Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

100,000 polish in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Where was Casey during the last 10 years? USA I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Casey doesn’t seem to realise he’s running for the Presidency. If he wants to effect social change or go after a certain group, he should stand for the Dail.

Pure gob****e.

I'd say that's his next move. Probably just testing the waters at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

The lad is dead right and fair play to him for saying it as it is.

He will get my vote as a result.

The situation in Thurles is a complete joke, 1.5 million invested in houses for travelers and these people want stables as well!!

What I would do is give those houses those who deserve them and tell the travelers to go take a running jump at themselves.

At long last we have someone who is not afraid to put their head over the parapet and say it as it is.

Well done President Casey.
    he hasn't a snowballs hope in hell of becoming president and he knows it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

elperello wrote: »
    I posted earlier but had to do some work so I haven't been able to follow the debate.

Amazing to see after 20 more pages of comment the penny still hasn't dropped.
    You are still rushing up a blind alley that has nothing to do with the Presidency.

Even if by some fluke Casey got elected the traveler situation would be the same as it is today.
    The same policies would be in place.

I disagree. I think this person has opened up debate and made it OK to question certain things in our society. It doesn't matter whether he gets elected or not, he is a hero in my eyes for having the cojones to even mention the Traveller word in his campaign.

That actually takes a lot of guts. And look at the response, mostly positive.

Great to see the SJW/PC crowd having a conniption. About bloody time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jimgoose wrote: »
    I shifted a Ward Sister one time when I was a youngfella. That any good to you? :D

Jaysus, I hope whatever you were hospitalised for wasn't too infectious :cool: #nurses ftw

JMNolan wrote: »
    Are travellers prevented from buying land? Can they not buy land and put their caravans there?

That's been tried in the UK (similar planning laws to here) and needs the same planning permissions etc. as if a local authority were to do it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Casey doesn’t seem to realise he’s running for the Presidency. If he wants to effect social change or go after a certain group, he should stand for the Dail.

Pure gob****e.

He’s a legend for what he said and will garner a lot more votes for speaking the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Debtocracy wrote: »
    Was watching a video lately about the economic cycle of boom and bust. We’re in the phase where inequality is reaching a peak as asset prices grow much stronger than wages - and the rich get way ahead of the average person. As a result, the average person gets resentful and starts projecting their anger towards easy targets – the poor, travellers and immigrants. Just look at the comments on a story today about a 12 year old Asian child born in Ireland who’s due to be deported.

I think it’s uncontroversial to suggest travellers need a bit of encouragement to get out working and break the entitlement culture. But the sentiment these days goes much stronger, it’s vitriolic and spiteful – just have to look at this thread and see examples – e.g., it’s travellers fault that they kill themselves. Also, people online blindly accept that Margaret Cash makes 50K based on one photo but can come up with 100 alternative theories why Salisbury was not the Russians.

It’s likely in one to two years that a recession will hit and people’s attitudes towards the poor will change as they become the poor. The ‘tough ****’, personal responsibility attitudes aren’t as comforting when you’re the one failing.

Your post is rubbish.

People hate these people because they contribute nothing and behave like animals simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Pure gob****e.

Have to agree with that. I lost the run of myself earlier when a public figure actually grew a pair and stated the same view the majority of people believe

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

vicwatson wrote: »

100,000 Polish working in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

polish what, the furniture:P

You see what I mean, you cannot even have a joke or a laugh anymore without either getting a yellow card or looking over your shoulder.

The Polish people here are dotes. They work hard, play hard and respect their community. Compare and contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Debtocracy wrote: »
    Was watching a video lately about the economic cycle of boom and bust. We’re in the phase where inequality is reaching a peak as asset prices grow much stronger than wages - and the rich get way ahead of the average person. As a result, the average person gets resentful and starts projecting their anger towards easy targets – the poor, travellers and immigrants. Just look at the comments on a story today about a 12 year old Asian child born in Ireland who’s due to be deported.

I think it’s uncontroversial to suggest travellers need a bit of encouragement to get out working and break the entitlement culture. But the sentiment these days goes much stronger, it’s vitriolic and spiteful – just have to look at this thread and see examples – e.g., it’s travellers fault that they kill themselves. Also, people online blindly accept that Margaret Cash makes 50K based on one photo but can come up with 100 alternative theories why Salisbury was not the Russians.

It’s likely in one to two years that a recession will hit and people’s attitudes towards the poor will change as they become the poor. The ‘tough ****’, personal responsibility attitudes aren’t as comforting when you’re the one failing.

True - most of the gob****es mouthing off on here have probably never met a traveller. They are just a convenient lightning rod for their hate and frustrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

His point about 'ethnic minority' status is fair. There's actually NO scientific evidence to back this up and it was rushed in. It's a total con.

Labour and Sinn Féin were advocating this ethnic status for some years.

Amazingly FG and FF agreed in recent times. Afaik there was minimum consultation with many of their local members.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Did he back down on the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Where was Casey during the last 10 years? USA I imagine

Putting out ****e music. That Saints and Sinners song is a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

naughtb4 wrote: »

Quite amazing how “official Ireland” has lined up to take kicks at him today.

He said earlier he has no intention of apologising.

He plans to visit the development in tipp tomorro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

KildareP wrote: »
    And Clinton had the election wrapped up with a very comfortable margin if you were to believe the opinion polls in the run-up to the US election. Nothing is certain until the ballot returns are confirmed.

Casey stands to get an uplift from protest votes because he's come out and said something that most are terrified to even approach, never mind discuss or share opinion on.

The reaction of the other candidates is perfect demonstration of that - straightaway they were outraged, branding him a racist, some kind of evil monster, someone who should be stripped of all credibility and removed from the race to the Aras simply for sharing an opinion.

Not one person has attempted to refute his points through debate, to rip apart his points and make them, and by connection him, look utterly laughably ridiculous against opposing arguments, instead every single one has tried to just have him simply silenced.

The overwhelming reaction today across TV, Radio and Social Media is near universal agreement with his statements which, to be honest, I don't think has ever come across with such resounding strength in any other election before. It is genuinely astounding. Which of the candidates is most out of touch with Irish society?

Worse, I suspect this reaction of absolute horror and condemnation will have the opposite desired effect of those opposing his views. And the harder the horror and condemnation is displayed, the stronger the potential for the protest vote to increase.

You don't convince people to come around to your way of thinking by ridiculing them, calling them names, trying to humiliate them or even making them afraid to share their view in the first place, you do it by allowing them to make their statements, listening to their views and then refuting their points by presenting solid, sound and compelling arguments such that their argument sounds ridiculous and illogical in comparison.
    And Clinton had the election wrapped up with a very comfortable margin if you were to believe the opinion polls in the run-up to the US election. Nothing is certain until the ballot returns are confirmed.

Was Clinton ever 64% ahead of Trump in the polls? We also don't have the undemocratic electoral college system, so your comparison is misguided nay utterly irrelevant. Even if MDH were to collapse PC certainly will not be the next President of Ireland which is very welcome.
    Casey stands to get an uplift from protest votes because he's come out and said something that most are terrified to even approach, never mind discuss or share opinion on.

Casey may get an uplift from some people, I dare say that reflects those people than any thing positive about Casey's remarks. Remember Trump thought it fine to brag about grabbing 'Pussy' some people might think that's fine, not me. Secondly Casey is playing games, the campaign is over for him and he's decided to throw a few grenades in and he's using Travellers in this instance, his comments are in the main wrong, in the main inaccurate, generalised but most of all they are cowardly, a millionaire businessman dumping on significant sections of the most underprivileged sections of Irish society. If you're on board with that, knock yourself out.
    The reaction of the other candidates is perfect demonstration of that - straightaway they were outraged, branding him a racist, some kind of evil monster, someone who should be stripped of all credibility and removed from the race to the Aras simply for sharing an opinion.

Can you produce the evidence that the other candidates branded him a 'racist' and that he should be removed from the race?
    Not one person has attempted to refute his points through debate, to rip apart his points and make them, and by connection him, look utterly laughably ridiculous against opposing arguments, instead every single one has tried to just have him simply silenced.

There have been points made to refute the clown, Higgins did some of it on MI today.
    Which of the candidates is most out of touch with Irish society?

Oh I don't know, the one on 1-2% of the vote in the polls, which is.....I'll let you finish that sentence.
    Worse, I suspect this reaction of absolute horror and condemnation will have the opposite desired effect of those opposing his views. And the harder the horror and condemnation is displayed, the stronger the potential for the protest vote to increase.

Utter boll!x, if you honestly think that Travellers are the biggest issue that will decide people's vote, you're more out of touch than Casey.
    You don't convince people to come around to your way of thinking by ridiculing them, calling them names, trying to humiliate them or even making them afraid to share their view in the first place, you do it by allowing them to make their statements, listening to their views and then refuting their points by presenting solid, sound and compelling arguments such that their argument sounds ridiculous and illogical in comparison.

Why didn't Casey do that too. He's visiting Tipperary tomorrow to those houses at the center of a dispute to highlight his anti Traveller attitude. Why doesn't he also visit decrepit halting sites, why doesn't he condemn the lack of restoration to Traveller support grants that were disproportionately cut during the austerity years, nah that would actually be brave and bravery is not something that Casey will ever be accused of.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,537 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do think the traveller issue in Ireland is very interesting.
    I know years ago from speaking to relatives with farmers. They'd have hired a traveller to do an odd job now they'd also admit to you there was the odd rogue one but people felt sorry for them.
    However at some point people's interaction around travellers. Now they won't buy from travellers at the door or hire them to do a job. If I ask why the main answer is they've being or people they know have being badly stung in the past and I know people in rural areas who'd be afraid of travellers.
    If I compared this to other minority groups.
    They'd have being very down on gay people in the past but now they don't bat an eye lid. They've no problem if the doctor was gay or ran the local cake shop or with gay people on TV and would have supported gay marriage.
    Also take people from other counties/different colored skin. When the Eastern Europeans first came to Ireland in the early 2000's there was a stigma towards them but now people happily hire them for odd jobs/servicing there car/etc and they've befriended them in the community.
    So, we are dealing with people who are open minded and will accept people but what is the issue wit travellers. Now I hear the odd line from John Connors saying he was treated terribly at school. In my experience the traveller kids were given the same opportunity as everybody else and they weren't sent to the corner but for some reason they all still left school when they were young. They government seems to doing a lot to integrate travellers in Ireland but it seems to be going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

naughtb4 wrote: »

Not one bit. Has my vote cemented.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Hoboo wrote: »

Fair fux to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

I disagree. I think this person has opened up debate and made it OK to question certain things in our society. It doesn't matter whether he gets elected or not, he is a hero in my eyes for having the cojones to even mention the Traveller word in his campaign.

That actually takes a lot of guts. And look at the response, mostly positive.

Great to see the SJW/PC crowd having a conniption. About bloody time.

A multi millionaire businessman dumping on some of the most impoverished and weak sections of Irish society...yeah real brave!!

His comments took no guts, they are as cowardly as one can get but I'm glad you've found someone to jerk yourself off too, enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

MFPM wrote: »
    There are numerous factors yet you didn't mention one instead you went back to travellers - now try again.

Factors that affect people from D1 or D4 going to prison or members of the traveler's ethnic community?

Typically people who end up in prison are poorly educated & criminality within their family.

But can you tell me why the travellers community makes up 1/5 of the prison population yet only accounts for .8% to .6% of the nations population.

We aren't doing anything to increase their rates of education. Without education nothing will change, especially if they are female, as their job within the community to pop out kids, keep the caravan clean and make dinner...This ethnic group are still living in the 60's

Ah so you're one of the 1-2% voting for him...enjoy that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I do think the traveller issue in Ireland is very interesting.
    I know years ago from speaking to relatives with farmers. They'd have hired a traveller to do an odd job now they'd also admit to you there was the odd rogue one but people felt sorry for them.
    However at some point people's interaction with travellers. Now they won't buy from travellers at the door or hire them to do a job. If I ask why the main answer is they've been or people they know have been badly stung in the past and I know people in rural areas who'd be afraid of travellers.
    If I compared this to other minority groups.
    They'd have to be very down on gay people in the past but now they don't bat an eyelid. They've no problem if the doctor was gay or ran the local cake shop or with gay people on TV and would have supported gay marriage.
    Also, take people from other counties/different coloured skin. When the Eastern Europeans first came to Ireland in the early 2000's there was a stigma towards them but now people happily hire them for odd jobs/servicing there car/etc and they've befriended them in the community.
    So, we are dealing with people who are open minded and will accept people but what is the issue with travellers. Now I hear the odd line from John Connors saying he was treated terribly at school. In my experience, the traveller kids were given the same opportunity as everybody else and they weren't sent to the corner but for some reason, they all still left school when they were young. The government seems to do a lot to integrate travellers in Ireland but it seems to be going backwards.

What people don't know they don't trust.
    Polish people have integrated here as for what people get up to in the bedroom nobody cares anymore.

Travellers only have themselves to blame and everybody and their dog knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A multi millionaire businessman dumping on some of the most impoverished and weak sections of Irish society.

Travellers?:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A multi millionaire businessman dumping on some of the most impoverished and weak sections of Irish society...yeah real brave!!

His comments took no guts, they are as cowardly as one can get but I'm glad you've found someone to jerk yourself off too, enjoy it while it lasts.

How are they some of the most impoverished and weak sections of Irish society?

Surely they're only as impoverished as any settled family on long term unemployment benefit. And "weak"? How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Will be interesting to see the opinion polls after this outburst today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Mine too.

Is there any chance we can organise a GoFundMe in his name for the victims of traveller criminality or a maybe a petition that says we back him. Anyone with any other ideas? The time of action is now on this or it'll cool down again. It's important that Casey knows that we stand by him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement