Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What do you think he can to?

Genuine question.

Sorry I phrased that badly.
    I don't think he or any candidate can do anything.
    I posted that early on in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,883 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What do you think he can to?

Genuine question.

He can do nothing BUT they are sending out a message that they are not happy with how things are going and that the trend could carry on into a General Election.

Irish Times exit poll out. Higgins on 56%. Casey second on 21%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Roark wrote: »
    Calling it now. If Casey gets 2nd place it will because the majority of Irish society are decent/intelligent/educated and saw through his “hate” filled campaign. Turnout will obv be ignored.

If he somehow he manages to win, it will because the decent people of Ireland became complacement. We should have seen it coming because something something Trump, and something something microcosms and other such ****e.

It was the Russians that voted Casey in. I see the times is already claiming the "Alt Right" were pushing Casey. Yeah I'm sure farmers care what people on 4chan were saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,855 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That I think there are issues with the traveller community but that I find targeting one community and exploiting prejudice and bias abhorrent and needs to be strongly opposed?
    I think that might be the norm, to be honest. We'll see in about an hour or so.

So you accept that there are issues with the traveller community but naming those issues is a problem?

Did you have a Christian Brothers education?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Odds changing this minute on PP, Casey 1/3 for 2nd.

Exit poll says MDH 58 percent.
    Casey 2nd on 20.7 percent.

Go and collect lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,815 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

21% - 58%

Sin é on the first count.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

It was the Russians that voted Casey in. I see the times is already claiming the "Alt Right" were pushing Casey. Yeah I'm sure farmers care what people on 4chan were saying.

Oh yeah, the Russians. :) How could I have forgotten about those lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Over 20% is a good result for Casey, it would be good if Higgins got under 50% tomorrow and had to get a 2nd count.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    So you accept that there are issues with the traveller community but naming those issues is a problem?

Did you have a Christian Brothers education?

I have been saying that since the start of the thread. :confused:

Go somewhere else blanch if it's a row you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

21% - 58%

Sin n the first count.

1 in 5 agree with Casey...

Many of the older voters would have voted for Casey, especially those living in rural areas who are afraid of becoming crime victims.
    From what I was told they were very different back then to now. My granny used to have the type you listed at number 1 calling around to her house for food etc. They would be in the house and can get given food, clothes etc by people because they were very poor but were very polite and mannerly.

Would anyone seriously trust some of the "modern" travellers now in the house with their grandparents or elderly parents, with all the stories about their treatment and scamming of their elderly with roof jobs etc.

I remember them in my own house as a kid also. Very polite, sitting at the kitchen table, eating stew that mum prepared.

Different times. I still have a great affection for travellers but am also a realist. decades of ill-treatment, lack of education, poverty - what chance do they have?
    If we didn't bring them into mainstream society or accommodate them or whatever the solution is- during the "Celtic Tiger" years- what chance now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Good vote for Casey, time to heed why he got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Exit poll says MDH 58 percent.
    Casey 2nd on 20.7 percent.

Go and collect lads.

So we will never know where the other preferences went will we? If MDH is elected on first count. Maybe we will. Sorry am not up to date on the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Yoda has it in the bag at 58%.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Another 7 years of Mugabe Higgins then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

A lot more than that I'd say, but some like me, didn't give him their No 1.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

1 in 5 of a possible 46% turnout. I said it would be an abject rejection of Casey and it is.

The 'whole country' does not believe in what he said, if the exit poll is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Delighted for MDH only viable candidate for me.
    Casey a pretty amazing result from 2%, politicians are bound to take something from it you would hope...

• Advertisement

Edward M wrote: »
    Good vote for Casey, time to heed why he got it.[/QXUOTE]

And that's the real message of this election.
    Hope they wake up and smell the coffee.

Irish Times exit poll out. Higgins on 56%. Casey second on 21%.

Amazing performance by Casey. What SF would do for that level of vote, or the PDs or Labour.

Only FF and FG have got higher percentages of the vote as political parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

1 in 5 of a possible 46% turnout. I said it would be an abject rejection of Casey and it is.

The 'whole country' does not believe in what he said, if the exit poll is correct.

Just LOL

So we will never know where the other preferences went will we? If MDH is elected on first count. Maybe we will. Sorry am not up to date on the rules.

You will, the dataset will be published eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Jack Moore wrote: »
    He can light the way

How would he do that?

I'm genuinely interested in what people think a man in a ceremonial position is expected to do?

Generally, Irish Presidents do not comment on politics, I am not sure if they are precluded from doing so - but I do seem to recall Haughey getting very annoyed with Robinson for some fairly innocuous comments.

The President is expected to be above politics - which makes it hard to see how Casey could do anything to change anything in the way his supporters seem to think he could.

What a sad post.

It's a massive result for Casey but not just for him, it's for everyone who sent this message to the Govt that they are not happy with the way things are going.
    Massive result altogether and you know it. From obscurity to nearly 21 percent.
    I could never have envisaged that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

You are wrong. 21% is a significant vote. It certainly is not a rejection. Remember that he was at 1 or 2% until he started talking truths about travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Casey results have been incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I thought Casey would get around the magical 12.5% for his deposit and maybe just maybe could stretch to 15%

I never though he’d get 21%, amazing result

Those with bets, drinks are on you !!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement