Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Thanks for straightsplaining...

Jesus. Just... Jesus!! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I wouldn't put too much faith in any polls, exit or otherwise.

Given the criticism of Casey and those who agree him (they are labelled racist), many are afraid to own up publically to supporting him. That doesn't mean that they won't/didn't vote for him, it just means that they won't admit to it in public.

I'm not comparing Casey to Trump but that's what a lot of Trump supporters did. They voted for Trump but didn't admit that publically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Your entitlements do not make you more or less equal than me or anyone else.

Gosh, this is basic 'civics' (as it was called when I was going to school.)

And on the subject, this seems the right moment to re-post this eloquent put down of those who jump up and down about entitlements or people seemingly getting more than them.
    James O'Brien of LBC radio responding to anger that Nigel Farage will be getting a bonus payment for leaving the EU of 150,000.
    Maybe sit down and think about it, reasonably, in relation to your own anger folks?

When you're finished calling everyone who disagrees with you a racist or assuming every Casey vote is out of "hate" or "anger" perhaps you could find some time to realise most people are not arguing about someone getting a medical card when they do not, nor the local under 9s GAA team getting a grant from Woodies.

We are talking about a section of Irish society that aside from generations of inbreeding are genetically the same as us being allowed to break laws on education, domestic violence, making threats, theft, animal cruelty, paying tax, CAB laws and child marriage with impunity - and also being able to routinely demand special treatment with zero justification ?

Travellers are not special, they are not protected, they are just Irish citizens like the rest of us and should be subject to the same laws, protections and rights - no more and no less.

tretorn wrote: »
    These really elderly people are terrified and they probably think if they dont hand over the money they will get a visit in the middle of the night.

They very likely would.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

gmisk wrote: »
    You forgot the Q and the + you nazi!!!
    I dont think most gay people I know would take offense....and I am gay, I dont even know the full acronym.

So am I a nazi or not?!

Don't believe so. Just a bit thick.

Mod: Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Absolutely disgraceful to even put LGBT people in the same sentence as travellers.

What are you trying to say, LGBT couples dont send their children to school and take them shoplifting with them. There is no proof of this so why compare LGBT people to travellers, pathetic.

Young gay travellers have a terrible time living in their "ethnic status" culture. If anyone comes out as gay they will be ostracised or may be in line for physical abuse.

Thanks for straightsplaining that to a lesbian.

Somebody kill me.

Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Thanks for straightsplaining that to a lesbian.

I said LGBTQ+ (:P) groups get significant funding from the State due to being a minority group. That's it. Feck off with your faux-outrage.

Does this funding confirm extra rights? NO. It bloody well doesn't.

Also - as I have worked with Traveller groups around the issues faced by LGBTQ+ Travellers I reckon I know more about it than you so jog on.

What do you know about life for young gay travellers, do Pavee Point have a anything to say about the homophobia against gay people.

You compared LBGT people who harm nobody with travellers who are career criminals in an effort to sneer at posters who want the Government and our Gardai to deal with the anti social behaviour of the "ethnic minority", shame On you.

I suspect you live off earnings due to your work defending and enabling travellers and any real progress made in dealing with their infantile behaviour will mean you lose your cushy job. You arent objective in your responses as you have too much to gain with the status quo. You and people like you are a huge part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,776 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Can't. Apparently Travellers broke the HSE. :mad:
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

I keep my political views to myself within my work environment but others have openly discussed voting for Casey. These individuals are open minded intelligent professionals. Just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Gravelly wrote: »
    Of course getting housing that is larger and better than anyone else's confirms a right. Local authorities are obliged to provide traveller-specific housing. Therefore, the Irish state has given travellers the right to specific housing, over and above what non-travellers get.

It's not difficult lads.

Authorities are also obliged to provide special Disability housing and/or modified for the elderly housing.
    So those would be 2 non specifically Traveller minority groups also entitled to "special" treatment in housing provision (if we had housing!).

As for "larger and better" - can you prove that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,776 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Don't believe so. Just a bit thick.
    Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

You more easily say that of the total of the 8,717 traveller households, some 7,762 of them are living in local authority rented housing, privately rented housing, plus housing provided by voluntary housing bodies, as well as houses actually owned by travellers. Pretty obvious that Casey’s statement that they are occupying someone else’s land is just wrong.

The census does not capture the nomads. Traveller population is 30,000 in 2016 census. Everyone knows the figure is much higher.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Jesus. Just... Jesus!! :pac::pac::pac:

I know like.

Mr I have an anecdote for everything is also an expert on/protector of LGBTQ+ sensibilities.

Mad isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The census does not capture the nomads. Traveller population is 30,000 in 2016 census. Everyone knows the figure is much higher.

Which still doesn't make saying 'travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land' correct.

You are being manipulated.

What do you know about life for young gay travellers, do Pavee Point have a anything to say about the homophobia against gay people.

You compared LBGT people who harm nobody with travellers who are career criminals in an effort to sneer at posters who want the Government and our Gardai to deal with the anti social behaviour of the "ethnic minority", shame On you.

I suspect you live off earnings due to your work defending and enabling travellers and any real progress made in dealing with their infantile behaviour will mean you lose your cushy job. You arent objective in your responses as you have too much to gain with the status quo. You and people like you are a huge part of the problem.

You ok hun?
    Do you need a support group?

When you're finished calling everyone who disagrees with you a racist

I didn't read anything after your first sentence which will have to be backed up first.

Good luck with backing up that latest cherry of mis-truth and lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Your entitlements do not make you more or less equal than me or anyone else.

Gosh, this is basic 'civics' (as it was called when I was going to school.)

And on the subject, this seems the right moment to re-post this eloquent put down of those who jump up and down about entitlements or people seemingly getting more than them.
    James O'Brien of LBC radio responding to anger that Nigel Farage will be getting a bonus payment for leaving the EU of 150,000.
    Maybe sit down and think about it, reasonably, in relation to your own anger folks?

You are being condescending while failing to explain the difference between a right and an entitlement.

An right is God given, entitlements spring from underlying rights and are given by government.

You don’t seem to be able to grasp this.

You talk about equality and entitlement.

Citizens are entitled to seek election to the Dail but legislation positively discriminated in favour of gender quotas so in the case of equal candidates the deciding factor will be gender. So entitlements can have an impact on one’s equal treatment.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You are being condescending while failing to explain the difference between a right and an entitlement.

An right is God given, entitlements spring from underlying rights and are given by government.

You don’t seem to be able to grasp this.

You talk about equality and entitlement.

Citizens are entitled to seek election to the Dail but legislation positively discriminated in favour of gender quotas so in the case of equal candidates the deciding factor will be gender. So entitlements can have an impact on one’s equal treatment.

God Given???

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Which still doesn't make saying 'travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land' correct.

I certainly don’t believe they all do. But many do. I include public lands when I say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

A vote of 20%+ for Casey would be a big kick in the stones for FG and FF.

If Casey polls well it demonstrates that Varadkar is significantly out of touch with the workforce, given the tone he took against Casey.

Should Casey achieve a vote of 20%, it would largely be made up of votes from those in the workforce. That could be 40% of the country's workforce. Should that be the case, Varadkar's coat would be on a shoddy peg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I certainly don’t believe they all do. But many do. I include public lands when I say that.

If Casey had just said no one should be demanding extra land and stables that would have been fine, its the rest he said that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

God Given???

Maybe look into the history of rights before dismissing the truth. Liberals hate to have it pointed out that the natural and inalienable rights they enjoy are largely a christian concept.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

See how interesting Casey has made the presidential race :-)

I know the far left snowflakes hate to admit it because it's started an uncomfortable debate for them but there ain't no denying folks!

Ps, and as for the travellers that liberals love so much, they have an 80% unemployment rate, an absolutely scandalous figure! Do we really have to prop up this culture of welfare, no wonder people are pissed off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Authorities are also obliged to provide special Disability housing and/or modified for the elderly housing.
    So those would be 2 non specifically Traveller minority groups also entitled to "special" treatment in housing provision (if we had housing!).

Disabled people and the elderly have needs that require modified housing. Travellers don't, they simply demand, and get "traveller-specific" housing.
    As for "larger and better" - can you prove that?

The average local authority house costs €180,000 to build. The average traveller-specific house costs €400,000 to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If Casey had just said no one should be demanding extra land and stables that would have been fine, its the rest he said that's the issue.

What exactly did Casey say that wasn't right? The fact that travellers are on land that they don't own?

I didn't read anything after your first sentence which will have to be backed up first.

Good luck with backing up that latest cherry of mis-truth and lies.

Hahahahahaha, that's some level of debate right there from the master, give up after one sentence then respond anyway. Superb stuff there chief :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

See how interesting Casey has made the presidential race :-)

I know the far left snowflakes hate to admit it because it's started an uncomfortable debate for them but there ain't no denying folks!

Ps, and as for the travellers that liberals love so much, they have an 80% unemployment rate, an absolutely scandalous figure! Do we really have to prop up this culture of welfare, no wonder people are pissed off!!

Not wanting people to be discriminated against doesnt mean you love them ffs!!! Scumbags are scumbags, travellers, settled or whatever.

I know like.

Mr I have an anecdote for everything is also an expert on/protector of LGBTQ+ sensibilities.

Mad isn't it.

Not really, I've been a proud LGBT ally (a friend of a friend of Dorothy as on wag put it in the George once!!!!) for longer than two pals have been gay. Almost combined.

I don't "straightsplain" (that may well be the silliest word ever btw!) but do not discount those of us who love and want to protect the gay and lesbian community.

Hahahahahaha, that's some level of debate right there from the master, give up after one sentence then respond anyway. Superb stuff there chief :-)

Sorry, I will not ignore lies being told about me. I don't care what you infer that to mean.

And I haven't given up. I will continue to point out lies and mis-truths being told here because that is a duty of a democrat - to shut down the loud mouths and the hate mongers.

• Advertisement

Not wanting people to be discriminated against doesnt mean you love them ffs!!!

I don't anybody to be discriminated against either, fact of the matter is though that travellers are by far their own biggest enemy. The life they choose to live is by far the biggest factor holding them back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement