Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Casey Number 1

We the people decide what Truth is , not the Political and Media establishment .

Casey Number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,818 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Gravelly wrote: »
    :D

So travellers getting free housing with space for animals, extra money on their "education", grants for simply being travellers, and having what passes for culture being propagandised and forced on children in school confers no extra rights upon them?

Now you are getting it. If you as a member of society needed the same aids, you too would get them or be entitled to them.

As I said earlier when debunking this 'rights' nonsesne, if the guy next door is entitled to a medical card and I am not, it does not make him more or less equal than me.

It is typical of a deficient understanding of the constitution and our democracy to continue to make this erroneous claim to scaremonger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I doubt Higgins will get 50% of the vote first time around. There's a lot of people who don't really give a sh1te who the president is and agree with what Casey said. An awful lot of people.

I'll be honest. I'll vote for Casey.
    A couple of months ago I was laughing at dragons den people running and I was 100% Michael D. Now I think I'll vote for Casey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

A vote of 20%+ for Casey would be a big kick in the stones for FG and FF.

He won`t get anywhere near 20%. 13 -14% at most and that is not taking account of the strong possibility that Michael D supporters who may originally not have bothered voting now do turn out at the polls.

Well those other 955 certainly get about so, cos I see them all over the place!

Even with those stats I’m not gonna mimic Casey though and state that Travellers ‘basically live in houses’. It would be wrong of me to do so as it is equally wrong for Casey to say what he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

A vote of 20%+ for Casey would be a big kick in the stones for FG and FF.

20% on the back of claims that he spoke about 'what everyone believes' would be an abject failure, both by him and those making the claim that 'everyone feels' like he does.

Look at the attempts to get far right parties off the ground in Ireland, no appetite for them at all, will always be a tiny minority for those views.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

gmisk wrote: »
    Again........do you actually understand the definition of rights?
    It doesnt seem so.

By your own definition you handily provided:
    A right is the power or privilege to which one is justly entitled or a thing to which one has a just claim.

Now tell me how the "grants" and free money I linked to aren't a "power or privilege"

Take your time and think it through this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

rovertom wrote: »
    I think it was too late to register to vote when people would have realised what was happening here. That was good because a large number of travellers have multiple identities relating to claiming multiple welfare payments. This may have allowed many travellers to see multiple additional votes which would be unfair to casey.
    Even the courts cannot identify travellers.

Traveller: It wasn't me Judge.
    Judge: Are you John Connor
    Traveller: Yes
    Judge: Are you John M Connor
    Traveller: Yes John Martin. You are looking for John Michael.

Except to claim the dole a person needs a Public Service card which requires several forms of ID to get.
    They are pretty strict when you register for one. I wanted to go by my middle name (as that is what I have been known by my whole life) or swap the order as it is on my Staff ID card (photo ID from a University) but because I didn't have enough forms of ID with my Middle name given preference (drivers licence/passport etc all go by Birth cert) I couldn't change it.

But sure don't left facts get in the way of having a go.

Look at the attempts to get far right parties off the ground in Ireland, no appetite for them at all, will always be a tiny minority for those views.

We'll see tomorrow night, won't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Saturday more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Wrong.

More like if you fail to toe the liberal line you may as well quite most jobs.

If I spoke my views IRL as I have posted here I would be fired or at least asked to apoloigise, recant and attend cultural awareness training.

Dissenting views are not tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

One swallow does not a summer make.

McAleese caused incredible controversy and difficulty when she let the Peace and Reconciliation guff slip.

If you googled that term I asked you to, you would have seen that not ignored it and cherrypicked out what you wanted to see.

If you are honest with yourself you would admit Michael D’s Castro clanged was more controversial than Mc Aleese’s

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

KevIRL wrote: »
    Saturday more likely.

Exit polls tomorrow night should give fairly accurate result I would have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,776 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

blinding wrote: »
    Casey Number 1

We the people decide what Truth is , not the Political and Media establishment .

Casey Number 1
    Thats me convinced....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

We live in a dictatorship....
    Ran by the media!

No. We don't.
    Ireland's about as unlike a dictatorship as you could possibly get!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

Far right?? We don’t even cater for centre right ffs.

Exit polls tomorrow night should give fairly accurate result I would have thought?

Will they even have an exit poll?

By your own definition you handily provided:

Now tell me how the "grants" and free money I linked to aren't a "power or privilege"

Take your time and think it through this time.
    Grants...are not "power or privilege"...lots of disadvantaged groups get grants and support (immigrants etc), they are not "rights".

Your side has lost, we are never going back to the reactionary right days. The future is progressive. Look at last 2 referendums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

If there is a swing to the right then it's the left's fault as I believe they've gone too far. There's only so much so called 'tolerance' you can take.

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Will they even have an exit poll?

Yes, several media outlets doing them. The late late show is even doing one.

Yes, several media outlets doing them. The late late show is even doing one.

Nice one. Thanks for that.

Your side has lost, we are never going back to the reactionary right days. The future is progressive. Look at last 2 referendums.

Ah, typical leftie. We voted for gay marriage so you are not allowed make valid criticisms of criminal lifestyles of travellers.

You lads do logic poorly.

If there is a swing to the right then it's the left's fault as I believe they've gone too far. There's only so much so called 'tolerance' you can take.

The Left that aren't in power, or the secret Left pulling all the real power strings in da country? :rolleyes:

Ah, typical leftie. We voted for gay marriage so you are not allowed make valid criticisms of criminal lifestyles of travellers.

Didnt say you couldnt, but tarring every traveller with the same brush isnt on. If travellers want two stables and extra land they should pay for it.

How do exit polls work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Left that aren't in power, or the secret Left pulling all the real power strings in da country? :rolleyes:

Indeed not. What's in power right now is about as close as it ever gets to Fascist dictatorship in Ireland. Wir mussen die Reisende ausraten! Sieg! HEIL!! :pac::pac::pac:

But... But... Casey never mentioned any of that, he said SEMS made travellers more equal than the rest of us and that travelers are basically people who camp on other people's land.

Are you suggesting Casey really intended to say that??? :eek::eek::eek:

How do exit polls work ?
    its literally asking people who leave polling stations how they have voted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

gmisk wrote: »
    Grants...are not "power or privilege"...lots of disadvantaged groups get grants and support (immigrants etc), they are not "rights".

LGBT groups get loads of grants.

Awaits rants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement