Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,819 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No, he is just pointing out your creepiness.

Having a contrary opinion is 'creepy' now? Jesus the fix is really in with you guys. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

gmisk wrote: »
    meeja.jpg.877daea9982dc8e1ffdb52379f2923a4.jpg
    I like your hat by the way!

A very fitting meme because the liberal dogma now is reminiscent of the catholic dogma of the 1950s. Anyone who thinks differently to what is considered acceptable is condemned from the pulpit of TV and newspaper column. 95% or more of journalists in Ireland at engaged in group think and don’t reflect the views held by the population as a whole. Journalists themselves admit to this.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

That isnt a new thing though, Mary Mc Aleese stood unopposed in 2004....

Yeah but in this case they didn't get away with just having no election, largely because SF nominated a candidate and the ball got rolling.

I don't agree at all with the idea of just not having an election for cost or hassle saving reasons. It's a disservice to democracy and one that we did a lot here in local government for decades and look where that got us with unbelievably corrupt planning laws in some areas and no accountability in councils.

There's too much of a notion that "ah sure it's grand ..."

It's also a massive disservice to the office of president to do that.

I mean McAleese would likely have run a very strong campaign and won easily and reinvigorated her presidency but instead they just assumed that was the case anyway and let her wander into another 7 years unchallenged without mandate.

Yes it's a figure head role but this is a democratic system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Peter Casey has gone from 500/1 on Paddypower since he stirred the pot down to 10/1 (now 2nd favourite). Love him, hate him or nothing him, he's run a brilliant campaign of self promotion and made an otherwise incredibly dull presidential campaign very entertaining.

But look Michael D will still win because that's the herd mentality at work unfortunately.

I don't agree it's the herd mentality. He's genuinely been a very good president but as outlined above, I think this "ah sure the president's grand sure we won't bother standing a candidate" is absolute nonsense. This isn't a monarchy and the presidency, powerless and all as it might be, is the ultimate in democratic direct election of a national representative.

I genuinely think parties have a duty to democracy to actually run candidates.

• Advertisement

Peter Casey has gone from 500/1 on Paddypower since he stirred the pot down to 10/1 (now 2nd favourite). Love him, hate him or nothing him, he's run a brilliant campaign of self promotion and made an otherwise incredibly dull presidential campaign very entertaining.

But look Michael D will still win because that's the herd mentality at work unfortunately.

It will certainly be a brilliant illustration of what happens when you stir up untrammeled hate in an irresponsible and premeditated way. But the world has seen plenty examples of that, nothing new or original.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Like Paddy Hillery in 1983, and Sean T. O'Kelly in 1952. It's not unheard-of.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    A very fitting meme because the liberal dogma now is reminiscent of the catholic dogma of the 1950s. Anyone who thinks differently to what is considered acceptable is condemned from the pulpit of TV and newspaper column. 95% or more of journalists in Ireland at engaged in group think and don’t reflect the views held by the population as a whole. Journalists themselves admit to this.
    We raise up our aerials
    In the name of the father (on channel 4 later)

Look if your point is journalists in Ireland are in general on average more liberal than the majority of the population here you might have a point.
    But in fairness some of the less liberal ones get a massive platform and get to make a hell of a lot of noise (see the marriage referendum and repeal the 8th campaign on tv etc).

jimgoose wrote: »
    Like Paddy Hillery in 1983, and Sean T. O'Kelly in 1952. It's not unheard-of.

And the message that gave was "ah sure it's only the presidency. The auld retirement home up in the park. Sure why bother ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

It will certainly be a brilliant illustration of what happens when you stir up untrammeled hate in an irresponsible and premeditated way. But the world has seen plenty examples of that, nothing new or original.

Wanting equality for travellers is now seen as untrammeled hate? Yeah, I think you're on the wrong side of history, much like the KKK in the 50s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

EdgeCase wrote: »
    And the message that gave was "ah sure it's only the presidency. The auld retirement home up in the park. Sure why bother ..."

Um, yes, I expect so. It's not of enormous importance in the grander scheme of things, so when there's someone fairly decent in there there's a lot to be said for letting them at it, if they want a second term.

Jaysus I didn't hear one hateful word out of his mouth, heard pure entertainment alright :-)

But as I say, the brainwashed herd will win out in the end, sleep easy Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

The comparison between 50's catholic dogma and the current "liberal" dogma (I put it in quotes, as it is anything but liberal) is a very valid one.

Like 50's catholic dogma, the believers of today take what they are told and adhere to it slavishly and without question. They scorn and mock the unbelievers, and curse the godless Americans, British etc. The main newspapers, now as then, stick to the party line, and make no effort to question the holy word of the liberal priest caste. As in the 50's, those who are protected by the all-powerful elite can get away with anything, up to and including child abuse (Rotherham etc.), and anyone who questions the sacred lambs of liberalism, like those who raised questions about catholicism, can find themselves out of a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Also Patrick Hillery spent 14 years in the Aras from 1976 to 1990 without once having to go through an election campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Watching RTE 9 News and the silence all of a sudden on the Election happening in mere days is defaning..

I would have thought a Presidential candidate going from 1% to 32% of the vote in unofficial polls would have been newsworthy and worthy of further analysis and poll.

But no.. it seems a small few news media bosses know what's best for us to vote for.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

blinding wrote: »
    Casey has done a great service to democracy in Ireland .

Its not the Media and Political establishment that decide what TRUTH is .

We the Irish People decide what TRUTH is .

We the Irish people elect the politicians and buy the media (excluding RTE)
    Apart from RTE the media are business enterprises they set the narrative but also reflect the thinking of the people.

For example an phoblact was a paper supporting republican views but it never became mainstream, because there wasn't a "large enough market" for it.

If there was a market for a Fox news type media in Ireland that espoused a particular position, and there was enough support for that position then it would exist.

For all the complaining about Irish media, I think it is quite good.
    Nowhere near the type of dung the UK sun, and daily express for example produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Is there any official poll due today? I assume there can't be any released tomorrow?

JMNolan wrote: »
    Wanting equality for travellers is now seen as untrammeled hate? Yeah, I think you're on the wrong side of history, much like the KKK in the 50s.

Dear lord. This takes the biscuit. It really does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Francie, just for clarity.

Casey said he was accused of being divisive, he said he wasn't being divisive, on the contrary, he was pointing out divisions that where already there and was calling for equality.....

"Did a light really need to be shone on it though?" Asked cooper....

Jesus wept.

Jaysus I didn't hear one hateful word out of his mouth, heard pure entertainment alright :-)

But as I say, the brainwashed herd will win out in the end, sleep easy Francie.

Seriously, what part of 'stirring up hate' is the problem here? Do you understand the concept of 'incitement'?

Sometimes I do seriously wonder about the interpretation skills on display here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Dear lord. This takes the biscuit. It really does.

Can you form a sentence that coherently explains just why you believe asking for all people to be treated equally under all laws of the land is "racist" ?

I have read Casey's thoughts but you seem so vehement in your critique of it I would like to hear the rationale please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is there any official poll due today? I assume there can't be any released tomorrow?

No, the election coverage moratorium comes into effect in about an hour or so. I assume there will be an exit poll late tomorrow night after the polls have closed so there should be some clearer indication then of the likely outcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Decide for yourselves . Make sure you question the Media and Political Establishment . Their Truth may well not be the real Truth .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

We live in a dictatorship....
    Ran by the media!

No, the election coverage moratorium comes into effect in about an hour or so. I assume there will be an exit poll late tomorrow night after the polls have closed so there should be some clearer indication then of the likely outcome.

So, ten days of covering up any major poll movements and then an exit poll ?

Yay for the "impartial" meeja!

Poor aul Victoria G would have a thrommy if she saw that excuse for "journalism".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think this is hilarious posting and shows a huge lack of self awareness among those who post like this.

WE DEMAND THE RIGHT FOR CASEY TO SAY WHAT WE BELIEVE.....but we will do our best to shut down the opinions of others

I find it a prevalent lack in those who jump onto bandwagons tbh. Keep it up, grist to the mill, so to speak.

I was pointing out how inaccurate your post about Mary Mc Aleese and the hardening of unionist views was. You are welcome to express your opinion, even if it is stupid and wrong.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Seriously, what part of 'stirring up hate' is the problem here? Do you understand the concept of 'incitement'?

Sometimes I do seriously wonder about the interpretation skills on display here.

Ah sorry Fancie, I'm just not as intelligent as you, maybe you can explain it to me.

I just see a man (Peter Casey) telling the truth and climbing the polls, what have I missed?

I was pointing out how inaccurate your post about Mary Mc Aleese and the hardening of unionist views was. You are welcome to express your opinion, even if it is stupid and wrong.

Enter the simple search term 'Unionists and Mary McAleese' in google and you will see it is not inaccurate to say what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

To me this is not about whether Casey is elected Prez or not, it is his impact on the race, and the fact that he has shone a light onto our totally compliant media who will not step outside the consensus box. Same happened with Margaret Cash, media compliant, not a bad word said about her. Not a good word said about Casey. Hmm.

And no poll results this week either, I wonder why that is? The polling companies are on contract to those who engage them, but if the media conspire not to publish the results, I understand that there is a confidentiality agreement in place that ensures the polling companies cannot reveal any information about this.

Most people are delighted that Casey has spoken out on this. You can see that in the betting odds right now.

I think the second preferences to Casey will give a far better indication of the mood of the electorate. Most people will hold their nose and give MDH no. 1, but many of those people will give no 2 to Casey who would not have even considered him a runner up to now.

• Advertisement

Enter the simple search term 'Unionists and Mary McAleese' in google and you will see it is not inaccurate to say what I did.

I'll take the answer to my simple question now please also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement