Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It will certainly be a brilliant illustration of what happens when you stir up untrammeled hate in an irresponsible and premeditated way. But the world has seen plenty examples of that, nothing new or original.

I think you're some sort of supremacist.

You expect us ordinary people to pay the chosen few an income and provide them with a house. You expect us to work hard so they can lay about all day and enjoy the fruits of our labour while taking, without fear of recrimination, from our property.

Enough is enough. We want equality. Nobody should get a free ride on our backs. The constitution of this country explicitly states all are born equal. That's all we want. We don't serve a monarchy and we won't serve your chosen few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

jimgoose wrote: »
    Like Paddy Hillery in 1983, and Sean T. O'Kelly in 1952. It's not unheard-of.

Paddy Hillery and Cearbhaill O'Dalaigh were also not voted in to office but selected and agreed by politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I think the second preferences to Casey will give a far better indication of the mood of the electorate. Most people will hold their nose and give MDH no. 1, but many of those people will give no 2 to Casey who would not have even considered him a runner up to now.

We won't get to see that though will we. Assuming mdh breaks 50% in the first count which he probably will we won't see the preferences.
    If people want to send a message it needs to be Casey no 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

cruizer101 wrote: »
    We won't get to see that though will we. Assuming mdh breaks 50% in the first count which he probably will we won't see the preferences.

Exactly how I'm voting! However a split of the other candidates all with a #2 for Casey could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,818 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I think you're some sort of supremacist.

You expect us ordinary people to pay the chosen few an income and provide them with a house. You expect us to work hard so they can lay about all day and enjoy the fruits of our labour while taking, without fear of recrimination, from our property.

Enough is enough. We want equality. Nobody should get a free ride on our backs. The constitution of this country explicitly states all are born equal. That's all we want. We don't serve a monarchy and we won't serve your chosen few.

And so yet another poster, intent on covering up a potential presidents factually wrong and generalised statement, completely invents a position for me.

I never said any of what you just claimed and nor did I imply it.

• Advertisement

And so yet another poster, intent on covering up a potential presidents factually wrong and generalised statement, completely invents a position for me.

I never said any of what you just claimed and nor did I imply it.

Care to reply any time soon with one sentence why asking for equality under all laws for all citizens is "racism" to you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

gmisk wrote: »
    We raise up our aerials
    In the name of the father (on channel 4 later)

Look if your point is journalists in Ireland are in general on average more liberal than the majority of the population here you might have a point.
    But in fairness some of the less liberal ones get a massive platform and get to make a hell of a lot of noise (see the marriage referendum and repeal the 8th campaign on tv etc).

You know that is because constitutionally both sides in a referendum campaign have to be given equal airtime don’t you?

Pick up the Irish Times or Independent and there are only a handful of journalists whose views are not homogeneously left wing. David Quinn, Ian O Doherty spring to mind. John waters was hounded out of the Irish Times because of his conservative views.

Here you have soft power at work. Hot Press magazines often highlights political inadequacies and corruption. Hot Press gives a ringing endorsement to Michael D’s re election campaign.
    Hot Press’ editor is Niall Stokes, a lifelong friend of Higgins, whom Higgins controversially appointed to a plum role following him fundraising for his election funds.

“His rockiest moment came after he appointed his pal, Niall Stokes, editor of Hot Press magazine, to chair the Independent Radio and Television Commission. When Stokes's name featured on forms for a fundraiser for Higgins, he had to fight off a vote of no confidence. Higgins said it was all a mistake. But it did no favours for a man once described as supposedly above all that fumbling about in greasy tills, to paraphrase WB Yeats.”

https://www.hotpress.com/culture/message-michael-d-higgins-next-president-22760210

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

cruizer101 wrote: »

Ooops hadn't thought of that, darn it!

But my no.1 will be going to Casey anyway. :P

Care to reply any time soon with one sentence why asking for equality under all laws for all citizens is "racism" to you ?

Firstly, he didn't ask for anything. He quite clearly said two things that have long ago been debunked.

He said the conferring SEMS on a community gave them more rights than ordinary citizens.
    It doesn't, a traveller does not have one single extra 'right' than you or me as a result of SEMS which was designed, like the GFA, that Casey says he was involved in, to foster inclusiveness and parity of esteem. Like SEMS, nobody only those with sinister motives, would be able to show that the GFA gave anyone 'extra' rights.

He aso claimed 'that travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land'.
    Wholly and factually wrong. Some travellers camp on other people's land.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ooops hadn't thought of that, darn it!

But my no.1 will be going to Casey anyway. :P

I doubt Higgins will get 50% of the vote first time around. There's a lot of people who don't really give a sh1te who the president is and agree with what Casey said. An awful lot of people.

I'll be honest. I'll vote for Casey.

• Advertisement

Firstly, he didn't ask for anything. He quite clearly said two things that have long ago been debunked.

He said the conferring SEMS on a community gave them more rights than ordinary citizens.
    It doesn't, a traveller does not have one single extra 'right' than you or me as a result of SEMS which was designed, like the GFA, that Casey says he was involved in, to foster inclusiveness and parity of esteem. Like SEMS, nobody only those with sinister motives, would be able to show that the GFA gave anyone 'extra' rights.

He aso claimed 'that travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land'.
    Wholly and factually wrong. Some travellers camp on other people's land.

So the answer to my question is a firm "no".

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Enter the simple search term 'Unionists and Mary McAleese' in google and you will see it is not inaccurate to say what I did.

This?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2018/0313/opinion/mary-mcaleese-has-become-more-and-more-a-champion-for-equality-468196.html

Or this, from a British perspective?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-15471325

Unionist relations with the republic have improved precisely because of the bridge building of people like Mary Mc Aleese and her husband.

She also had the courage to campaign for a yes vote in the marriage equality referendum while others in influential positions prefer to dishonestly lurk in the shadows to protect their chances of re election.

Undeterred, Mary and Martin McAleese reached out to unionists and loyalists hosting Twelfth of July garden parties at their official residence Aras an Uachtarain, and forging a close friendship with UDA leader Jackie McDonald.
    "I've never called her president, it's always been Mary, she insisted on that from day one," Mr McDonald said.
    "I was at her inauguration. When she invited me, I was more worried about her than myself, but she insisted I went down. Fair play to her, she took risks."
    Mr McDonald was also invited to the War Memorial Gardens in Dublin when the Queen went there to lay a wreath in honour of those who died in the Great War.
    He says the Queen's visit was a magic moment and one he will never forget.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

So the answer to my question is a firm "no".

Cheers.

Well done on proving the level of debating skills around here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I doubt Casey will win, but that doesn't matter, if he achieves a substantial vote, well the media cannot hide that fact anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

My opinion of living beside them is irrelevant.

Another question dodger. It's a simple yes or no. Amazing that people can't just answer.
    You claimed Casey did not make an attack on travelers which I obviously think is bs.

Obviously YOU do. However most people realise that criticism doesn't necessarily mean attack, especially when coupled with his quote that everyone is and should be equal.
    Yes, I'd say that is a generalised attack on students if I said I wouldn't want to live beside them.

Well then I think that's foolish and presumptuous. I wouldn't like to live along a motorway, does that equal a generalised attack on commuters?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I doubt Casey will win, but that doesn't matter, if he achieves a substantial vote, well the media cannot hide that fact anymore.

I'm sure they will find a way to explain away any Casey gains

Right wing, racist, bigots, lowest common denominator etc

blanch152 wrote: »
    "Of the 6,016 Irish Traveller households who were renting their home, the majority (65.5%) were renting from a local authority, an increase from 3,317 to 3,938 households. "

This one? When you add in those living in caravans to those living in accommodation rented from local authorities, you are getting to around 60% of traveller accommodation.

The other interesting part of the statistics was the decrease of 18% in those renting from private landlords. Why did that happen?

You more easily say that of the total of the 8,717 traveller households, some 7,762 of them are living in local authority rented housing, privately rented housing, plus housing provided by voluntary housing bodies, as well as houses actually owned by travellers. Pretty obvious that Casey’s statement that they are occupying someone else’s land is just wrong.

Gravelly wrote: »

Sigh...those aren't 'rights'. Do try and keep within the concepts being talked about.

Entitelments are not the same as rights.

There are many many people in this society who are entitled to more than me for various reasons. They are still 'equal' to me though.

No wonder Casey was so able to incite the hate he has incited. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Alt right and After Hours keyboard warriors only ones who are voting for Casey, he wont break 10% barrier, 7% Id say, look at marriage equality and abortion ref results, majority dont want the intolerant past back.

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    This?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2018/0313/opinion/mary-mcaleese-has-become-more-and-more-a-champion-for-equality-468196.html

Unionist relations with the republic have improved precisely because of the bridge building of people like Mary Mc Aleese and her husband.

She also had the courage to campaign for a yes vote in the marriage equality referendum while others in influential positions prefer to dishonestly lurk in the shadows to protect their chances of re election.

Undeterred, Mary and Martin McAleese reached out to unionists and loyalists hosting Twelfth of July garden parties at their official residence Aras an Uachtarain, and forging a close friendship with UDA leader Jackie McDonald.
    "I've never called her president, it's always been Mary, she insisted on that from day one," Mr McDonald said.
    "I was at her inauguration. When she invited me, I was more worried about her than myself, but she insisted I went down. Fair play to her, she took risks."
    Mr McDonald was also invited to the War Memorial Gardens in Dublin when the Queen went there to lay a wreath in honour of those who died in the Great War.

One swallow does not a summer make.

McAleese caused incredible controversy and difficulty when she let the Peace and Reconciliation guff slip.

If you googled that term I asked you to, you would have seen that not ignored it and cherrypicked out what you wanted to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,776 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

None of those examples were related to "rights"......
    They were mainly related to supporting a hugely disadvantaged and under-educated group of people.

A definition of rights for you.
    A right is the power or privilege to which one is justly entitled or a thing to which one has a just claim. Rights serve as rules of interaction between people, and, as such, they place constraints upon the actions of individuals or groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You more easily say that of the total of the 8,717 traveller households, some 7,762 of them are living in local authority rented housing, privately rented housing, plus housing provided by voluntary housing bodies, as well as houses actually owned by travellers. Pretty obvious that Casey’s statement that they are occupying someone else’s land is just wrong.

Well those other 955 certainly get about so, cos I see them all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    This?

She was my favourite president thus far,

Well those other 955 certainly get about so, cos I see them all over the place!
    Its all the same 955 people they are just putting on different hats, fake moustaches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

A vote of 20%+ for Casey would be a big kick in the stones for FG and FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

:D

So travellers getting free housing with space for animals, extra money on their "education", grants for simply being travellers, and having what passes for culture being propagandised and forced on children in school confers no extra rights upon them?

Riiiiiiight.

:D

So travellers getting free housing with space for animals, extra money on their "education", grants for simply being travellers, and having what passes for culture being propagandised and forced on children in school confers no extra rights upon them?

Riiiiiiight.
    Again........do you actually understand the definition of rights?
    It doesnt seem so.

A vote of 20%+ for Casey would be a big kick in the stones for FG and FF.

20% on the back of claims that he spoke about 'what everyone believes' would be an abject failure, both by him and those making the claim that 'everyone feels' like he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just switched on TV3 there (or Virgin) for a split second and they have Stephanie Preissener, who is supposedly gas and inspirational and woman of the hour all of a sudden for some reason, saying Casey launched an attack on an ethnic minority and that it's disgraceful. Can these head-in-the-sand assholes not read a quote?

Peter Casey said, and I quote, ''Everyone should be treated equally and that the State should not discriminate against anybody.''

Lying bastards. So right-on. Fcuk them all.

Ever see the puss on her the night she was on that talkshow of Brendan O'Connor (RTE and Indo darling) with George Hook.

She is an example of the modern take offense easily young wan.

hurler32 wrote: »

Can anyone answer why a scrot that fled the jurisdiction got part of the sentence suspended?

Likewise with those other scrots that attacked the Corcoran family in Tipperary.
    Wippee the judge handed down 12 and 14 year sentences and then suspended up to 4/5 years off them.
    One thing I am curious about, how many people have switched from Higgins to Casey? It seems a lot of those shouting the loudest for Casey, here at least, are people who clearly dislike Higgins and wouldn't have voted for him anyway.. so I'm wondering how to reassess the last official polls done to account for this

Would probably have voted for Higgins as best of bad lot, until Peter Casey spoke the truth and was attacked for it.

This was debated before here and no one, even the most ardent traveller supporters and travellers themselves, can really tell us what positive parts of the traveller culture will be taught to other children.

For all those thousands of travellers in 3rd level.:rolleyes:
    Department of education spends €70 million specifically on traveller projects

And yet their take up of education is shyte.
    Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government spent €42m on Traveller projects

Is that including the clean up costs of sites such as along the banks of the Dodder in Dublin ?
    Half a billion euro has been spent on providing Traveller accommodation, in some areas at an average cost of €400,000 per family.
    Department of Health and Children spent 9.3 million on traveller projects[/URL]

No extra rights indeed.

Complete joke and waste of money.

I am not allowed discuss …

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement