Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Wow somebody will be in trouble

anewme wrote: »

Peter Casey is like the boy who declared that the Emperor has no clothes on.

I think he's the one Dragon who could have been president and just blew it yapping on about travellers, his mother and the welfare state.

He started out talking about the diaspora and should have continued talking about future jobs, the need for foreign investment in Ireland- both North and South- and the absolute need to continue investment in education, especially in Science of all disciplines.
    We've had 7 years of "the arts"- which is great n all but, time for a new theme- and he blew it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

mikemac2 wrote: »
    That’s the last election that clerk will work, will be booted off the panel.

twitter.com/EmmaMurphy12150/status/1055908517402566658

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hopefully there is a legal penalty. Fine of a thousand etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yeah there'll definitely be an investigation into that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Just copy the link twitter.com/EmmaMurphy12150/status/1055908517402566658
    d copy it on the bar at top

• Registered Users Posts: 68,814 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Turnout looking like mid 40's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think he's the one Dragon who could have been president and just blew it yapping on about travellers, his mother and the welfare state.

He started out talking about the diaspora and should have continued talking about future jobs, the need for foreign investment in Ireland- both North and South- and the absolute need to continue investment in education, especially in Science of all disciplines.
    We've had 7 years of "the arts"- which is great n all but, time for a new theme- and he blew it!!

What ever chance he has he helped it. The above approach was 2%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Wouldn't be surprised if she gets away with it she seems to have deleted her profile, can't make out her full name

goat2 wrote: »
    Just copy the link twitter.com/EmmaMurphy12150/status/1055908517402566658
    d copy it on the bar at top

I cant post URLs as I'm a new user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

If true, very worrying that someone in plum job behaved like this.

Danzy wrote: »
    What ever chance he has he helped it. The above approach was 2%.

Ah, I don't dispute he raised his election rating by doing what he did. But he really could have positioned himself for election 2025 and very possibly snatched the position from Mickey D in this election, but with a more positive mindset.

No. Low turnout means dedicated voters, and that will mostly mean older generation and that will mean Higgins.

I know what you mean, but there is a scenario where a very low turnout of dedicated voters can mask the highly politically motivated. A freak result as it were.
    Not suggesting it has happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

If this is true, it looks like the bookies are getting jumpy as well:

https://twitter.com/brianmchb/status/1055898806947065856

This could get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

honeybear wrote: »
    If true, very worrying that someone in plum job behaved like this.

So bored with the abysmal turnout, had to say something.

I am not impressed. One bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭golfball37

I put 50e on President elect Casey last week at 16/1 without Michael D. Can’t believe more didn’t fill their boots on this. Some lads I know a day earlier got him at 50s without MDH

I see the guy on the Ryanair flight says he 'is not racist'.

Can he be our next Prez? Get your bets on now! Just sayin.

*(and do you wanna buy a lottery ticket for de poor?) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Think there is going to be a huge urban rural divide in those voting for Casey. I know lots of intelligent (& sane) rural dwellers who are voting for Casey. I voted for him but can’t claim to be intelligent (& sane)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,774 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Before he started talking about travellers and welfare he was on 2%...he didn't stand a chance

I know what you mean, but there is a scenario where a very low turnout of dedicated voters can mask the highly politically motivated. A freak result as it were.
    Not suggesting it has happened here.

Yeah, we'll both wait and see. Traditionally, in times of low electorate voting, it's the older generation that come out. Goes back to sense of duty and especially, for those around 50+, Eastern Europe and their lack of voting rights.

"The fact we have a vote, it should be exercised"- leaving aside candidates etc for a second, do you thing that still stands in Ireland? It did once upon a time.

• Advertisement

If this is true, it looks like the bookies are getting jumpy as well:

https://twitter.com/brianmchb/status/1055898806947065856

This could get interesting.

Id take the money....he is 10 to 1 still.
    If you are so confident take the money and stick on another bet surely?...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Think there is going to be a huge urban rural divide in those voting for Casey. I know lots of intelligent (& sane) rural dwellers who are voting for Casey. I voted for him but can’t claim to be intelligent (& sane)

Know loads of urban middle class middle income mortgaged type people voting for him. The type who are fed up with Ms. Cash et al taking home the same pay cheque as them for doing s f a and still wanting more.

I see the guy on the Ryanair flight says he 'is not racist'.

Can he be our next Prez? Get your bets on now! Just sayin.

*(and do you wanna buy a lottery ticket for de poor?) :D

He's 75. His "buddies" from his work era, said he would never say such a thing. Only wondering has early onset of dementia set in? Some diseases like that can change personality radically. Not excusing him in any way shape or form if no medial issue there. Just wondering.
    If it wasn't typical of him in the past, might be other issues now.

I remember some old family friend attending a family wake- they laughed out loud all through the reposing. I was delighted she was there but poor thing, she was suffering from dementia at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is really all about shutting up the PC overlords no matter where you live, IMO.

Yeah, we'll both wait and see. Traditionally, in times of low electorate voting, it's the older generation that come out. Goes back to sense of duty and especially, for those around 50+, Eastern Europe and their lack of voting rights.

"The fact we have a vote, it should be exercised"- leaving aside candidates etc for a second, do you thing that still stands in Ireland? It did once upon a time.

There could be a surprise, I don't know.
    I said earlier, I have worked at having a good cross section of opinion on my twitter and FB and this election has failed to ignite anyone on there. In fact boards.ie does seem like a very intense bubble.

The low turnout doesn't reflect sentiment on boards.ie but it certainly does represent my social media feeds.

It's a curious one. My waters say the incumbent will romp home and Casey will maybe beat Duffy and Freeman...but who knows.

It is really all about shutting up the PC overlords no matter where you live, IMO.
    Peter Casey overlords? Yeah I agree. Most of them on this thread :)

gmisk wrote: »
    Before he started talking about travellers and welfare he was on 2%...he didn't stand a chance

Well, he didn't know what he knows now. Had he invested money into

"the arts v's Jobs' campaign he might have got even more votes?

There could be a surprise, I don't know.
    I said earlier, I have worked at having a good cross section of opinion on my twitter and FB and this election has failed to ignite anyone on there. In fact boards.ie does seem like a very intense bubble.

The low turnout doesn't reflect sentiment on boards.ie but it certainly does represent my social media feeds.

It's a curious one. My waters say the incumbent will romp home and Casey will maybe beat Duffy and Freeman...but who knows.

Yeah, well AH is a law onto itself.

Your FB and Twitter feeds are probably more representative.

My own view is that there will come a tipping point day soon, where the "older vote" will become unpredictable. And it's coming soon as older people can't mobilise to vote and are, quite simply, dying off :P - the people moving into their 50's /60's have yet to be evaluated on their decision making process.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd say you are right about the older voters but it wasn't necessarily a sense of duty or of doing the right thing.

In previous times party workers used to hang around outside Polling Stations and party personation officers were inside some Stations.
    Some people would go to vote on the basis that it would be known if you didn't vote. At least if you voted, though they wouldn't know who you voted for, if you were looking for some favour you could hope they would give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement

Most rural people would have run ins or dealings with travellers at some stage. Irish Times reporters, people in RTE and other liberal luvvies not so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement