Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The poll published last Sunday was from information gathered up until the 12th. Today is the 26th. The poll published on the Saturday was from info up until the 16th.

In the 2011 election the info gathered was in the final week. I would have to check previous elections.

I doubt the polling company can just publish info even if they had it. The client (media) would not be impressed.

This is just my guess.

Polling company or client (the list of possible whistleblowers grows) I still cannot see them risking their credibility (maybe the Indo would as it has none :)) doing something like this.
    I reckon, an election that looked like a sure thing and budgets is the reason here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Casey is my vote.

That will cheer MDH up: according to RTE election analyst the turnout at this stage is comparable to the last Presidential election. Overall it was 56%

Teatime rush expected shortly. We'll see how that goes, numbers wise.

Polling company or client (the list of possible whistleblowers grows) I still cannot see them risking their credibility (maybe the Indo would as it has none :)) doing something like this.
    I reckon, an election that looked like a sure thing and budgets is the reason here.

We’ll never know. The only poll that matters will be with us in less than 24 hours probably.

Best of luck Francie, it’s been emotional :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

lotsobear wrote: »
    When all the people coming home from work (the providing class) get to the polling stations this this evening Casey will get a huge surge of votes. The establishment will be sent a clear message that the ordinary decent person has had enough.

I’m on my way home now to do exactly that. I hope many others are too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I’m on my way home now to do exactly that. I hope many others are too.

Working from home today and it's been busy but I got out at lunchtime.. Casey #1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Be careful out there.

We may be living in a little bubble in the corner of the internet, and the status quo may not change much.

We have to prepare ourselves for disappointment in Casey's vote. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You d be surprised how popular populism is, so hang tight

We’ll never know. The only poll that matters will be with us in less than 24 hours probably.

Best of luck Francie, it’s been emotional :D

It's been typically presidential! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Be careful out there.

We may be living in a little bubble in the corner of the internet, and the status quo may not change much.

But since according to his supporters here Casey apparently just said what "everyone" thinks surely he'll win by a landslide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Be careful out there.

I definitely think that online polls and threads won't translate into the "Real World" in terms of turnout, but I do expect a significant vote in Casey's favour to be reflected in the final tally.

I don't think anyone expects different. This has become more about sending a message that "the people who get up early" have had enough!

The real test of that sentiment though will be the next General Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,774 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The real test of that sentiment though will be the next General Election.
    I think you are right...however I am in Dublin South Central though so not exactly a thrilling group of people to choose from!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Be careful out there.

I'm happy with 2nd place. Two weeks ago he was polling at 1% and 500-1 or something like that.

We must be realistic, he won't win but 2nd with a decent vote would be a great result and might start some conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Calhoun wrote: »
    Lol lads there is no way Casey is winning, just be happy that he might get number 2.

apart from 1 or 2 posters, i think everybody is realistic that higgins is winning this.

however, casey coming 2nd would be a serious statement from the people of ireland.

Even 18-20% would be a massive f you to political correctness and everything else that is driven into irish people through propaganda and bias politicians, lobby groups and the media.

some people, have had enough and want a democracy full of equality, fairness and justice amongest other things....not a dictatorship which is what we are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    But since according to his supporters here Casey apparently just said what "everyone" thinks surely he'll win by a landslide

But given that everyone considers him a racist ( according to the other 5)and nobody thinks like he does, he hasn't a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what would be dissapointment?

he was heading for about 30,000 votes 2 weeks ago and 1-2%.

PP have him at 18%. if he was to get that, based off the last time, it would represent about 400,000 votes. that would be an incredible turnabout for somebody nobody liked 2 weeks ago

some people, have had enough and want a democracy full of equality, fairness and justice amongest other things...

By selecting a minority community as a target? Time to get down of that horse called Irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I have said this a number of times over last couple of days it all depends on if FG voters and FF voters are going to vote for Casey.

And from what I have heard personally it is happening with some of the old long term FG voters voting for Casey as slap in the face for Leo.

Now of course that could be just some people talking, but if enough FG and ff voters go with Casey Higgins could be in trouble.

I am not allowed discuss …

2nd place for Casey is a win as far as I'm concerned. It will also annoy liberal twitter types, always a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

By selecting a minority community as a target? Time to get down of that horse called Irony.

Not by selecting them as a target.

Just want to hold them to the same standards as the rest of us.

Think we've been over this once or twice already no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Do I think polls were suppressed? I think that was what you were implying (Would that you took a leaf out of the hero du jour's book, the chapter on Plain Speaking :rolleyes:)

No I don't think the polls were suppressed for two reasons:
    1. because that would only lead more of the people suspicious of an establishment plot to vote for Casey. It would be counter productive.
    2. These polls are planned well in advance and the companies doing them would have their credibility and hence their viability destroyed if an employee ever blew the whistle on a poll being suppressed on the instructions of shadowy overlords.
    Not worth it for an election like this.

Shadowy overlords?? Polling companies are hired by other companies to do polls. If the company decides they don’t want to run with the polls they don’t have to, nothing to do with the polling company

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Francie when is your secondment to the Labour crowd over so that you will be back to just defending shinners and provos ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

PP have him at 18%. if he was to get that, based off the last time, it would represent about 400,000 votes. that would be an incredible turnabout for somebody nobody liked 2 weeks ago

If you believe the media and some on here he was on 2% yesterday, the latest polls

jmayo wrote: »
    I have said this a number of times over last couple of days it all depends on if FG voters and FF voters are going to vote for Casey.

And from what I have heard personally it is happening with some of the old long term FG voters voting for Casey as slap in the face for Leo.

Now of course that could be just some people talking, but if enough FG and ff voters go with Casey Higgins could be in trouble.

A lot of FF and FGers are unhappy with party leadership so many will vote Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I was thinking about him not gaining that amount of votes in the long run. Apologies for being so cautious.

We know he will not win, but hopefully he will get the kind of vote you mention. I am wary though, and I cannot explain why. Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

Shadowy overlords?? Polling companies are hired by other companies to do polls. If the company decides they don’t want to run with the polls they don’t have to, nothing to do with the polling company

Well that was what I was getting at. That the client company would suppress the poll (as the poster hinted at) and would therefore be the shado...aw nevermind, maybe I am wasting my time explaining that one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,519 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

apart from 1 or 2 posters, i think everybody is realistic that higgins is winning this.

however, casey coming 2nd would be a serious statement from the people of ireland.

Even 18-20% would be a massive f you to political correctness and everything else that is driven into irish people through propaganda and bias politicians, lobby groups and the media.

some people, have had enough and want a democracy full of equality, fairness and justice amongest other things....not a dictatorship which is what we are at the moment.

18-20% just gives encouragement and a simplistic formula for whoever wants to get into power next.

You might have some genuine candidates running for genuine reasons and causes.
    Then you'll have the candidate that just wants to get in for the craic so they pick whatever populist topic they can stir the most shite on and get elected.

If we end up with that kind of populist shite here, just remember the votes that gave it a foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Be prepared also for the news of which constituency PC received the largest vote....another favourite of our Media types!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭Damien360

A lot of FF and FGers are unhappy with party leadership so many will vote Casey.

Nothing to do with it, although it is a true statement. This is the anti-PC vote finally arriving in Ireland. US got it with Trump and UK got it with Brexit (which backfired a bit). Italy got the same with their new government. Voters are fed up with political correctness as it stamps on common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Be prepared also for the news of which constituency PC received the largest vote....another favourite of our Media types!

Will Casey come first in any constituency? I think perhaps Tipperary where turnout is 50% in some booths.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement