Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Strange. Your posts don't sound like someone that is laughing. Getting more of an incandescent with rage vibe from them. Although I wouldn't rule out maniacal cackling.

He's just a little angry that the majority of the Irish people's opinion was voiced today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

A candidate says something that resonates with people.
    With... particular people.
    Who cares what his motives are. What is it that has you so filled with awe at your own genius in seeing through Peter Casey, that the rest of us mortals are not seeing.

Here's my guess. The local pub bore might occasionally stand someone a pint, in order to have a captive audience for his bloviating.

Casey has written off €200k or so, which he tells us a little sheepishly he's well able to day. And he gets to be Pub Bore to the entire country. And not for the length of supping a pint, but for weeks on end.

Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

alaimacerc wrote: »
    97% of people responding to AH polls is a loooooong way from "everybody" at large. Trust me on that, if on nothing else.

That result will only apply to the cohort who are subscribed to Boards, but trust me a huge and biggly amount of people are with Casey either on or off Boards.

It must be a shock for some to realise that people do not in general absolutely LOVE Travellers and their nefarious ways. Nor are they delighted to be TOLD how to think and speak either. Now we have someone who will do this. Bon Courage!

But those are the people who have had to deal with them locally. I doubt that many who shout the most in favour of Travellers live within twenty K of them and even more!

Hypocrites the lot of them.

He's just a little angry that the majority of the Irish people's opinion was voiced today.

The angry loud minority confusing themselves for the silent majority again, even as a poll looms that will demonstrate with electoral precision just how wrong there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Make Rathkeale Great Again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

elperello wrote: »
    There isn't much that has anything to do with the presidency. Farce of a contest for a largely meaningless position that most people won't bother their hole voting in it anyway.
    A candidate says something that resonates with people. Who cares what his motives are. What is it that has you so filled with awe at your own genius in seeing through Peter Casey, that the rest of us mortals are not seeing.

It's easy to see through such transparency.
    It's the message not the man that is resonating with people. I'd imagine a lot of people who agree with the message can also see through the transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I wonder is it time to adopt a convention on the use of certain acronyms and initials? I propose the following usage:

P.C. - A term used to describe a subset of society whos main goals appears to that of impeding free speech and to be offended

PC - A candidate in the upcoming Irish presidential election

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

With... particular people.

Here's my guess. The local pub bore might occasionally stand someone a pint, in order to have a captive audience for his bloviating.

Casey has written off €200k or so, which he tells us a little sheepishly he's well able to day. And he gets to be Pub Bore to the entire country. And not for the length of supping a pint, but for weeks on end.

Bargain.

Nailed it there.
    He's the kind of guy you'd duck into the snug to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Speaking the truth and common sense seems to get you into a whole heap of trouble nowadays the pc mob must never be allowed to stop anyone from speaking the blatant truth because if they are allowed to succeed there's no hope for anything anymore.

It must be a shock for some to realise that people do not in general absolutely LOVE Travellers and their nefarious ways. Nor are they delighted to be TOLD how to think and speak either. Now we have someone who will do this. Bon Courage!

It must be a shock to believe this sort of guff, only to repeatedly find out differently. Except that apparently they're unable to find it out, no matter how often they're told.

The boorish views on Travellers of some are no shock to anyone. Just sad. And yes, deplorable.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Nailed it there.
    He's the kind of guy you'd duck into the snug to avoid.

I need to book out a snug for the next nine days, then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Nermal

Grayson wrote: »
    I can't see how traveller ethnicity is anything he should be deciding on. It's an academic classification.

It's not - it's a legal one, and it's perfectly legitimate to contest it, because it's used to get special treatment, not equal treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

You'd think they had the same right to be denigrated one at a time, like "normal" folk, rather than en masse.

It's not unreasonable to view Traveller's as a grouping once you've accurate statistics of course. What's unreasonable about it?

80% unemployment, 1 in 5 categorised as having a disability and they make up 10% of the male prison population (22% of the female) despite being only 0.6% of the national population.

But yeah, forget those stats, we're wrong because we're not assessing them as individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

thread needs a poll
    will vote for casey to get comrade higgins out, he is like the pig napoleon in animal farm
    :)
    i'd say michael d will need a line of something to stay up for the debate tonight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

nope fake news.
    he said what only some think, and aren't to afraid to say, but claim they are in the aim of trying to make out that they are victims who are being oppressed and silenced, when they are far from it.

i doubt they are.

You think people are saying these things about travelers openly not a chance they are 2 afraid of what will happen to them as they are a law upon themselves as we have seen in the area around the estate I live. There is no way Casey will win and this would not help him as people will not vote anyway. However Casey has opened up a conversation which others will see others take it up when he will not back down and it will be a topic long after casey

P.C. - A term used to describe a subset of society whos main goals appears to that of impeding free speech and to be offended

ITYM:

P.C. - A lazy snarl used by unimaginative reactionaries to describe anyone politically to the left of them. Attila the Hun included.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's the message not the man that is resonating with people. I'd imagine a lot of people who agree with the message can also see through the transparency.

I hope so.
    On the other hand there seem to be a lot of Peter Casey fan club members knocking around this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It must be a shock to believe this sort of guff, only to repeatedly find out differently. Except that apparently they're unable to find it out, no matter how often they're told.

The boorish views on Travellers of some are no shock to anyone. Just sad. And yes, deplorable.

What's your own views on travellers there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

The media in this country are disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Vizzy wrote: »
    Are you referring to Travellers here ? Genuine question.

no, i'm not. i'm refering to some of peter's supporters, who think he is saying what everyone thinks and is to afraid to say, when that actually isn't the case. in reality the people who think such, are not afraid to say whatever they want, but they claim otherwise so that they can claim that they are being silenced and prevented from saying whatever they want. in short, and in my view at least, they like to play the victim.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

You think people are saying these things about travelers openly not a chance they are 2 afraid of what will happen to them as they are a law upon themselves as we have seen in the area around the estate I live.

Ooooh, by "openly" you mean to someone's face? Well, that's a different grade of mindless aggression entirely, isn't it?

But "openly" as in, dumping rancourously prejudiced remarks about "them" into "respectable" company, behind their backs? Happens all the bleedin' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Have you got proof of this and you be very wrong. Ever live beside a group of them

The angry loud minority confusing themselves for the silent majority again, even as a poll looms that will demonstrate with electoral precision just how wrong there are.
    CwrD0QoXAAE2ryH.jpg

mfceiling wrote: »
    What's your own views on travellers there?

That they're an ethnic minority by any objective assessment, that there's a tremendous amount of prejudice against them, and that on both accounts, they should have "official" recognition as such?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I couldn't disagree more. I would bet everything I own on it being the majority.

Nearly everyone I have talked to on the issue has absolutely no time for traveller culture and thinks they're running riot. My neighbour, an honest hard working farmer, was robbed by them a few weeks ago. You won't find many bleeding hearts for them in my community. I would wager heavy that that's the case in most communities, rural and urban, around the country. The only place I see a little sympathy for them is online, but you have to expect to see all sorts posting on social media.

Have you got proof of this and you be very wrong. Ever live beside a group of them

I'm specifically characterising as guff the view that everyone hates Travellers, and that no-one ever says so.

I wonder is it time to adopt a convention on the use of certain acronyms and initials? I propose the following usage:

PC - A candidate in the upcoming Irish presidential election

what do we want, PC
    when do we want it, NOW

autumn2018 wrote: »
    CwrD0QoXAAE2ryH.jpg

Casey to romp home with an "Electoral College landslide", then? Or are you trolling and whatabouting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

That they're an ethnic minority by any objective assessment, that there's a tremendous amount of prejudice against them, and that on both accounts, they should have "official" recognition as such?

And that there just a great bunch of lads altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah....

Do you think they're hard working?

Do you think bare knuckle boxing is a good way to solve disputes?

Do you wonder why they don't value education?

Do you think their way of life is archaic and not in keeping with modern norms?

Do you understand how a huge amount of people are wary of them due to negative interactions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement