Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

elperello wrote: »
    This play by Casey is so transparent I can't figure how so many are taken in by him.
    Have they never met bluffers like this guy before?
    Have they been around the block at all at all?

Probably but its working, the rest of the muppets are eating dust, even though hes right on the money of course he doesn't give a f*ck about whether travellers are next door he never will, but it plays well to a lot of people in this country and lets be honest travellers are sc*m

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think RTE are after being told to demote the story. The more legs this story is given, it seems, the more votes its attracting. Kill the controversy because it can't be won.
    They've moved it to about 5th or 6th on the site.
    If he was forced to apologise though, it would still be at no1.
    Have journal demoted it yet?

Yep, I said similar way back in the thread. Don't feed it and it will go away. Or should I say, back to normal, no debate allowed unless it conforms to conformity :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see the opinion polls after this outburst today.

Judging by the way he conducted himself throughout the campaign before today, I strongly doubt that anyone who was already going to vote for him will be turned off by this. He could pick up a lot of extra votes too, mostly at the expense of the other 'Dragons'. I can see him finishing in fifth, rather than sixth place now.

MFPM wrote: »
    98% in polls are voting for other candidates.

Sorry now, can you read a post at all through your PC/SJW glasses at all? Shoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Your stick with your polls the media.

Would you live next to a halting site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

With the way Keelin was attacking him today you thing she was doing a debate and the "your only doing this to get more votes" & "so you don't want to be a president for travelers" was uncalled and down right dirty. Kept his cool and made a good impression on me

I thought he was overly rattled.
    She went on a if he had suggested burning them at the stake.
    I thought he missed the point by going on about pavee point, also thought he missed a trick when she said she was attacking a population of 30k people with decreased infant mortality, decreased general mortality and who live in poverty. The answer to that was "that's exactly why this has to change!".

He was dead right though about how there's too much political correctness and how people can no longer express an opinion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Did he back down on the news?
    No he didnt. Fair ****s to him. No "error of judgement" ****e.
    At long last someone is telling it as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Judging by the way he conducted himself throughout the campaign before today, I strongly doubt that anyone who was already going to vote for him will be turned off by this. He could pick up a lot of extra votes too, mostly at the expense of the other 'Dragons'. I can see him finishing in fifth, rather than sixth place now.

Probably. I'll give him no. 2 after Michael D. Before today I wasn't going to even transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

MFPM wrote:

Hate to say it but several people seem to be getting rattled. Almost like this vote means someone. It's a well paid but nonsense job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I thought he was overly rattled.
    She went on a if he had suggested burning them at the stake.
    I thought he missed the point by going on about pavee point, also thought he missed a trick when she said she was attacking a population of 30k people with decreased infant mortality, decreased general mortality and who live in poverty. The answer to that was "that's exactly why this has to change!".

He was dead right though about how there's too much political correctness and how people can no longer express an opinion here.

I know he will not be elected but he has opened a door that will be difficult to close if people see they can run with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Is the fact that 20 out of 30k travellers graduating is news, not show the issues with their cultures attitude to education
    Qualifications in "community work" i.e. more knowledge as to how to bleed the system.
    Jump on board the me me quangos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

[...]
    comparison is misguided nay utterly irrelevant
    [...]
    I dare say that reflects those people than any thing positive about Casey's remarks
    [...]
    refute the clown,
    [...]
    Oh I don't know, the one on 1-2% of the vote in the polls, which is.....I'll let you finish that sentence.
    [...]
    Utter boll!x,
    [...]
    if you honestly think that Travellers are the biggest issue that will decide people's vote, you're more out of touch than Casey.
    [...]
    nah that would actually be brave and bravery is not something that Casey will ever be accused of.

I was going to respond to each part of your post, but, having read through your entire response to me, along with the multiple others you've since posted to this thread, you're acting true to form and more interested in insulting and belittling people rather than actually engaging with them in intelligent debate.

Thus, I'm not going to bother.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

He has opinions which may encourage some of the electorate but surely his lack of cogency will prevent him making any sort of impact in the final result

Look, MD is a shoo in, we all know this.

And indeed it is a joke campaign (up to now) because the Prez cannot have any influence on Government policy.

But today, a candidate who KNOWS he will not be elected has spoken out on at least ONE aspect of our society that really does require scrutiny rather than hiding behind Ethnic Status.

I doubt the man cares if he is elected or not, and he probably won't be, but he will be the ONE candidate that will be remembered.

The rest of them are just conforming to what they Think people want to hear, when in fact it is the total opposite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Exactly, because like most people, your views on Travellers are more nuanced than simply despising them.

Are you glad that you stopped beating your wife?
    Mod note: Yer Da sells Avon, don't post in this thread again.

Buford T.Justice

Lifted on discussion with poster.

He has opinions which may encourage some of the electorate but surely his lack of cogency will prevent him making any sort of impact in the final result

I doubt it has anything to do with him winning. But it is great theatre just the same. The other candidates are just nodding donkeys to PC rules. But that is not what everyone wants to hear. Casey has courage.

I may not be able to watch the debate tonight, and before now had no intention whatsoever of watching it either. So will keep an eye on this thread, as I know the information I get here will be so much more interesting than the debate itself :D

Having said that I may be able to multitask too!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I can't see how traveller ethnicity is anything he should be deciding on. It's an academic classification. And it's got nothing to do with any criminality that exists within the traveller community. If the majority of academics say that they qualify to be a separate ethnic group then they are a separate ethnic group. If the majority say otherwise then that's true. It's not something he gets to make a decision on.

Personally I'm wary of any politician that tries to drum up votes based on something like this. It the great scheme of things it's a minor issue and he's only doing it to drum up votes. He's just trying to separate himself from the pack by saying something controversial that will elicit support from some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Peter Casey is a joke candidate but he didn't say a huge amount wrong here.

Too many people offended over nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Its amazing what boards allows and doesnt allow...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Not half enough honesty in this country.
    People should say what they think but be prepared to back it up.

• Advertisement

Mod note: Yer Da sells Avon, don't post in this thread again.

Buford T.Justice

These threads must be a nightmare for the mods.
    People are angry at criminality and pandering and the fact people have been silenced so long.

I do agree that insults just drag the whole debate into the muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You might tell that to David Joyce, solicitor, who has condemned Casey's comments.

A solicitor you say.
    No doubt he will get lots of business from the relatives. :rolleyes:

BTW if it the same guy that is involved with legal aid for homeless, looking at his profile he has been linked with a lot of quangoish organisations.
    I hope he doesn’t back down tonight in the debate.

Make no mistake all the other candidates will be trying to demonise him for daring to speak up on this issue.

Michael D doing his “shocked and appalled” routine will definitely lose him respect and some votes but it’s hard to see anyone beating him going by the poll figures.

Watch RTE or our other so called media lace the place with the bleedin hearts who will be there to ambush him.

Our media can't be having the truth and they definitely can't be having a political candidate going rogue and off piste and away from the given standard narrative.

I can see him getting lots of votes and the more so the media hound him and the more so the muppets, like some of those posting around here, keep labeling him this that and the other.

There are a lot of very p**sed off people in this country and they are tired of the shyte foisted on them by the likes of Donnybrook.
    All it takes is the right circumstances.

A lot of people were apathetic about this election, but now they have finally found someone who expresses a much held public opinion that no one in the political sphere has dared express in public and that is going to get him votes.

I am not allowed discuss …

Try_harder wrote: »
    Its amazing what boards allows and doesnt allow...

What I find amazing is that common sense seems to be catching on here.
    Insults are not allowed criticism of peoples behaviour is what a refreshing change.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some people here really need to start making better use of their access to Internet search engines.

The "beating your wife" question is a fairly well known rhetorical device that shows the limitations of insisting on Yes/No answers. Answering it either way looks bad. It's not an actual accusation of wife-beating. :rolleyes:

Oops just caught on RTE +1 the interview with K Shanley.

She was NOT happy and didn't give him time to answer the questions she posed. She sounded a bit angry. I suppose she will have no problem with a bunch of caravans outside on her road in the morning so.

Casey kept his cool thankfully. But she was a bit meh.

She must not have been watching SM today. But toeing the RTE line.

Oops just caught on RTE +1 the interview with K Shanley.

She was NOT happy and didn't give him time to answer the questions she posed. She sounded a bit angry. I suppose she will have no problem with a bunch of caravans outside on her road in the morning so.

Casey kept his cool thankfully. But she was a bit meh.

She must not have been watching SM today. But toeing the RTE line.

Reading this thread made me angry but I have noticed lately that boards seem to be adopting a more common sense approach to moderating.

Many of us have got it out of our system by posting our true feelings here not going to ruin that by tuning into any garbage coming out of Montrose.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

People should be allowed say what they think in modern Ireland. We shouldn't have to pander to PC wasters who get offended for the sake of being offended. In reality, there is not a whole lot wrong with what Casey said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Poverty, unemployment, isolation etc tends to weaken people be they settled or Travellers - essentially the absence of social capital. There are also then more discriminatory practices against Travellers.

Have you ever passed by on a day of First Holy Communion, I have seen in one small town, there were stretch Limo, horse drawn carriage, and the little girls were barely able to walk in their rigs they were so cumbersome and heavy, The amount it must have cost
    there is no shortage of money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

PC is not PC ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Michael D Higgins 66%
    Sean Gallagher 12%
    Liadh Ni Riada 11%
    Joan Freeman 5%
    Gavin Duffy 4%
    Peter Casey 2%

Michael D Higgins 1/33
    Sean Gallagher 18/1
    Liadh Ni Riada 25/1
    Joan Freeman 25/1
    Gavin Duffy 33/1
    Peter Casey 500/1

It's been great entertainment watching Peter Casey have an absolute meltdown these past few weeks. The thought of finishing rock bottom is obviously weighing heavy on his mind. Desperate times call for desperate measures it seems.
    Even better entertainment, are the tiny tiny minority of people that will vote for him, trying to convince others to vote for him. The look on their faces on the day of the results, when they realise just how many people disagree with him, would be absolutely priceless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement