Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Factors that affect people from D1 or D4 going to prison or members of the traveler's ethnic community?

Typically people who end up in prison are poorly educated & criminality within their family.

But can you tell me why the travellers community makes up 1/5 of the prison population yet only accounts for .8% to .6% of the nations population.

We aren't doing anything to increase their rates of education. Without education nothing will change, especially if they are female, as their job within the community to pop out kids, keep the caravan clean and make dinner...This ethnic group are still living in the 60's
    Typically people who end up in prison are poorly educated & criminality within their family.

Do those factors apply to the Travelling community too? You could also throw in systemic poverty, does that apply in the travelling community too?
    We aren't doing anything to increase their rates of education.

There is good work being done in all level of education with the Travelling community. Unfortunately support were disproportionately cut in the crisis - I wonder why that was?
    Without education nothing will change, especially if they are female, as their job within the community to pop out kids, keep the caravan clean and make dinner...This ethnic group are still living in the 60's

Posted this earlier...fair few women there!

Speirs020518Maynooth127-1200x800.jpg

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/traveller-and-roma-students-graduate-470202.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see the opinion polls after this outburst today.

will they now try shoehorn a few travellers into the studios for the debates even though they had no interest in the election before , Even Paveen Pointless Collins referred to it as a general election for president earlier will he be making an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

MFPM wrote: »
    A multi millionaire businessman dumping on some of the most impoverished and weak sections of Irish society...yeah real brave!!

His comments took no guts, they are as cowardly as one can get but I'm glad you've found someone to jerk yourself off too, enjoy it while it lasts.

When people like you are handing out cards to the rest of us for all kinds of PC shyte, but are smarting at the reality stated by this person, I say Well Done That Man!

You can be poor or rich, but courage is not in the pocket of either. He has courage and is saying what most of us are thinking because we are muzzled. He decided to place his head above the parapet and is getting more publicity than anyone I have known in public life so far where there wasn't embezzlement or paedophilia or other criminality involved.

humberklog wrote: »
    How are they some of the most impoverished and weak sections of Irish society?

Surely they're only as impoverished as any settled family on long term unemployment benefit. And "weak"? How so?

Poverty, unemployment, isolation etc tends to weaken people be they settled or Travellers - essentially the absence of social capital. There are also then more discriminatory practices against Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Ah so you're one of the 1-2% voting for him...enjoy that

Sometimes you have to do what is right and support a man of principle, even if he has little chance of winning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ah so you're one of the 1-2% voting for him...enjoy that

Enjoy what? F***in weird thing to say.

Poverty, unemployment, isolation etc tends to weaken people be they settled or Travellers - essentially the absence of social capital. There are also then more discriminatory practices against Travellers.

I'd be interested to know what they are, genuinely.

Mine too.

Is there any chance we can organise a GoFundMe in his name for the victims of traveller criminality or a maybe a petition that says we back him. Anyone with any other ideas? The time of action is now on this or it'll cool down again. It's important that Casey knows that we stand by him.

I'm not sure who's laughing more - me or Casey! The idea that he cares one way or another about you is laughable - he's using Travellers for his own ends, it could be anyone - he's Trumpesque in his methods.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

But why would that be, there must be some reason for this attitude of mistrust, fear, hatred......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Do those factors apply to the Travelling community too? You could also throw in systemic poverty, does that apply in the travelling community too?

There is good work being done in all level of education with the Travelling community. Unfortunately support were disproportionately cut in the crisis - I wonder why that was?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/traveller-and-roma-students-graduate-470202.html

Is the fact that 20 out of 30k travellers graduating is news, not show the issues with their cultures attitude to education

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Yeah, hotels and pubs don't want their staff threatened and their establishments wreaked.
    I am glad to see to see this swing back to common sense.

Your posting ****e and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

Poverty? What do the travellers in your area drive?

Hoboo wrote: »
    Enjoy what? F***in weird thing to say.

Work it out, it's not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Trump is the new Godwin in this new world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I think RTE are after being told to demote the story. The more legs this story is given, it seems, the more votes its attracting. Kill the controversy because it can't be won.
    They've moved it to about 5th or 6th on the site.
    If he was forced to apologise though, it would still be at no1.
    Have journal demoted it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Work it out, it's not difficult.

Well done, good reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/presidential-candidate-peter-casey-to-visit-traveller-accommodation-after-racist-remarks-controversy-37431292.html

Seems official that he is visiting the site tomorrow. I've read people who think that he will double down on his remarks. I hope that he does not. If all that he does in this election campaign is draw attention to the entitlement culture of the Travellers, then something will be served. The virtue signalling from Higgins and that Ni Riada on the topic make me sick. I'd say if the Travellers pulled in to the entrance to the Ni Riada estate, she would be on the phone to Gerry right away.

I wonder how many Travellers has Mary Robinson had around to her house since the photo opportunity was no longer of use to her?

I think RTE are after being told to demote the story. The more legs this story is given, it seems, the more votes its attracting. Kill the controversy because it can't be won.

Uncomfortable truths brought to the forefront, we can't be having that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

This post has been deleted.

Well I can say from me living in a place where we have problems with 4 years Casey is dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not sure who's laughing more - me or Casey! The idea that he cares one way or another about you is laughable - he's using Travellers for his own ends, it could be anyone - he's Trumpesque in his methods.....

This play by Casey is so transparent I can't figure how so many are taken in by him.
    Have they never met bluffers like this guy before?
    Have they been around the block at all at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Trump referred to Mexicans as rapists and murderers. Big difference between that and what PC has said. I didn't hear him refer to criminality. I didn't hear him incite hatred. It seems to me he is taken a reasonable stance on the ethnicity status of Travellers. You might not agree but he is not proposing we treat them any less than any other member of Irish society.

When people like you are handing out cards to the rest of us for all kinds of PC shyte, but are smarting at the reality stated by this person, I say Well Done That Man!

You can be poor or rich, but courage is not in the pocket of either. He has courage and is saying what most of us are thinking because we are muzzled. He decided to place his head above the parapet and is getting more publicity than anyone I have known in public life so far where there wasn't embezzlement or paedophilia or other criminality involved.

His comments are the opposite of brave, they are cowardly in the extreme. This is a man who lives a life of privilege, he has benefited from corporate welfare for most of his business life and has had no problem taking it and he has the nerve to talk about Travellers.... He's a fraud and I look forward to a good laugh on the 27th when he doesn't even get enough votes to even come close to securing his deposit. 98% of those who vote will vote for candidates who don't propagate this kind of hate - thankfully 'most of us' are not with you or this excuse for a candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

vonlars wrote: »
    Poverty? What do the travellers in your area drive?

Do you honestly believe he lives near any travellers?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

So what a few have degree's, what percentage have no formal education at all.

My neighbor is a settle traveller, her kids all go to school and one to college. She is the exception to her ethnic group. As to are the few in your picture.
    But 1 in 5 in the prison population are travellers yet they only make up .8% - .6% of the total population.

Those factors affect all society with regards prison attendance, but why is this ethnic group so disproportionately affected.

Where are talking about a group who think the act of "grabbing" is appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhpHHSlvS4s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

He might not care about me personally but I do know I haven't heard a man talk as much sense as Mr.Casey did today. Not only does he have my vote, he has my eternal respect.

This was a total masterstroke by Casey and his advisers. They know he will not be elected, so instead of espousing World Peace or some other cr@p he has said it as it is for the vast majority of us. It is like a dam bursting really.

Fair dues. And it is both to be congratulated as much as it is amusing to see the SJWs floundering around for a soundbyte. No one cares. They agree with Casey. Time to shut up for now and let the pent up anger out of the general public who up to now have been largely silenced by a compliant media.

Trump referred to Mexicans as rapists and murderers. Big difference between that and what PC has said. I didn't hear him refer to criminality. I didn't hear him incite hatred. It seems to me he is taken a reasonable stance on the ethnicity status of Travellers. You might not agree but he is not proposing we treat them any less than any other member of Irish society.

I don't agree with him on ethnicity but I don't have a problem with that per se. I have a problem with his exploitation of base line prejudices to secure electoral support in a failing/failed campaign.

This was a total masterstroke by Casey and his advisers. They know he will not be elected, so instead of espousing World Peace or some other cr@p he has said it as it is for the vast majority of us. It is like a dam bursting really.

Fair dues. And it is both to be congratulated as much as it is amusing to see the SJWs floundering around for a soundbyte. No one cares. They agree with Casey. Time to shut up for now and let the pent up anger out of the general public who up to now have been largely silenced by a compliant media.

98% in polls are voting for other candidates.

His comments are the opposite of brave, they are cowardly in the extreme. This is a man who lives a life of privilege, he has benefited from corporate welfare for most of his business life and has had no problem taking it and he has the nerve to talk about Travellers.... He's a fraud and I look forward to a good laugh on the 27th when he doesn't even get enough votes to even come close to securing his deposit. 98% of those who vote will vote for candidates who don't propagate this kind of hate - thankfully 'most of us' are not with you or this excuse for a candidate.

Forget it lad, we can all point to privilege but he is shedding light on an epidemic of crime and intimidation blighting our nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

With the way Keelin was attacking him today you thing she was doing a debate and the "your only doing this to get more votes" & "so you don't want to be a president for travelers" was uncalled and down right dirty. Kept his cool and made a good impression on me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement