Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I see the guy on the Ryanair flight says he 'is not racist'.

Can he be our next Prez? Get your bets on now! Just sayin.

*(and do you wanna buy a lottery ticket for de poor?) :D

Francie, are you a traveler/settled traveler?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,883 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah, well AH is a law onto itself.

Your FB and Twitter feeds are probably more representative.

My own view is that there will come a tipping point day soon, where the "older vote" will become unpredictable. And it's coming soon as older people can't mobilise to vote and are, quite simply, dying off :P - the people moving into their 50's /60's have yet to be evaluated on their decision making process.

Many of the older voters would have voted for Casey, especially those living in rural areas who are afraid of becoming crime victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Most rural people would have run ins or dealings with travellers at some stage. Irish Times reporters, people in RTE and other liberal luvvies not so much.

Paddy O'Gorman has met more than most people.
    I'm looking forward to his book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

anewme wrote: »
    Know loads of urban middle class middle income mortgaged type people voting for him. The type who are fed up with Ms. Cash et al taking home the same pay cheque as them for doing s f a and still wanting more.
    Maybe the type of person who worked hard all there life in a good job, saved up and bought a house in a nice area. To then find a traveller family given a free house next door and make their life hell.

Happens more than you would think. I think it's entitlement and chip on the shoulder from the Ms Cash, Erica Fleming types that annoy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,814 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Most rural people would have run ins or dealings with travellers at some stage. Irish Times reporters, people in RTE and other liberal luvvies not so much.

It needs to be said here . travellers do business in the country too. They haven't been traversing it for years selling nothing. Many many many people buy stuff of them and employ them.
    I did work for them and my father before me, in a service industry and you got paid before you did the work. That business is gone, but never once was there an issue tbh.
    They are, by no means, all criminals.
    They wouldn't have survived if they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yeah, well AH is a law onto itself.

Your FB and Twitter feeds are probably more representative.

My own view is that there will come a tipping point day soon, where the "older vote" will become unpredictable. And it's coming soon as older people can't mobilise to vote and are, quite simply, dying off :P - the people moving into their 50's /60's have yet to be evaluated on their decision making process.

People moving into that bracket are the ones impacted by the welfare state. They are the ones who may have suffered with the property crash, commuter belt , also impacted by the pensions gap, as it moves to 68.

these people are the ones likely to call time on the entitlement culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Maybe the type of person who worked hard all there life in a good job, saved up and bought a house in a nice area. To then find a traveller family given a free house next door and make their life hell.

Happens more than you would think. I think it's entitlement and chip on the shoulder from the Ms Cash, Erica Fleming types that annoy people.

Nail on head.

elperello wrote: »
    [/B]

In previous times party workers used to hang around outside Polling Stations and party personation officers were inside some Stations.
    Some people would go to vote on the basis that it would be known if you didn't vote. At least if you voted, though they wouldn't know who you voted for, if you were looking for some favour you could hope they would give you the benefit of the doubt.
    I'd be interested in learning more if you had some links to that? I wouldn't have thought voter intimidation happened in Ireland but then again, not going to Mass on a Sunday would certainly be commented on - but some links would be good to explore in more detail.

Many of the older voters would have voted for Casey, especially those living in rural areas who are afraid of becoming crime victims.

It's sad that older voters are afraid in their homes and even sadder that they might see voting in a Presidential election will help them.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Francie, are you a traveler/settled traveler?

I've done both family trees back into the mid 1800's on one side and the 1700's on the other and no traveller blood that I can identify, no.
    Why do you ask?

• Advertisement

It needs to be said here . travellers do business in the country too. They haven't been traversing it for years selling nothing. Many many many people buy stuff of them and employ them.
    I did work for them and my father before me, in a service industry and you got paid before you did the work. That business is gone, but never once was there an issue tbh.

Travellers now are a different breed to what they were many years ago. My mother told me they were quite different when she was younger. They weren't running around battering elderly and farmers to a bloody pulp and all the other nonsense they get up to.

I agree though that not all of them are like that, some good ones out there. I don't even have a massive issue with them, they are a long way down on the list of problems in this country. But I don't like the special treatment they get and the fact they cry racism if their activities are ever questioned. They should be treated like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I've done both family trees back into the mid 1800's on one side and the 1700's on the other and no traveller blood that I can identify, no.
    Why do you ask?

Coz you’re special Francie :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why do you ask?

Curious, and trying to understand where you’re coming from to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

It's sad that older voters are afraid in their homes and even sadder that they might see voting in a Presidential election will help them.
    Plenty of old people in rural areas afraid of travellers . I hope they had the good sense to vote in a manner to make their feelings known .

As a good rule of thumb you as an individual should vote how you think a TD would Vote in your situation . Anytime I see TDs vote . They vote in their own personal interests .

I'd be interested in learning more if you had some links to that? I wouldn't have thought voter intimidation happened in Ireland but then again, not going to Mass on a Sunday would certainly be commented on - but some links would be good to explore in more detail.

I don't have any links I'm just recounting personal experience.
    I never said it was voter intimidation.
    It was more subtle than that.
    The party workers outside the Polling Stations would have a cheery salute for everyone but nothing was missed.

Why do you ask?

Maybe he thinks your typing is a wee bit ethnic Francie.

[/B]

I'd say you are right about the older voters but it wasn't necessarily a sense of duty or of doing the right thing.

In previous times party workers used to hang around outside Polling Stations and party personation officers were inside some Stations.
    Some people would go to vote on the basis that it would be known if you didn't vote. At least if you voted, though they wouldn't know who you voted for, if you were looking for some favour you could hope they would give you the benefit of the doubt.

A wily old FF TD here in Monaghan told me he could tell to 80-90% certainty where and from whom his votes came from by analysing the votes. He went through my street identifying votes and with respect to what he knew, he was spot on = 100% right.
    This was back in the day when families where more clearly one party or the other, mind you.
    But tallymen are very skilled guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I don't disagree Francie, I know and live near a lot of decent settled travelers and have no issue with them in anyway whatsoever. some people have turned this into a Traveler issue, the post topic for example. But, the real issue I think for a lot of people is more to do with the PC brigade, unless you say what they want you to say you are racist, homophobic, right wing catholic etc etc,

I am none of the above, but I have my opinions, which differ to the PC brigade

The extreme left is now as bad as the extreme right in shutting down dialogue and discussion, people are afraid to have opinions anymore in fear of being labelled

I don't know if this is "politically correct" or not, but when I was a kid I was "taught" by my elders, there were 2 forms of "traveller"

1. known as the "tinker", who called to the door looking for food, and sometimes, money, but mostly food in the 70s. They were poor.

2. there was another, known as a "dealer"- they sold carpets and the like on bye-passes on the Naas road and other dual carriageways throughout the country. They weren't poor.

Was this the time that the traveller culture "split" between the "haves' and the "have-nots'?
    It would be an interesting investigation and historical enquiry to look at "dealers*" v's "tinkers*" (*words used at the time- 1970s' )

A wily old FF TD here in Monaghan told me he tell to 80-90% certainty where and from whom his votes came from by analysing the votes.
    This was back in the day when families where more clearly one party or the other, mind you.

Yes there was a lot of knowledge in those old guys. They pored through the lists and were better than any computer programme.

Another poster was looking for links about that sort of thing but I don't have any. Do you?

Perhaps it is in books, maybe Sean Duignan.

• Advertisement

Irish Times is reporting that turnout is expected to be well below 50%. It was 56% in the previous presidential election.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Curious, and trying to understand where you’re coming from to be honest.

That I think there are issues with the traveller community but that I find targeting one community and exploiting prejudice and bias abhorrent and needs to be strongly opposed?
    I think that might be the norm, to be honest. We'll see in about an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It might eventually though. If candidates in a GE know that voters are peed off and can now say it without being called racist. Well who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What do you think he can to?

Genuine question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

A wily old FF TD here in Monaghan told me he could tell to 80-90% certainty where and from whom his votes came from by analysing the votes. He went through my street identifying votes and with respect to what he knew, he was spot on = 100% right.
    They are very good by processes of elimination and judgement of working out how you vote . Take away the certainties and it can be done .

I knew plenty like that.
    It's different now though. People don't generally vote the way their parents did.
    I used to know how nearly every house in my locality voted but those days are gone now. Everyone has their own issues and vote accordingly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

Calling it now. If Casey gets 2nd place it will because the majority of Irish society are decent/intelligent/educated and saw through his “hate” filled campaign. Turnout will obv be ignored.

If he somehow he manages to win, it will because the decent people of Ireland became complacement. We should have seen it coming because something something Trump, and something something microcosms and other such ****e.

I don't know if this is "politically correct" or not, but when I was a kid I was "taught" by my elders, there were 2 forms of "traveller"

1. known as the "tinker", who called to the door looking for food, and sometimes, money, but mostly food in the 70s. They were poor.

2. there was another, known as a "dealer"- they sold carpets and the like on bye-passes on the Naas road and other dual carriageways throughout the country. They weren't poor.

Was this the time that the traveller culture "split" between the "haves' and the "have-nots'?
    It would be an interesting investigation and historical enquiry to look at "dealers*" v's "tinkers*" (*words used at the time- 1970s' )

From what I was told they were very different back then to now. My granny used to have the type you listed at number 1 calling around to her house for food etc. They would be in the house and can get given food, clothes etc by people because they were very poor but were very polite and mannerly.

Would anyone seriously trust some of the "modern" travellers now in the house with their grandparents or elderly parents, with all the stories about their treatment and scamming of their elderly with roof jobs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

honeybear wrote: »
    Think there is going to be a huge urban rural divide in those voting for Casey. I know lots of intelligent (& sane) rural dwellers who are voting for Casey. I voted for him but can’t claim to be intelligent (& sane)

Voted today in Blackrock, Dublin. Went to the village after for a coffee, got a few texts from friends while there. myself and the 3 who texted me all voted Casey.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What do you think he can to?

Genuine question.

He can light the way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement