Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ivan Yates scoffed at the very noble decision of MDHs office to release details of the audited accounts for his office after the election. Said (in his opinion) it left the possibility that his term in office would be "sullied" if any wastage or over extravagance was exposed.

I'd agree.

Can't help feeling that it's a rather cynical but very tactical move on their part.

If there's nothing to worry about, just publish the dam things weeks beforehand.

Yates also said it was a disgrace and shameful that Higgins couldn't be bothered to show up last night.

On his failure to show up last night, I just think him/his handlers/ Leo etc knew that Yates would take no prisoner's and tear him asunder.

That's my opinion, and I'll be sticking to it.

gmisk wrote: »
    You seem to think there arent travellers in Dublin.....I live beside Ballyfermot.....there are plenty.
    Voting for Sean Casey is going to change absolutely nothing on this issue, we are voting on a president.

I will be voting for Michael D, Sean Casey would be an absolute shambles and an embarassment as president, he doesnt seem to have a clue what the role involves.

Peter.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,822 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Roark wrote: »
    This topic of this thread is about the comments he made about Travellers, not welfare or broadband.

Can you synopsise what you think 'he said' about travellers then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

KevIRL wrote: »
    Casey now 16/1 ftw

10/11 in betting without mdh, Gallagher is 6/4

14/1 and 4/6 in betting without MDH now.
    What does Paddy power know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Apparently it is - Casey didn't mention it until he couldn't get past 2% in the polls.

I dont think Casey said it to garner votes.
    Languishing toward the rear of the field, short of all the other runners pulling up/unseating their jockey or doing a Devon Loch, he hadnt a hope.

He gave his honest thoughts on an topical issue, hithertofore heresy to voice an opinion other than the "correct" one. His thoughts however have resonated with a lot of people, sick to fcuk of the "correct" position, and all it entails/enables. And to be preached at by Varakar, pulpitlike, reminding us of our heretical thoughts, has emboldened even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

gmisk wrote: »
    Voting for Sean Casey is going to change absolutely nothing on this issue, we are voting on a president.

I genuinely believe it will change something on this issue. It will highlight the concern that the electorate have with regard to how travellers a treated by the state. Continual infantilization of the traveller community has only caused more misery to those living in the travelling community. Only via true equality will conditions improve for those women and children that live in the misogynistic travelling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Peter.

Just saying.
    Changed not had my coffee this am

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That snake varadkar. I’ll do anything to see him removed as Taoiseach and this Casey vote may feel the same. I’ll vote F*cking Ff before I’ll see thqt lying , leftie, liberal snake as Taoiseach again !

Ivan Yates scoffed at the very noble decision of MDHs office to release details of the audited accounts for his office after the election. Said (in his opinion) it left the possibility that his term in office would be "sullied" if any wastage or over extravagance was exposed.

I'd agree.

Can't help feeling that it's a rather cynical but very tactical move on their part.

If there's nothing to worry about, just publish the dam things weeks beforehand.

Yates also said it was a disgrace and shameful that Higgins couldn't be bothered to show up last night.

On his failure to show up last night, I just think him/his handlers/ Leo etc knew that Yates would take no prisoner's and tear him asunder.

That's my opinion, and I'll be sticking to it.

Just on the 'publishing' thing.

Why would a single candidate publish expenses that would damage his campaign or be expected to? We are all agreed there has been massive waste by government in running this branch of the state and that audit is required. MDH agrees with this too.

What is required here is an audit and publishing of all presidencies expenses and costs...if we are to be fair. And it isn't fair that one president's spending of this money is made available during his campaign.

Or are you accusing just MDH of possible wrongdoing?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

So somebody saying, 'basically they are just people camping on other people's land' is wholly wrong and is generalising.

I think somebody pronouncing on the issue of travellers here (or any issue for that matter really) while not knowing the info you are now quoting is all the evidence you need that their opinion was kneesjerk and dangerous to begin with.

It would be like somebody wading into a claim that the welfare state was unfair without knowing what the basic rates of welfare were...That would never happen would it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do the Census data capture stats on the nomadic Travellers? I doubt it. You must have a fixed abode to complete a census form. Census 2016 shows a population of 30,000. But we all know that figure is higher. Anywhere between 40,000 to 60,000 gets bandied about. If you can’t infer a basic truth from that then you’ll never be convinced of anything you didn’t already believe.

• Advertisement

JMNolan wrote: »
    I genuinely believe it will change something on this issue. It will highlight the concern that the electorate have with regard to how travellers a treated by the state. Continual infantilization of the traveller community has only caused more misery to those living in the travelling community. Only via true equality will conditions improve for those women and children that live in the misogynistic travelling community.
    I think Casey going from 2% to say 15% would send a message on that point you are right, and bringing up this issue (btw I agree with him on it broadly - he is in no way racist and it is bizarre to say he is) would IMO be the only reason for that jump. But as for him being the next president....it will change nothing.

It is not because Casey would be in any shape and form a good president, his tone and tact and "facts" in the debates was all over the place he would be an embarassment.

I dont think Casey said it to garner votes.
    Languishing toward the rear of the field, short of all the other runners pulling up/unseating their jockey or doing a Devon Loch, he hadnt a hope.

He gave his honest thoughts on an topical issue, hithertofore heresy to voice an opinion other than the "correct" one. His thoughts however have resonated with a lot of people, sick to fcuk of the "correct" position, and all it entails/enables. And to be preached at by Varakar, pulpitlike, reminding us of our heretical thoughts, has emboldened even more.

And then hightailed it down to a photo op at the one site and issue he could find that would enflame the most.

Yeh, pull t'other one on his 'honesty'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Idbatterim wrote: »
    That snake varadkar. I’ll do anything to see him removed as Taoiseach and this Casey vote may feel the same. I’ll vote F*cking Ff before I’ll see thqt lying , leftie, liberal snake as Taoiseach again !

If you think Leo is a leftie I'd say you're fairly right wing to be honest.

There is a reason why there are the mockups of him looking like thatcher...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

jjmcclure wrote: »
    The welfare state is unfair. Sitting on your hole long term and getting €200 a week is a joke.

stop voting in the same fecken governments that increase the dole and make more entitlements available then would be a start. voting for casey as president isnt going to fix it.

the lack of responsibility in this country is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He probably thinks LV is a "leftie" because he's gay and the son of an immigrant. He's also the leader of Fine Gael and a True Blue, about as "leftie" as Benito Mussolini. :pac::pac::pac:

Ideally he would form a party or join renua. There is obviously a reason he went for position of president though rather than the dail...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

It's a great day for Ireland tomorrow having this vote on whether travellers are taking the piss or not.
    There was no other reasonable way such a vote could be held so Casey is doing a great service here.
    Running for council or td wouldn't have been a national vote and any result in a council vote would have been portrayed as a hate pocket in rural backwater.
    This national high profile vote will be beyond question.
    The numbers will be very interesting.

Just on the 'publishing' thing.

Why would a single candidate publish expenses that would damage his campaign or be expected to? We are all agreed there has been massive waste by government in running this branch of the state and that audit is required. MDH agrees with this too.

What is required here is an audit and publishing of all presidencies expenses and costs...if we are to be fair. And it isn't fair that one president's spending of this money is made available during his campaign.

Or are you accusing just MDH of possible wrongdoing doing?

I'm accusing his office of probable wastage and over extravagance with public money, and deliberately holding it back until.

Think of it this way, if I was in court for something, I'd want my defence evidence shown before a jury made its decision.

Obviously if it was incriminating evidence, I'd be fine with it not being disclosed until afterwards.

Best analogy I can think of.

Isn’t he the one who taxes low income workers at fifty percent over a pittance and presides over the worldcass welfare state? That rewarded workers on e30,000 with less than a euro a week , while those who have never contributed received a fiver?

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Ideally he would form a party or join renua. There is obviously a reason he went for position of president though rather than the dail...
    Joining Renua would be a massive mistake (Unless he wants to go back to polling 2% or less), he also said he voted Yes on Marriage Equality and to Repeal the 8th (I think) so not sure how that would fit.

EDIT
    Actually he didnt say how he voted on repeal the 8th
    How did you vote in the Eighth Amendment referendum?

I’d rather not say: I never reveal who I vote for, or how I vote, and it should have no bearing anyway on my suitability as President of Ireland.

I'm accusing his office of probable wastage and over extravagance with public money, and deliberately holding it back until.

Think of it this way, if I was in court for something, I'd want my defence evidence shown before a jury made its decision.

Obviously if it was incriminating evidence, I'd be fine with it not being disclosed until afterwards.

Best analogy I can think of.

Just to be clear, you think this 'probable wastage and over extravagance with public money' only happened during Higgins presidency?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Absolutely nothing on the election on the rte.ie homepage

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

cruizer101 wrote: »
    14/1 and 4/6 in betting without MDH now.
    What does Paddy power know?

Amazing slide from 500/1 ftw and 100/1 in the betting w/o market in just over a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Apparently it is - Casey didn't mention it until he couldn't get past 2% in the polls. was asked about it on a podcast

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    Amazing slide from 500/1 ftw and 100/1 in the betting w/o market in just over a week

10/1 ftw and 8/15 in the betting without market

Just to be clear, you think this 'probable wastage and over extravagance with public money' only happened during Higgins presidency?

No, but this thread is about a candidate challenging his presidency.

Basic enough stuff I would have thought.

Also. Paddy Power has now Casey at 10/1 to win outright.

From 500-1 to 10-1 in a week. Don't they conduct their own internal polls on things like this?

FYP

Oh right, he just happened to be going to a random site in Tipp the next day?

You are aware of interviewers being given 'leading questions' by those who they are interviewing I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Actually, yes.

Bertie Ahern made clear that the allowance was increased and unaudited to support the work that Mary McAleese was doing in terms of reconciliation in the North. I would not agree that that was sufficient to leave it unaudited, but I can see the reasons why there wouldn't be an audited list of which unsavoury unionist character or "good republican" was being lobbied by McAleese.

However, Higgins cancelled the peace efforts of McAleese. Since then, nobody has any idea what he spends the money on.

Incidentally, your vote for Higgins is especially surprising as you have constantly criticised the "Dublin government" for what you see as them losing sight of what is happening in the North. Given that Higgins abolished one of the more important lines of communication in that regard, your vote for him is confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing on the election on the rte.ie homepage

There are some shenanigans afoot here..The result of this election will be interesting to say the least..:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement