Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

JMNolan wrote: »
    He went from 500/1 to 10/1, not 100/1.

In the absence of a recent poll I'd have to agree with PP, MD to win, PC second place. I think he was 50/1 to come second a few weeks ago, that would have been a good bet!

Didn’t see him at 500/1, but he was at 100/1 on Saturday of last week

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Shaney Boy

I will be amazed if Casey doesn't get 20% as there is definitely a rural groundswell of support where people are very open regarding their voting intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,776 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You just lying now Francie. A tweet from a fake Sinn Fein account was read out live st the debate which was completely untrue. Just like your last post.
    And what did Gallagher say when the tweet was brought up?
    He torched his own campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

gmisk wrote: »

Francie lied. He said there was no untruth. There was. It undermines the credibility of everything he says if he stands over that lie.

MDH was elected as the result of one lie and will be re elected as the result of another.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Where has bailing out banks and giving favorable tax agreements to tax shy corporations got us, who's the real 'entitled' here?

Straight out of Monty python, what have the Romans ever done for us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

haley79 wrote: »
    99% of guards and farmers are voting for Casey
    bubblypop wrote: »
    I can guarantee you this is not true.

Prison guard here. On my way out to vote Casey No.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I never understood why Gallagher sought or got that money from RTE. He admitted and was a FF bag man. Just because a little birdy told Pat about it doesn't change the fact that Gallagher brought around brown envelopes full of cash.

Where has being diplomatic and measured got us so far? Handing out forever homes to workshy scrotes with an over inflated sense of entitlement.

SDC 4 Prez 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Gallagher has run a really poor campaign this time round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Does Paddy Power offer cash out on this particular bet? Betfair does not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

enricoh wrote:
    Straight out of Monty python, what have the Romans ever done for us!

How come some of the wealthiest institutions on the planet are indeed major financial institutions and corporations, and how well do they redistribute this wealth?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Omackeral wrote: »
    Prison guard here. On my way out to vote Casey No.1

Anecdotally loads of ppl from diff backgrounds have said to me Casey is their man today.

My prediction is he will be at least second

There is a media blackout from 2pm yesterday...

But its all a conspiracy against casey seemingly reading here...

Disregard yesterday for a second. Do you not find it odd that there was no official polls this week? Not insinuating there's a conspiracy, just find it a strange occurrence.

Gallagher has run a really poor campaign this time round.
    Totally agree an absolute shambles of a campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It could still have a negative effect, casey would be an embarrassment on the international stage, does he strike you as someone who would be diplomatic and measured? .

A man who has worked and been successful in business across all continents doesn't strike you as diplomatic and measured??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Our economy is doing well, but is our society? At some stage we ll have to accept it isn't, but on we go, digging our heads into the sand.

Nice switcheroo. What about the banks, I meant society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

A man who has worked and been successful in business across all continents doesn't strike you as diplomatic and measured??

Nah, he's a lunatic because racism /s

Polls are voluntary and commissioned well in advance of an election. Invariably there will be more if interest is high because they increase readership or listenership.
    It was clear early on that turnout/interest was low in these 2 referenda.

Early on, perhaps. Since the comments Peter Casey made, the election has been a hot topic and well you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

JMNolan wrote: »
    He went from 500/1 to 10/1, not 100/1.

In the absence of a recent poll I'd have to agree with PP, MD to win, PC second place. I think he was 50/1 to come second a few weeks ago, that would have been a good bet!

PP will have their own exit poll and unlike the media ones, they will get their own updates during the day. So keep an eye on the various markets and you'll know what the trend is.

Turnout is very low at present. It may struggle to get 50% and that may see MDH vote suffer - he'll still win, but the 40%-50% 1st Pref bet may still be value. (but it was stonking value at 22/1 & 25/1 :) )

Disregard yesterday for a second. Do you not find it odd that there was no official polls this week? Not insinuating there's a conspiracy, just find it a strange occurrence.
    I would think it takes time and money and forward planning to organise a decent sized poll. I'd think a lot of the media outlets etc thought there would be very little interest as Michael D was expected to romp home, not knowing that Casey's comments would increase interest in it, so caught napping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Business and diplomacy are not the same things or comparable in any way, i thought this lesson had been well and truly learned thanks to trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Ethnicity is not the same as race. People seem to think it is, and therefore argue travellers should not have their own ethnic status, but it's not.

Here's how you tell if somebody is of the same ethnicity: go live with their family for a few days. If their way of life generally matches yours, and your learned behaviours are built upon the same traditions, then you are probably of the same ethnic group.

How many members of the settled community do you know have decided to buy a caravan and move to a halting site? Despite the housing crisis, I don't know a single person who has done this.

The problem isn't travellers being recognised as an ethnic group. The problem is our society failing to adequately address the many problems our society has.

Recidivism is not restricted to the traveller community, there are repeat offenders and career criminals outside the traveller community too, and as a society we should be doing more to address this. Little is being truly done to limit the revolving doors in our courts.

There are deis schools up and down the country because we have many disadvantaged areas where educational standards, attendance, and completion rates are poor. It's not limited to halting sites, we need to more to further education for all our children. Ethnicity doesn't come into it.

There have been many settled people on social housing lists rejecting the housing provided to them, it's not something that only travellers do. And there are many travellers who quietly and gratefully accepted the accommodation provided for them, but there are no headlines written about them. If our policy allows people to game the system, then that needs to be recognised, and the policies changed to reduce that. Again, ethnicity doesn't come into it.

Recognising travellers as a distinct ethnic group does not grant immunity to laws, and does not prevent the application of progressive social policies to make Ireland a better place in which to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Defo I made a similar comment on another thread. The momentum was with Casey and an updated poll would have shown that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

It could still have a negative effect, casey would be an embarrassment on the international stage, does he strike you as someone who would be diplomatic and measured? .

Also after the recent referendum wins the rest of the civilised World looks to Ireland for decency and compassion, that toe rag is NOT the sort of person to represent the new Ireland.

Did you watch the debates? He was a shambling mess, shouting over other people, he struggled to string a coherent sentence together while looking at bits of paper.
    People can be successful in business without being in anyway diplomatic or measured.... Just look at the current US president lol, or Elon musk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I would think it takes time and money and forward planning to organise a decent sized poll. I'd think a lot of the media outlets etc thought there would be very little interest as Michael D was expected to romp home, not knowing that Casey's comments would increase interest in it, so caught napping.

To me it still seems strange that there was no significant poll organised for after one or two of the deabtes.
    I think the last poll was before any of the major tv debates.
    Maybe it was just a case of they thought MDH was going to walk away it so why waste money but to not even want to see the effect of the debates at all seems odd.

the rest of the civilised World looks to Ireland for decency and compassion

Hahaha look at this bullsh*t. State of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Did you watch the debates? He was a shambling mess, shouting over other people, he struggled to string a coherent sentence together while looking at bits of paper.
    People can be successful in business without being in anyway diplomatic or measured.... Just look at the current US president lol, or Elon musk

At least he was there......

naughtb4 wrote: »
    At least he was there......
    Michael D set out at the start of October what debates he would attend, he was in lots of them, he missed 2 televised ones, Gallagher missed 1 and it would have been 2 if he wasn't scrabbling about for any vote he could get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Michael D set out at the start of October what debates he would attend, he was in lots of them, he missed 2 televised ones, Gallagher missed 1 and it would have been 2 if he wasn't scrabbling about for any vote he could get.

Why does giving advance notice matter?

There were 4 (?) televised debates, missed 50% of them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement