Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Will MDH even last 7 years. He has his accounts to be published in the next few months. The effort to go through to delay them until after the election suggests there is something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭billr67

backspin. wrote: »
    Casey certainly tapped into something. Have a look at the statistics re traveller unemployment. Its 84%. (https://www.paveepoint.ie/tag/unemployment/) That is just not sustainable.

Their way of life is not conducive to the modern world. Its very welfare reliant. If their chosen lifestyle paid for itself then OK but it doesn't. It is massively subsidized by the settled community.

They represent about 0.6% of the population yet make up 10% of the male prison population and 22% of the female prison population.

I think there is no future for the traveller lifestyle and they should become settled, educate their children, get jobs and join the rest of us in the 21st century.

Cop yourself on very few people will hire a traveller, try telling any interviewer you're a traveller and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

bubblypop wrote: »
    If anything comes from this election it should be how we vote for president.
    Clearly a certain percentage of the electorate don't even understand the role of the president.
    Maybe it should be taken out of the people hands.
    I for one, don't ever want a Trump type president representing my country.

The voters don't understand the role?
    Try the candidates bar one this time around.

Potential candidates should be interviewed and pass a certain mark in regards to their knowledge of the constitution, the arms of govt and the role they want to apply for.

Leaving it to a few thick counnty councils is utterly stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I've taken the time to read all of your post.
    On one hand, it's "protest vote"- I get that.

I just don't understand the "on welfare with a better lifestyle than those working" comment.
    And more importantly, I don't think the current government will interpret the vote that way. I don't like any of the candidates BTW, including Higgins.

But I'd have voted for someone like the Sinn Fein/IRA candidate if I really wanted to protest.
    What dont you understand about people on welfare having a better lifestyle than those working.
    You must be earning a lot if you find this so hard to comprehend.

Did you not see the figures posted about Cash, she is getting the equivalent of a salary of 80,000 euros without lifting a finger. This is inflated by the proceeds of crime so she could have the bet part of 100,000 to live on, no one has any idea really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

backspin. wrote: »
    Casey certainly tapped into something. Have a look at the statistics re traveller unemployment. Its 84%. (https://www.paveepoint.ie/tag/unemployment/) That is just not sustainable.

Their way of life is not conducive to the modern world. Its very welfare reliant. If their chosen lifestyle paid for itself then OK but it doesn't. It is massively subsidized by the settled community.

They represent about 0.6% of the population yet make up 10% of the male prison population and 22% of the female prison population.

I think there is no future for the traveller lifestyle and they should become settled, educate their children, get jobs and join the rest of us in the 21st century.

I think the Travellers might have gotten away with the endless handouts if they stayed under the radar.

Their continued lawlessness & harassment of the very settled community that supports THEM, has put them under the microscope.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

• Advertisement

billr67 wrote: »
    Cop yourself on very few people will hire a traveller, try telling any interviewer you're a traveller and see what happens.

Why will no employers hire travellers, oh let me think about that one.

HMMMMMM

Its the brazenness of the travellers that has got to the rural community. They have intimidated so many people and they are engaged in vicious assaults and robbery and the Gardai cant get a handle on them at all. This may be due in part to many of the travellers involved in terrorising communities being minors.

There are a lot more of us than them and Peter Casey has shown what speaking out about this issue can do. His bravery might encourage community leaders to also be equally unafraid to demand action, I hope so anyway.

tretorn wrote: »
    You must be earning a lot if you find this so hard to comprehend.

Well, it's all relative. What's "a lot" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Allinall wrote: »
    Where we go from here is back to normal on Tuesday morning.

MdH will be back in Phoenix Park and life will go on.

All the hysteria over the last couple of weeks will be forgotten

I'm not so sure. Tipp Co. Council for instance, will double down on the stables bollocks. Dublin airport may feel they are now somewhat empowered to tell the travellers, looking for compo between 100-800k for being moved off their (Dub airport) land, to fcuk right off. (link to that in my previous recent posts)

Will MDH even last 7 years. He has his accounts to be published in the next few months. The effort to go through to delay them until after the election suggests there is something up.

What could really be wrong though?
    If he has a certain amount of expenses & he uses them, fair enough.
    I see the biggest scandal was that he went to Belfast in the government jet. Hardly a big deal. It costs a lot to keep it on the ground, can't see any issue with actually using it!
    & I don't very much that PC s video about him spending 10k on dog grooming is bullsh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hopefully this party will be formed by some of you and further dilute the right wing vote that currently votes for Fianna Fail and Fine Gael and we might finally end up with a proper left wing government in this country.

That FG and FF are considered right wing parties shows clearly how left leaning Ireland is. Irish people would lose theirs minds with the American Republican party.

• Advertisement

Why will no employers hire travellers, oh let me think about that one.

HMMMMMM

Exactly so square the circle of travellers claiming benefits while nobody will employ them...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The voters don't understand the role?
    Try the candidates bar one this time around.

Potential candidates should be interviewed and pass a certain mark in regards to their knowledge of the constitution, the arms of govt and the role they want to apply for.

Leaving it to a few thick counnty councils is utterly stupid.

Sometimes I think voters should be asked to show they understand what they are voting about - a work colleague of my OH thought the Blasphemy law protected us from Islam... errr... noooo... it actually kinda protected Islam in an unworkable piece of legislation kinda way...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

I think the Travellers might have gotten away with the endless handouts if they stayed under the radar.

Their continued lawlessness & harassment of the very settled community that supports THEM, has put them under the microscope.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

What really bugged me was Martin Collins of Pavee Point on Prime Time.
    He was asked about the high proportion of traveller young offenders in Oberstown and his answer (unchallenged of course) was racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

That FG and FF are considered right wing parties shows clearly how left leaning Ireland is. Irish people would lose theirs minds with the American Republican party.

The Right is a spectrum just like the Left.
    FF/FG are centre- right.

The US Republican Party is accelerating towards bats*it crazy right. It used to about wanting small government and was quite socially liberal.

Obviously a lot more than those earning just above the income limit to qualify for any handouts.

Its these people who would probably be better off not working but unlike travellers they have self respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Absolutely fcuking delighted, THE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    FF/FG are centre- right.

I would say both are clearly centre left. All parties in Ireland at the moment are on the left when you look at policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I work 8-8 for my 80k but Ms. Cash never did a days work in her life but gets the same.

I'm prepared to work for myself, but getting pretty fed up with being expected to feel sorry and pay up for this type of person.

Don't feed me crap and expect me to believe it - I don't.

I pay through the nose for my townhouse, but free houses must have stables?

The message is: we are not fooled.

Absolutely fcuking delighted, THE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN people.

I for one, welcome our new overlords.

tenor.gif?itemid=8989557

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. Tipp Co. Council for instance, will double down on the stables bollocks. Dublin airport may feel they are now somewhat empowered to tell the travellers, looking for compo between 100-800k for being moved off their (Dub airport) land, to fcuk right off. (link to that in my previous recent posts)

The Tipp story was bollixs to begin with. The travellers there are not getting what they want or any special treatment. QED for the slow learners who think SEMS brings extra rights. (hope you are reading this Peter)

• Advertisement

Exactly so square the circle of travellers claiming benefits while nobody will employ them...

Oh yawn, what do you want us to do.

Knock on the travellers door in the morning and get their children up and ready for school. You can be defeatist about the adult layabout travellers, they are beyond redemption and they have no desire to work, they just want enough money to drink the day away.

Jesus, are we going to have to listen to the same crap that we have been listening to since the 1970s.

Its not the employers fault travellers cant /wont get jobs, you can bring an ass to water but you cant make him drink.

anewme wrote: »
    I work 8-8 for my 80k

You earn 80K?

Well pardon me. :o

*bows reverently*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sometimes I think voters should be asked to show they understand what they are voting about - a work colleague of my OH thought the Blasphemy law protected us from Islam... errr... noooo... it actually kinda protected Islam in an unworkable piece of legislation kinda way...

Yes that was my impression re. the Blasphemy issue.
    There was a lot of confusion among people about what it was about.

I don't know about an exam for voters though :)

I hope the new Garda commissioner is taking note.

Knock on the travellers door in the morning and get their children up and ready for school. You can be defeatist about the adult layabout travellers, they are beyond redemption and they have no desire to work, they just want enough money to drink the day away.

Jesus, are we going to have to listen to the same crap that we have been listening to since the 1970s.

Its not the employers fault travellers cant /wont get jobs, you can bring an ass to water but you cant make him drink.

Way to lose an argument man I salute you. At least you wear you're ignorance and bigotry right there on your sleeve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

FF/FG are centre- right.

The US Republican Party is accelerating towards bats*it crazy right. It used to about wanting small government and was quite socially liberal.

I think it`s more that Trump in particular is moving that way rather than the Republican party per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I for one, welcome our new overlords.

tenor.gif?itemid=8989557

That was actually banned in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The Tipp story was bollixs to begin with. The travellers there are not getting what they want or any special treatment. QED for the slow learners who think SEMS brings extra rights. (hope you are reading this Peter)

Enlighten us with the real story.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You live in a society - a community. I have avoided saying this in this thread - under severe duress - but short of a wiping this community out, we have to find ways as a society to solve the problems presented.
    And to solve the problems we need to know why those problems exist.

And that means the settled community has to look very critically at itself as well as the traveller community.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    That was actually banned in Ireland.

Until 1987

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement