Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Blanch, he isn't a 'party'. He put a SINGLE spurious opinion of travellers to the public and 20% of a 46-50% turnout bought it.

You're really clinging to that aren't you!?
    He can now be ignored forever. Thankfully.

Nope. Message sent loud and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

It was transparent, so yea, I saw through it. But I dont think my brain power had anything to do with it.

Everyone saw through it.
    The voters used him as much as he used them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

tretorn wrote: »
    Casey got nearly three times as many votes as the Sinn Fein candidate, this is incredible seeing as she would have party support behind her.

Joan Freeman wasnt at the polls at all,, who thought it was a good idea to put her forward.

Obviously the councils who backed her nomination did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Casey got nearly three times as many votes as the Sinn Fein candidate, this is incredible seeing as she would have party support behind her.

Joan Freeman wasnt at the polls at all,, who thought it was a good idea to put her forward.

Liadh and the Shinners will be crying into their poppys tonight ha ha ha

Omackeral wrote: »

Nope. Message sent loud and clear.

So, what message might that be?

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    You dont deserve the vote. How bout that?

No problem not voting for president if they can come up with a better way to elect one.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bubblypop wrote: »
    What extra entitlements do they get exactly?

For one, the proprietary construction of sheltered housing schemes for single family groups with ancillary stables for "pets"

What do you think is afforded by being granted ethnetic status?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

care to refresh our minds then about the right wing elements of it?

while your at it, tell us about the social welfare budget and how much that was?how much money spent on social/affordable housing? foreign aid budget? and so on and so on

also explain how the tax payer was looked after?

I'm not defending that budget for a second.
    I'm merely saying it wasn't left-wing - and it wasn't.
    Tax breaks for private landlords - do me a favour. :rolleyes:
    Social housing still to be provided by private developers.
    Pensioners having to wait for their miserly increase while TDs got their increase immediately.
    Left-wing me hole.

All this government does it farm out what it should be doing to private operators and rely on charities (another form of privatisation) to provide essential services while wasting money on layers of bureaucracy - none of that is left-wing... apart from the bloody bureaucracy. No escaping that sh*te no matter who is in power.

We need more left -wing thinking.
    An NHS cradle to grave health service none of this two-tier BS, and keep the RCC away from it.
    Local Authority housing.
    Properly subsidised childcare.
    State run schools - not controlled by any religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jackman25 wrote: »
    What do you think it is that the settled community are doing wrong?

Bear with me here:

There is a traveller family here in settled accommodation. The father is dead and the mother is not capable, sadly of rearing a family of (I think) 3 boys and a girl.

The eldest boy kinda looks after the rest but he himself has issues.

My youngest son is in school with one of them, they have always been at loggerheads, since primary school. They are now in Junior cert.

One evening the elder brother landed at my door, he explained that my son had been slagging his brother about his dead father and he wanted it to stop. There was nothing threatening about him, he was genuinely concerned.

I have to admit, I lost it. The elder brother had more composure than me.

On the deck in front of the house I called out my son, and the young fella he had been supposedly slagging was there too, and we had a conversation. It was horrible and there was tears, but it turns out the two of them were at it. The young traveller had been slagging my son about a suicide in the family. So both of them were at it.

The problem was resolved (I hope) but one of the most amazing things that happened was this: when we (my wife and I) did the motivational stuff, i.e. saying stuff with both of them...like 'look you two guys have been in school since primary blah blah and we have always thought you were a great fella, and remember when we did the art project and you did that lovely picture etc etc...the traveller lad started to cry and had to leave.

We felt we had to take the issue to the school so they could keep an eye and told the liaison teacher of the boy crying and she said something that stunned me. She said, 'oh they cannot handle praise or positive stuff, because they are so used to negative reactions, they expect them'.

Having had that experience I knew that we as settled people have done something awful here. And we need to change, just as much as they do.

That is a true story.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    For one, the proprietary construction of sheltered housing schemes for single family groups with ancillary stables for "pets"

What do you think is afforded by being granted ethnetic status?

I don't believe there is anything being granted because of their ethnic status.
    In fact, I think it makes no difference whatsoever if they have it or not, to anyone. Settled or traveler.
    Which is why I don't see a big problem with them having it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Looking like Casey got a solid 20% of the vote. It’s a start. Now hopefully like minded people can form a party to facilitate the voters who support Casey. With enough support a coalition govt is not unfathomable. Hopefully then Casey and Co. can start lashing into the parasites and scum taking the piss out of the rest of us.

Most of the people who voted for Casey will vote for FF or FG in the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

As I said already the travellers demand to be accommodated beside their extended family and if the council dont agree the stronger travellers will intimidate other travellers into leaving.

The councils want halting sites to be a success so they spent hundreds of euros of your money and my money repairing vandalism and picking up rubbish travellers have discarded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Bannasidhe wrote: »

while your at it, tell us about the social welfare budget and how much that was?how much money spent on social/affordable housing? foreign aid budget? and so on and so on

Pensioners having to wait for their miserly increase while TDs got their increase immediately.
    Left-wing me hole.

All this government does it farm out what it should be doing to private operators and  rely on charities (another form of privatisation) to provide essential services while wasting money on layers of bureaucracy - none of that is left-wing... apart from the bloody bureaucracy. No escaping that sh*te no matter who is in power.  

An NHS cradle to grave health service none of this two-tier  BS, and keep the RCC away from it.
    Local Authority housing.
    The NHS doesn't run as well as you think it does. The only part of the Irish health system that works well is private or heavily private. Funny that. Private health is more efficient than public. Central planning just doesnt work. It just isnt efficent. And before you make the arguement that the US  has private and it is bad well that is not true. The US's free Medicare service is anything but private.

Time to wash the scum from the streets :)

Lets reopen Spike Island put them on there. Maybe throw the Labour party there too and we're all set.

Go get em Travis Bickle. Yee haw! (Or something to that effect.....)

Bear with me here:

they have always been at loggerheads, .

I was at loggerheads with you last week. I'm not this week. You're posting style has changed. So has mine.

there's hope.

Left-wing me hole.

All this government does it farm out what it should be doing to private operators and  rely on charities (another form of privatisation) to provide essential services while wasting money on layers of bureaucracy - none of that is left-wing... apart from the bloody bureaucracy. No escaping that sh*te no matter who is in power.  

An NHS cradle to grave health service none of this two-tier  BS, and keep the RCC away from it.
    Local Authority housing.
    The NHS doesn't run as well as you think it does. The only part of the Irish health system that works well is private or heavily private. Funny that. Private health is more efficient than public. Central planning just doesnt work. It just isnt efficent. And before you make the arguement that the US  has private and it is bad well that is not true. The US's free Medicare service is anything but private.

Left-wing me hole.

Local Authority housing.

Left-wing me hole.

Local Authority housing.

Bear with me here:

There is a traveller family here in settled accommodation. The father is dead and the mother is not capable, sadly of rearing a family of (I think) 3 boys and a girl.

The eldest boy kinda looks after the rest but he himself has issues.

My youngest son is in school with one of them, they have always been at loggerheads, since primary school. They are now in Junior cert.

One evening the elder brother landed at my door, he explained that my son had been slagging his brother about his dead father and he wanted it to stop. There was nothing threatening about him, he was genuinely concerned.

I have to admit, I lost it. The elder brother had more composure than me.

On the deck in front of the house I called out my son, and the young fella he had been supposedly slagging was there too, and we had a conversation. It was horrible and there was tears, but it turns out the two of them were at it. The young traveller had been slagging my son about a suicide in the family. So both of them were at it.

The problem was resolved (I hope) but one of the most amazing things that happened was this: when we (my wife and I) did the motivational stuff, i.e. saying stuff with both of them...like 'look you two guys have been in school since primary blah blah and we have always thought you were a great fella, and remember when we did the art project and you did that lovely picture etc etc...the traveller lad started to cry and had to leave.

We felt we had to take the issue to the school so they could keep an eye and told the liaison teacher of the boy crying and she said something that stunned me. She said, 'oh they cannot handle praise or positive stuff, because they are so used to negative reactions, they expect them'.

Having had that experience I knew that we as settled people have done something awful here. And we need to change, just as much as they do.

That is a true story.

Thats a nice story but did anyone else in the school bring trouble to your door .

And, no, it still doesnt justify ethnic status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

So we will never know where the other preferences went will we? If MDH is elected on first count. Maybe we will. Sorry am not up to date on the rules.
    You will, the dataset will be published eventually.

But if he's elected on the first count that's all the dataset will show.

We'll never know the where the transfers would have gone, they simply won't be counted.

• Advertisement

Moghead wrote: »
    Most of the people who voted for Casey will vote for FF or FG in the next election.

or won't vote at all, which is the saddest thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Will I'm off to bed. Great craic that PC got such a big vote, the too posh to work left will get upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So, what message might that be?

Peter Casey was on <2% a fortnight ago. A couple of reactionary and candid home truths see him absolutley sky rocket to >20%. That's a direct show of support from a good chunk of the general populace no matter what way your affiliations lie. The message is to the establishment and it is that you won't tell us how to vote or how to think. In fact, how dare you!?You won't silence us with labels and accusations of racism because we have the audacity to back someone who isn't afraid to critique something but they don't fall into your mould.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

As it stands... 650 (that includes my stake) . So 530.

Thats going towards an already booked (and well earned) holiday, for us.

Happy out.

Nice one man
    wish I had pulled the trigger a week or so ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I was talking to a fellow teacher today with over 30 years experience, and although he agreed about all the issues that exist his one hope for change was they young ones seem to be staying in school a bit longer. Some of them anyway. Slow progress but still progress.

There are many aspects of present traveller culture that is simply not sustainable, but there are no easy solutions.
    The idea of a hardline political system that will whip them into shape just won't work. We all have anecdotes of bad behaviour but short on solutions. "Wash the filth from our streets" isn't really a policy but sounds nice to some people.

It will be slow and may take a generation but I'm confident things will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Is there a possibility MDH goes below 50% first preference votes tommorow ?

Is there a breakdown available of where the support for Peter Casey came from.

I suspect it was mostly a rural vote.

Its an awful lot easier to ram your way into rural homes knowing you have a good chance of escaping in a high powered stolen car when the nearest Garda station is miles away.

Thats a nice story but did anyone else in the school bring trouble to your door .

Yes, I have had other parents at my door and I have been at a few. Rearing boys is not easy.

I didn't tell the story to justify SEMS, I told it to justify the journey settled people have to make if we want to resolve these resolvable issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

What i find funny is true to form of people looking to be in the right side of history, he sided against his son nearly immediately.

Its lucky the travellers had more composer and explained the full story of what was going on.

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »
    I was talking to a fellow teacher today with over 30 years experience, and although he agreed about all the issues that exist his one hope for change was they young ones seem to be staying in school a bit longer. Some of them anyway. Slow progress but still progress.

There are many aspects of present traveller culture that is simply not sustainable, but there are no easy solutions.
    The idea of a hardline political system that will whip them into shape just won't work. We all have anecdotes of bad behaviour but short on solutions. "Wash the filth from our streets" isn't really a policy but sounds nice to some people.

It will be slow and may take a generation but I'm confident things will improve.

How can you be confident things will improve when you see the carry on of Margaret Cash.

Seriously, take the cottonwool out of your ears.

How can any schools counteract the behaviour that is being modelled at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement