Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Now that it’s over a lot of TD will be looking at how much of the vote in their area that Peter got and will have sit up and take the finger out and listen to what the people are thinking,
    As for the shinners will have to rethink about their vote also and will have to start telling the correct facts and not the party line. For the woman candidate to not say sexual abuse carried out was wrong and spout the party line done no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yes, I have had other parents at my door and I have been at a few.

Did you kneecap them?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

tretorn wrote: »
    Thats a nice story but did anyone else in the school bring trouble to your door .

And, no, it still doesnt justify ethnic status.

From what I read a solution was brought to the door, not trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I was talking to a fellow teacher today with over 30 years experience, and although he agreed about all the issues that exist his one hope for change was they young ones seem to be staying in school a bit longer. Some of them anyway. Slow progress but still progress.There are many aspects of present traveller culture that is simply not sustainable, but there are no easy solutions.The idea of a hardline political system that will whip them into shape just won't work. We all have anecdotes of bad behaviour but short on solutions. "Wash the filth from our streets" isn't really a policy but sounds nice to some people.It will be slow and may take a generation but I'm confident things will improve.
    tretorn wrote: »
    joe40 wrote: »
    I was talking to a fellow teacher today with over 30 years experience, and although he agreed about all the issues that exist his one hope for change was they young ones seem to be staying in school a bit longer. Some of them anyway. Slow progress but still progress.

There are many aspects of present traveller culture that is simply not sustainable, but there are no easy solutions.
    The idea of a hardline political system that will whip them into shape just won't work. We all have anecdotes of bad behaviour but short on solutions. "Wash the filth from our streets" isn't really a policy but sounds nice to some people.

It will be slow and may take a generation but I'm confident things will improve.

How can you be confident things will improve when you see the carry on of Margaret Cash.

Seriously, take the cottonwool out of your ears.

How can any schools counteract the behaviour that is being modelled at home.
    They can try and fail a lot of the time. And then try again. What are your solutions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Jackman25 wrote: »
    What really bugged me was Martin Collins of Pavee Point on Prime Time.
    He was asked about the high proportion of traveller young offenders in Oberstown and his answer (unchallenged of course) was racism.
    Is it coz they are black ? They are fooking white just like us .

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Peter Casey was on <2% a fortnight ago. A couple of reactionary and candid home truths see him absolutley sky rocket to >20%. That's a direct show of support from a good chunk of the general populace no matter what way your affiliations lie.

Sorry now- a "good chunk of the general populace" have supported what, exactly?

"A good chunk of the populace" watch "I'm a celebrity..." But a "good chuck" ..in fact a greater "chunk", don't watch, that show, than do watch it.

So, are you saying that those who watch "I'm a celebrity..." want a less welfare state?

What about the jeremy kyle audience- how do you think they would have voted?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robp wrote: »
    The NHS doesn't run as well as you think it does. The only part of the Irish health system that works well is private or heavily private. Funny that. Private health is more efficient than public. Central planning just doesnt work. It just isnt efficent. And before you make the arguement that the US  has private and it is bad well that is not true. The US's free Medicare service is anything but private.

Of course the NHS doesn't work as well as it used to - Thatcher started the job of dismantling it and it never stopped. What is there now is far removed fro the original NHS.
    I have been lucky enough the NHS was there when I needed it. In the days before it was "private trusts".

One of the issues our public hospitals have is consultants doing private work while using their facilities. I have no problem if consultants want to do private work but not in public facilities. Do that in private facilities.

And what if there is no private hospital near you?
    Or, as happened my elderly father, the public ambulance takes you to the public hospital and the private consultant who will be well paid from the health insurance we pay refuses to transfer said father to a private hospital so elderly man with dementia spends 3 days on a trolley waiting for a bed.

The system we have is a messed up mish-mash of public and private which sees our most vulnerable lying on trolleys.

I know many Americans who are struggling to get proper healthcare who would disagree with your assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

But yet there has been no attempt to ask why over 20% of the turnout support Peter Caseys views.?

It's been written off as racism and bigotry instead of actually addressing the issue that Travellers need to look at themselves.

Ms. Cash has done them no favours, but they've all backed her.

The group that expect free houses, half acre gardens and stables? Where are the reasonable travellers speaking out against this?

It's all about Traveller discrimination with no ownership taken whatsoever for their own behaviour.

One way traffic .

Complete lack of ownership and accountability.

That's why people are fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭sonic85

How many generations have come and gone with no real effort at improvement though? I'd love to be optimistic but it'll take a lot more than a few extra kids staying in school to turn things around.

A serious question here - what can the settled community do to try move things along? What solutions are required to improve relations between the settled and traveling communities?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Calhoun wrote: »
    What i find funny is true to form of people looking to be in the right side of history, he sided against his son nearly immediately.

Its lucky the travellers had more composer and explained the full story of what was going on.

Yeh, Calhoun, that horrifying moment when you think your offspring has engaged in bigotry and prejudice. Not nice, if you are a parent.
    I am not a 'my boy can do no wrong' parent, despite how many parents like that I have met.
    Have to say the elder traveller lad was mature and as interested in a positive outcome as I was ...eventually. It was a lesson I will not forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

blinding wrote: »
    Jackman25 wrote: »
    What really bugged me was Martin Collins of Pavee Point on Prime Time.
    He was asked about the high proportion of traveller young offenders in Oberstown and his answer (unchallenged of course) was racism.
    Is it coz they are black ? They are fooking white just like us .
    I agree with you pavee point are a joke, the leadership there is very poor. Too reactionary and defensive, rather than facing up to real issues

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

anewme wrote: »
    But yet there has been no attempt to ask why over 20% of the turnout support Peter Caseys views.?

It's been written off as racism and bigotry instead of actually addressing the issue that Travellers need to look at themselves.

Ms. Cash has done them no favours, but they've all backed her.

The group that expect free houses, half acre gardens and stables? Where are the reasonable travellers speaking out against this?

It's all about Traveller discrimination with no ownership taken whatsoever for their own behaviour.

One way traffic .

Complete lack of ownership and accountability.

That's why people are fed up.

Well to be fair the vote hasn't officially happened yet and id say there will be variance so it might not be 20% he gets.

We will know more tomorrow, the conversation might start then.

From what I read a solution was brought to the door, not trouble.

Never thought of it like that...cheers!

Yeh, Calhoun, that horrifying moment when you think your offspring has engaged in bigotry and prejudice. Not nice, if you are a parent.
    I am not a 'my boy can do no wrong' parent, despite how many parents like that I have met.
    Have to say the elder traveller lad was mature and as interested in a positive outcome as I was ...eventually. It was a lesson I will not forget.

The realization that he's not supping the same coolaid and you might have to disown the wretch.

Like a feminist who has their male children hating themselves because they were born the wrong sex.

I hope your son turns out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Moghead wrote: »
    Most of the people who voted for Casey will vote for FF or FG in the next election.

Well of course ststiscally you are correct because most of the people who vote in the next GE will vote for FF or FG full stop.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Just a few days ago, Casey was 33/1 to come 2nd.
    Unbelievable value. Paddypower must be cleaned out!
    660 yoyos to the Sycamore Tree. Thank you very much!!!

anewme wrote: »

I heard they're all Jermey Kyle Show fanatics. Makes sense to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Irish Times exit poll claims 28% voted for Casey in Rural Ireland and 29% in Connaught/Ulster

Wohoo culchies FTW :)

sonic85 wrote: »
    How many generations have come and gone with no real effort at improvement though? I'd love to be optimistic but it'll take a lot more than a few extra kids staying in school to turn things around.

A serious question here - what can the settled community do to try move things along? What solutions are required to improve relations between the settled and traveling communities?

How about repudiating those who generalise about them and blame societies ills on them when the issue is actually across all society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Padraig Nally and Peter Casey, brave lads not afraid to be different.

• Advertisement

Leo, if you’re reading this. When you get up in the morning pull your socks up good and proper. You wanted a message so here’s mine.

Is there or is there not a law that states that all children up to the age of 16 must receive an education? Oh, really Leo, there is a law like that? So get on the phone and ring whomever is in charge of enforcing it and tell them to do their job! No ifs, no buts. You’ve passed through emergency legislation in your time haven’t you? Do it again then. Make it clear to each and every parent that failure to abide by the law will result in children’s benefit being suspended.

This divide can no longer be accepted. Children are being taken out of school with no opportunity to make a decision about what they’d like to be when they grow up. Their parents are not performing their duties and you, Leo, you’re turning a blind eye. You need to be cruel to those parents in order to be kind to those kids. Give them the chance to decide whether they want to be a lawyer, a layabout or a leader of our government if that interests them. Just put them first now and stop these damaging cycle.

SM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Moghead wrote: »
    Most of the people who voted for Casey will vote for FF or FG in the next election.
    Watch how much FFG will promise to do about Rural Crime now . Ok . it’ll probably just a promise but just watch them . Thank God the Rural people used this opportunity to voice their fear and concerns .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Of course the NHS doesn't work as well as it used to - Thatcher started the job of dismantling it and it never stopped. What is there now is far removed fro the original NHS.
    I have been lucky enough the NHS was there when I needed it. In the days before it was "private trusts".

One of the issues our public hospitals have is consultants doing private work while using their facilities. I have no problem if consultants want to do private work but not in public facilities. Do that in private facilities.

And what if there is no private hospital near you?
    Or, as happened my elderly father, the public ambulance takes you to the public hospital and the private consultant who will be well paid from the health insurance we pay refuses to transfer said father to a private hospital so elderly man with dementia spends 3 days on a trolley waiting for a bed.

The system we have is a messed up mish-mash of public and private which sees our most vulnerable lying on trolleys.

I know many Americans who are struggling to get proper healthcare who would disagree with your assessment.

Has youur father private health insurance, sorry this isnt clear.

If he hasnt then the consultant wont transfer him to a private hospital unless he has the cash in his pocket to pay for private treatment.

The consultants also wont provide any service to public hospitals unless they can access beds for their private patients, this deal was done with the hSE in order to entice consultants out of private hospitals. If the consultants wont do public work then public patients will languish ven longer waiting for treatment.

Calhoun wrote: »
    The realization that he's not supping the same coolaid and you might have to disown the wretch.

Like a feminist who has their male children hating themselves because they were born the wrong sex.

I hope your son turns out ok.

What would you have done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

sonic85 wrote: »

Very little.

There's nothing anyone, much less Peter Casey will do to help travellers integrate.

It will have to come from within. Increase education and college attendence would be a major step.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

blinding wrote: »
    Watch how much FFG will promise to do about Rural Crime now . Ok . it’ll probably just a promise but just watch them . Thang God the Rural people used this opportunity to voice their fear and concerns .
    Nearly 30% of rural Ireland voted Casey, if that doesn't send a message nothing will.

What would you have done?

Probably would have heard my son out as well before losing the plot with him. All i have to go on is how i read the story and from the looks of it two lads turn up at the door and you immediately sided with them.

Nearly 30% of rural Ireland voted Casey, if that doesn't send a message nothing will.

What message would that be now? Bring back Glenroe on a Sunday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I heard they're all Jermey Kyle Show fanatics. Makes sense to me.

The Travellers are Jeremy Kyle fanatics?

Never heard that before.

Not sure where that's come from???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Leo, if you’re reading this. When you get up in the morning pull your socks up good and proper. You wanted a message so here’s mine.

Is there or is there not a law that states that all children up to the age of 16 must receive an education? Oh, really Leo, there is a law like that? So get on the phone and ring whomever is in charge of enforcing it and tell them to do their job! No ifs, no buts. You’ve passed through emergency legislation in your time haven’t you? Do it again then. Make it clear to each and every parent that failure to abide by the law will result in children’s benefit being suspended.

This divide can no longer be accepted. Children are being taken out of school with no opportunity to make a decision about what they’d like to be when they grow up. Their parents are not performing their duties and you, Leo, you’re turning a blind eye. You need to be cruel to those parents in order to be kind to those kids. Give them the chance to decide whether they want to be a lawyer, a layabout or a leader of our government if that interests them. Just put them first now and stop these damaging cycle.

SM

Home school liasions (dunno the correct name) who are the first port of call to try ensure kids get an education were slashed massively resource wise during the downturn. The numbers haven't remotely recovered yet. I agree, fund this essential service properly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement