Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

tom1ie wrote: »
    I think you made need help.

I do.
    I'm surrounded by people who like to spew hatred and justify it as plain speaking. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Strange that was never brought up, I wonder will it be mentioned in the final debate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

So why is he only now coming out with this? If he has such strong views about the length of the term of office, why did he not voice them from the start of his campaign?

Maybe he wanted to keep it as a surprise like Michael D did with his decision to run for a second term.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Higgins couldn't lie straight in a bed.

What drivel are you basing that on?

Paddy power have Casey as second fav now.

It will still be Higgins, but if the trend continues it won't be the walkover envisaged.

Possibly will see a second or third count before he gets it.

Incredible that no poll has been published in over a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Strange that was never brought up, I wonder will it be mentioned in the final debate

It needs to be, if he wants to leave the EU it'll cost him big imho. He'll look like a tool representing Ireland and supporting Irexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    is it possible that the poll was carried out but the result was too unpalatable to print?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

is it possible that the poll was carried out but the result was too unpalatable to print?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Just listened to the entire 1 oclock news on rte radio. no mention of presidential election at all.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Omackeral wrote: »
    Nice emotional rant but one question...

Who is Ted?

My Da's dog.
    I'm minding him in between caring for my elderly, with dementia, diabetes, and renal failure father who is lying on a trolley in an A&E for some days now. I should probably blame Travellers but to be honest the ones I met up there were in a similar situation and unfailingly nice - none of them are employed in hospital administration so can't help me get me Da a bed.
    Met some horrific members of the Settled Community tho.

Anyway, Ted tends to go walkabout so being the dog in the street I reckon he might be on board with the rants here. Turns out Ted doesn't give a monkeys who people are or where they come from as long as they are nice to him. He takes each person as an individual.

• Advertisement

No you’d have to have a media dominated by left wing liberals or owned by those close to the political elite for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I do.
    I'm surrounded by people who like to spew hatred and justify it as plain speaking. :(

No one is making you “stay” here. I’m not sure how you think your surrounded either, this is cyber space.
    Casey=equality.

Cienciano wrote: »
    It needs to be, if he wants to leave the EU it'll cost him big imho. He'll look like a tool representing Ireland and supporting Irexit.

It puts him in a tiny minority of irish people too, EU support is at an all time high here

• Cienciano wrote: »

Especially with a name like irexit. Better name is eirexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Polls published last weekend, which were dated though and reflected the establishment view. Personally I don't think more polls should be published, let Friday be the answer and we'll see.

Can see myself that Peter Casey has flaws but who doesn't? At least he's human and can see the lighter side of things as well. I think I'll vote for him unless something radical happens in the meantime i.e. final debate tonight.

Michael D Higgins is fine but he's done his stint and I think he should have retired.

Especially with a name like irexit. Better name is eirexit.

Nah that's a British name for it, and it's missing the fada

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Turns out Ted doesn't give a monkeys who people are or where they come from as long as they are nice to him. He takes each person as an individual.

Ah, same as myself.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    I wouldn't discriminate against any singular chap or lady, settled or Traveller. I give everyone, and I mean everyone, the benefit of the doubt until they give me a reason not to. I include so called marginalised folks in that including Roma, drug addicts, homeless or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

This was sent to me this morning. I’ll be voting Higgins but I think Casey will be a good 2nd place bet. I think you can get in odds of 4/1 (minus Higgins in the race)
    Higgins will walk it it but I think a few gamblers will vote Casey just for the odds

“There are six candidates in the running for president of Ireland. Five of them have repeatedly claimed that travellers are marginalised and victims of discrimination.... That they deserve our respect and support and proportionally, the 26% more per capita spent on every one of them versus all others in receipt of social welfare. This claim is supported by the Taoiseach, Minister Flanagan and many other politicians along with the media, particularly RTE. There is absolutely no reference to the people of rural Ireland who have been murdered in their homes during robberies, beaten and robbed in their farms and houses and even when the perpetrators are caught they get a slap on the wrist.... Because they are victims???? How many people in remote homes sleep at night when they know that travellers are in their area? How many shops and pubs have been closed because they were targeted by large groups during funerals or weddings? How many elderly people have been targeted to have gutters "fixed" or sheds "painted" and had their life savings siphoned out of them? How many people do you know of on the dole that can spend in excess of forty thousand on a new car regularly not to mention regularly spending thirty thousand and upwards on weddings and in many cases on holy communions? They even do so on RTE and Tv3/Virgin documentaries yet they go unchallenged. The five candidates and Leo and his ministers do not get it because they live in a bubble but Peter Casey has hit the nail on the head and people need to stand up and make a point with their votes next week. He will not get in but at least the cosy PC brigade might get the message that we are sick of their apologies for criminal behaviour and take note of rural Ireland.“

• Registered Users Posts: 30,538 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find people are really lost about this election. Originally people were voting for Michael D mainly because he was the best of a bad lot. Most people would be in agreement he tipped along the last few years but they can't see him doing anything else in a new term.
    If they weren't voting for him they weren't really going to bother voting.
    Last week tough when Peter made his comment it made them interested and they began to sway over to him.
    If there was anybody else really credible and the government backed somebody neither would really be getting a look in I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Paddy Power do their own polling and rarely publish it as it's usually done to their criteria which may not be the standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Paddy Power do their own polling and rarely publish it as it's usually done to their criteria which may not be the standard.

The various media outlets will have done their polling this week too.
    They don't pay for polls on an ad hoc basis, they have quarterly and yearly agreements in place for X amount of interactions per service agreement.

They have the details of the polls that are available, but they will not be published. It will only serve to embolden people.
    The providers of the polls are bound by confidentiality agreements where they are not permitted to state they have conducted polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So why is he only now coming out with this? If he has such strong views about the length of the term of office, why did he not voice them from the start of his campaign?

Maybe he should have waited 7 years to have announced it, ala MDH and his only one term pledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The various media outlets will have done their polling this week too.
    They don't pay for polls on an ad hoc basis, they have quarterly and yearly agreements in place for X amount of interactions per service agreement.

They have the details of the polls that are available, but they will not be published. It will only serve to embolden people.
    The providers of the polls are bound by confidentiality agreements where they are not permitted to state they have conducted polls.

An interesting theory.
    Why would media outlets not publish a scoop?

elperello wrote: »
    An interesting theory.
    Why would media outlets not publish a scoop?

If you take a look at the current Journal.ie poll it shows Seán Gallagher on 3% with 275 votes and Gavin Duffy on 4% with 96 votes. Something not right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you take a look at the current Journal.ie poll it shows Seán Gallagher on 3% with 275 votes and Gavin Duffy on 4% with 96 votes. Something not right there.

I ha d a look at that.
    It's a bit hard to make it out but if you look again you will see a tiny arrow over the pie chart linking Duffy to the 1% segment.

I still don't think media outlets are holding back poll results.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Both Casey and Gallagher are now 6/5 each in the betting w/o mdh market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Does anyone know what Peter Casey is promising to do with regards to Travellers should he get elected?

Whats his plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

If you take a look at the current Journal.ie poll it shows SeGallagher on 3% with 275 votes and Gavin Duffy on 4% with 96 votes. Something not right there.

Glitch? - Says Gavin is on 1% now... PeterC was up to 32% earlier...

464520.png

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

AH reply?? Blast them with p!$$

Reality: Nothing he can do. Except same as miggledy. Invite them to move onto his lawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Does anyone know what Peter Casey is promising to do with regards to Travellers should he get elected?

Whats his plan?

He doesn't have a plan. He isn't going to do anything. He never intended to do anything. It was a dog whistle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement