simply said what every normal person thinks, then he got dragged across the coals by the media and politicians

Because he was wrong. Full stop. And normal people are smart enough to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I think this miscalculation here is that these "Dragon's" are wealthy. Casey is relatively wealthy, the other two are not and not sure they ever have been.

Open to correction.

• Advertisement

Because he was wrong. Full stop. And normal people are smart enough to see that.

Marvelous, debate over, francie has said wrong. Full stop. Sounds like the media.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement