Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Its a while ago now since Peter Casey’s original remarks that Travellers were ‘basically people camped in someone else’s land’. Does he mean illegally camped? Even a cursary look at the CSO stats would show this not to be the case, so why say it?

The CSO has stats on who slept where last night? Please show us what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Its a while ago now since Peter Casey’s original remarks that Travellers were ‘basically people camped in someone else’s land’. Does he mean illegally camped? Even a cursary look at the CSO stats would show this not to be the case, so why say it?

It's not true, but there's lots of angry people that badly want it to be true.
    And some of them even prepared to vote for a spoofer on the basis of them saying it. So, all the incentive such a person would need. Look at the results: straight from sixth to second, if the bookies are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

goat2 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance
    Blasphemy means, slandering other religions, is this right

Quick google shows.
    the act or offence of speaking sacrilegiously about God or sacred things; profane talk.

And the constitution says
    the publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.

So saying Jesus, Mary and Fcuking Joseph would probably count.

The CSO has stats on who slept where last night? Please show us what you mean.

2016 census. Profile 8: Irish Travellers. Not seeing anything there to back up Casey’s remarks. Can you?

Grayson wrote: »
    Quick google shows.
    the act or offence of speaking sacrilegiously about God or sacred things; profane talk.

And the constitution says
    the publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.

So saying Jesus, Mary and Fcuking Joseph would probably count.

Potentially on the basis of the definition, but the constitution merely asserts that some sort of offence must exist, it required legislation to give effect to it. And the legislation doesn't in fact criminalise saying such things. The prosecution wouldn't be able to show lots of religious people were grossly offended by it, and furthermore, you'd argue that you didn't intend to give such offence, it's just that you'd hit your God-damned thumb with this Mary-fcuking hammer, and were a tad put out at the time.

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    It's not true, but there's lots of angry people that badly want it to be true.
    And some of them even prepared to vote for a spoofer on the basis of them saying it. So, all the incentive such a person would need. Look at the results: straight from sixth to second, if the bookies are correct.

To say that they camp on other people’s land is probably not very accurate. I’m not saying it doesn’t or has never happened but I doubt it is too common. It was an off-the-cuff response to a question that was sprung upon him. But I do think people understand the sentiment and where this comes from. They do after all camp on public lands. And that is common. And they do camp on lands provided to them by the state.

I wonder, how many Travellers have bought and live on their own land?

• alaimacerc wrote: »
    Potentially on the basis of the definition, but the constitution merely asserts that some sort of offence must exist, it required legislation to give effect to it. And the legislation doesn't in fact criminalise saying such things. The prosecution wouldn't be able to show lots of religious people were grossly offended by it, and furthermore, you'd argue that you didn't intend to give such offence, it's just that you'd hit your God-damned thumb with this Mary-fcuking hammer, and were a tad put out at the time.

Not gonna lie I’m gonna start saying God Damned (example) with a/this/that Mary fcuking (example). It’s too good

2016 census. Profile 8: Irish Travellers. Not seeing anything there to back up Casey’s remarks. Can you?

I see very little to describe where Travellers live. I see one paragraph:

“Where Travellers live
    Travellers were more urbanised than the general population with almost 8 in 10 (78.6%) living in cities or towns (of 1,500 or more), compared with 62.4% of the total population. Dublin city and suburbs had the largest number of Irish Travellers with 5,089 persons. This was followed by Galway city and suburbs with 1,598 persons and Cork city and suburbs with 1,222.

Among towns with 1,500 or more persons, Tuam had the highest number of Irish Travellers with 737 persons, followed by Longford with 730 persons. Navan, Mullingar, Dundalk and Ballinasloe all had 500 or more Irish Travellers in 2016. ”

That doesn’t tell us much. Unless I am missing any more information in the census?

Not gonna lie I’m gonna start saying God Damned (example) with a/this/that Mary fcuking (example). It’s too good

You're most welcome. And remember to vote early, vote often, just in case I'm wildly wrong about what's criminal blasphemy!

• alaimacerc wrote: »
    You're most welcome. And remember to vote early, vote often, just in case I'm wildly wrong about what's criminal blasphemy!

I don’t vote cos I’m too lazy to register :pac: but I don’t think any god damned constitution is gonna Mary fcuking stop me saying it

• Advertisement

I see very little to describe where Travellers live. I see one paragraph:

“Where Travellers live
    Travellers were more urbanised than the general population with almost 8 in 10 (78.6%) living in cities or towns (of 1,500 or more), compared with 62.4% of the total population. Dublin city and suburbs had the largest number of Irish Travellers with 5,089 persons. This was followed by Galway city and suburbs with 1,598 persons and Cork city and suburbs with 1,222.

Among towns with 1,500 or more persons, Tuam had the highest number of Irish Travellers with 737 persons, followed by Longford with 730 persons. Navan, Mullingar, Dundalk and Ballinasloe all had 500 or more Irish Travellers in 2016. ”

That doesn’t tell us much. Unless I am missing any more information in the census?

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8itseah/

See sections for accommodation type and nature of occupancy.

To say that they camp on other people’s land is probably not very accurate. I’m not saying it doesn’t or has never happened but I doubt it is too common. It was an off-the-cuff response to a question that was sprung upon him.
    I didn't hear the full interview, but the context seems to have been him warming to his theme of scoffing incredulously at the ethnic group recognition. Having brought it up apropos nothing. So the springing seems to basically have been done by the thoughts in his head...

I wonder how many are in a financial position to? This talk all gets horribly circular. People don't want to hear about Travellers being a disadvantaged group, they want to fulminate about one thing or another. That almost always relates back pretty directly to... them being a disadvantaged group. And people's resentment of doing anything to address that. That's a cycle that'll have to be broken sometime, but it'll likely be a long time happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

To say that they camp on other people’s land is probably not very accurate. I’m not saying it doesn’t or has never happened but I doubt it is too common. It was an off-the-cuff response to a question that was sprung upon him. But I do think people understand the sentiment and where this comes from. They do after all camp on public lands. And that is common. And they do camp on lands provided to them by the state.

The travellers have bought up an entire town in Rathkeale.
    Limerick residents will come out in their hordes to vote for Peter Casey. This part of the country suffers a lot with traveller behaviour.
    I dont think the Dublin media have sny grasp of the fear rural people have of travellers using the M50 to target remote areas. They are tipped off by local travellers as to where pickings might be and where the most vulnerable live.
    Its cowardly thuggish behaviour and neither the Gardai nor theCourts system can deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

tretorn wrote: »
    The travellers have bought up an entire town in Rathkeale.
    Limerick residents will come out in their hordes to vote for Peter Casey. This part of the country suffers a lot with traveller behaviour.
    I dont think the Dublin media have sny grasp of the fear rural people have of travellers using the M50 to target remote areas. They are tipped off by local travellers as to where pickings might be and where the most vulnerable live.
    Its cowardly thuggish behaviour and neither the Gardai nor theCourts system can deal with it.

They need to be culled like wild pigs. No good in any of them only a burden to the working class and the welfare and the court system. How many videos are going around of the inbred pigs flashing off hundreds of thousands of euros. Vote Casey for change. These pigs need to be stopped, and taking their handouts that we pay for would be an excellent Start.
    Mod Note:Already sanctioned for this but it's not appearing on this post.

Thanks for the reports,

Buford T. Justice

They need to be culled like wild pigs. No good in any of them only a burden to the working class and the welfare and the court system. How many videos are going around of the inbred pigs flashing off hundreds of thousands of euros. Vote Casey for change. These pigs need to be stopped, and taking their handouts that we pay for would be an excellent Start.

What do you think Casey, as president of Ireland will do about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

bubblypop wrote: »
    What do you think Casey, as president of Ireland will do about this?

What do you think any of them will do about anything?

What has the current one done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I didn't hear the full interview, but the context seems to have been him warming to his theme of scoffing incredulously at the ethnic group recognition. Having brought it up apropos nothing. So the springing seems to basically have been done by the thoughts in his head...

I wonder how many are in a financial position to? This talk all gets horribly circular. People don't want to hear about Travellers being a disadvantaged group, they want to fulminate about one thing or another. That almost always relates back pretty directly to... them being a disadvantaged group. And people's resentment of doing anything to address that. That's a cycle that'll have to be broken sometime, but it'll likely be a long time happening.

I don't know about you but I have never once thought of travellers as being financially disadvantaged. There's 3 large halting sites in the town near me and there's new vehicles parked outside each of them, even some 182 regs. Anytime there's a family occasion, a wedding or communion, there's no expense spared. Last year at communion time, a young traveller girl arrived late to the church in a horse drawn carriage, the carriage was literally like the carriage from Cinderella, like this but with glass all around the carriage part.

cinderella-carriage-pulled-by-geldalander-horses-bumble-and-spot-285605269.jpg

And the girl was wearing a dress and tiara which were covered in swarovski crystals.

If they pooled all the money they spend on communions, they'd probably cobble together enough money to buy some land.
    If they held back on buying a brand new 191 vehicle early next year, they'd definitely have enough money to buy some more land.
    I believe the reason why travellers like to stick with public land is because that way they can demand the council provides them with everything they need and they're not responsible (because we all know how much they hate responsibility) for where they live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yet another one of Casey's 'promises' shot out of the water. Easy targets in fairness.

https://twitter.com/DearbhailDibs/status/1055135014562738176

So he can’t resign?? Would he be kept in the Áras under duress and armed guard??

People, like myself, are more likely to remember travellers taking over local pitches, absolutely destroying them, demanding money to leave and leaving all their junk behind. Than looking at stats and deciding thinks are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

So he can’t resign?? Would he be kept in the Áras under duress and armed guard??

didnt mary robinson cut short her term ?

• Advertisement

I know of a piece of land that’s owned by a traveller. I say it was bought about 15 years ago. Has a small caravan and a couple of sheds on it but it doesn’t look to have been inhabited in the last few years.

Tools belonging to my dad and other local people were found at the property after a spate of robberies in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

For people that have backed Casey w/o Higgins. The odds are now up on Betfair. You can lay Casey at odds-on if you wanted to just get your stakes back and have a free bet (minus a point).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bahahaha.

This is the type Casey is appealing to. Don't use the r-word to trigger them mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

didnt mary robinson cut short her term ?

Yes, she got a better offer, so much for loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

pjohnson wrote: »
    Bahahaha.

This is the type Casey is appealing to. Don't use the r-word to trigger them mind.

You clearly never had any dealings with them. Bullying on your own property and being told that your place will be set on fire because you don't want to buy anything off them. They are the lowest of the low, scumbags. You ever have them camped down from your house? Scoping out your place all day to see when someone was home? I had a lad try sell me gates a few weeks ago. I said no. He got all in my face, then pulled out 10k in cash from his pockets and said that he didn't need money, driving a new 181 60k jeep. He's drawing your tax money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I think the wild pigs would be upset to be associated with them tbh

hawkelady wrote: »
    I think the wild pigs would be upset to be associated with them tbh

Finally we got to the crux of the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You clearly never had any dealings with them. Bullying on your own property and being told that your place will be set on fire because you don't want to buy anything off them. They are the lowest of the low, scumbags. You ever have them camped down from your house? Scoping out your place all day to see when someone was home? I had a lad try sell me gates a few weeks ago. I said no. He got all in my face, then pulled out 10k in cash from his pockets and said that he didn't need money, driving a new 181 60k jeep. He's drawing your tax money too.

I have. I just dont think Hitler-esque mass culling is the answer. But you keep thinking Casey can manage that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

You have in your hole.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    I have. I just dont think Hitler-esque mass culling is the answer. But you keep thinking Casey can manage that.

Hitler killed 6 million.

There are only 30,000 travellers, that’s more Obama-esque numbers. Maybe if Casey did it he’d get a plaza in Ireland named after himself too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement