Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    My point is that the very politicians who were critical of Mc Aleeses use of the het are now either silent or defending Michael D for the exact same thing. It’s hypocrisy. Which is all we can expect from the elites in this country.

Which "very politicians"? I can honestly recall nothing being said about McAleese and the jet. Certainly wasn't the central, decisive issue in her campaign for reelec-- oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why?
    It's there for use in state business, so why complain if it's used for state business?

If you read my posts I don’t care about the Lear jet controversy. What I find annoying is the hypocrisy of FG and Labour politicians criticizing one president and defending another for the very same thing.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Casey was the big winner tonight

Reported for personally attacking FrancieBrady.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Stop with the MDH evangelising Francie. No one is buying.

- Casey was attacked pretty much constantly by the host in particular but the rest of the candidates as well

- He refused to get into the petty squabbling that the others did to try and get their "soundbite moment"

- The one thing Casey can't be accused of is spinning. If he was, he'd be a lot more polished than he is in his answers and he wouldn't be exposing himself to attack with the comments he's made

As I said last night Francie, it's obvious Casey will never win you over and that's fine.. Your not his audience anyway.

But the constant MDH fanboying while attacking everyone else is frankly getting tiresome and desperate at this point.

I have already said MDH is probably gilding the lily over the jet and he is still the only one capable of being president.

Casey had nothing to say for long periods of the show...because he has nothing to say basically. Joan Freeman has very little of import to say and she was streets ahead of him.
    He won't be going near the traveller stuff in the last debate you can be sure of that, unless his handlers are kamikaze pilots.

Not according to the poll here and elsewhere..
    Says more about AH than it does about anything else.
    And while ultimately the only poll that matters is the one on Friday, I think Casey will come a much tighter second than expected and I think he actually has a chance to win it outright after tonight.

More than a 3% chance? Hasten ye to Paddy Powers, then!

• Advertisement

If you read my posts I don’t care about the Lear jet controversy. What I find annoying is the hypocrisy of FG and Labour politicians criticizing one president and defending another for the very same thing.

That's fair enough, I haven't seen anyone complain about it until this Michael D in Belfast thing.
    Oh apart from, was it Mary Harney used it to open an off licence in sligo or some of rubbish!
    Anyway, yea hypocrisy from parties is typical.
    But, I have no issue with a government jet being used for its purpose.

MDH will not get 66% of the first preference vote.

Likely not. It'll be a low turnout, which will depress the "... why are we even bothering having a presidential election? Sure, yer man is grand." vote. And inflate the irascible Traveller-slurring one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Verdict, or how everyone came across according to the lads I watched it with:

Ni Riadia: Crazy.
    Duffy: Gobshìte.
    Gallagher: Angry Gobshìte.
    Freeman: Sound, but not charismatic enough, maybe came across as too nice.
    Higgins: Angry, arrogant, and condescending. You could see the inner dictator come out at some points. How dare these plebs ask me a question. Doubled down on the plane stuff in bad way. Didn't answer the question, didn't even bother.
    Casey: Nervous, unpolished, but didn't apologize, told the truth, and handled most of the questions really well, and handled the inevitible "dat racist" stuff pretty well.

Overall: Casey win!

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    It's been a mixed few months for Limerick hurler Peter Casey. The joy of winning an All-Ireland has been cancelled out by the embarrassment of having to share a name with a shameless racist piece of ****.

This is just an all-round crap post. Senseless tripe mixed with some attempt at humour (well, I'm guessing that's what it's meant to be) and then the usual racist/fascist gick too. Truly dreadful.

goat2 wrote: »
    I like the idea that he thinks of our family members that travelled the far and wide overseas, worked hard , did well, and now have families, our Irish abroad,
    bringing their children back to see what this country is about, this is great.
    I have plenty nieces and nephews abroad that have not been born here, but see themselves as being of Irish descent, including them is great,
    Benefits was a small part of his speech

He has basically just repackaged the Homecoming as a cutsy gimmick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 WillContribute

Fully Agreed.

There's a possible government collapse coming up.

If MDH is re-elected he could be the kingmaker/ frustrator either before of after the collapse, election. Everyone best be on good sides and working hard to do so ;)
    But if Casey gets in, all bets are off! Now that's a wild card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I have already said MDH is probably gilding the lily over the jet and he is still the only one capable of being president.

Casey had nothing to say for long periods of the show...because he has nothing to say basically. Joan Freeman has very little of import to say and she was streets ahead of him.
    He won't be going near the traveller stuff in the last debate you can be sure of that, unless his handlers are kamikaze pilots.
    What? Won't be going near the topic that's gotten him massive traction in the past week? Id expect him to broaden it further and launch a broadside on entitlement culture.

Even if he wanted to leave it, he will be asked about it.

Since Cooper cannot stand him, The next debate might be a bit more lively. Was pure ****e tonight, no thanks to RTE.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Which "very politicians"? I can honestly recall nothing being said about McAleese and the jet. Certainly wasn't the central, decisive issue in her campaign for reelec-- oh, wait...

Brian Hayes, Brendan Howlin, Pat Rabbitte, Michael Noonan, Leo Varadkar, Joan Burton, Richard Bruton.

There was no campaign for her re election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Biggest loser of debate was the SF candidate. That old " I'm taking the Average Industrial Wage " bolloxology was finally put to sleep.

Fully Agreed.

There's a possible government collapse coming up.

If MDH is re-elected he could be the kingmaker/ frustrator either before of after the collapse, election. Everyone best be on good sides and working hard to do so ;)
    But if Casey gets in, all bets are off! Now that's a wild card.

It would be unprecedented if a candidate supported by Labour, Fianna Fáil, Fianna Gael and most of the smaller parties and independents gets less than 50% of first preference votes.
    It’s incredible to see the FG front bench and Taoiseach out canvassing for a Labour presidential candidate. First FF gave up on opposition and now both FF and FG collude with the other establishment party to support an incumbent president. The best we can do is send a message to the establishment by voting in large numbers for Peter Casey.

Brian Hayes, Brendan Howlin, Pat Rabbitte, Michael Noonan, Leo Varadkar, Joan Burton, Richard Bruton.
    And when precisely was this huge controversy, and what were these trenchant criticisms of her each of the above made? I honestly recall nothing, and can google less. And I was just as zealous a PrimeTime viewer back during MMcA's presidency.
    There was no campaign for her re election.

ThatsTheJoke.gif

What? Won't be going near the topic that's gotten him massive traction in the past week? Id expect him to broaden it further and launch a broadside on entitlement culture.

Even if he wanted to leave it, he will be asked about it.

Since Cooper cannot stand him, The next debate might be a bit more lively. Was pure ****e tonight, no thanks to RTE.

I forgot it would be a different station so yeh, he will be asked again. But watch him moderate his language and tone it down and maybe even inform himself properly in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

It would be unprecedented if a candidate supported by Labour, Fianna Fáil, Fianna Gael and most of the smaller parties and independents gets less than 50% of first preference votes.
    It’s incredible to see the FG front bench and Taoiseach out canvassing for a Labour presidential candidate. First FF gave up on opposition and now both FF and FG collude with the other establishment party to support an incumbent president.

Pretty ludicrous observation. There's been one contested presidential reelection campaign ever, and in that one, there were only two candidates, so tricky for both to get less than 50%. So the lack of "precedent" here is entirely vacuous.
    The best we can do is send a message to the establishment by voting in large numbers for Peter Casey.
    Or the worst, outside of the shouty AH snug.

There have been people here for days talking for the 'whole' country. 'Everyone knows what he means, yada yada'. Says it all eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Omackeral wrote: »
    This is just an all-round crap post. Senseless tripe mixed with some attempt at humour (well, I'm guessing that's what it's meant to be) and then the usual racist/fascist gick too. Truly dreadful.

Who could have guessed that somebody denying racism and bigotry would come across as such a snowflake?

Who could have guessed that somebody denying racism and bigotry would come across as such a snowflake?

How does that even make sense? What I'm saying is your post is absolute drivel. How is that at all coming across as snowflake-like? Do you know what that insult even means?

Also, point out one racist thing he said. Go on. I'll wait.

mattser wrote: »
    Biggest loser of debate was the SF candidate. That old " I'm taking the Average Industrial Wage " bolloxology was finally put to sleep.

This had supposedly been made public a while ago, but the making-public was so quiet you'd have to have had your hearing aid turned a looooong way up.

I think LNR's been made to look moderately silly on this. Her salary was the AIW, it was €60k, it was €47k; the presidential salary should be €120k, she'd take €90k of it. Any other numbers I missed? If she'd been running in a stronger position, a lot more would have been made of this.

Maybe the rest of SF decided this would be a hilarious way to make the big announcement on the change in policy, but didn't let Riada in on the joke?

Casey caught blabbering again about the Irish in America not looking for special treatment. I was screaming at the telly at that stage. :)

The man is a walking bag of contradiction.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/morrison-visas-hero-signs-up-to-lobby-for-irish-illegals-in-us-36694567.html

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Pretty ludicrous observation. There's been one contested presidential reelection campaign ever, and in that one, there were o[/nly two candidates, so tricky for both to get less than 50%. So the lack of "precedent" here is entirely vacuous.

Or the worst, outside of the shouty AH snug.

You completely miss my point. Have FG, FF and Labour ever supported the same candidate in a presidential election or any other election? It’s time to vote for anyone but the anointed one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Omackeral wrote: »
    How does that even make sense? What I'm saying is your post is absolute drivel. How is that at all coming across as snowflake-like? Do you know what that insult even means?

Also, point out one racist thing he said. Go on. I'll wait.
    If you need such to be pointed out to you, perhaps you should look at enrolling in something like this. It'll save you the bother of having to ask in future.

http://su.nuigalway.ie/anti-racism-course-2/

Jaysus.
    Something of an ironic post from Mr. O'Connor, as many in the general population have similar feelings about those in the media.

There have been people here for days talking for the 'whole' country. 'Everyone knows what he means, yada yada'. Says it all eh?

And there have been people for years in the media telling people what to think...

If you need such to be pointed out to you, perhaps you should look at enrolling in something like this. It'll save you the bother of having to ask in future.

http://su.nuigalway.ie/anti-racism-course-2/

Again, just can't answer the simple question out straight. Typical really. Pathetic, in fact.

What did he say that was racist? Specifically.

• Advertisement

And there have been people for years in the media telling people what to think...

Most people have a mind of their own, there are some that are easily led by trite journalism and trite political speak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement