Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,774 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    All true.
    With goldfrapp blaring on a boom box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

honeybear wrote: »
    Each to their own! Tbh, while I might not agree with FF policies, practices etc. I respect everyone’s individual right to vote as they see fit.

It was a joke! (Albeit not exactly hillarious)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well, ya know what? In my voting place, the voting booths where facing the invigilators. I had to position my body away from them- I thought the booths would have been away from everybody but no- probably a mistake and I should have called it out but since there was no-body else in the room when i was voting i managed to get by- but still.

I would absolutely hate that.

Our set up is a quadrant of booths, ok all have their backs to the checkers, but I will hold off until I get in to back part, where no one can see. Feck them all!

Two hours to the Exit Polls.

How are ya all holding up.

Speak Now wrote: »
    My guess

Higgins 60%
    Casey 15%
    Ní Riada 12%
    Gallagher 8%
    Freeman 4%
    Duffy 1%

At the end of the day...

taking everything into consideration...

on reflection....

I'd say that.....

...and I'm sticking my neck out here......

..Duffy will do better than we think.

I know he's polled low throughout, but out of all the people putting themselves forward for election, he actually came out better in the debates than most of them IMHO.

He's still a bit of a wet fish handshake sorta guy- but I think he carried himself well. He's certainly my number 1 out of the dragons lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

By the way Francie can you see past your prejudice?

That poster is blinded by snobbery. Best to leave her/him/it in the corner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

I see some Higgins supporters on twitter panicking about the low turnout and a potential Casey upset. Would be great but really can't see it. I think around 15-20% would be decent result all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Higgins supporters may think he has it in the bag he's so far ahead. I think Casey finishing 2nd will send a message, and maybe a low turnout will show the electorate are very dissatisfied.

I wouldn't be a Higgins supporter, I thought he ran out of steam after two years - sadly I didn't think there was a better candidate available.

If the electorate is dissatisfied - I certainly am! - then they should show that in a G.E.. The Presidency is about making nice to the neighbours and saying "well done" with tea and bikkies to the citizenry. Opening things and generally giving speeches telling us we're doing jolly well - exactly as the Queen does.

I do think having read and understood the Constitution should be a requirement.

The main message Casey will have sent is if one stirs up some controversy with a bit of perceived "plain speaking" it will get attention and hopefully votes. Even better if when one gets elected to a ceremonial position there will be absolutely nothing one can do about what ever it was - so no need to take any actual action to solve the problem one was so "brave" in highlighting.

I'm just petrified waiting on TLLS line up- is it going to be all RTE heads again.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Really? Haven't thought about the 18-24 vote or similar before now so don't know what to think- what's your rationale? Is it that they "grew up" with that president? If so, might be bang on the money. Just curious as to how you came to that conclusion BTW, nothing more.

They "grew up" with him, and also he hasn't put a foot wrong during that time - that's really important. And then there's the fact that quite a lot of people seem to become more individualistic and right-wing as they get older, and regard themselves as 'heroes' and 'martyrs' for simply going to work, and 'victims' for having to pay their taxes. Rather than just sucking it up and getting over themselves, the real 'snowflake generation' will signal their perceived 'virtues' by voting for a multi-millionaire who avoids tax and cynically pretends to give a shit about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Would people be honest at exit polls without fear of been branded a trump supporter?

I'm just petrified waiting on TLLS line up- is it going to be all RTE heads again.:P

Sorry, I haven't watched it in years. But I guess you might be right.

Would people be honest at exit polls without fear of been branded a trump supporter?

Well if I were asked I would be, albeit in a quiet corner of the schoolyard/polling station lol.

But I presume the pollsters have anonymity covered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

They "grew up" with him, and also he hasn't put a foot wrong during that time - that's really important. And then there's the fact that quite a lot of people seem to become more individualistic and right-wing as they get older, and regard themselves as 'heroes' and 'martyrs' for simply going to work, and 'victims' for having to pay their taxes. Rather than just sucking it up and getting over themselves, the real 'snowflake generation' will signal their perceived 'virtues' by voting for a multi-millionaire who avoids tax and cynically pretends to give a shit about them.

I agree that younger people would vote mainly for Higgins. I think the there is a poor turnout for young people today though. It just isn't interesting or fashionable like the other elections, and it's basically a done deal already.

They "grew up" with him, .

Yeah I'm with ya on that aspect- the rest of your post, wouldn't necessarily agree with but the 18-24 people, I think they'll have "fond" memories - in the absence of any other candidate that comes within a 40 foot barge pole distance of presidential material, that would do it.

I would absolutely hate that.

Our set up is a quadrant of booths, ok all have their backs to the checkers, but I will hold off until I get in to back part, where no one can see. Feck them all!

I don't think you should have your back to the checkers. Should be that you go around the other side so all they can see is your legs. (Not YOUR legs Spanish Eyes, in particular, just "legs" in general. :p
    Not that anything is wrong with your legs.

Not that i've ever seen your legs.

I'll stop now.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I don't believe so. Michael D isn't running away with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I think so.

Saying you're against abortion during the referendum could get you in massive trouble in the wrong circumstances, being anti abortion means being sexist, Iona Institute fundamentalist Christian, all of that. Yet the exit poll in that case was extremely accurate.

Casey just said what pretty much anyone who has had experience with Travellers, bar your south county Dublin lad with a Trinners degree, knows and agrees with. That's way less controversial in my opinion.

We'll pretty much know in a couple of hours.

I don't believe so. Michael D isn't running away with this.

Seriously? Peter Casey voters would lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Possibly not. I still think MDH will top the polls by a healthy margin if anything he'll pick up number twos. I'll be in shock if he doesn't! What surprised me most about this election is the total apathy.

There was tumbleweed blowing through my polling station and talk about the few that had turned up to vote not being aware there was a referendum.

The biggest worry I have with this entire process is that the low turnout will mean a no in the blasphemy referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Seriously? Peter Casey voters would lie?

Of course Higgins wouldn't. Pure as the driven snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Peter Casey elected and a "no" in the blasphemy referendum.

I'd actually BUY a copy of the Irish Times on Monday if that happened :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I think the turnout was so low because everyone I spoke to said Miggedly had it in the bag.

That might be a bad thing for him though, if people who were going to vote for him just thought "ah he'll win anyway".

Could be an interesting night.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

They "grew up" with him, and also he hasn't put a foot wrong during that time - that's really important. And then there's the fact that quite a lot of people seem to become more individualistic and right-wing as they get older, and regard themselves as 'heroes' and 'martyrs' for simply going to work, and 'victims' for having to pay their taxes. Rather than just sucking it up and getting over themselves, the real 'snowflake generation' will signal their perceived 'virtues' by voting for a multi-millionaire who avoids tax and cynically pretends to give a **** about them.

Horse s***e of the highest order ...'haha, what a story Mark'.
    Anybody could turn that B-movie spiel on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭touts

Interesting reports on RTE of low turnout nationwide but particularly low in Dublin where the issues highlighted by Casey are least felt and highest in places like Limerick where those same issues are strongly felt. Based on that my bet is:

Higgins 49-51%
    Casey 25%
    Rest mid to low single digits

If that happens then it will be a sign that there is a seat for candidates of Casey's outlook in most Dail constituencies. If he takes Higgins to a second count then that will scare the hell out of the existing political parties. That in turn will lead to an election within 3 months as FG & FG run to the electorate before someone organises a proper right of center trump style movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

Just back from voting. Myself and OH both gave Casey no. 1. I really hope he gets 15-20% of vote but with the turnout being so low it’s doubtful.

I really hope it goes to a second count. That’s the exciting bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Peter Casey elected and a "no" in the blasphemy referendum.

I'd actually BUY a copy of the Irish Times on Monday if that happened :pac:

Fintan O Toole - We Need to Talk About The Racism Epidemic In Ireland

Una Mullally - Mediocre White Man Elected by Mediocre White Men

Michael D Higgins - Where's My Fùcking Money?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,814 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Casey voters are like vegans...they tell you they are whether you want to know or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Even if the first prefs are close can see mdh being a lot more transfer friendly than Casey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,883 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Like the media I have imposed a blackout on myself commenting on the elections for a few more hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement