Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Twice in one month and criticized by the parties currently cheer leading for Michael D. Total hypocrisy.

Is there a limit for using the jet?
    If Mc Aleese used it, why shouldn't Michael D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Brian Cowen loved his pints. Don't remember the country doing that great on his watch though.

Cowen loved his pints but you wouldn't like to go drinking with him. There's a difference! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68,827 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

the_syco wrote: »
    The homes the homeless get aren't great, in fairness. They're certainly not multi-million euro custom built homes.

As I predicted in one of my scenarios last night, if Casey attempted to stand over what he said he would get hammered. He got slaughtered by McCullagh who boxed him into saying something that he shouldn't have. That 'SEMS brought extra benefits for travellers', he didn't even get finishing the sentence as the entire panel finished his facile, exploitative publicity stunt off. He took you for fools and if you are still backing his redundant remarks well...:rolleyes:

Twice, within a couple of days according to this. But, it was a different Northern Ireland back then.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/mary-mcaleese-spends-29k-on-jet-trip-to-northern-ireland-28573836.html

How was it different?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

bubblypop wrote: »

Did you read the article :confused:

Fine Gael's Brian Hayes said public figures need to lead by example.

"I think, in the first instance, all public office holders including the President must ensure that value for money is obtained in their travel arrangements," said Mr Hayes, who is the party's spokesman on public expenditure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

As I predicted in one of my scenarios last night, if Casey attempted to stand over what he said he would get hammered. He got slaughtered by McCullagh who boxed him into saying something that he shouldn't have. That 'SEMS brought extra benefits for travellers', he didn't even get finishing the sentence as the entire panel finished his facile, exploitative publicity stunt off. He took you for fools and if you are still backing his redundant remarks well...:rolleyes:

On to the list you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 WillContribute

He doesn't decide his security detail nor his travel arrangements

Ok, see no evil hear no evil, speak no evil, and if I travel by LearJet, stay in 3K hotels, that's someone else's decision? Did anyone ask how he enjoyed his flight? Or did he enjoy the hotel? The difference between a 50 and 200 Euro hotel is amazing, I can only imagine what a 3K one would be like.

As I said, it's not the route taken but the denial afterwards. The PSNI have made it very clear that it was inconceivable, that a head of state would not be fully protected, if asked. But it was never asked....

But the lack of PSNI security support, was stated by our president as the explicit reason at the Virgin debate. Why were the PSNI all over it? He made them as fools, incompetants, to serve his excuse. Is this presidential? This is disqualification.

Some of the others are idealists, some bubbling and some lost, but hopefully not as blatantly manipulative.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As I posted in the TV debate thread in the last ad break ...

- the two ladies are desperately trying to seem relevant and failing

- MDH has problems with being questioned

- Gallagher and Duffy are spoofers

- Casey is unrehearsed and unpolished... But he's defending himself well against constant attacks (from the other candidates and the host) and not getting dragged into the squabbling, and all the better for it

... Having watched it all, Casey was the big winner tonight, highlighted even more by the antics of the others towards him (the RTE host being the worst in that regard).

MDH was badly exposed tonight. Out of touch, arrogant and evasive of any details. Will lose votes as a result of tonight's performance.

Gallagher imploded again, and the 2 ladies and Duffy tried (and failed) way too hard to get noticed.

Stop playing Casey as a victim. They were ALL attacked for longer than Casey was. And they all lasted longer on their feet than Casey. The 'traveller' stuff was done and dusted in 5 minutes. You can't spin it, it's there on video.

I have to break this to you, but mccullagh was only regurgitating what the people in the hire echelons of Montrose were telling him to repeat over that wee earpiece you may have seen in his ear Francie.

He was shyte in his moderation of the debate.

Utter shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ok, see no evil hear no evil, speak no evil, and if I travel by LearJet, stay in 3K hotels, that's someone else's decision? Did anyone ask how he enjoyed his flight? Or did he enjoy the hotel? The difference between a 50 and 200 Euro hotel is amazing, I can only imagine what a 3K one would be like.

As I said, it's not the route taken but the denial afterwards. The PSNI have made it very clear that it was inconceivable, that a head of state would not be fully protected, if asked. But it was never asked....

But the lack of PSNI security support, was stated by our president as the explicit reason at the Virgin debate. Why were the PSNI all over it? He made them as fools, incompetants, to serve his excuse. Is this presidential? This is disqualification.

Some of the others are idealists, some bubbling and some lost, but hopefully not as blatantly manipulative.

MDH is a career politician who has been living off the public for decades now. From his comments and attitude tonight he feels clearly entitled to these "perks", and shouldn't have to answer to anyone about it.

It's obvious he's very put out that his statements aren't being taken as gospel. Probably also sore that he didn't just get to walk back into his retirement plan unopposed as well.

The only real difference with him and others we've seen come and go, is he's more eloquent than most...but flowery language doesn't hide the truth I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 WillContribute

PS.

Just in case, it wasn't clear, this statement from MDH was as head of state. Not as one if the other candidates, Freeman, Casey, Ni Riada, Gallagher, Duffy are hopefuls. make mistakes, He claims to know better and should know the implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

My point is that the very politicians who were critical of Mc Aleeses use of the het are now either silent or defending Michael D for the exact same thing. It’s hypocrisy. Which is all we can expect from the elites in this country.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

It's been a mixed few months for Limerick hurler Peter Casey. The joy of winning an All-Ireland has been cancelled out by the embarrassment of having to share a name with a shameless racist piece of ****.

I have to break this to you, but mccullagh was only regurgitating what the people in the hire echelons of Montrose were telling him to repeat over that wee earpiece you may have seen in his ear Francie.

Utter shyte.

Best of any of the mods so far in my opinion. I like the way he won't let anyone of them shirk the actual question he asked. He pinned them all back on that, including MDH.
    Don't know where you are getting the 'utter shyte' from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Stop playing Casey as a victim. They were ALL attacked for longer than Casey was. And they all lasted longer on their feet than Casey. The 'traveller' stuff was done and dusted in 5 minutes. You can't spin it, it's there on video.

Casey is no victim
    He came out on top in this debate again
    He just did a great job of letting the rest squabble among themselves, he just sat back and smiled,

The PSNI did not make any official statement about this. Not would I expect them to. The same as I wouldn't expect AGS to make any official statement about the security for the president.
    PSNI sources may have said something, but nothing official.
    It is really not the business of citizens to know about the security arrangements for the president

Stop with the MDH evangelising Francie. No one is buying.

- Casey was attacked pretty much constantly by the host in particular but the rest of the candidates as well

- He refused to get into the petty squabbling that the others did to try and get their "soundbite moment"

- The one thing Casey can't be accused of is spinning. If he was, he'd be a lot more polished than he is in his answers and he wouldn't be exposing himself to attack with the comments he's made

As I said last night Francie, it's obvious Casey will never win you over and that's fine.. Your not his audience anyway.

But the constant MDH fanboying while attacking everyone else is frankly getting tiresome and desperate at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Fair fcuks to Casey for not backing down to RTE's ambush.
    He stood his corner and put them in their place.

He won't win the election but will get a sizeable vote from middle Ireland and those who detest crime.

I hope he does more than that, love him to win

My point is that the very politicians who were critical of Mc Aleeses use of the het are now either silent or defending Michael D for the exact same thing. It’s hypocrisy. Which is all we can expect from the elites in this country.

Well, as an ordinary citizen, I couldn't care less how they use the jet, any of them.
    So long as it is state business.
    What's the point in having it if it's not used?

goat2 wrote: »
    Casey is no victim
    He came out on top in this debate again
    He just did a great job of letting the rest squabble among themselves, he just sat back and smiled,

When his single issue campaign stuttered out on the word 'benefits'? :rolleyes: It was classic man adrift in a sea of his own bull**** to be honest.
    Yeh, he smiled a lot, because he had nothing much to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Utter shyte.
    McCullough was exceptionally poor, but that not withstanding Casey didn't do well either. He may well be a plain speaker but he is a poor public speaker and struggles to get a point across coherently in the heat of battle.

As for who won the debate, if say it was between Duffy and MDH, although MDH didn't like being questioned on the perks of the office one bit. You get the impression that he feels entitled to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

And they have to shoplift from pennys as well.

Casey's vote will send a message - scroungers of all types are no longer welcome. Those who make an effort and require social welfare, are very welcome.

If you have thoughts about the social welfare system, we have these quaint little things called Dáil elections. You should investigate the concept, if you're unfamiliar.

"Sending a message" sounds like an odd displacement activity to doing anything remotely relevant.

Well, as an ordinary citizen, I couldn't care less how they use the jet, any of them.
    So long as it is state business.
    What's the point in having it if it's not used?

An ordinary citizen as opposed to what? An extraordinary citizen?
    What’s the point in having it if it’s not used? Maybe not a great approach to take for the commander in chief of the army.

The PSNI did not make any official statement about this. Not would I expect them to. The same as I wouldn't expect AGS to make any official statement about the security for the president.
    PSNI sources may have said something, but nothing official.
    It is really not the business of citizens to know about the security arrangements for the president

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1005717/ RTE

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-politics-45928722 BBC.

I'm sure if you tried really hard you'd convince me that black was white.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Stop with the MDH evangelising Francie. No one is buying.

No-one other than about 2/3 of the electorate, that is.

alaimacerc wrote: »

MDH will not get 66% of the first preference vote.

Still no polls? Extraordinary!

alaimacerc wrote: »

Not according to the poll here and elsewhere.. And while ultimately the only poll that matters is the one on Friday, I think Casey will come a much tighter second than expected and I think he actually has a chance to win it outright after tonight.

An ordinary citizen as opposed to what? An extraordinary citizen?
    What’s the point in having it if it’s not used? Maybe not a great approach to take for the commander in chief of the army.

Why?
    It's there for use in state business, so why complain if it's used for state business?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

When his single issue campaign stuttered out on the word 'benefits'? :rolleyes: It was classic man adrift in a sea of his own bull**** to be honest.
    Yeh, he smiled a lot, because he had nothing much to say.

I like the idea that he thinks of our family members that travelled the far and wide overseas, worked hard , did well, and now have families, our Irish abroad,
    bringing their children back to see what this country is about, this is great.
    I have plenty nieces and nephews abroad that have not been born here, but see themselves as being of Irish descent, including them is great,
    Benefits was a small part of his speech

• Advertisement

So, Michael D was told by his staff that for security reasons they would use the jet.
    psni do not comment on security for individuals
    Which is exactly what I said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement