Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You just have to look at Trump and Brexit to see what a protest vote can do. People want to upset the status quo as they feel no one is representing them.

I'm not sure it Peter Casey purposefully went after the protest vote but as soon as his team realised they doubled down.

At least a protest vote here won't have as big of an affect on the country as the 2 mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Wheety wrote: »
    You just have to look at Trump and Brexit to see what a protest vote can do. People want to upset the status quo as they feel no one is representing them.

I'm not sure it Peter Casey purposefully went after the protest vote but as soon as his team realised they doubled down.

At least a protest vote here won't have as big of an affect on the country as the 2 mentioned above.

That's the point

• Registered Users Posts: 32,776 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ever hear of Tactical voting :confused:
    Tactical voting when there is only one winner of the content doesn't really make much sense though does it.
    It's a protest vote surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

We could have an accidental president.

It could still have a negative effect, casey would be an embarrassment on the international stage, does he strike you as someone who would be diplomatic and measured? .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Where has being diplomatic and measured got us so far? Handing out forever homes to workshy scrotes with an over inflated sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

gmisk wrote: »
    Tactical voting when there is only one winner of the content doesn't really make much sense though does it.
    It's a protest vote surely?

Yeah it does actually, I don't know if you fully understand how tactical voting works in a multi candidate election.

Let's say Gavin Duffy was your preferred man for the job, but you know he's no chance whatsoever, but you believe it's down to a 2 horse race between 2 other candidates, you vote the one you think has a better chance with a lower preference.

Ie, poster above might prefer to have Duffy in the Aras, but definitely doesn't want Higgins, so votes Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

That's the point

I'm not disagreeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Where has being diplomatic and measured got us so far? Handing out forever homes to workshy scrotes with an over inflated sense of entitlement.

Where has bailing out banks and giving favorable tax agreements to tax shy corporations got us, who's the real 'entitled' here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Edward M wrote: »
    We could have an accidental president.

Didnt that sort of happen last time?

Gallagher was ahead in the polls, an untrue statement was erroneously? made on national TV and Higgins got in?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Where has bailing out banks and giving favorable tax agreements to tax shy corporations got us, who's the real 'entitled' here?

What do you think would have happened if the country let the banks fall to its knees?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Massive FDI, a highly skilled (not all Irish) workforce and a low unemployment rate?

What do you think would have happened if the country let the banks fall to its knees?

Err emmm, they did fail, many of our major global financial institutions are currently bust and on life support, this is far from over, the next banking crisis is never too far away, this will rare it's head again soon, patience is required

naughtb4 wrote:
    Massive FDI, a highly skilled (not all Irish) workforce and a low unemployment rate?

Our economy is doing well, but is our society? At some stage we ll have to accept it isn't, but on we go, digging our heads into the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Maybe the demographic that have apparently been living amid a 'plague' of traveller crime and terror in 'towns and villages on their knees' will finally realise they have a vote.
    Lesson two is learning the right elections to excercise that franchise in, lesson 3 is actually getting up and voting.

If that happens as a result of this sad plunge into the politics of hate, then something might be salvaged.

Yeah it does actually, I don't know if you fully understand how tactical voting works in a multi candidate election.

Let's say Gavin Duffy was your preferred man for the job, but you know he's no chance whatsoever, but you believe it's down to a 2 horse race between 2 other candidates, you vote the one you think has a better chance with a lower preference.

Ie, poster above might prefer to have Duffy in the Aras, but definitely doesn't want Higgins, so votes Casey.
    Let's be honest here in this situation he/she is most likely voting for Casey as a protest as he has the best chance against Higgins.
    I doubt Duffy would even bother voting for himself lol

Err emmm, they did fail, many of our major global financial institutions are currently bust and on life support, this is far from over, the next banking crisis is never too far away, this will rare it's head again soon, patience is required
    They were bailed out, right? What do you think would have happened if they weren’t? Because from where I’m standing, looking at how to country recovered, seems like it was the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Was there any poll released yesterday? Hugely suspicious if there wasn't

Kept an eye on paddy power,
    Casey went from 100/1 to 80/1 to 14/1 and is currently 10/1

They were bailed out, right? What do you think would have happened if they weren’t? Because from where I’m standing, looking at how to country recovered, seems like it was the right thing to do.

It's impossible to say what the results would have been if we didn't, but have we just kicked cans down the road, and has our society truly recovered?

• Advertisement

Was there any poll released yesterday? Hugely suspicious is there wasn't
    There is a media blackout from 2pm yesterday...

But its all a conspiracy against casey seemingly reading here...

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Didnt that sort of happen last time?

Gallagher was ahead in the polls, an untrue statement was erroneously? made on national TV and Higgins got in?

Gallagher self imploded. There was no untruth. The taxpayer paid him 130,000 because he was conned into doing it . There was no untruths though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

gmisk wrote: »
    There is a media blackout from 2pm yesterday...

But its all a conspiracy against casey seemingly...

What is the last poll before the moratorium? It's very strange that the last public one was before his comments

Paddy shaking the last few cents from the gullible. At least he will win.
    We are all losers after this.

What is the last poll before the moratorium? It's very strange that the last public one was before his comments

Polls are voluntary and commissioned well in advance of an election. Invariably there will be more if interest is high because they increase readership or listenership.
    It was clear early on that turnout/interest was low in these 2 referenda.

Wanderer on his solo run again hijacking a thread.

Are your or anyone else's posts a form of hijacking?

I have no idea.
    There have been plenty online though.
    Casey winning in lots of them (Limerick paper), the journal one had Higgins winning by about 12 percent I think which would likely have the most votes.
    So if you think casey is going to win fill your boots he is still 10/1, I am not sure what influences a poll have on how people vote, I would think very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Voted Yes in the Ref, number 1 for Casey. No preference. Have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

He went from 500/1 to 10/1, not 100/1.

In the absence of a recent poll I'd have to agree with PP, MD to win, PC second place. I think he was 50/1 to come second a few weeks ago, that would have been a good bet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Gallagher self imploded. There was no untruth. The taxpayer paid him 130,000 because he was conned into doing it . There was no untruths though.

You just lying now Francie. A tweet from a fake Sinn Fein account was read out live st the debate which was completely untrue. Just like your last post.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement