Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

pjohnson wrote:
    I have. I just dont think Hitler-esque mass culling is the answer. But you keep thinking Casey can manage that.

You have in for hole. A sheltered life if anything you poor snowflakes have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

In many parts of the country traveller crime is the number one issue ...people will tolerate no jobs , poor broadband , poor roads etc but been afraid in your house every day has become people’s biggest issue , Casey is the first candidate to call out the traveller issue .
    The only thing against Casey is things are so bad in some rural areas many people are afraid to leave their houses in case their broken into while they travel to vote .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Hitler killed 6 million.

There are only 30,000 travellers, that’s more Obama numbers. Maybe if Casey did it he’d get a plaza in Ireland named after himself too.

It’s estimated as few as half of the traveller community filled in the last census so 60,000 would be a far more accurate figure .

Any census collector who hassled traveller family’s too much to fill in form was threatened and the guards weren’t interested in pursuing non compliance with most towns and villages having no guards anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

erica74 wrote: »
    I don't know about you but I have never once thought of travellers as being financially disadvantaged. There's 3 large halting sites in the town near me and there's new vehicles parked outside each of them, even some 182 regs. Anytime there's a family occasion, a wedding or communion, there's no expense spared. Last year at communion time, a young traveller girl arrived late to the church in a horse drawn carriage, the carriage was literally like the carriage from Cinderella, like this but with glass all around the carriage part.

cinderella-carriage-pulled-by-geldalander-horses-bumble-and-spot-285605269.jpg

And the girl was wearing a dress and tiara which were covered in swarovski crystals.

If they pooled all the money they spend on communions, they'd probably cobble together enough money to buy some land.
    If they held back on buying a brand new 191 vehicle early next year, they'd definitely have enough money to buy some more land.
    I believe the reason why travellers like to stick with public land is because that way they can demand the council provides them with everything they need and they're not responsible (because we all know how much they hate responsibility) for where they live.

Tis a bleedin joke.
    1. Was doing work for Clare Co Co last year. Got chatting to one of the clerk or works. House that was burnt down twice had full makeover again on semi halting site grounds. Same family moving back in. Boss lady went in for a look. Disgusted with the kitchen. Got her interior designer and demamded the kitchen of her choice and started playing the intimidation of the lower classes cards with council. She was going to get the "medjia" involved...and sure enough she got her new kitchen which was fit for the Aras itself and a fine kitchen thrown in the skip.
    2. Was in a shop in Charlestown Co Mayo a few weeks back. We pulled up for the grub at 12.
    Car load of "out nice friends" pulled up outside in their PJs. They started having a pretend row in the forecourt. Roaring and shouting. The shop wasnt long clearing. One "lady" started filling car with diesel. The other "ladies" went in and out of the shop roaring and shouting at each other. They came out with stuff from the shop and as they were "fighting" handed over goods to each other. This lasted 5 minutes. Went in and headwd to deli. Staff half scared and clearly upset and angry. Two rolls not paid for. Car filled with diesel for free. And to top it all off 3 apple tartlets and 2 buns with big bite marks taken out of them and put back on display.
    They are untouchable. The nice lady in the deli said it's not the first time. They have stopped ringing guards as they don't follow up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,612 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You have in for hole. A sheltered life if anything you poor snowflakes have.

You can experience Travellers without loosing any degree of decency you may have had. Obviously not you or others mind but some can. If you solution to a problem is "kill it" you have issues young internet warrior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Casey now 16/1 ftw

10/11 in betting without mdh, Gallagher is 6/4

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

10/11 is still fantastic ads I would have thought?

That with PP?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8itseah/

See sections for accommodation type and nature of occupancy.

Thank you for that.

Some interesting statistics.

"Just 13.3 per cent of Traveller females were educated to upper secondary or above compared with 69.1 per cent of the general population"

"Among females 972 were at work while 2,938 were looking after the home, representing 30.4 per cent of Traveller women aged 15 or over."

The misogynist nature of Traveller culture that prevents women from being educated and confines them to the home is clearly outlined in the statistics. That is not racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

hurler32 wrote: »
    It’s estimated as few as half of the traveller community filled in the last census so 60,000 would be a far more accurate figure .

The social welfare figures for them would be the most accurate. They ain't missing out on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,823 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Thank you for that.

Some interesting statistics.

"Just 13.3 per cent of Traveller females were educated to upper secondary or above compared with 69.1 per cent of the general population"

"Among females 972 were at work while 2,938 were looking after the home, representing 30.4 per cent of Traveller women aged 15 or over."

The misogynist nature of Traveller culture that prevents women from being educated and confines them to the home is clearly outlined in the statistics. That is not racist.

He didn't say that.

Try the stats covering where travellers camp or live and see can spin those for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I see the Travellers are having an event at the garden of remembrance on Saturday. I do hope no opportunistic burglary of their homes occurs. Terrible thing to deal with, been in that situation 3 times myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He didn't say that.

Try the stats covering where travellers camp or live and see can spin those for him.

"Of the 6,016 Irish Traveller households who were renting their home, the majority (65.5%) were renting from a local authority, an increase from 3,317 to 3,938 households. "

This one? When you add in those living in caravans to those living in accommodation rented from local authorities, you are getting to around 60% of traveller accommodation.

The other interesting part of the statistics was the decrease of 18% in those renting from private landlords. Why did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The amazing thing is that official Ireland, the establishment, politicians, the media were all content for the traveller issue not to be highlighted. Despite being the most highly sudsidised group in Irish society their outcomes re life expectancy, imprisonment, mental health and education are abysmal. Current policies are clearly not working but politicians and the presidential candidates are happy to have these issues ignored.

Matt Cooper even asked Casey last night if he was right to highlight the issue. It shows how out of touch official Ireland is.

Casey may benefit the traveling community in the long run by pointing out that the current approach is not working.

Other vulnerable groups in Irish society have faced discrimination such as people with disabilities and homosexuals without being massively over represented in prison numbers.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

"Of the 6,016 Irish Traveller households who were renting their home, the majority (65.5%) were renting from a local authority, an increase from 3,317 to 3,938 households. "

This one? When you add in those living in caravans to those living in accommodation rented from local authorities, you are getting to around 60% of traveller accommodation.

The other interesting part of the statistics was the decrease of 18% in those renting from private landlords. Why did that happen?

So somebody saying, 'basically they are just people camping on other people's land' is wholly wrong and is generalising.

I think somebody pronouncing on the issue of travellers here (or any issue for that matter really) while not knowing the info you are now quoting is all the evidence you need that their opinion was kneesjerk and dangerous to begin with.

It would be like somebody wading into a claim that the welfare state was unfair without knowing what the basic rates of welfare were...That would never happen would it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

It's quite disturbing how there are those out there criticising many of us who refuse to deem/recognise travellers as of separate ethnicity or race in Ireland (therefore awarding special status), when quite clearly it is not the case and the 'settled' native folks can trace ourselves at least as far back in time in terms of ancestry on the island. This is completely different to the scenario in Australia or North America.

I think equality is what we want, which I thought was what the far left wanted, but it seems not. It seems they are openly against any criticism of other ways of life here unless you happen to be a settled, native, Christian person. Let's face it, many of us don't trust travelers on or near our property and that's hardly our fault. It is simply based on evidence-based reputation and the instinct to protect ones family and property. Different story nowadays if this were not the case. Therefore, they have a lot to answer for as well and frankly the people are tired of paying for the lifestyle of those who don't wish to contribute (not sweeping... Talking non-traveller alike (. Many travelers do work and contribute but most still don't and the lack of respect shown for the settled community makes it difficult to get past this point.
    Look, travelers have faced persecution in the past and it's regretful that happened, but like many situations the world over, we have to move past that and base it on the here and now. I'd love to not have to care about this and not notice it but the large-scale poor treatment of women, and animals etc. Makes it hard not to.
    One day, this might not be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

So somebody saying, 'basically they are just people camping on other people's land' is wholly wrong and is generalising.

I think somebody pronouncing on the issue of travellers here (or any issue for that matter really) while not knowing the info you are now quoting is all the evidence you need that their opinion was kneesjerk and dangerous to begin with.

It would be like somebody wading into a claim that the welfare state was unfair without knowing what the basic rates of welfare were...That would never happen would it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The welfare state is unfair. Sitting on your hole long term and getting €200 a week is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I see the Travellers are having an event at the garden of remembrance on Saturday. I do hope no opportunistic burglary of their homes occurs. Terrible thing to deal with, been in that situation 3 times myself.

Not a good idea to burglar a travellers home...
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-20-found-not-guilty-of-murdering-trespasser-with-half-a-garden-shears-36704432.html

Great to see someone, ironically a traveller, benefiting from the new law.
    Nally would approve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

You clearly never had any dealings with them. Bullying on your own property and being told that your place will be set on fire because you don't want to buy anything off them. They are the lowest of the low, scumbags. You ever have them camped down from your house? Scoping out your place all day to see when someone was home? I had a lad try sell me gates a few weeks ago. I said no. He got all in my face, then pulled out 10k in cash from his pockets and said that he didn't need money, driving a new 181 60k jeep. He's drawing your tax money too.

I don't think that poster is old enough to pay taxes.

jjmcclure wrote: »
    The welfare state is unfair. Sitting on your hole long term and getting €200 a week is a joke.

James O'Brien of LBC responding to Nigel Farage getting a massive payout from the EU puts it far more eloqently than I could.
    'Very easy to get cross about this. But, as with things like human rights legislation & even unemployment benefits, a functioning system that helps the deserving has to accommodate the tiny percentage of vile miscreants who abuse it. It’s an uncomfortable requirement of democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

18% decrease is probably because private landlords do not need the aggro from the neighbours around the rented property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

pjohnson wrote: »
    Bahahaha.

This is the type Casey is appealing to. Don't use the r-word to trigger them mind.

I wonder if you genuinely believe that. I agree with most of what Peter Casey said (I wish he hadn’t generalised) as much) but I think the views of the poster you quoted are disgusting.

That’s why people are afraid to talk about subjects like this openly. Say anything that contradicts the liberal status quo and you are branded a racist and a bigot.

People have genuine concerns but they are not being listened to. Talking down to large sections of society and branding them racist, biggotted, stupid, uneducated etc is why the West is in the situation we are in right now.

The media, political and upper middle classes have no interest in the everyday concerns of the great unwashed below them. It’s the reason why right wing populism is gaining so much traction throughout the Western world.

Roark wrote: »
    I wonder if you genuinely believe that. I agree with most of what Peter Casey said (I wish he hadn’t generalised) as much) but I think the views of the poster you quoted are disgusting.

That’s why people are afraid to talk about subjects like this openly. Say anything that contradicts the liberal status quo and you are branded a racist and a bigot.
    Can you synopsise 'most of what he said' for us?
    People have genuine concerns but they are not being listened to. Talking down to large sections of society and branding them racist, biggotted, stupid, uneducated etc is why the West is in the situation we are in right now.

The media, political and upper middle classes have no interest in the everyday concerns of the great unwashed below them. It’s the reason why right wing populism is gaining so much traction throughout the Western world.

The issues of travellers, welfare and broadband are not discussed in the Irish media??????

Ha ha that's classic. Have you missed the conversation about homelessness? There is one happening on our national broadcaster right now. Minister v A homelessness campaigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think there is a reason why travellers are so brutal in their attacks on the elderly and aggressively in your face when they land into farmyards and that is not just to intimidate the victim in front of them but to terrorize a whole community. It is a form of terrorism. Word and fear spreads and eventually everyone gives into them, pays up or looks the other way rather than take them on. Now like any personal or societal problem, you first have to admit the problem before you can do anything about it. However even though the whole country ie individuals know what's going on, official Ireland imo will not openly admit it. This is clear from the reaction of politicians, media and the other candidates to Peter Casey's remarks. It's a problem that dares not speak it's name. Our very Taoiseach told us to not vote for someone who dared mention them and the media are beside themselves since. Far better to go on pretending. So I am voting for Peter Casey as my way of acknowledging the fear of people in rural Ireland especially old, frail people who are terrified in their own homes, people who are bringing no trouble to travellers whatsoever but having traveller brutality enforced on them. I don't care who wins, as far as I'm concerned it's a job where you smile and charm at happy clappy events. But for the real people, life goes on and I can't think of a better way to use my vote than to say to them - I hear you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I live not far from that filling station in Charlestown. This incident is the tip of a very large iceberg. I work in retail and, I'm not joking here, 100% of ALL incidents such ad criminal damage, shop lifting, harassment is carried out by travellers. Just yesterday, I had a major row with one of these ethnic entitled because he was unable to read the instructions of a heater he bought, so wanted his money back plus the heater because we would not put it together. He then threatened the staff until I stepped in and walked him out the door. Those of you who live in sheltered urban areas, bubbles like Dublin, and who refuse to see the massive social problem we have with this extended family, because let's face it, that's all they are, are completely ignorant to the horrid cloud of fear and intimidation travellers create in rural Ireland. I too was ignorant of the situation until I moved West and experienced it for myself. Yes, the presidential election has nothing to do with travellers, but we are going to use it as a very large flashlight to illuminate this dark section of our society. We are all in for a surprise on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not a good idea to burglar a travellers home...
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-20-found-not-guilty-of-murdering-trespasser-with-half-a-garden-shears-36704432.html

Great to see someone, ironically a traveller, benefiting from the new law.
    Nally would approve

On that article, the two surnames aren't surnames I'd have immediately profiled as traveller surnames, Keenan/Mooney.

I wonder at what point did the Keenan and Mooneys ancestors decide to split off from the rest of the Mooneys and Keenans and decide to become members of an ethnic minority?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

Can you synopsise 'most of what he said' for us?

The issues of travellers, welfare and broadband are not discussed in the Irish media??????

Ha ha that's classic. Have you missed the conversation about homelessness? There is one happening on our national broadcaster right now. Minister v A homelessness campaigner.

This topic of this thread is about the comments he made about Travellers, not welfare or broadband.

What he said about Travellers has been quoted and summarized numerous times throughout the thread. I agree with all of it except the part where he said that Travellers were basically people who were camping on peoples land. I’m glad he highlighted some of the issues I don’t think he should have generalized as much as he did.

Please don’t expect a reply. I don’t post much and I’m at work atm so that’s it from me for now.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    It's a problem that dares not speak it's name.

Apparently it is - Casey didn't mention it until he couldn't get past 2% in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"An exhausting shambles" was the phrase used by Nicola Anderson in yesterday's Indo to describe the final debate on VM1 last night. That's how I feel about the whole sorry episode. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

greenpilot wrote: »
    I live not far from that filling station in Charlestown. This incident is the tip of a very large iceberg. I work in retail and, I'm not joking here, 100% of ALL incidents such ad criminal damage, shop lifting, harassment is carried out by travellers. Just yesterday, I had a major row with one of these ethnic entitled because he was unable to read the instructions of a heater he bought, so wanted his money back plus the heater because we would not put it together. He then threatened the staff until I stepped in and walked him out the door. Those of you who live in sheltered urban areas, bubbles like Dublin, and who refuse to see the massive social problem we have with this extended family, because let's face it, that's all they are, are completely ignorant to the horrid cloud of fear and intimidation travellers create in rural Ireland. I too was ignorant of the situation until I moved West and experienced it for myself. Yes, the presidential election has nothing to do with travellers, but we are going to use it as a very large flashlight to illuminate this dark section of our society. We are all in for a surprise on Friday.
    You seem to think there arent travellers in Dublin.....I live beside Ballyfermot.....there are plenty.
    Voting for Peter Casey is going to change absolutely nothing on this issue, we are voting on a president.

I will be voting for Michael D, Peter Casey would be an absolute shambles and an embarassment as president, he doesnt seem to have a clue what the role involves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think there is a reason why travellers are so brutal in their attacks on the elderly and aggressively in your face when they land into farmyards and that is not just to intimidate the victim in front of them but to terrorize a whole community. It is a form of terrorism.

It is indeed a form of domestic terrorism.
    I posted a while back on the affects of a 'raid' by a gang of travelers on my elderly father's home. He felt so violated after they ransacked his home that he got bars installed on all the windows of his small house. In essence, he became a prisoner within his own home.
    My father was a hard worker who contributed to society all his life by paying taxes and volunteering and contributing to various unpaid groups in the community.

My father went from an independent man with self-confidence to an old man living in fear. He was never himself after this event and he died a year and a half after this 'raid'. The Guards had an elderly witness who could name these travelers (repeat offenders), but she would not testify due to intimidation and fear.

I will be voting for Peter Casey on Friday, but I will also not forget Leo Varadkar's and Fine Gael's attempt to silence a voice who had the audacity to stand up and speak out about this protected group. Whatever vote percentage that Peter Casey receives tomorrow could also be the % of people who will vote against Leo and his fellow liberals, who lied about helping the workers/contributors of Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement