Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

I agree with this, those that dislike Casey are clinging to the traveller comments, it was his views on welfare in general that struck me. I voted for him to get him to come second & a political party might wake up & listen to the working public.

Maybe now we will get a political party that represents the frustrated majority in Ireland!!

jjmcclure wrote: »
    This is a great result for Casey and the center right in Ireland.

This vote was not about what he said about travellers, it was a bout a general fatigue with the left wing nonsense thet has taken over in Ireland.

Its about a welfare state that is incredibly unfair to those who work
    Its about a double standard with regard to travellers and the law
    Its about the tax we pay being pissed away on wasters like Margeret Cash

Enough is enough!! If Casey founds a political party that continues to call out the lefty bull**** I won't only vote for them.... I WILL RUN FOR THEM!!!

MAKE IRELAND FAIR AGAIN!! Order your hats here!:D:D

Oh seriously. This is just getting pathetic. We're in full employment.

Peter Casey wanted to implement an American model of welfare that meant 1000's of people living under motorway bridges, just like America.

Seriously, I despair for the intelligence of the voting electorate voting for Peter Casey and his spin doctoring.

I don't have any respect for the other two dragons throughout the election but by Jayzuz, I have total respect for them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Brilliant result for Casey, and hopefully a turning point in Ireland's embrace of American-style identity politics. A real slap in the face for Varadkar and the pious elites in Dublin 4. Our newest "ethnic minority group" won't like it one bit, but Casey has spoken the truth and been vindicated by winning 10 times the support he had before he angered the progressive left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I said it earlier. 20% would be about right for those who have a kneejerk generalised opinion of travellers.

Casey got 20% of a 46% -50% max turnout. That is even lower.

I know the 'victory' spin has started already, but I am chuffed at these figures. Ireland is not declining into to hate and selfishness, that is good enough for me.

You should have been hoping for 40%+ for Casey. Had he been elected it would have been the best thing to happen to Travellers.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    So old style FG?

I'm struggling to remember when we had an actual left(ish) of centre government.
    The Rainbow Coalition came close perhaps? Waaay back in the 1990s.

Generally Ireland has had right of centre governments so it's amazing how the left can be blamed for our financial woes.

Ehh... Bollix. No references or sources required :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

blanch152 wrote: »
    Amazing performance by Casey. What SF would do for that level of vote, or the PDs or Labour.

Only FF and FG have got higher percentages of the vote as political parties.
    Great and so much off it will be from rural people who are afraid in their houses .

Leo will run but he can’t hide on this one ...can he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

bubblypop wrote: »
    If anything comes from this election it should be how we vote for president.
    Clearly a certain percentage of the electorate don't even understand the role of the president.
    Maybe it should be taken out of the people hands.
    I for one, don't ever want a Trump type president representing my country.

No platform , is it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

I said it earlier. 20% would be about right for those who have a kneejerk generalised opinion of travellers.

Casey got 20% of a 46% -50% max turnout. That is even lower.

I know the 'victory' spin has started already, but I am chuffed at these figures. Ireland is not declining into to hate and selfishness, that is good enough for me.

Absolute bluff. Tell the truth, you ducked and dived trying to cover all eventualities, but just like the All Ireland Football Final, your predictions were way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

But they only wanted to vote for him after he had a rant about travellers.
    So nothing to do with the type of president he would be, or if he was the right man for the job.
    That's actually what they should have been voting for.

Don’t be so naive. It’s politics. There are all sorts of motivations.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Interesting result as may be a opportunity for a definite right of centre party to be set up in the country off the back of what Casey has said. There is no real definite real right of centre party in the country as of yet, but I'm not too sure how one would really tract here if one was set up, Renua didn't do too well on their first outing, are they fully gone? But the ultra ultra left never did any well here either. Divisive politics of the ultra left vs ultra right won't really fly here as there is actually some semblance of community still all throughout the various towns and rural areas, even though there are problems and things to be disscussed that sometimes aren't really highlighted, the strong sense of community in most areas keeps most divisive political issues from spiralling out of control. Small blessing for being able to live in a small country I suppose, nobody wants the noise here whats going on over in the likes of America at the moment.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Whatever about the whole debate about the traveller issue, which has never been fully and openly dealt with, to the shame of our political establishment, the use of it by Casey in a Presidental election is a cheap trick, and not appropriate for the contest that this was.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You should have been hoping for 40%+ for Casey. Had he been elected it would have been the best thing to happen to Travellers.

Why

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm sceptical of the IT figure to be honest... the media have spent the last fortnight belittling Casey for his views and the threat he represents to the cosy setup between the 2 main parties and said media hangers-on, to the point of where polls in the last week+ have been suspiciously absent.

Now, just after closing time at the polls we have reports that MDH has comfortably won when it seems that Casey gathered overwhelming support in that time.

Maybe that sounds like a conspiracy theory, but to be very honest given the aforementioned relationships between those at the top in this country and those who report on the state of affairs, how would we know anyway at this point?

I agree. This is a very very corrupt country. But still I am happy with Peter coming 2nd. I said before I would be happy with 15-20% to send a message. 21% in an exit poll is a great result and I'm confident we may have a few shy Casey voters adding to that tomorrow. be good if it went to 2nd count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

At least it was a protest vote in a reasonably controlled environment - it sends a message without doing anything critical. Brexit and Trump show what can happen when you ignore and deflect certain arguments and views for too long.

I gave PC my no2 purely for the purposes of trying to send a message. I personally think the man is a gob****e of the highest order, but his views on welfare and entitlement mirror those of a large, frustrated part of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

omega man wrote: »
    Watch the media avoid mentioning casey’s massive swing. It’ll all be about Higgins easy win.

Personally I’m delighted. Had hoped for at least the 20 mark.

The cute politicians will take note though I’ve no doubt.

This media?
    Opinion polls in the early part of the campaign estimated negligible support for Mr Casey. However, after his criticisms of Travellers, and his assertion that there was a growing culture of welfare dependency in Ireland, support appears to have surged towards Mr Casey in the final weeks of the campaign, with pollsters at some polling stations reporting that he was attracting as many voters as Mr Higgins...
    ...The expected result comes after a scrappy campaign that saw no candidate emerge unscathed. While Mr Higgins was never moved from his perch as hot favourite throughout, he shipped considerable criticism over his use of the Government jet, expensive hotel accommodation on overseas visits and the lack of transparency over how an annual €300,000 allowance for his office was spent.

While Mr Higgins was often put on the defensive, especially during the debates he attended, none of the other candidates were able to turn Higgins’s discomfort into support for them, and the incumbent retained a huge lead throughout the campaign.

The breakout from the pack of challengers only came late in the campaign with Mr Casey’s criticisms of Travellers and aspects of Ireland social welfare system.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-exit-poll-michael-d-higgins-on-course-for-decisive-first-count-victory-as-peter-casey-surges-into-second-place-1.3677340

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Oh no. Seriously?

Right Wing Fascism is on the up so.

What is it about liberals who react to alternative opinions with emotive language?

Are the "intellects" that inarticulate?

Peter Casey wanted to implement an American model of welfare that meant 1000's of people living under motorway bridges, just like America.

Seriously, I despair for the intelligence of the voting electorate voting for Peter Casey and his spin doctoring.

I don't have any respect for the other two dragons throughout the election but by Jayzuz, I have total respect for them now.

Whats your point.

My IQ average = 137

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Heading out for pints now.

Yaaahoooooo.

Don't make a feckin eejit of yourself down there, and KEEP THE FECKIN NOISE DOWN COMIN BACK TONIGHT. (Thats what my wife would be shouting after me as I saunter out to the pub) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,816 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Lol.
    21 percent. T-w-e-n-t-y o-n-e percent.
    Read it and weep. Message clearly and loudly sent.

Brilliant result.

I never doubted there were 20% of 40-50% of the people who felt that way Tayto.

It isn't any proof whatsoever of what was claimed here - the posts I objected to - that 'the whole country' or 'most people' or '90%' believe what Casey was selling.

It really is a great and comfortable night for this democrat anyhow. The sad posters trying to make it about SF (FFS!) are making this very fine bottle of Trapiche even more enjoyable.

Well done Michael D. I look forward to our next meeting and your thoughtful intelligent speech!

Modern progressive Ireland Abú!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭omega man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭rodders999

The work shy masses, the people who contribute the square root of F all to society yet take take take at every given opportunity have had their cards marked tonight.

And to think this time last week the lunatic fringe thought their biggest worry was man size tissues and sleeping beauty - well business just picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

But why then are people having 7 children and expecting the state to pay for them.

Why did Ms.Cash say she wouldn't be getting a job. ?

People are sick and tired of paying for these whingers and freeloaders.

That's the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why

Because that would have put a proper focus on travelers. More resources would have been pumped into keeping them in education etc.

What is it about liberals who react to alternative opinions with emotive language?

Are the "intellects" that inarticulate?

This thread is full of "emotive language". It's the only way to get a vote heard around here :P

I agree. This is a very very corrupt country. But still I am happy with Peter coming 2nd. I said before I would be happy with 15-20% to send a message. 21% in an exit poll is a great result and I'm confident we may have a few shy Casey voters adding to that tomorrow. be good if it went to 2nd count.

This is not a corrupt country!
    Lol.
    It's funny when people say that, it's not even the most corrupt country in Europe! Maybe you should travel a bit.......

blanch152 wrote: »
    Oh, I know, but apart from Labour in 1922, I don't know of any political party that has polled as high as that. The Shinners must be very disappointed for example.

Yes, I’d say they are. But what does this Casey vote mean? What happens going forward? Is there room for a new party, because Renua rapidly flopped. Will FF/FG merely polish up their law and order image to compensate the supposed anti traveller sentiment out there and head this off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Sitting here watching the Late Late with a glass of red. The day gets better and better.

How many people in the electoral register?

anewme wrote: »
    But why then are people having 7 children and expecting the state to pay for them.

Why did Ms.Cash say she wouldn't be getting a job. ?

People are sick and tired of paying for these whingers and freeloaders.

That's the message.

But like, what's the Presidency election got to do with it?

We need a man or woman in a Rolls Royce, parading around, saying "stuff"- it's always been that way:confused:

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pity that the present incumbent wasn't honest about another seven year gig that he said would not happen.

That is what swung it for me anyway. I dislike dishonesty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement