Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    It's been a mixed few months for Limerick hurler Peter Casey. The joy of winning an All-Ireland has been cancelled out by the embarrassment of having to share a name with a shameless racist piece of ****.

There is other family's of Casey's in Limerick Peter should be more ashamed and embarrassed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,823 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    So you’re saying the president only gets to spend a portion of the €317,000 annual extra as he pleases. What portion would that be? 10%, 20%? Or do you know?

We know the 'presidents' can spend some of it on their own pet projects, just as any Minster can spend money. It would go through the usual channels government money goes to pay for things but the money isn't in a wallet in their handbag or arse pocket.

I fully agree that it is a disgrace that the money hasn't been audited. But that isn't carried out by the president either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I am not saying anything, I seen the deleted posts, I know what people are desperate to get out there.

Far as I know, Michael D hasn't been questioned on his private life.

And I think that is how it should remain. We don’t want to get into a UK tabloid situation where the private lives of politicians are scrutinised and sensationalized weekly.

There is no tradition of the media in Ireland questioning politicians about their private lives and I for one think that is a good thing.
    There are many things known by the media that are simply kept quiet. When have you ever read about an Irish political sex scandal? Never. Most of the country didn’t know Charlie Haughey had a mistress until she appeared on the Late Late. Other incidents have been brushed over by “arrangement”.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He also made a generalisation that he would never want to live beside travelers and insisted that all the other candidates were lying when they disagreed. I'd call that an attack on travelers.

He said he wouldn't want to live beside Travellers, as in a camp site. Eh yeah, I'd wager most people wouldn't. I'd say you yourself really wouldn't. Give out about it if you want but you know you wouldn't fancy it and neither would your family. FWIW, I thought they were all telling porkies too and that rubs me up the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

There is other family's of Casey's in Limerick Peter should be more ashamed and embarrassed of.

Yeah, nearly got a smack off one of them a few years ago for asking him to pay for something he was stealing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭sonic85

elperello wrote: »
    Security and logistics are not a red herring.
    Getting the head of State to his destination safely and home again in one piece is an operation entirely depending on security and logistics.

I did mention the training aspect as well as the hours.
    Having real operational experience within our own country is important.

I agree that it is only minor enough in the grand scheme.

Ah come on now he's going to Kerry and Belfast he's not walking down through downtown Detroit at one in the morning. A trip to Kerry would need very little security and the PSNI would provide security for him up North. Like I said he just didn't want to go by car. I'm sure the crew are training all the time outside ferrying MDH around - theyre not waiting for the latest 20 minute trip to Belfast to get experience.

If you have no issue with it that's fine but it annoys the hell out of me TBH. I expect more from those in power - especially when they are constantly preaching to us little folk how we should live our lives.

Anyway I'm out.

Omackeral wrote: »
    He said he wouldn't want to live beside Travellers, as in a camp site. Eh yeah, I'd wager most people wouldn't. I'd say you yourself really wouldn't. Give out about it if you want but you know you wouldn't fancy it and neither would your family. FWIW, I thought they were all telling porkies too and that rubs me up the wrong way.

Is that or is that not a generalised attack on travelers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭sonic85

Proper disingenuous - I'd nearly go as far to say downright liars the lot of them. That was the point I said I'd vote for Peter. If a halting site appeared next to any of their houses I'd say theyd be the first onto the guards and their local council to get it sorted. How they kept a straight face while saying it baffles me TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

sonic85 wrote: »
    Proper disingenuous - I'd nearly go as far to say downright liars the lot of them. That was the point I said I'd vote for Peter. If a halting site appeared next to any of their houses I'd say theyd be the first onto the guards and their local council to get it sorted. How they kept a straight face while saying it baffles me TBH

That's not exactly how its done politically, you see you must lodge and objection with the council ect stating that the facilities in your area would not suit them. At the same time you look down on anyone else that objects and call them racists.

All proper and above board like.

• Advertisement

MDH lives very close to a halting site (according to somebody here who lives near him) and has engaged with them throughout his political life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is that or is that not a generalised attack on travelers

It's saying you wouldn't want to live next to a Traveller site. Is saying you wouldn't wanna live next to a college dorm an attack on students?

More to the point, would you live next to a Traveller site or have an issue with a load of caravans pulling up outside your gaff?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Earlier on in the campaign didn't Peter Caseys mention about giving his salary to different charities every month or something? I didn't hear anything about it in the debates. Did he mention it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Ah come on now he's going to Kerry and Belfast he's not walking down through downtown Detroit at one in the morning. A trip to Kerry would need very little security and the PSNI would provide security for him up North. Like I said he just didn't want to go by car. I'm sure the crew are training all the time outside ferrying MDH around - theyre not waiting for the latest 20 minute trip to Belfast to get experience.

If you have no issue with it that's fine but it annoys the hell out of me TBH. I expect more from those in power - especially when they are constantly preaching to us little folk how we should live our lives.

Anyway I'm out.
    It is a tough trip driving to Kerry, fine you have the motorway down to Adare, passing through Adare is tedious most of the time, then down past Rathkale, which is now bypassed onto Abbeyfeale again slowd down, onto C, Island onto Tralee both bypassed, But add the return journey in, it is a tedious run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

MDH lives very close to a halting site (according to somebody here who lives near him) and has engaged with them throughout his political life.

Just a thought, but the amount you post on here Francie leads me to believe that you are more than one person posting and that you are spinning for MDH.
    You seem to know a lot about his expenses, his home/private life and are intent on attacking Casey at every opportunity,
    No polls in the last week of an election, unheard of previously, looks like you are running scared of Casey and just how well he might actually be doing

Anyway, have to get to bed now, work tomorrow and today was a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Which of his 3 properties is near a halting site?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Just a thought, but the amount you post on here Francie leads me to believe that you are more than one person posting and that you are spinning for MDH.
    You seem to know a lot about his expenses, his home/private life and are intent on attacking Casey at every opportunity,
    No polls in the last week of an election, unheard of previously, looks like you are running scared of Casey and just how well he might actually be doing

Anyway, have to get to bed now, work tomorrow and today was a long day.

I see the conspiracy theories are being lined up to excuse in the event Casey doesn't do as expected. :)

I am delighted in one way, at least it isn't 'shinner bot' and 'Parnell Sq paying my wages'.

Or maybe I am just a mercenary, available to the highest bidder? Wonder would Casey have much spare cash lying around? :rolleyes:

BTW, small points of order yet again. I know nothing of MDH's expenses, I related my experience of dealing with the president's office under another president.
    And I only know he lives near a halting site because he said it on the first TV debate and another poster confirmed it. Both could have been lying about something easily checked I suppose.

And you are right - As a lifelong democrat, Casey as President scares the hell out of me, that is why I am passionately against him.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Which of his 3 properties is near a halting site?

No idea. Perhaps the original poster will reveal if they are still reading. Higgins said it himself as well by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

No idea. Perhaps the original poster will reveal if they are still reading. Higgins said it himself as well by the way.

Do you ever leave boards Francie?, you really need to take a break.

1 more sleep after tonight, and we might have a new man at the helm,
    Well how are we going to be voting in the Blasphemy, I am undecided on this one.
    I need help on my decision on the Blasphemy part of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭haley79

goat2 wrote: »
    1 more sleep after tonight, and we might have a new man at the helm,
    Well how are we going to be voting in the Blasphemy, I am undecided on this one.
    I need help on my decision on the Blasphemy part of this.

i wanted to retain the blasphemy law but i see Ali selim from clonskeagh mosk wants to keep it too
    whatever he wants i will vote the opposite

Excuse my ignorance
    Blasphemy means, slandering other religions, is this right

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Presumably Boards.ie and other online platforms are subject to tomorrow's moratorium so here goes..

A low turnout has to be a positive for Casey as from everything I can see online the only significant portion of voters who are truly exercised enough to really care about this election are his supporters - aside from the few stalker-ish type weirdos on here and Twitter who reply to everything supportive of anyone other than SF or Michael D.

I do wish the candidate was somebody more articulate and capable of putting across the views that are common amongst the average person I encounter but he has started something.

I spend the majority of my time between one of the ****tiest most sectarian places in the north, a working class town in Louth and a well to do area in South Dublin and I've yet to meet an intelligent informed person who's moral compass was accurately portrayed by the daily outrage in the media.

The only vote that will make a difference is a vote for Casey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭haley79

Presumably Boards.ie and other online platforms are subject to tomorrow's moratorium so here goes..

A low turnout has to be a positive for Casey as from everything I can see online the only significant portion of voters who are truly exercised enough to really care about this election are his supporters - aside from the few stalker-ish type weirdos on here and Twitter who reply to everything supportive of anyone other than SF or Michael D.

I do wish the candidate was somebody more articulate and capable of putting across the views that are common amongst the average person I encounter..

I spend the majority of my time between one of the ****tiest most sectarian places in the north, a working class town in Louth and a well to do area in South Dublin and I've yet to meet an intelligent informed person who's moral compass was accurately portrayed by the daily outrage in the media.

The only vote that will make a difference is a vote for Casey!

#caseynumber1

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Excuse my ignorance

It means saying things like “god is a bollix’.

Oops...

It's saying you wouldn't want to live next to a Traveller site. Is saying you wouldn't wanna live next to a college dorm an attack on students?

More to the point, would you live next to a Traveller site or have an issue with a load of caravans pulling up outside your gaff?

My opinion of living beside them is irrelevant.

You claimed Casey did not make an attack on travelers which I obviously think is bs.

Yes, I'd say that is a generalised attack on students if I said I wouldn't want to live beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Excuse my ignorance

No that is not right. You can’t slander a religion. You can slander a person. Removing blasphemy from the constitution means that one is free to make comment on or criticize a religion, which may cause offense. In other words ‘Free speech’. The Danish cartoons depicting Mohamed or indeed the Charlie Hebdo publications would likely never have happened here because of our blasphemy laws.

Its a while ago now since Peter Casey’s original remarks that Travellers were ‘basically people camped in someone else’s land’. Does he mean illegally camped? Even a cursary look at the CSO stats would show this not to be the case, so why say it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

haley79 wrote: »
    i wanted to retain the blasphemy law but i see Ali selim from clonskeagh mosk wants to keep it too
    whatever he wants i will vote the opposite

Nice to see you have a rational way of making decisions.

• Advertisement

No that is not right. You can’t slander a religion. You can slander a person. Removing blasphemy from the constitution means that one is free to make comment on or criticize a religion, which may cause offense. In other words ‘Free speech’. The Danish cartoons depicting Mohamed or indeed the Charlie Hebdo publications would likely never have happened here because of our blasphemy laws.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
    I had asked that of at least three people already verbally, and they did not know what it was all about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement