Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

blanch152 wrote: »
    The thing is, Leo is smart enough to see what way the wind is blowing. What odds that the talks with FF break down because FF want more money for welfare but FG want more money for those who work?

I might start to vote FG again so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Guess I have to put this here too (from other thread: )

My bad!

Soz Francie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Right, wtf is the cat stuff about Dr?

There was a post in some cat obsessives forum on here about somebody who's neighbours cat broke into their house and knocked some stuff over. Some people, including me, posted some light hearted suggestions about a remedy (I didn't realise it was a lonely cat persons forum!) - my suggestion was to smear the cat in axle grease and send him back to the neighbours house. The crazy, lonely cat people, including the good doctor, threw tantrums and got several people (including me!) perma banned. I'm heartbroken. The doc actually thinks there was a real cat covered in grease, and he/she is still upset about the imaginary cat.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,538 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why were there no polls since Oct 17 last....it doesn't take a genius to figure it out...even our self appointed "intellectuals" should be able to hazard a guess on that one!

Do I think polls were suppressed? I think that was what you were implying (Would that you took a leaf out of the hero du jour's book, the chapter on Plain Speaking :rolleyes:)

No I don't think the polls were suppressed for two reasons:
    1. because that would only lead more of the people suspicious of an establishment plot to vote for Casey. It would be counter productive.
    2. These polls are planned well in advance and the companies doing them would have their credibility and hence their viability destroyed if an employee ever blew the whistle on a poll being suppressed on the instructions of shadowy overlords.
    Not worth it for an election like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Allinall wrote: »
    Someone up thread said they voted twice.

Which I personally think isn't a particularly clever thing to do but there ya go.

• Advertisement

I might start to vote FG again so

I think Varadkar is ****scared of this uncontrolled, irrational Gatling gun rage that wants to burn everything down to achieve very little. He'll cling onto power for as long as he can.
    Nothing to do with him sniffing the winds of change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

He'll cling onto power for as long as he can.

I guess in that regard he's pretty standard for Irish politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Gravelly wrote: »
    There was a post in some cat obsessives forum on here about somebody who's neighbours cat broke into their house and knocked some stuff over. Some people, including me, posted some light hearted suggestions about a remedy (I didn't realise it was a lonely cat persons forum!) - my suggestion was to smear the cat in axle grease and send him back to the neighbours house. The crazy, lonely cat people, including the good doctor, threw tantrums and got several people (including me!) perma banned. I'm heartbroken. The doc actually thinks there was a real cat covered in grease, and he/she is still upset about the imaginary cat.

:D:D:D

What tantrum did I throw cat greaser?I didn’t even comment on that forum

Do I think polls were suppressed? I think that was what you were implying (Would that you took a leaf out of the hero du jour's book, the chapter on Plain Speaking :rolleyes:)

1. because that would only lead more of the people suspicious of an establishment plot to vote for Casey. It would be counter productive.
    2. These polls are planned well in advance and the companies doing them would have their credibility and hence their viability destroyed if an employee ever blew the whistle on a poll being suppressed on the instructions of shadowy overlords.

I dunno. If the client (media) sets up a contract with a polling company in advance, I really can’t grasp why out of all the weeks in the lead up to an election that they wouldn’t have picked the final week. Election fever is at its height in the last week. Makes no sense to me.

wexie wrote: »
    I guess in that regard he's pretty standard for Irish politicians.

Well the ones that have shared the power since the foundation of the state anyhow. And they have practically merged to prevent any shifting of that power swap.

• Advertisement

What tantrum did I throw cat greaser?I didn’t even comment on that forum

Yet you've stalked me since, obsessing about an imaginary cat :o

I dunno. If the client (media) sets up a contract with a polling company in advance, I really can’t grasp why out of all the weeks in the lead up to an election that they wouldn’t have picked the final week. Election fever is at its height in the last week. Makes no sense to me.

We had a poll published the Sunday before the vote.
    Remember, they didn't know a candidate was going to spray the room with a Gatling gun of irrational incitement.
    A week out in a election it was fairly evident the turnout/interest is low is not all that unusual I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

https://twitter.com/endafelle/status/1055833921114529794

https://twitter.com/Colm_Keaveney/status/1055833976693317633

I voted for Casey during lunch and ran into a pollster there. Apparently Miggeldy is just edging it as of now.

I wonder will the after work surge and the low turnout change any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I am not going to stop criticising ethnic groups for deeply homophobic and deeply misogynistic cultures and practices. You may choose to excuse them and let them off but I won't.

Except that I have actually gone in there, and challenged such views directly rather than complain anonymously on-line.

I excuse nothing - I work to change it.

spray the room with a Gatling gun of irrational incitement.

Think-of-the-Children.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Except that I have actually gone in there, and challenged such views directly rather than complain anonymously on-line.

I excuse nothing - I work to change it.

"Traveller culture is deeply misogynistic and homophobic".

Do you agree or disagree that this is a fair statement?

You know there is something called societal responsibility and leadership.

It is a sad day that any law requires enforcement. In an ideal society, people respect the law. There is no doubt that Traveller culture does not respect the rule of law in the same way that the settled community does. Like their misogynist and homophobic cultures, this is not something that should be condoned or defended because it is part of their culture.

I am in favour of all people respecting the law in the same way and I put a responsibility on political, community and ethnic leaders to lead the way in that regard.

I don't disagree.

But, where I would disagree is demonizing an entire community, (I believe someone here called for a "culling" ), is a tactic worth pursuing.

Why the hell would anyone want to be part of a society that views you as interbred scum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

There are people that are homophobic in all cultures

We had a poll published the Sunday before the vote.
    Remember, they didn't know a candidate was going to spray the room with a Gatling gun of irrational incitement.
    A week out in a election it was fairly evident the turnout/interest is low is not all that unusual I would say.

The poll published last Sunday was from information gathered up until the 12th. Today is the 26th. The poll published on the Saturday was from info up until the 16th.

In the 2011 election the info gathered was in the final week. I would have to check previous elections.

I doubt the polling company can just publish info even if they had it. The client (media) would not be impressed.

This is just my guess.

I agree.

Do you agree screaming misogynistic homophobes at them isn't going to change that?

At least those working to change that are trying to have an impact. Bates doing F all but spouting condemnation from a safe distance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I don't disagree.

But, where I would disagree is demonizing an entire community, (I believe someone here called for a "culling" ), is a tactic worth pursuing.

Why the hell would anyone want to be part of a society that views you as interbred scum?

The free money, martyrdom complex and freedom to break whatever laws you damn well please and have a fully funded organisation ready to blame the rest of us for looking sideways at you.

goat2 wrote: »
    There are people that are homophobic in all cultures

Ain't that the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't disagree.

Well, you need to distinguish between individual posters rather than labelling all who are voting Casey in a particular way.

I have concerns about the methodology used to define ethnic groups and its applicability to travellers. I also believe that like many aspects of other cultures, there are really serious problems with aspects of traveller culture - respect for others, misogyny, homophobia, respect for the rule of law, respect for property - but nowhere have I said that travellers should be culled. Neither have I said that they are interbred scum. Yet you lump anyone who has an issue with traveller culture or is voting Casey in together in a neat little generalisation that is the exact thing you are accusing them of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,757 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Is that even contentious?

The free money, martyrdom complex and freedom to break whatever laws you damn well please and have a fully funded organisation ready to blame the rest of us for looking sideways at you.

You hate Travellers.
    Nothing anyone can say or do will change that.

Others do not share your views.
    They would be the ones actually trying to effect changes.

But you carry on hating - in an equal way of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

3 no 1 votes for Casey in this house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Do you honestly believe that (point no 2)??

Nobody is claiming that polls have been manipulated, that would fall into the conspiracy/shadowy overlords category.

Denying the absence and their importance is very very odd in my opinion...there would have been a load of polls in the field (Labour, Newspapers etc), they never saw the light of day...

Well, you need to distinguish between individual posters rather than labelling all who are voting Casey in a particular way.

I have concerns about the methodology used to define ethnic groups and its applicability to travellers. I also believe that like many aspects of other cultures, there are really serious problems with aspects of traveller culture - respect for others, misogyny, homophobia, respect for the rule of law, respect for property - but nowhere have I said that travellers should be culled. Neither have I said that they are interbred scum. Yet you lump anyone who has an issue with traveller culture or is voting Casey in together in a neat little generalisation that is the exact thing you are accusing them of.

Well, I've been called a liar, a hypocrite. a simpleton, an apologist... and *gasp* a Traveller so perhaps spread that advice to deal with individuals around to those who are voting for Casey.

I will say that those who vote for Casey due to genuine concerns are placing themselves in the same camp as those calling for "culls" and using terms like "interbred scum".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

3 no 1 votes for Casey in this house

I convinced my aul lass to vote Casey even though she was suspicious of his stance on neutrality lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am just back from voting.

I could not believe how many people were milling around, I had to wait in line to get my ballot papers. Maybe it was just a blip but still.

Anyway I voted Casey no. 1. I gave no preference to MDH or Liadh Ni R for reasons that many others may not either. Went to fourth preference only. I sure am revealing a lot here but what the heck.

I would be a total hypocrite if I had voted any other way given my views on what Casey said and how it was ignored or vilified by the media and the Government.

Doesn't matter to me whether he is elected or not, but I do hope he gets a decent enough vote now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement