Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

What were the projections in the Blasphemy ref?

If you mean the exit poll its 71% Yes, 26% No, 2% didn`t vote.

Pretty disappointed at the numbers coming out tonight to be honest.

Peter Casey could have said that people need more services and less cash benefits and we as a society should work towards that and he as President would be proud to sign such bills into law. He didn't, he lazily attacked so called scroungers.

He could have said we need to work with our Travelling Community and heal the wounds that exist between them and the settled community and he would be proud as president to lead. Instead he stuck the knife in, pulled the wound right open a emboldened others to follow suit.

He blurted out any line he thought might win him a vote. He made accusations against other candidates he simply could never have backed up.

And one in five voters fell for some element of it. :(

Can't disagree with what you've said :)

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'd love if Casey composed a poem.....

....dedicated to his mother.:)

Maybe MDH could write it for him as a sort of consolation prize

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

What about "Rednecks" - any "word" on those?

Rednecks voted Casey to stick it to the establishment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

weve jsut had the biggest left wing budget in years. to call FF/FG even remotely right, is laughable.

they are and always will be, left wing parties. as are all in this country. tonights results wont change them, it would need a new party to bring about change, but it may never happen.

To think that budget was left-wing is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Vizzy wrote: »
    Maybe MDH could write it for him as a sort of consolation prize

Might aswell since he does fcuk all else only waffling and going to matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Peter Casey could have said that people need more services and less cash benefits and we as a society should work towards that and he as President would be proud to sign such bills into law. He didn't, he lazily attacked so called scroungers.

He could have said we need to work with our Travelling Community and heal the wounds that exist between them and the settled community and he would be proud as president to lead. Instead he stuck the knife in, pulled the wound right open a emboldened others to follow suit.

He blurted out any line he thought might win him a vote. He made accusations against other candidates he simply could never have backed up.

Do you mean heal the wounds caused by thugs breaking into pensioners homes.

Do you mean heal the wounds caused by machete attacks at weddings and funerals.

I dont need to work with the travelling community. There are enough do gooders working with this community, in fact they have had their hands held for the last thirty years and Margaret cash is a sterling example of the outcome of all the resources that have been spent on this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

tretorn wrote: »
    It just goes to show you how deluded those twits who work with travellers are and its galling to think taxpayers are funding this nonsense.

The arrogance of a crowd of career criminals getting themselves an exclusive status of their own.

The hate is strong in you isn't it.

Stupid rednecks

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

But he didn't though

He simply said he though everyone should be treated equally and that, in his opinion, travellers shouldn't be afforded extra entitlements as they don't contribute to society on a par as everyone else.

And obviously loads of people agree with that sentiment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

And he did....very much so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Leo Varadkar asked the voters to send a message to Peter Casey... And they did: 21 percent of the first-preference vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    To think that budget was left-wing is laughable.

care to refresh our minds then about the right wing elements of it?

while your at it, tell us about the social welfare budget and how much that was?how much money spent on social/affordable housing? foreign aid budget? and so on and so on

also explain how the tax payer was looked after?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I dont think that is fair. Casey's critic of feminism was spot one. You know many people don't believe travellers are a unique ethnicity. It has no bearing on being racist or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Looking like Casey got a solid 20% of the vote. It’s a start. Now hopefully like minded people can form a party to facilitate the voters who support Casey. With enough support a coalition govt is not unfathomable. Hopefully then Casey and Co. can start lashing into the parasites and scum taking the piss out of the rest of us.

Time to wash the scum from the streets :)

Lets reopen Spike Island put them on there. Maybe throw the Labour party there too and we're all set.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    The hate is strong in you isn't it.

giphy.gif

sydthebeat wrote: »
    But he didn't though

He simply said he though everyone should be treated equally and that, in his opinion, travellers shouldn't be afforded extra entitlements as they don't contribute to society on a par as everyone else.

And obviously loads of people agree with that sentiment

What extra entitlements do they get exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

tretorn wrote: »
    Do you mean heal the wounds caused by thugs breaking into pensioners homes.

Do you mean heal the wounds caused by machete attacks at weddings and funerals.

I dont need to work with the travelling community. There are enough do gooders working with this community, in fact they have had their hands held for the last thirty years and Margaret cash is a sterling example of the outcome of all the resources that have been spent on this group.

Like I say, emboldened others.

Just point and say I don't like you all you want. That wont help things.

People just want Travellers to go away, it's not going to happen so more do gooders please. And better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Yes, we fell for it. We are just not as smart as the likes of you who saw right through it. Maybe we should all be sent to some camp to educate us on how to vote properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

-
    Casey got 20% of a 46% -50% max turnout. That is even lower.

He got 20% of the turnout. That's the fact. I mean, Higgins gets elected on a first count and you're still crying with pedantics. A message has been fired across the bow loud and clear here. Peter Casey was on 1 or 2% a fortnight ago. A couple of reactionary and candid home truths see him absolutley sky rocket. That's a direct show of support from a good chunk of the general populace. That's nort even really up for debate. I hope someone or some party with enough gusto and conviction recognises this and carries the ball forward. Could really translate into something down the line.

Well done to Mr Higgins on his election.

• Advertisement

robp wrote: »
    I dont think that is fair. Casey's critic of feminism was spot one. You know many people don't believe travellers are a unique ethnicity. It has no bearing on being racist or not.

I haven't called anybody a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Lets reopen Spike Island put them on there. Maybe throw the Labour party there too and we're all set.

Spike Island is already re-opened as an award winning tourist attraction.
    You should visit sometime, it's great.

Ah, thanks for that. you see, I don't know too many "rednecks" so great to hear it from the "horses mouth'- as it were.

Not saying that you're a horse or anything. :)

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Leo Varadkar asked the voters to send a message to Peter Casey... And they did: 21 percent of the first-preference vote.

Hopefully he will take some message from it.
    Absolute conman. The Taoiseach for the man who gets up in the morning when he is running for FG leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Casey got nearly three times as many votes as the Sinn Fein candidate, this is incredible seeing as she would have party support behind her.

Joan Freeman wasnt at the polls at all,, who thought it was a good idea to put her forward.

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Yes, we fell for it. We are just not as smart as the likes of you who saw right through it. Maybe we should all be sent to some camp to educate us on how to vote properly.

It was transparent, so yea, I saw through it. But I dont think my brain power had anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

bubblypop wrote: »
    If anything comes from this election it should be how we vote for president.
    Clearly a certain percentage of the electorate don't even understand the role of the president.
    Maybe it should be taken out of the people hands.
    I for one, don't ever want a Trump type president representing my country.

You dont deserve the vote. How bout that?

It's funny, you're using calming turquoise in your avatar, just like David Ike did on his Wogan TV appearance with his jump-suit in the late 80s/early 90s

Do you have much in common with David Ike, other than colouring, that is. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

robp wrote: »

I haven't called anybody a racist.
    Fair enough. I am attacking the media consenus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Looking like Casey got a solid 20% of the vote. It’s a start. Now hopefully like minded people can form a party to facilitate the voters who support Casey. With enough support a coalition govt is not unfathomable. Hopefully then Casey and Co. can start lashing into the parasites and scum taking the piss out of the rest of us.

Usual narrow minded nonsense talk.

Honestly, say Casey was given free reign to do whatever he wanted, how exactly could he deal with the "parasites and scum"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement