Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    This thread has been nonsense from the beginning.
    A circle jerk echo chamber ranting that ALL Travellers are drunken scumbags who do nothing but live off the State on other people's property and interbreed and fight and they want rights Ted - fecking RIGHTS. Where are MY rights Ted. I get up in the morning Ted. And did we mention Welfare Ted? SPONGERS Ted... and now we have Muslims Ted. TERRORISTS Ted.

But Peter Casey - he'll put it up 'em Ted. Oh yes. He'll drive 'em into the sea like that golf ball - the one the tree hugging, lefty, PC, Liberal, snowflakes were complaining about.
    The man in the street is fed up of being told where we can drive our golf balls Ted. WE GET UP EARLY - WE CAN DRIVE OUR FECKING BALLS WHERE WE FECKING LIKE! Ted.

I went to school with some traveller kids, one of those received the highest results on her leaving,
    just like the settled community, we all have our problems.
    Show me where I said they are a bad bunch,
    I would not tar all with the same brush as a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I think you might in a minority on that one. If he is still a Brexiteer, I don’t want him as our head of state, simple as that, and neither would many others I suspect. He needs to clarify his position IMO.

He was never gonna be head of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gmisk wrote: »

And did he deny An Taoiseach was Irish, which is what was inferred? No, I don't think he did at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    His good friend Daniel Ortega. No one has shone a light into that dark corner of his past.
    Thats been pretty well talked about, maybe have a look online?
    When was the last time they met face to face? I think "good friend" is a stretch.

Anyway Daniel Ortega (and the FSLN), are the democratically elected president and party of Nicaragua...so not really sure what the issue is.

Nicaragua was previously under the control of the Somoza family, a military dictatorship backed by the US. They were by all accounts brutal.

Higgins’ Labour Party was quite rightly quick to call out SF on the suppression of child sexual abuse but our dear leader continued to defend a man accused of raping a nine year old girl. There is no outrage or #metoo support because Higgins is the darling of the very people who should be asking hard questions of him. You won’t see Michael D’s close friendship with an alleged child rapist raised in the Irish Times.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Casey's tiny band of supporters haven't a clue about the real world.

I'm sure they can point to a single instance where broad brush racial vilification has woked out well anywhere in the world.....

It's hilarious how Mr. Casey is still so embarrassed that a person of Traveller background, Padraig MacLochlainn, wiped the floor with him in the Seabed elections in 2016.

It must have been the ultimate humiliation for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No - you're just requoting an unashamedly misleading headline by the indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Higgins’ Labour Party was quite rightly quick to call out SF on the suppression of child sexual abuse but our dear leader continued to defend a man accused of raping a nine year old girl. There is no outrage or #metoo support because Higgins is the darling of the very people who should be asking hard questions of him. You won’t see Michael D’s close friendship with an alleged child rapist raised in the Irish Times.
    I'm finding no indication of them having a "close friendship"... Only claim of being such close friends is a post on here from 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is not just in the headline

He went on to described the Taoiseach as "being a member of an ethnic community himself" and "being Indian".

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Casey's tiny band of supporters haven't a clue about the real world.

I'm sure they can point to a single instance where broad brush racial vilification has woked out well anywhere in the world.....

It's hilarious how Mr. Casey is still so embarrassed that a person of Traveller background, Padraig MacLochlainn, wiped the floor with him in the Seabed elections in 2016.

What’s s seabed election? Is it to elect captain Birdseye?
    Would 20% of the first preference vote on Friday be seen as a tiny band of supporters?

In fairness to Casey, he lives above sea level so it was probably for the best that he didn't win that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The allegations were raised in 1998... and were then withdrawn...and then claimed to be true again...

When was the last time Michael D Higgins met with Ortega? was it after 1998? I cant see any evidence at all of that.

The only quotes I can find are below, all from the 80s.
    Michael D., Irish Times, November 10, 1984, defends Nicaragua, and says the elections that the communists won were fair. He describes Nicaragua as "a pluralist democracy".
    In the Senate, 20 March, 1985, he describes Nicaragua as "a small country that has recently thrown off the shackles of dictatorship ... In every sphere - health, education, welfare, housing - its achievements have been enormous. It is a society which is transforming itself.". He promotes the idea of inviolable state sovereignty: "In international law we have signed covenants that recognise the integrity of national territory, that accept sovereignty. Under international law the belligerence of the statements being made against Nicaragua are outrageous." He asks for "support for this democracy that may not exist should we ignore the challenges which are there to it now ... so that we might save people who have established democracy in the wake of the cruellest dictatorship of the century."

President Michael D Higgins has not ruled out a separate future visit to Nicaragua after a planned stop in the country on his 12-day tour of Central America was dropped because of scheduling issues.

Speaking in Mexico City on the first day of his three-country tour to Mexico, El Salvador and Costa Rica, Mr Higgins said that originally he had also planned to stop in Nicaragua, whose leader Daniel Ortega he has hosted in Ireland.

“Unfortunately the host side ran into some diary difficulties which included, for example, the fact of whether the president is in the country during the period when the visit is taking place,” he said. “In the case of Nicaragua, that is for the future,” Mr Higgins added.

butthurt....circle jerk....Stormfront...."Heil Casey!"

You seem like a well reasoned poster with good ideas and a fantastic vocabulary.

batgoat wrote: »
    I'm finding no indication of them having a "close friendship"... Only claim of being such close friends is a post on here from 2011.

Well they refer to each other as “dear friends” but then again you can’t believe everything Michael D says.

Omackeral wrote: »
    And did he deny An Taoiseach was Irish, which is what was inferred? No, I don't think he did at all.
    Of course you wouldn't - you're attempting to rationalise racism so you have a vested interest in trying to deny what any rational person can see is obvious.

You probably believe the story that the Russians who poisoned the Skripals were "tourists" too - I don't see why you wouldn't - it's equally as plausible as the notion that Casey wasn't deliberately engaging in racist dog whistling.

If you can convince yourself to believe one fairy story, why stop there?

Maybe I could interest you in a used car?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It is quoted in the story as well....
    he described the Taoiseach as "being a member of an ethnic community himself" and "being Indian".

• hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Apparently online polls of loudmouth racists are scientific, now.

I suppose they're exactly the type of "science" you'd expect supporters of the racist Neanderthal Casey to believe.

Travellers aren’t a race. If anything he’s being nationalist towards his own nationality. Try harder :’)

the Seabed elections in 2016.

Was there a RedSea poll for those elections?

It is not just in the headline

Yeah, welcome to 3 days ago.

The indo can misconduct quotes you know, away and listen to his actual words, not what the indo were trying to imply.

Btw, Leo is of mixed race, Indian and Irish heritage, his supporters made a pretty big deal about it during him being appointed to the role of Taoiseach, ( that and of being a homosexual mixed race), but not in a negative way.

I think (bearing in mind I'm assuming you'll go off and read what Casey actually said) the point has sailed over your head.

Leo says he's of Indian descent = good, we're progressing as a nation.
    Casey points out the leader of the country is of Indian descent = bad man, he's racist, bad man tut tut.

Yeah, welcome to 3 days ago.

The indo can misconduct quotes you know, away and listen to his actual words, not what the indo were trying to imply.

Btw, Leo is of mixed race, Indian and Irish heritage, his supporters made a pretty big deal about it during him being appointed to the role of Taoiseach, ( that and of being a homosexual mixed race), but not in a negative way.

I think (bearing in mind I'm assuming you'll go off and read what Casey actually said) the point has sailed over your head.

Leo says he's of Indian descent = good, we're progressing as a nation.
    Casey points out the leader of the country is of Indian descent = bad man, he's racist, bad man tut tut.

Being of indian descent <> being indian. Leo is Irish the same as i am.

Of course you wouldn't - you're attempting to rationalise racism so you have a vested interest in trying to deny what any rational person can see is obvious.

You probably believe the story that the Russians who poisoned the Skripals were "tourists" too - I don't see why you wouldn't - it's equally as plausible as the notion that Casey wasn't deliberately engaging in racist dog whistling.

If you can convince yourself to believe one fairy story, why stop there?

Maybe I could interest you in a used car?

How about a used boat? I wanna run for the next Seabed elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

President Michael D Higgins has not ruled out a separate future visit to Nicaragua after a planned stop in the country on his 12-day tour of Central America was dropped because of scheduling issues.

Speaking in Mexico City on the first day of his three-country tour to Mexico, El Salvador and Costa Rica, Mr Higgins said that originally he had also planned to stop in Nicaragua, whose leader Daniel Ortega he has hosted in Ireland.

“Unfortunately the host side ran into some diary difficulties which included, for example, the fact of whether the president is in the country during the period when the visit is taking place,” he said. “In the case of Nicaragua, that is for the future,” Mr Higgins added.

So a visit was dropped in 2013.....I would say that likely done on purpose but worded not to offend and burn bridges...so what is your point?...
    Has he met with Ortega since 1998 when the allegations were made? The answer seems to be No.....is there anything suggest they are good friends No.....really reaching for anything to criticise at this stage, pretty embarassing.

Being of indian descent <> being indian.

Did anyone ever imply he wasn't Irish?

Did you listen to Casey's words?

I'm guessing no.
    Leo is Irish the same as i am.

Aha, the same as travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I think it is getting hot here now,
    because P Casey is looking very likely to be our next Representative on the world stage,

Yous just don’t get it.

We know he isn’t getting in, we care that he finally spoke the truth about issues that all our elected representatives are afraid to say.

This trying to discredit him is embarrassing.

Heaven forbid I try to dissect a presidential candidate's views

Omackeral wrote: »
    You seem like a well reasoned poster with good ideas and a fantastic vocabulary.
    I am, which is exactly why I'm treating the views of Casey sycophants like yourself with all the reasoning and credibility they deserve - absolutely none - because they're views only bigoted idiots in total denial hold.

I do hope the tone of condescension and ridicule is coming across loud and clear.

It's fully intended.

goat2 wrote: »
    I think it is getting hot here now,
    because P Casey is looking very likely to be our next Representative on the world stage,

He is in his bollix. He will be doing well to reach the quota for expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes I think you will be right

Even if he went from 2% to 10% that would be an achievement

It is quoted in the story as well....
    he described the Taoiseach as "being a member of an ethnic community himself" and "being Indian".

Read below, and open your mind.
    I think Casey's point about varadker is how his family managed to come to our country and in one generation they raised a son who acted and was accepted as an ordinary irishman. His family accepted our laws and customs and didn't look for special treatment or special status.

Travellers refuse to blend in. They hide behind the excuse of customs to continue illegal practices like sulky racing, feuding and bare knuckle boxing. They expect to be allowed to produce big families even though they can't afford to have them.

Imo Casey's point was that there should not be any special groups receiving or asking for special treatment. The same standards should be expected for all living here no matter what ethnic group they are part of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So a visit was dropped in 2013.....I would say that likely done on purpose but worded not to offend and burn bridges...so what is your point?...
    Has he met with Ortega since 1998 when the allegations were made? The answer seems to be No.....is there anything suggest they are good friends No.....really reaching for anything to criticise at this stage, pretty embarassing.

Well when Ortega visited Ireland, he visited in Higgins at home, rather than any official reception. But Mickey probably does that for all visiting dignitaries :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes I think you will be right

Even if he went from 2% to 10% that would be an achievement

And then hopefully he puts away the dog whistle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement