Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

He certainly seems very good at kicking down. Not that he actually offers any solutions mind. That would involve actual effort.

He’s kicking down as that’s where the abuse of the person who works and funds the welfare system, occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

tom1ie wrote: »
    It remains to be seen if he will. That’s a much more delicate subject, with regards to multi-nationals, they employ 10’s of 1000’s who pay tax, the company’s pay a certain amount of tax anyway, probably not enough.
    The low hanging fruit with this regard would be the fact the banks haven’t paid any tax since the crash even though they are back to making obscene amounts of profit.
    But anyway I digress, he’s called out sections of our population that have been abusing the system for too long. The media, politicians and our pc brigade, like francie, didn’t want to acknowledge this and just bury their heads in the sand, but peter has called them out on it.

He even called out RTE last night during the debate.

Can someone clear up a bit of a mind fcuk that has me all confussed here.

If travellers are encouraged to intermarry other travellers, and marrying settled folk is generally discouraged, is that discriminatory or a racist or bigoted trait?

If us Irish, who are generally white Caucasian folk, frowned upon our sons and daughters marrying from outside our own fellow Irish people gene pool, would that be seen as racist or bigoted?

If a person comes out as being homosexual and is disowned or ostracized within their own communities, is that considered bigotry?

If peter casey says every Irish person in the state should be defined as an Irish citizen first and foremost, treated equally, and granting one a special status a nonsense racist or bigoted?

I would go so far as to say, it's the racist/bigoted people who are screaming racist accusations the loudest.

Depends on what side of the fence you are on as to what the answer to those questions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

tom1ie wrote: »
    He’s kicking down as that’s where the abuse of the person who works and funds the welfare system, occurs.

Well fair play to him for finding an easy target that appeals to the mob. Hopefully he will **** off after this election and never heard from again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Apparently online polls of loudmouth racists are scientific, now.

I suppose they're exactly the type of "science" you'd expect supporters of the racist Neanderthal Casey to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Apparently online polls of loudmouth racists are scientific, now.

I suppose they're exactly the type of "science" you'd expect supporters of the racist Neanderthal Casey to believe.

Nobody has ever been able to explain what was racist about what Casey said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I listened to them all blabber on last night. I'm sorry I didn't give Casey my #1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Floppybits wrote: »
    Depends on what side of the fence you are on as to what the answer to those questions are.

I remember the wife watching one of those ridiculous gypsy wedding dress shows a few years back, and I think it had your man Paddy Doherty in it (could be wrong here, but anyway) and a daughter in the family basically said that if she seen or married a settled man, she'd have to leave the family.

When questioned about it, she went on to say that it's frowned upon to marry outsiders or settled people, as they were seen as beneath them, seriously.

And the father in the background modding enthusiastically in agreement.

I don't look down my nose at travellers, and I don't think they should look down their nose at me.

Casey calling for equality however is racist nowadays apparently.

Has me cafuddled and no mistake.

I remember the wife watching one of those ridiculous gypsy wedding dress shows a few years back, and I think it had your man Paddy Doherty in it (could be wrong here, but anyway) and a daughter in the family basically said that if she seen or married a settled man, she'd have to leave the family.

When questioned about it, she went on to say that it's frowned upon to marry outsiders or settled people, as they were seen as beneath them, seriously.

And the father in the background modding enthusiastically in agreement.

I don't look down my nose at travellers, and I don't think they should look down their nose at me.

Casey calling for equality however is racist nowadays apparently.

Has me cafuddled and no mistake.

Same here, like why is OK for one group to behave as they want but if the other behaves in the same way they are racists or bigots or homophobes or whatever the latest campaign is?

Like I said there has to be give and take on both sides but from what I can see it is only one side doing the taking.

I guess I can't just pack up now and buy a caravan and join the Traveling community like I can with other communities in the country.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Nobody has ever been able to explain what was racist about what Casey said.
    I'll make it simple for you. Vilifying the entirety of an ethnic group while simultaneously denying the existence of said ethnic group is categorically racist.

Also, denying that our Taoiseach is Irish on the basis of his skin colour and because one of his parents comes from India is categorically racist.

So much racism, so much attempted rationalisation on the part of racist simpletons.

This thread is like an echo chamber in a lunatic asylum.

It's like a load of Mick The Bulls from The Savage Eye, except that instead of dementedly shrieking "the problem with this country is the quares" they're substituting in the K word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I'll make it simple for you. Vilifying the entirety of an ethnic group while simultaneously denying the existence of said ethnic group is categorically racist.

Also, denying that our Taoiseach is Irish on the basis of his skin colour and because one of his parents comes from India is categorically racist.

So much racism, so much attempted rationalisation on the part of racist simpletons.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Casey had a chance to bring together the right-wing kneejerk, prone to the jackboot elements of FG FF and those disaffected and angry and I think his bungling incoherence has blown it. Or maybe that is what is required to lead a disparate rabble like that? Boris for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Casey had a chance to bring together the right-wing kneejerk, prone to the jackboot elements of FG FF and those disaffected and angry and I think his bungling incoherence has blown it. Or maybe that is what is required to lead a disparate rabble like that? Boris for example.

Polling 2nd on the journal.

So that’s no 1 here.

No 2 on the journal.

What exactly has he blown?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Disparate rabble, like the Irish left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The travellers do think they are superior and so so the Muslims, the travellers and the muslims have a lot in common, they are very backward in their attitude to women, women are basically brood males in both cultures. Travellers and Muslims also blindly adhere to religion and they are also very homophobic. Neither travellers or Muslims want to integrate in the society they live in, Muslims go a step further than travellers though by requiring women to cover up, this covering up starts as soon as a young girl reaches puberty.

TTravellers abuse alcohol throughout their lives while Muslims officially are supposed to live without alcohol and drugs, ie they are better than white trash. The terrorists who destroyed Paris were found to be high on drugs and alcohol and all were unemployable and had spent a lot of time in prison, this is another characteristic they share with travellers.

Polling 2nd on the journal.

So that’s no 1 here.

No 2 on the journal.

What exactly has he blown?
    "I take no notice of the polls, except the ones I like, such as ones on thejournal.ie and boards.ie where demented gob****es like me have a safe little echo chamber to vent our bigotry because we've got fook all else going on in our lives.

That's real science."

Can someone clear up a bit of a mind fcuk that has me all confussed here.

If travellers are encouraged to intermarry other travellers, and marrying settled folk is generally discouraged, is that discriminatory or a racist or bigoted trait?

If us Irish, who are generally white Caucasian folk, frowned upon our sons and daughters marrying from outside our own fellow Irish people gene pool, would that be seen as racist or bigoted?

If a person comes out as being homosexual and is disowned or ostracized within their own communities, is that considered bigotry?

If peter casey says every Irish person in the state should be defined as an Irish citizen first and foremost, treated equally, and granting one a special status a nonsense racist or bigoted?

I would go so far as to say, it's the racist/bigoted people who are screaming racist accusations the loudest.

Peter Casey was intolerant of the opinion, which was different to his opinion, that other candidates would have no problem living beside travelers.

bigot
    /ˈbɪɡət/
    noun
    noun: bigot; plural noun: bigots
    a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

Go fish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Good article in the Irish Times here, agree with many of the sentiments, nothing outrageous in them: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/presidential-election/casey-i-will-step-down-after-five-years-as-president-1.3673953

Agree that the presidential term should be limited to 5 years and coincide with the local elections. Also there should be a directly-elected mayor to Dublin with a proper budget and powers. There should be less county councils in Ireland, there should only be one Dublin City Council with the mayor leading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Any chance I could get a link where he "denied" that Leo is Irish.

Floppybits wrote: »
    He even called out RTE last night during the debate.

Yeah, as well they should be. They will only ever present the side of the argument that suits their narrative.
    Let’s get Miriam to re-interview margaret cash now that we know she’s “achieved” her 38th conviction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

A lot of whimpering from the lefties on here. I think they see a change coming. Working people have had enough of this PC bullsh1t.

Not all travellers are bad, but many are. Grew up in a town full of them and after the GF agreement they ran riot! Think they own the place. Casey is right, he is no JFK and not at all presidential but I hope he comes in a very close second. A message needs to be sent to the PC brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

"I take no notice of the polls, except the ones I like, such as ones on thejournal.ie and boards.ie where demented gob****es like me have a safe little echo chamber to vent our bigotry because we've got fook all else going on in our lives.

That's real science."

To be fair no other decent poll has taken place since his comments.
    I don't think either polls are going to be accurate but they are an indicator of some change of opinion, how much we don't know.
    The next best thing is probably Paddy Powers odds which put Casey in 3rd which is significant given he was well in 6th place beforehand.

I sincerely doubt he would win but even a significant change from he previous position does send a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Good article in the Irish Times here, agree with many of the sentiments, nothing outrageous in them: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/presidential-election/casey-i-will-step-down-after-five-years-as-president-1.3673953

Agree that the presidential term should be limited to 5 years and coincide with the local elections. Also there should be a directly-elected mayor to Dublin with a proper budget and powers. There should be less county councils in Ireland, there should only be one Dublin City Council with the mayor leading it.

I think he has some good idea in there, his delivery is awful though

mfceiling wrote: »
    Any chance I could get a link where he "denied" that Leo is Irish.
    I suppose one can try to rationalise it as not racist.

If one has a predisposition to minimise or outright deny racism, that is.

In what way did he villify (to utter slanderous and abusive statements against) the entirety of an ethnic group? In other to villify somebody you would have to say something that was both untrue and derogatory. Can you link me to something that Peter Casey said about the travelling community that was both untrue and derogatory.

On the existence of said ethnic group, this has been explored a couple of times on threads here. From what I have learned, the categorisation is subjective and self-selective, to the extent that Aran Islanders could get themselves deemed to be an ethnic minority if they wanted to be, but also couldn't be forced to call themselves an ethnic minority. As the classification is so subjective, there is plenty of reasons why you can challenge it.

I think you misunderstood his comments here. From what I understood from this, is that he said that the Taoiseach was Irish even though he had Indian heritage and was happy to be Irish, so why couldn't the travelling community be happy to be Irish.

It's like a load of Mick The Bulls from The Savage Eye, except that instead of dementedly shrieking "the problem with this country is the quares" they're substituting in the K word.

That is bile worthy of a racist.

I agree, and the likes of Renua should be watching that space carefully. If he gets up to 10%, then there is a clear gap for a political party to move into.

If they get rid of the socially backward thinking such as pro life and coupling the state with the church even more than it is already.
    Their economic and judicial views are bang on. They need to clarify their views on immigration, as immigration is the only way our state pension needs will be met at current levels, even with a high indigenous birth rate. (That’s taking a blunt look at it).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

tretorn wrote: »
    The travellers do think they are superior and so so the Muslims, the travellers and the muslims have a lot in common, they are very backward in their attitude to women, women are basically brood males in both cultures. Travellers and Muslims also blindly adhere to religion and they are also very homophobic. Neither travellers or Muslims want to integrate in the society they live in, Muslims go a step further than travellers though by requiring women to cover up, this covering up starts as soon as a young girl reaches puberty.

TTravellers abuse alcohol throughout their lives while Muslims officially are supposed to live without alcohol and drugs, ie they are better than white trash. The terrorists who destroyed Paris were found to be high on drugs and alcohol and all were unemployable and had spent a lot of time in prison, this is another characteristic they share with travellers.

The world would be a much better place if we just let white, Christians, who get up in the morning run it eh... except we tried that.
    It didn't work out so well for millions of people.

And by the way - there are white, Christians who view women in the way you described (it used to be the norm in Western society until you know, Feminism...) and have a tendency towards violence but they aren't "terrorists" no surry bob... they are "lone wolves with mental health issues".

I'm fairly sure who ever planted the bombs in Warrington and Omagh were white, Irish, Christians from the settled community.

Peter Casey was intolerant of the opinion, which was different to his opinion, that other candidates would have no problem living beside travelers.

Go fish

In what way was he intolerant of their opinion?

Going by your definition, all of the other candidates were bigots in that they were intolerant of Casey's reasonable opinions on the travelling community.

I think you are straw-clutching.

Well fair play to him for finding an easy target that appeals to the mob. Hopefully he will **** off after this election and never heard from again.

Why? Do you pay tax? If the answer is no, well then fine of course your not going to be happy about what he says.
    If the answer is yes, why are you against his calls for better public use of the tax you contribute?

• Advertisement

In what way did he villify (to utter slanderous and abusive statements against) the entirety of an ethnic group? In other to villify somebody you would have to say something that was both untrue and derogatory. Can you link me to something that Peter Casey said about the travelling community that was both untrue and derogatory.

On the existence of said ethnic group, this has been explored a couple of times on threads here. From what I have learned, the categorisation is subjective and self-selective, to the extent that Aran Islanders could get themselves deemed to be an ethnic minority if they wanted to be, but also couldn't be forced to call themselves an ethnic minority. As the classification is so subjective, there is plenty of reasons why you can challenge it.

I think you misunderstood his comments here. From what I understood from this, is that he said that the Taoiseach was Irish even though he had Indian heritage and was happy to be Irish, so why couldn't the travelling community be happy to be Irish.

That is bile worthy of a racist.
    You're still trying to rationalise and justify racism.

That's what racists have done throughout history.

Good luck with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement