Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

ozmo wrote: »
    Glitch? - Says Gavin is on 1% now... PeterC was up to 32% earlier...

464520.png

Now why didn't I think of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

He doesn't have a plan. He isn't going to do anything. He never intended to do anything. It was a dog whistle.

That's what I thought, but I will still be voting for him as a matter of principle to demonstrate I'm sick of their ways and sick of them being allowed to get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I should probably blame Travellers but to be honest the ones I met up there were in a similar situation and unfailingly nice - none of them are employed in hospital administration so can't help me get me Da a bed.

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

davo2001 wrote: »
    Fixed your post.

No you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I only threw a few bob on initially to keep it exciting

20181024-152426.jpg

20181024-152954.jpg

If I win a few bob, great - bank holiday weekend etc etc.

If I don't, meh.

Kept an otherwise mundane election exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

If I win a few bob, great - bank holiday weekend etc etc.

If I don't, meh.

Kept an otherwise mundane election exciting.

I've similar, but higher amnts and at 8/1-12/1.

But the value bet was Mdh 40-49.99% 1st pref @33/1 25/1 and 22/1

Put it this way, if Mdh 1st pref is 40-50% and Casey comes second, I'll be rather happy. 😊

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

People are asking what casey plans to do re travellers etc if he gets in. Is it not clear at this stage that it's not at all about what he plans to do, it's about the opinion he has put out there which is widely supported throughout the country. The official vote on Friday will be the definitive proof of how widely he is supported. I'm saying he gets 20 percent upwards and if so, it's a clear demonstration of the opinion of the people to take him from 2 to 20 percent.
    If he was to return a 3 percent vote for example, Leo will be out confirming his delight that the people didn't fall for what Casey was saying etc so I think it's so important now to make that protest vote to clearly show the thoughts of the general population.
    The election has now been turned into a yes no vote -
    Travellers are grand(Anything but Casey)
    or
    Travellers need to follow law of the land and behave and be treated like everyone else. (CASEY VOTE)

Nobody cared about election. They do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

I through 20 euro on Casey at 80/1. It really irritates me to see media , politicians and mainly Dublin folk get so uptight if someone criticises anything to do with travellers. They are so out of touch with rural Ireland it's a joke. Only last week our farmer neighbour asked travellers who were tressprassing on his land to leave. They got so aggressive and threatened him to do damage. They came back that night and damaged tyres and other farm equipment. It has happened on loads of farms lately. The amount of stuff that they steal wud fill croke park. They walk away Scot free. Why shud we work our asses off. Pay taxes to fund their lifestyle
    . Every christening, wedding, comunion they spend thousands that is never accounted for. If we dare question we are branded racists. I really hope Casey wins , he may not be a great speaker but he speaks his mind and hopefully it will start up a conversation about how everyone shud contribute to society and not be afraid to speak ur mind.

He does pay tax in Ireland.

Jesus do people actually listen or do they be on their phones half listening then just go with polls on deciding to vote for things?

Calm down . I’m still not voting for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Casey #1

gfT6AVJ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I've been keeping one eye on Peter Casey's doings and with the best will in the world, and this business with the Travelers one-side, he's a terrible candidate. He has a couple of tubs to thump, but no vision to articulate and poor enough command of language. He doesn't put his points - such as they are - across very well and when it comes to defending himself he just starts spluttering pretty much immediately. Even with his wife beside him on VM1 morning television today, the lovely Ciara Doherty - who is about as scary as My Little Pony and is certainly, with the greatest respect to her, no Olivia O'Leary - had him in Gordian knots.

So much waffle. Of course you were gonna vote for him last week, pull the other one!!

His company is fully tax compliant in Ireland and pays a lot more than 1c in Ireland. He lives in Ireland and is in the process of getting rid of his green card, which is a complex procedure and should have that sorted by next week and will then be paying all of his taxes in Ireland.

No idea what his daughter being in college in another country has to do with anything?

For someone who was a supporter last week, you didn’t really listen to what he said last night.

I’m still not voting for him , sorry , change of heart , my prerogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

There is no danger of him winning but hopefully a good showing will not allow Varadkar, Coveney, Martin etc to ignore the Traveller issues

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    There is no danger of him winning but hopefully a good showing will not allow Varadkar, Coveney, Martin etc to ignore the Traveller issues

Although the Traveller issue needs sorting the bigger issue is the welfare dependent state** and the entitlement culture.

** Not pensioners, carers, disabled etc. Just the "Margaret Cash" types

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

He raised how the budget was an insult to workers last night. Attacked RTÉ. Keep voting for the ones that varadkar and co want you to vote for though. The ones that will make their life easy. Like the hobbit ... I’m doing the unthinkable and voting ff next election, I’ll do my bit to avoid the biggest populist shake turncoat from being Taoiseach. If all they care about is power , remove him from his golden perch ...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Casey forum posts about to overtake Higgins forum posts. That was goal of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Although the Traveller issue needs sorting the bigger issue is the welfare dependent state** and the entitlement culture.

** Not pensioners, carers, disabled etc. Just the "Margaret Cash" types

*** And all out benefit fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

KrustyUCC wrote: »

ya right, nothing will change on any of the issues he raised, not just travellers, he raised points about other things that have upset people.

if anything, things will get more PC as the minority will make a huge amount of noise and get all of the media attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ya right, nothing will change on any of the issues he raised, not just travellers, he raised points about other things that have upset people.

if anything, things will get more PC as the minority will make a huge amount of noise and get all of the media attention.

I dunno, depending on what he gets, it could get interesting. I reckon a lot of (particularly)rural TDs are watching with, em, interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

alaimacerc wrote: »
    It seems to enrage the Traveller-bashers beyond all reason. "OMG, they get homes just because they need homes, welfare payments just because they're in need of those, and ethnic minority status just because they're an ethnic minority. It's everything that they're getting!!"

That count as making a difference?

What about stables and grazing land ?
    How many others non specific ethnic group get to demand stables and grazing land from councils ?
    hill16bhoy wrote: »
    It's been a mixed few months for Limerick hurler Peter Casey. The joy of winning an All-Ireland has been cancelled out by the embarrassment of having to share a name with a shameless racist piece of ****.

Are you now claiming to speak for Peter Casey Limerick and Na Piarsaigh corner forward now ?
    If you need such to be pointed out to you, perhaps you should look at enrolling in something like this. It'll save you the bother of having to ask in future.

http://su.nuigalway.ie/anti-racism-course-2/

NUIG/UCG Students Union were always a pile of shytes who went off on some unneeded crusade, so no surprise they are running such a course.

Rather than run a course chargin a fiver they could just put a notice around the college that said
    "treat everyone as you would like to be treated, treat them fairly and without favour regardless of colour, race, religion or gender. Everyone is equal"

Speaking of that statement didn't Peter Casey say everyone in this country such be treated equally ?

BTW nice deflection and refusal to tell us all exactly how Casey is a racist and what he said that was racist.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Obviously a lot of interest as PP have now added these bets on Casey
    Previously it was only Mickey D had these, all the other just had a less than x greater than x
    They reckon he is up around the 10% mark anyway

% of 1st preferences
    0.00-2.99% 14/1
    3.00-5.99% 7/1
    6.00-8.99% 4/1
    9.00-11.99% 3/1
    12.00-14.99% 4/1
    15.00-17.99% 5/1
    18.00% or Higher 4/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Ni Riada on today fm now calling for open borders.

Saying we all need to embrace multiculturalism.

Typical Sinn Fein leftie nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BoneIdol

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I’m doing the unthinkable and voting ff next election, I’ll do my bit to avoid the biggest populist shake turncoat from being Taoiseach. If all they care about is power , remove him from his golden perch ...

You absolute rebel. The Irish public has never bounced between FG and FF before. I hope you understand what a groundbreaking decision you're making.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I dunno, depending on what he gets, it could get interesting. I reckon a lot of (particularly)rural TDs are watching with, em, interest.

If Casey gets anything above lets say 20% it is a major eye opener for our elected elites, the spanners in the media and all the celebrity gobshytes that have spent the last number of years telling everyone how they are meant to act.

Just to see the gobshytes have meltdowns ala Trumps election in US would be priceless.

To some degree I can see certain sections of the country, certain towns voting overwhelmingly for Casey.

That could be a hell of a statement and of course the media ar**holes will immediately adopt the approach they did with likes of Roscommon re marriage referendum and snidely refer to them as backwards ignorant racists.

Local politicians on the other hand would be wise to keep stum.

Even if Casey only gets above 10% it shows how his remarks have resonated with people.

I think Casey can do well if people who are p**d off and who have taken for granted for long enough get out and vote.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Looks like Ireland has inadvertently been plunged into 2 referendums on Fri.

Blasphemy.

And a yes/no vote on what Casey said about Irish citizens and equality.

Serves them right for trying to scupper any chance of an election to begin with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The only people I call racists are those who engage in and/or attempt to rationalise or minimise racism.

You've comfortably included yourself in that category along with many others here.

Not surprising that you're now attempting to censor me.

People with far right opinions have never been very big on free speech.

Racist circle jerks must not be disturbed!

You have posted similar bile a number of times now. Labelling a large group of other posters as racists while failing to actually engage in debate isn't healthy for the discussion.

You have been asked a number of times to produce both the racist statements made by Casey and the racist statements made by posters. You have accused me of being a racist as well, and I would really like to see what I have posted in this thread that you deem racist.

It is not racist to say that the cultural practice of female genital mutilation by African tribes is wrong. It is not racist to say that the cultural practice of covering women's faces by Muslims is wrong.

Similarly, it is not racist to suggest that the cultural practice of withdrawing children from school at young ages and forcing marriage on them by the Traveller community is wrong. Neither is it racist to suggest that the endemic criminality and environmental damage caused by the Traveller community in Ireland today doesn't reflect traditional Traveller cultures of self-reliance on the land and repairing, recycling and trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BoneIdol

blanch152 wrote: »
    You have posted similar bile a number of times now. Labelling a large group of other posters as racists while failing to actually engage in debate isn't healthy for the discussion.

You have been asked a number of times to produce both the racist statements made by Casey and the racist statements made by posters. You have accused me of being a racist as well, and I would really like to see what I have posted in this thread that you deem racist.

It is not racist to say that the cultural practice of female genital mutilation by African tribes is wrong. It is not racist to say that the cultural practice of covering women's faces by Muslims is wrong.

Similarly, it is not racist to suggest that the cultural practice of withdrawing children from school at young ages and forcing marriage on them by the Traveller community is wrong. Neither is it racist to suggest that the endemic criminality and environmental damage caused by the Traveller community in Ireland today doesn't reflect traditional Traveller cultures of self-reliance on the land and repairing, recycling and trading.

If I go through your post history will you be raising similar concerns about the environment from the business world, or genital mutilation in the USA or the wearing of the habit in the Catholic Church? Or are you one of these "not a racist" lads that only seems to take umbrdge with social problems when they relate to other ethnicities?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

blanch152 wrote: »

Just report him for it cos he doesn't engage at all and just calls everyone racist and bigoted. I've done it a few times now. I've no issue with someone being on the other side of an argument to me but when they don't post honestly and just try to act the maggot and straight up lie with their accusations, then what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

He raised how the budget was an insult to workers last night. Attacked RTÉ. Keep voting for the ones that varadkar and co want you to vote for though. The ones that will make their life easy. Like the hobbit ... I’m doing the unthinkable and voting ff next election, I’ll do my bit to avoid the biggest populist shake turncoat from being Taoiseach. If all they care about is power , remove him from his golden perch ...

FF?!?!?!

But... but... they got us into this mess in the first place.... they enable the budgets to happen with the Confidence and Supply Agreement...
    they are part and parcel of the whole damn mess....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I’m doing the unthinkable and voting ff next election, I’ll do my bit to avoid the biggest populist shake turncoat from being Taoiseach.

Voting FF to avoid populism. From the people who brought you fighting for peace, and f-- ornicating for virginity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement