Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

MFPM wrote: »
    I'm not sure who's laughing more - me or Casey! The idea that he cares one way or another about you is laughable - he's using Travellers for his own ends, it could be anyone - he's Trumpesque in his methods.....

Who cares, he said what everyone is thinking and too afraid to say it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Omackeral wrote: »
    Still waiting for an answer to this.

Why do most people online and in real life conversations have negative things to say when it comes to Travellers? Has the reputation just manifested itself from nowhere. Where are these negative perceptions coming from? Are they some sort of boogeyman? Is everyone in the wrong?

I am have been dealing in various capacities with traveller all through my life.

Most of my experience has been negative

• Registered Users Posts: 82,519 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I like the way he hasn't backed down, he gave the same opinion on Six One, that's what you need, someone who can't have his opinion changed by a few PC heads talking him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Trust me, not everyone is thinking this.

And trust me further: not everything is the least bit "afraid" to talk this nonsense. Sadly.

It's the prejudice it's totally fine to casually drop into "polite" company.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Oops just caught on RTE +1 the interview with K Shanley.

She was NOT happy and didn't give him time to answer the questions she posed. She sounded a bit angry. I suppose she will have no problem with a bunch of caravans outside on her road in the morning so.

Casey kept his cool thankfully. But she was a bit meh.

She must not have been watching SM today. But toeing the RTE line.

Yes saw that too, wouldn’t blame Ms Shanley, that’s her job,and she is rapidly getting the title of ‘attack dog’ on the 6.1.News.

I was a bit disappointed with Mr. Casey, seemed a bit vague in an area he should t need to be vague in.

What he said, in my opinion is correct, and it’s rapidly coming to a situation where there needs to be a strong light shone one the activities of this cohort of people.

There needs to be less mealy mouthed ambivalence to stuff like this, like the black economy, sense of entitlement, but no sense of responsibility.

It’s seems to me that’s its like wanting to get all the advantages of being on a team but contributing nothing.

I for one welcome these comments from a high profile person and feel its time more high profile people were as honest.

• Advertisement

I like the way he hasn't backed down, he gave the same opinion on Six One, that's what you need, someone who can't have his opinion changed by a few PC heads talking him down.

Or by common sense and decency. That's what we need, pig-headed ineducable ignorance!

(The Trump similarities continue.)

I was a bit disappointed with Mr. Casey, seemed a bit vague in an area he should t need to be vague in.

That couldn't possibly be two independent clauses spliced by a comma, could it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

alaimacerc wrote: »

Well, there is always a lunatic fringe but the vast majority of people are thinking this way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

He was dead right though about how there's too much political correctness and how people can no longer express an opinion here.

he wasn't though. in general, people can express an opinion away, they just have to except they will be challenged on it.
    i except that private media is rather different and depending on the particular platform, it will restrict some opinions and i disagree with that but as a whole, people are free to have an opinion.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Or by common sense and decency. That's what we need, pig-headed ineducable ignorance!

:confused:

Eh………

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Precisely what Casey's being met with.

God above, you'd swear Travellers were infallible.

And trust me further: not everything is the least bit "afraid" to talk this nonsense. Sadly.

Well according to the poll on the other after hours thread 97% of people are thinking this.
    That's a slam dunk imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Interesting to note the Hillary-esque basket of deplorables types schtick used to beat anybody who dares to agree with Casey or suggest they might vote for him on the back of what he said* today, the "bad 2%". Gimme a break!

*while conveniently ignoring the fact that it's not so much the content but the willingness to give a candid opinion, one which goes against the sort of focus group type responses we can expect with the usual questions on whether or not the candidate would welcome Donald Trump to Ireland and other such nonsense.

I also find it amusing to think that this is some sort of political masterstroke by Casey, a well thought out ploy by him to rocket up the polls. Anyone who watched the debate on RTE the other night could see that this is a guy who isn't following some sort of well crafted plan of action, at times it looks like he's having the craic. The usual comment that accompanies things like what Casey said today is that he doesn't really believe this, and people are being taken in by some sort of conman. That's total nonsense, and a fairly standard ploy to dismiss views they disagree with as not being credible. You might not like what Casey said today but I'm 100% sure he believes what he says in that regard.

Let's remember what Mr Casey said, bullet points of which are:

- Tipperary: "ridiculous" that travellers are turning down council bought homes because they don't have stables.
    - "I don't believe travellers should be given special status over and above yourself or myself."
    - They are essentially camping on somebody elses land.
    - Travellers depress property values, and nobody would move into the houses in Tipperary due to fear of traveller reaction.
    - They "aren't paying their fair share of taxes"

The comments around ethnicity were barely touched on in the interview, and were covered by pretty much one sentence where he declared it as "nonsense". The only really contentious point he made was the last one about tax, and let's be honest here, it's not really that debatable.

It doesn't matter if he gets 0.00001% of the vote or 100% of the vote, if he voices an opinion let the argument stand or fall on its own merits. I respect the fact that he is willing to express a candid opinion. The fact that his opinion annoy the right people, as well the fact that a high share of people seem to agree with him, is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

John Connors is all fired up on Twitter.

This day just gets better and better, I know Casey hasn't a hope against the garden gnome but I'll vote for him anyway.

Grayson wrote: »
    I can't see how traveller ethnicity is anything he should be deciding on. It's an academic classification. And it's got nothing to do with any criminality that exists within the traveller community. If the majority of academics say that they qualify to be a separate ethnic group then they are a separate ethnic group. If the majority say otherwise then that's true. It's not something he gets to make a decision on.

In practice of course, it is a political decision. A wise politician might well, of course, say "I looked at the academic research, and the consensus said do this. So I did." But it's not like our politicians are always wise. Or that they always put what wits they might have to constructive use...

It's very, very, very clear it's not something the president gets to make a decision on. But that's the hazards of an election campaign consisting in large part of the media insistently asking on what the candidates would do. Then telling them that they can't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

he wasn't though. in general, people can express an opinion away, they just have to except they will be challenged on it.
    i except that private media is rather different and depending on the particular platform, it will restrict some opinions and i disagree with that but as a whole, people are free to have an opinion.

I have spent too long on this thread already but I think the sensible angry majority has got to express their opinion for once thank you, boards.

I will leave it there because experience has shown when a thread gets to the End of the Road it's all downhill.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You've got to love elections.

This one bates Banagher, a guy on 2% in the polls heads merrily down a cul de sac spouting about travelers and broadband neither of which have anything to do with the presidency and people rush to follow him.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

MFPM wrote: »
    Mine too.

Is there any chance we can organise a GoFundMe in his name for the victims of traveller criminality or a maybe a petition that says we back him. Anyone with any other ideas? The time of action is now on this or it'll cool down again. It's important that Casey knows that we stand by him.

I'm not sure who's laughing more - me or Casey! The idea that he cares one way or another about you is laughable - he's using Travellers for his own ends, it could be anyone - he's Trumpesque in his methods.....
    Strange. Your posts don't sound like someone that is laughing. Getting more of an incandescent with rage vibe from them. Although I wouldn't rule out maniacal cackling.

nope fake news.
    he said what only some think, and aren't to afraid to say, but claim they are in the aim of trying to make out that they are victims who are being oppressed and silenced, when they are far from it.
    Well, there is always a lunatic fringe but the vast majority of people are thinking this way.smile.png

i doubt they are.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Interesting to note the Hillary-esque basket of deplorables types schtick used to beat anybody who dares to agree with Casey or suggest they might vote for him on the back of what he said* today, the "bad 2%". Gimme a break!

The comparison here seems very inexact. Only half of Trump's supporters were claimed to be the deplorables. And "we hate Travellers, and the "PC brigade" that won't let use say so!" isn't exactly much of a basket, is it now?

I'm sure Casey, and his "don't you very dare compare him to Trump!" followers will be delighted by the comparison, though.

• Advertisement

I have spent too long on this thread already but I think the sensible angry majority has got to express their opinion for once thank you, boards.

I will leave it there because experience has shown when a thread gets to the End of the Road it's all downhill.;)

You are not wrong in that opinion and subsequent comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,519 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

elperello wrote: »

This one bates Banagher, a guy on 2% in the polls heads merrily down a cul de sac spouting about travelers and broadband neither of which have anything to do with the presidency and people rush to follow him.

It has him wall to wall in the media today, not heard any campaign news from any other candidate, it's like a mini "Grab them by the pussy" moment for the campaign, I suppose he could have backed down and said it was just locker room bar stool talk.

Well according to the poll on the other after hours thread 97% of people are thinking this.

97% of people responding to AH polls is a loooooong way from "everybody" at large. Trust me on that, if on nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

elperello wrote: »

There isn't much that has anything to do with the presidency. Farce of a contest for a largely meaningless position that most people won't bother their hole voting in it anyway.
    A candidate says something that resonates with people. Who cares what his motives are. What is it that has you so filled with awe at your own genius in seeing through Peter Casey, that the rest of us mortals are not seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Jackman25 wrote: »
    There isn't much that has anything to do with the presidency. Farce of a contest for a largely meaningless position that most people won't bother their hole voting in it anyway.
    A candidate says something that resonates with people. Who cares what his motives are. What is it that has you so filled with awe at your own genius in seeing through Peter Casey, that the rest of us mortals are not seeing.

It's easy to see through such transparency.

Noveight wrote: »
    Precisely what Casey's being met with.
    When he's looking in a mirror? (Which I imagine he must do a long, as his self-estimation seems might greater than anyone else's.)
    God above, you'd swear Travellers were infallible.

You'd think they had the same right to be denigrated one at a time, like "normal" folk, rather than en masse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

he said what only some think, and aren't to afraid to say, but claim they are in the aim of trying to make out that they are victims who are being oppressed and silenced, when they are far from it.

Are you referring to Travellers here ? Genuine question.

ah it's not in real terms though. the amount of people both posting in threads like this on after hours, or voting in the various poles, are in a very very tiny minority compared to the general population. no doubt a number outside here share the same views but even so it's quite likely that they are in a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,900 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

As a person who has spent 4 years battling travelers on the road beside our estate and the counsel/receivers who own the area doing nothing Casey is saying is true. Are there good travelers of course there are but until Pavee Point and the other traveler groups start representing only them and speak up against the others then I am afraid it will never change.

Edit Of course Casey will not win but that is not the point of this. The point is the conversation has now been started in the open and others will see it is okay to go and talk about this. This will continue long after Peter Casey

• Advertisement

97% of people responding to AH polls is a loooooong way from "everybody" at large. Trust me on that, if on nothing else.

Close on 1000 people voting with such a strong bias towards one side would make this poll result statistically significant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement